News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New to Ren fairs

Started by Swampboy, December 16, 2008, 09:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampboy

Hello there,

I am new to Renfairs and would like to visit several next year. What do you think are the top 5 fairs to visit? I'm really not looking to start an argument over who has the best so hopefully people can voice their opinions without arguing over it L) ...I plan on travelling so proximity is not an issue.

Thanks for your help!

btw, is there such a thing as a couple magzines dedicated to Renaissance festivals?

Al-Nimer

Quote from: Swampboy on December 16, 2008, 09:17:35 PM
btw, is there such a thing as a couple magzines dedicated to Renaissance festivals?
I know of at least one magazine called Renaissance that you should be able to find at the newsstands.  Our local Borders has it.

As far as Festivals, being in Texas, of course we are partial to our home of Scarborough (April-May), and Texas Renaissance Festival is not to be missed.  We would love to go to Bristol, but traveling that far is not in our budget right now.  We also like Four Winds Faire (coming up in March-April).  If you use the Faire Directory link at the top of every page here, you can browse by state.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

Lord Clisto of York

Well, depending where you are from makes a difference. Everyone has their favorites, but demographically, that helps.

PS - There is also the brand NEW "Faire Magazine" at - www.fairemagazine.com  Just thought I would plug that for them.

Sir Clisto of York
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Celtic Lady

I'm originally from Michigan so I have to say MiRF (Michigan Renaissance Festival). This year we went back and had a great time as we did two years ago. Last year we went to MnRF and had fun time despite the rain.
Des Moines's ren faire is young but shows lots of promise. This year was (I believe) their third year with a permanent site. The change from last year to this was very noticeable. We had a fun time last year but an even better one this year.

Lady L

I would have to say Minnesota Renaissance Festival, because it is one of the largest and longest running faires. Plus, I have a shop there. ;D
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Var Greyshadow

I'll second Scarborough and Texas Ren Fest, as well as Minnesota (which I had a chance to visit a couple of years ago). 

I'll also add Louisiana to the list of smaller faires worth seeing.  The site is built around a lovely little lake and one of the pubs actually serves liquor (not just beer, wine and mead).
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

DonaCatalina

Although I'll maintain the value of Scarby and TRF before all others, Kansas City and Colorado are very good faires with lots of freindly people.
TRF forum
Scarby Forum
Kansas Forum
Colorado Forum
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady_Glorianna

welcome to faire and to the forum. You might consider adding to your list the gathering from this forum over labor day weekend at the Maryland Renaissance Festival. ;)
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

RumbaRue

Well being in the San Diego area of Calif. I wholly support the Escondido Ren-faires that are held twice a year (spring and fall) for two weekends, terrific site and great people.

Also having been to the Arizona Renaissance Faire, they are very good too and I highly recommend it.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Whistler Fred

I've performed at both the Bristol and Michigan RenFests and can highly recommend both of them.  I've also spent a happy afternoon at the KC and Greater St. Louis faires.  But there are many faires that I've never been to but have heard good things about, such as Scarborough, Great Lakes, and Minnesota (maybe someday I'll get to those).  I've also been to smaller faires in the Illinois/Wisconsin Area that are well worth visiting, with the Stronghold Olde English Faire a particular favorite.

Okay, that's more than five, but I'm in a gererous mood!  ;D

Whistler Fred (Lauritzen)

"Get ready for the Whistler.  I'll whistle along on the seventh day."  Ian Anderson

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

Welcome Swampboy, I will have to say also that Faire Magazine is a great magazine. It's all about faires, and tells you about different things at faires. You'll love it! Also MDRF is hosting Rendevous on Labor Day weekend. Thats Rennies from all over coming here for a 3 day PARTY.Come join us. Last, go to the Greetings Friend section and introduce yourself to everyone so they know your here.Good to meet you and you'll love it here.Everyone is so kind and helpful. ;)  :D  ;)  :D
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Carl Heinz

The Southern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire (RPFS) is the original and still retains much of the flavor.  It's currently located in Irwindale, CA, which is about thirty miles east of Los Angeles.  It's also my home faire so I'm a bit biased.

It runs from the latter part of April thru early June.

As you experience more faires, you'll probably find that some have a fairly small number of theme characters while others have a large number of theme characters and costumed participants.  RPFS is in the latter category.

Last I heard, there was a half price sale going on at http://www.renfair.com/socal/tickets/holidayTix.php
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Lady Neysa

Welcome Swampboy!  You'll  find a wealth of info on these forums for just about anything faire related you can imagine.  This is a fine group of folks that in time will seem like family to you.  If you are ever in Maryland,  the MD Renaissance festival (my home faire)  is not to be missed!  Also close by is  the Pennsylvania Ren faire.  Both Renaissance Magazine and Faire Magazine are great sources of info and nice to collect.  Ren. Magazine seems to deal more with real history with the occasional faire related article thrown in.  Faire Magazine is brand new and focuses solely on faires.  (The premier issue was very nice.)  Hope this helps and welcome again to the world of the rennie! 

CecilsTanequin

If travel is not an issue, then let me suggest Bristol (wi/il border).

It's a medium-large permanent site with great entertainment and what you can find at Bristol that you can't at most other faires is the sense of a real english town with supurb historical elements such as the military camp and Elizabeth's court. There's a ton to do at Bristol even for those who don't feel like spending a lot after they come in. The fantasticals, kid's kingdom cast, street cast, fight cast, military (guilde of st. michael), and the court (guilde of st. george) are all non-busking casts that love playing with and entertaining their patrons for the sole purpose of creating a good time for all. And Bristol never does "Spectacle" on a small scale. I personally gaurantee that if you come you won't regret it and if you don't enjoy yourself 100% come find me at the end of the day (let me know when you're coming and I'll let you know where I'll be) and I'll pay you the ticket cost. Seriously.

Here's Bristol's website: http://www.bristolfaire.com/bristol/
and here's a photographer who's stunning shots can give you an idea of the sights awaiting you there: http://www.fairephotography.com/rengalleries.html

Hope to see you there!
Kat Brown
Guilde of St. George - Bristol
'07-'08 Lady Anne Cecil
'09-'12 Mistress Mary Radcliffe

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I'd have to 2nd Colorado as there is no other fair elike it. No other faire is in the mountains. Larkspurshire sitting 6727 feet above sea level making it the hightest faire in the Continintal US. It is very beautiful but it is built on a hill so almost every where you walk is up hill and can wear on those not in shape or use to the Colorado altitude.  Colorado is also one of the larger faires and is going on 33rd year. As one person told e after seeing photo's from CoRF they would make CoRF a top priority to visit and this person has been to TRF, Scarby, PRF, MNRF, ARF and many other's.

But I must say if you cannot visit CoRF I'd maje TRF, Scarby and ARF top priorities. At least those three are mine.

OH and yes Coloradoans are very friendly people.  ;D
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Carl Heinz

Agree about Bristol.  The same company owns both RPFS and Bristol.

In the past, they've shared entertainment directors.

If you're driving a motorhome and pulling a car, beware of I-70 west of Denver.  It's a very steep grade.  Stopped twice the last time to make sure the wheels on the car hadn't locked. :)
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Carl Heinz on December 18, 2008, 12:06:15 PM
Agree about Bristol.  The same company owns both RPFS and Bristol.

In the past, they've shared entertainment directors.

If you're driving a motorhome and pulling a car, beware of I-70 west of Denver.  It's a very steep grade.  Stopped twice the last time to make sure the wheels on the car hadn't locked. :)

I-70 isn't bad unless your a flat lander... now Rabbit Ears into Steamboat Springs or Wolf Creek pass. There is another but I cannot think of it right now. But I-70 not that steep really at least to a native and a vehicles used to that grade.

So yes if your a flat lander be prepared
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Carl Heinz

We were driving a 35' diesel Bounder with a 325hp engine and pretty massive torque pulling a Ford Edge that weighs around 4100 lbs.  It almost felt like we were rolling backwards in a couple of spots.  I'll have to admit that westbound was much easier, but the grade is extended around two more miles.

Unfortunately, it was also a Sunday afternoon.  We'd just started downhill when we hit the traffic headed back into Denver.  Sigh.  Worse than most LA commutes.  When I mentioned it to some folks at the RV park east of Denver, they just chuckled and said they knew what I meant.

So, I suspect that if we manage to make it to the Colorado faire, we'd probably park the RV and drive to it.

Unfortunately, travels are in limbo until the stock market gets back up.  We've had to put a clamp on discretionary spending for the present.  Lets me get more reading done, though.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Carl Heinz on December 18, 2008, 02:01:19 PM

Unfortunately, it was also a Sunday afternoon.  We'd just started downhill when we hit the traffic headed back into Denver.  Sigh.  Worse than most LA commutes.  When I mentioned it to some folks at the RV park east of Denver, they just chuckled and said they knew what I meant.

So, I suspect that if we manage to make it to the Colorado faire, we'd probably park the RV and drive to it.

Unfortunately, travels are in limbo until the stock market gets back up.  We've had to put a clamp on discretionary spending for the present.  Lets me get more reading done, though.

There are times of the day to avoid I-70 west of Denver. But you'd be lucky most days not to get stuck in traffic as there are a ton of avalanche removals on that road and this alone blocks off the road for many hours. I can remember one visit I had going east bound and sat for about 1.5 to 2 hours because of rock removal.

The problem with most out of state vehicles are not optimised for the Colorado altitude and thus have issues for the mountains. One fellow I work with took his mother up I-70 this past weekend and said he could only do 50 to 55 up the mountain with his Ford Explorer 6 cylinder. My 6 cylinder X-Terra has no issue withthe mountains and we use it on steep hills and have no problems with it lugging down. But then again an X-Terra is designed for this kind of thing but I would imagine that those not from the mountains states wouldn't be as officiant out here.

I think the economy has hurt a lot of faire travel especially those of us who are lower class or lower middle class and even middle middle class. OH well lets home the new year brings an improvement to everyones economical woes.
"The Metal Maiden"

BLAKDUKE

I know this used to be true with older cars that did not have fuel injection and had instead old fashioned carbs. The dealer in the Denver area would have to re-jet the carbs to allow for the mile high altitude.  I have a suspicion that fuel injected cars may have somewhat the same affliction.  Cars need to be set up differently if they are being used in climate like that.   A six cylinder car from out of sate would perform worse than a six cylinder car that was sold in the Denver area.   Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong....
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Carl Heinz

About three years ago, my sister and I drove my old fart car (2004 Lincoln Town Car) over the same route with no problems.  (Pre-motor home and Judy hadn't retired yet.)  We did have to have a tire repaired while at our stop in Denver--slow leak from a nail.  Can't blame that on the altitute, though.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert