News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What kind of fabric?

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, December 17, 2008, 12:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Ok, and now I'm *totally* veering off-topic, but this had me wondering:

QuoteAnother thing to remember is that the very finest garb of the Viking era would be dresses that were gathered/pleated with multiple threads. The garb was then soaked, and when dry these threads would be removed, making very fine pleats/wrinkles/gathers. This would have to be repeated next time the garb was worn, and was therefore only worn at important occasions.

Do you know if this is also how the Egyptians achieved those impossibly fine knife pleats in their (impossibly sheer) gowns?

operafantomet

Quote from: gem on December 19, 2008, 03:48:48 PM
Ok, and now I'm *totally* veering off-topic, but this had me wondering:

QuoteAnother thing to remember is that the very finest garb of the Viking era would be dresses that were gathered/pleated with multiple threads. The garb was then soaked, and when dry these threads would be removed, making very fine pleats/wrinkles/gathers. This would have to be repeated next time the garb was worn, and was therefore only worn at important occasions.

Do you know if this is also how the Egyptians achieved those impossibly fine knife pleats in their (impossibly sheer) gowns?
To be honest, I have no idea. I know all too little of ancient Egyptian clothing... But it sounds plausible.

Devlyn

I'm going to second the symphony broadcloth vote. I like a nice brushed poly cotton blend for my skirts (and will soon be switching over to using this for most of my lightweight solid garb pieces)  because it doesn't shrink badly, mostly color fast, doesn't fade, doesn't pill, doesn't wrinkle, easy care and it breathes like a dream.

If you want 100% cotton, I'd go with the country classics line from Joann. If you want muslin, it's always cheap (but shrinks and wrinkles a lot). Don't use the Joann brand, get Roclon.

Willemyne

I'd recommend linen regardless. I have to travel to events anyway so they get roll or fold lines from being in bags.
The easiest way to avoid needing to iron them is to dry them like you see in artwork. So you thread them through a line- sleeves outstretched in the breeze. Take them down, fold them up, no worries. Or just peg them regularly with sleeves outstretched if you can't thread them through.

My sheer chemise has never been ironed. I also have a few heavier weight chemises when are wonderfully cool in summer and warm in winter. They are cooler than cotton voile by a long way even though they are heavier. And no, they don't get ironed either.

I save the ironing for the ruffs... and partlets.

Kate XXXXXX

Save the iron for the bits that show.  Tumble dry the rest and grab it out of the dryer warm, hang to cool, and it'll do fine.

Fine linen looks fine lightly rumpled like this, and creases less in wear than ironed linen.

Taffy Saltwater

I use what Joann's calls "quilting fabric" - a cotton/poly blend & prewash it before sewing.  Wash & pop out of the dryer while still a bit damp & hang up.  I've never had to iron it (or had the burning desire to do so) and use a natural color w/a bit of very light patterning - because it's purty & I am a Messy Marvin.

If you're staying at a hotel, pop that sucker on a hanger & let it steam in the bathroom while you & DH shower.  Or use wrinkle remover spray.
Sveethot!