News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Eddie Murphy as the Riddler?

Started by *Teach*, December 18, 2008, 03:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

*Teach*

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,469305,00.html
I just don't know about that one...
When Jack played the Joker, I thought it was awesome if still a bit campy
Heath took it up a huge step forward making the villian much darker and better

I am afraid that Eddie will take that step back as a comic and go into being campy again
Anyone else have that fear?

and who would you pick instead?
I personally think that Robin Williams has a fantastic acting skill that could definitely do it
The Lovely Lady Trinn thinks Tom Cruise would make a good one (crazy as he is anyways)
I also think that Johnny Depp has some serious skills at playing unusual characters and making them believable

your thoughts?

*Pull up a mug of rum and let's geek out over Batman!*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

renfairephotog

Steve Buscemi  would make a good villian,

I agree with you on Eddie Murphy. And speaking of camp and that horrible movie,  lets give the role to the man that should have played it to begin with. I don't care that he's in X-men, I want to see Patrick Stewart as Mr. Frezze.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

LadyShadow

I completely agree Eddie Murphy would not do a good job.  I agree with Teach on some of the picks he has chosen.

Although I must disagree about Tom Cruise in that role.  I do not think he is well fit for that role.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Lord Dragonspyre

One must remember that in the comic books, the Riddler is not the Frank Gorshin/Jim Carrey Joker-clone from the 1960's camp TV show.

The Riddler is a smooth-talking and HIGHLY intellectual person who suffers from an intense obsessive compulsive disorder regarding riddles.

Who better to pull off a role like that than Kevin Spacey?

Alternately, I think David Tennant could also pull off The Riddler
Corrupting Impressionable Youths Since 1976.

IBRSC#1475, RMG#820, IFRP#1276
Horseman of Debauchery

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Eddie Murphy as the Riddler is a HORRIBLE choice as far as I can see. Seems three strikes and kill a sequal may continue with the third installment of the Dark Knight.

I do think Depp would be awesome

Bad Choices? Cruise!!!
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

*Teach*

I just thought of another choice
Will Smith
I would not have thought of it except for "I am Legend"
I did not like Legend at all, but that kind of brilliant insanity would fit in quite well as a Riddler.

I disagree on the cruise thing... I think that could work really.
He's already smart and nuts... so... hey lol

Stewart as Freeze? Can we say Locutus redo? lol That would work though...

*Wonder if Freeze carries chilled rum...*

maelstrom0370

I read that about Eddie Murphy as well.  Another article also listed Shia LaBouf as Robin.  I did some looking into it and from what I can tell, so far no one is actually contracted for the next Batman and Chris Nolan has gone on the record saying there is no place for Robin in his vision of Batman.

If I had to pick:

Riddler: Johnny Depp (although he seems to be in everything these days) or Kevin Spacey
Penguin: Philip Seymour Hoffman, hands down
Cat Woman: I liked the idea I read of a non-sex symbol Cat Woman so I'd go with Tilda Swinton

My first thought when reading the Eddie Murphy/Shia LaBouf thing was that Nolan had decided there was no way he'd top Dark Knight so he decided to go all Thomas Harris with the 3rd installment. (Harris didn't want to do another Hannibal Lechter book but he was pressured to do so.  Hannibal was about as slap-dash as he could make it and the ending was as improbable as he could think of.)

Drake Starsong

The riddler is not an Eddie Murphy part by any means, the riddler is one demented character, he starts off as a good guy (or so we think) then he becomes obsessed with finding batmans identity

As of now from all the news I've read was that Johnny Depp was the front runner, but I read that a few months ago...

I thought Jim Carey did a good job in the originals, and I wouldn't mind seeing him back, he has definitely took on enough serious roles since then and I think he could pull it off better now.
Yo ho Yo ho!

*Teach*

Just had an unusual thought...
Cindy Lauper as Harley Quinn
I have only seen her act in two rolls, but that voice of hers would be perfect!
Dunno why it just struck my mind... but it sounds like fun!

*no matter how much rum I drink I don't think I could make that high a squeeky voice*