News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Footware to go with a kilt

Started by Cormac, December 20, 2008, 08:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brier patch charlie

You should check out Loyalistarms.com they have some real nice hand cobbled leather buckel shoes for $135, and I have a pair being made right now. The type I is the right style shoe for mid 17 centry thats what I went with, they have boots also.
Charles Coleman

Hatter

I wear a pair of rough made  5 button Catskill boots.  This would take you over budget, however you could get closer to budget by going thorough Sodhoppers.

Amras Elfwine

Hmmm, aside from hunting and skinning a deer to make your own rustic hide moc-boots, a pair of comfortable ghillies is all you'll ever need!

Cheers!!
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

calien

I'm a huge  fan of the  Cuarans  when doing  anything  that  pre dates  the 17th cent then I  go  with with  ECW  shoes  then I move up to Straight   latched buckle shoes  ....boots with a Kilt  to  be  just look plain ole dopey... And i  have never  seen in documentation  written , picture  or otherwise  that   and highlander  wore boots with a feilidh-mor...(the great  Kilt)

Now that  with   being  said  the style  of gillie i have seen   sold at  most  ren fairs if  memory  serves  me correctly  is a much  earlyer  Stly of show that  is  kinda sorta  based  on a roman   shoe  but like  most  thing  sold  at  the fairs  that  are  toted as  being  historically(hell  even culturally accurate  one really has to  live  by the ole adage "Caveat emptor" (Latin for  buyer beware).....

Collin

groomporter

Best thing I did with a pair of hand made ghillies? I had a pair of loafers that blew out the sides. The soles of my ghillies were wearing out and I took apart the loafers and glued the soles on the inside of the ghillies to get some more years out of them.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Celtic Lady

I got my ghillies from Medieval Moccasins http://www.medievalmoccasins.com . I was really happy with how my feet felt wearing them.

duffy

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on December 21, 2008, 11:29:31 AM
My guy has settled on kilted pirate for his character

just curious, is there a such thing as a kilted pirate? not being snippy, just wondering. if i go to pirate weekend this year i could still wear my kilt. ;D

Julianne

Quote from: duffy on January 13, 2009, 04:28:04 PM
Quote from: Rani Zemirah on December 21, 2008, 11:29:31 AM
My guy has settled on kilted pirate for his character

just curious, is there a such thing as a kilted pirate? not being snippy, just wondering. if i go to pirate weekend this year i could still wear my kilt. ;D

heeeheee heee ;D

Not laughing at you lad....just at your question.
Of course their are kilted pirates. 
Perhaps you need to discuss your garb and persona interests with such folks as Capt. Barcardi or Dead Bishop and the list could go on and on.

And on that note...I'm thinking I should perhaps revive this entire Celtic Corner Forum with a thread.....
"Celtic Pirates...
...what say you all?  have something to share?  Stories and Legends? Interested?

Rani Zemirah

Well, there is an instance of at least one that was dug up by someone here, in a thread in Port of Call, I think, (Redlegs someone or other in the thread Kilted Pirates) but not many in history, I'm sure...

Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Muffin

Aye.... Kilted Pirates.. The very best of both worlds!!!  :-*

Even Blue has a kilt now... hee hee!!!
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

duffy

those ghilles boots are kind of expensive. so i was thinking a set of minnetonka moccasin boots with the fringe cut off and the tongue removed would look very similar, or just leave the tongue.

iain robb

I've been wearing ghillie-style sandal/mocassins with my kilts. It's been bad enough getting rocks and stuff in my shoes, but they've started to come apart.

So this past weekend at the Florida Renaissance Festival, I put down a hefty deposit on a pair of Catskill Mocassins 10-button boots. Somebody please tell me that this was a good investment. Please.

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: groomporter on December 21, 2008, 06:41:10 PM
I've got some links to patterns for ghillies and related shoes and the bottom of the page here
http://www.historicgames.com/Scottishstuff/ghillies.html

Period accurate!  The only way to go.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

I have the Loyalist shoes mentioned above.  You wait MONTHS for them. THey are 97 % period correect in construction for 1710 or so.  Well made.  Comfort? well thats relative.  It takes a while to break them in,
with the wooden soles and all, but a great deal at $135.  You could spend a lot more and not get something this period.

We got a Burns Dinner on Apl 3, and I am wearing mine! Kilted pirates take over!
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

Jack Daw at Work

I used to wear Medieval Moccasin boots, but recently replaced them with some bog shoes, which I wore for the first time last Fall.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."