News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Friends and Adventurers

Started by Martin Montgomery, December 23, 2008, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Montgomery

The light spilling past the cold-frosted windows of the public house known as the "Rover's Roost" gathered in ruddy pools in the stone walled yard of the rambling three storied structure. Boisterous voices raised in drunken song fought with the strains of a pair of fiddles and a squeezebox and the ruckus found it's way past the real glass windows that were the house owners pride and joy. Smoke wafting from the "Roost's" chimney bespoke volumes to the small man hidden in the shadows of the livery,where the wagons and mounts of the tax collectors that were now inside had been stored. Shamrall rubbed his nearly frozen hands together and tried once more to coax his picks into the keyhole of a large lock that graced the huge wooden doors. "I swear Shamrall m'boy if you ever talk yourself into another hairbrained scheme such as this,I'll not be ........OH! " The self defacing litany stopped as the heavy iron lock rattled once more then popped open. Checking over his shoulder,the would be thief made sure that the tiny noise of the lock opening hadn't alerted the Taxmen's Guards. The music kept playing and the singing didn't stop so,he removed the lock and gently opened the right side door wide enough to slip through. Thankfull for the relative warmth of the stable he set about checking on the guard that had been left behind,locked inside the stable with the animals,the wagon and one uninvited thief! "Ouch!" The short man looked at the nasty bruise gracing the forehead of the young human guard asleep on the straw of an unoccupied stall,his hands and feet bound with leather cut from spare harnesses  "I won't say that you won't wake with a devil of a headache,but you can tell them that you fell defending your charge from four,No! Five huge bandits! No Orcs!! Each one a Warrior,armed to the teeth,and looking for Human flesh! You'll be a Hero!!" Shamrall had rode into the stone walled yard,slung under the guards own cook-wagon! He had sneaked into their camp that morning and tied himself in position,then his own personal Hell had started! It began to rain and cold water had splashed him until he was nearly frozen,the cook took no care in driving AROUND the deeper puddles,his sturdy wagon was drawn by a pair of Percheron that were notoriously hard to steer so he just went straight through the holes,over stumps and through stands of thorns that could tear leather like tissue paper! To top that,the cook knew only two songs,and had either sang them at the top of his voice or cursed the huge draft horses!  At least one thing went right today,Shamrall hadn't counted on the rain,or the effects it would have on a shallow river crossing!!  The unfortunate man had been sleeping fitfully when a bone-chillingly cold dunking had shocked him awake!!!! Luckily he hadn't screamed as the water rose to where only his head was above the fast flowing water! After the guards had searched the stable,and found nothing untoward,they had still left the young Guard locked inside! Shamrall had silently cut himself free of the twisted mess that had been his sling,then knocked the man out with a horseshoe to the temple. He then discovered that the door had been locked from the outside!! So,squeezing himself out of a small window he had then spent almost twenty minutes picking the lock!! Far behind his schedule,the thief readied the two wagons,hitching their respective teams up. Then,after piling the Guards' saddles,tack and extra weapons on the floor of the cook wagon he looked deeply into the eyes of the old draft horses "There are two young fillies waiting for you back at your home pasture,do not stop for anything or they will not be there when you arrive!" Drawing on his limited training from a White Mage he had had some success when compelling higher animals to follow his suggestions. To make sure he did it twice on each animal. Crossing to the doors Shamrall still heard music but the singing had quieted down to two voices,the Cook and the Guard Captain, "Probably the only two still awake and not passed out!" The little man snorted, he himself only partook of the bottle infrequently and with disastrous results! He carefully avoided the still bright pools of light from the windows he crossed the yard and removed the two wood poles where a gate should have hung and hurried back to the stable. Opening the doors wide he led the Percheron through and spoke the keywords he had implanted in their minds "Go Get 'Em Boys!" The pair took off in a rush,going out the gateway,they followed the road to the East towards their home pasture and the Castle of the King-Regent,the Ruler of the Land until  Prince Toidi's Eighteenth birthday,Five years hence. Rushing back to the waiting wagon he scrambled up into the seat and calmly drove it out the stable doors,through the gateway and towards the West!!   
Half the man I used to be!! 
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

Sonata

Birgitta waited in a dim corner of the Rover's Roost's common room, savoring a glass of mild wine. She stepped back a bit deeper into the shadows, a protective hand over the harp slung across her chest, as some of the more boisterous patrons stumbled past on their way to the bar.

She had stopped here before in her travels - not frequently, but often enough that the tavern keeper knew her and would offer a night's food and lodging plus stabling her horse in exchange for a few tunes and perhaps a song or two.  She was in luck this night. Normally her 'lodging' consisted of permission to bed down in the stable with her mare, but this eve the tavern was graced with the presence of the King's tax-gatherer and the stables were off-limits. In consequence, she had been granted the rare treat of a free night in a real bed.

Thoughts of the luxury of a mattress (even one likely to be stuffed with corn shucks) drew her mind later in the evening. She was  taking her turn at playing while the fiddlers took their turn at the bar, and the crowd had quieted somewhat - the better to listen or simply because most were too far gone in their cups to cause much ruckus. Either way, she was glad of the lull.  She could hear the faint voice of the cook following her melody from the kitchens, and the somewhat louder drone of the Guard Captain as he sang to himself at the bar. Hearing a sudden rumble of hoof beats from the direction of the stable, she started a bit, fingers twanging the harp strings harshly. She smiled at the Guard Captain's startled look as she played through the last few measures, then slid from the stool, curtsied slightly, and inclined her head toward the back door. "If you would excuse me but a moment," she murmured as she slipped out toward the privy.

Once away from the windows, she darted toward the stables. They were supposed to be locked! She had to check on her mare, Piggy, and the contents of her saddlebags. She snarled in frustration at the sight of the stable doors hanging empty, and the conspicuous absence of any wagon or cart other than the one the tavern keeper used for fetching home supplies from the market.  Hurrying to Piggy's stall, she puffed out a sigh of relief to find her mare still in the stall she'd been assigned to, and all her tack still hanging on the pegs where she'd left it.

Birgitta hastily weighed the pros and cons of the situation. As a bard, she doubted she'd be held under suspicion even if she left right away, whereas if she stayed she'd doubtless be subject to untold delay in the morning when the theft was discovered and the guards began making a show of diligence in the face of the missing tax money.

With a brisk nod she made up her mind. After making sure that her harp was well-secured in its padded leather case, she quickly tacked up Piggy, mounted, and left the stable yard at a walk. Once she was far enough from the tavern for the hoof beats not to be noticed, she eased Piggy up into a trot and headed toward the next largish town - Ravensfort, to the west.
Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the fallen angel meets the rising ape. Terry Pratchett

SarviaRose

Eirwen watched the stream flow past her house, so many years before her family, friends, and her love had played and fished in that stream. Now it was only her who stayed in the village, she couldn't leave it she always returned even for just a day. She knew she would be leaving soon. She had been hired to track an assassin, she didn't feel any joy the job but it was work and kept her mind busy.

She packed up a few belongs and looked around the house one last time before leaving. As she exited she said a spell of protection around it. Eirwen could feel the strong emotions that made her not able to give up this place or not stay for any length of time. She took off in run heading north as fast as she could.

When night came she had traveled a great distance from the house. She could a safe place to camp just off the main road for the evening and went to hunt for some food. She easily found a here and headed back to her camp, and over her little fire cooked it the meat. When she was done she laid down and slept.

In the early morning she heard horses coming and her reflexes kicked in, she jumped up alert. Her fire had long burned down so she crouched behind the trees and brushes.
Morale Ofc of the Bayou Scoundrel, ETTE, IFRP

Lady Amy of York

Jade  stood looking  out  the  castle  window.   It was  quiet  and  lonely  here  in the  castle  during  the  winter time.    The  forest animals  that she  would  play with  the  rest of  the year were hibernating  for  the  winter.    She let out a  sigh.   How  she  wished  for  someone  to come  visit, but who would  come   visit    this  part of  the   woods,  especially this  time of year. She  closed  her eyes     for  a few   seconds  and  her mind  visioned  a handsome  prince  on a white  horse  coming   to carry  her  off.   Then  she  opened  her eyes  and  looked out the  window  as the snow  started to fall harder.
   No  one in their   right  mind  would  be  caught out in a storm  like  this.   She  heard     the old  woman who was her gaurdian call for her to come   to supper.
  " I'm coming  Sarah,"  she  called  as she    hurried  down  the  steps.

Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Martin Montgomery

Riding on the high driver's seat and keeping the team moving at a good clip, Shamrall was feeling very content with how the theft of the sturdy coach had gone. Certainly it hadn't all gone as he had planned,but here he was swaying along with not one but two chests plus the well built coach with a matched pair of Percheron too! "I may have finally found my true lives work!" He mused aloud "I can become a successful bandit or road agent!" Looking back over the roof of the coach at the dark road behind him "Every mile that I put between myself and those Guards is a measure of safety,so I believe I'll keep this pace and watch the horses,so they don't founder,and I should reach Ravensfort by noon today. I wonder if any of those Guards will have the stomach or the stones to ride those brutes of theirs without pads and saddles!!" Snorting with mirth he turned back to the road ahead and suddenly found himself airborn!! While he had been watching the road behind,the road ahead had turned rougher than expected. The right front wheel had found a deep rut and it's oaken stave's shattered when the rim hit the bottom! The "Successfull Bandit" Halfling twisted in midair and tucked his chin to his chest,taking the force of the fall on his shoulder,tumbling several times he rolled to his feet with the ease of a skilled acrobat as the momentum of his fall abated. Catching sight of the coach's team,unhurt and running wildly as they disappeared into the dark forest ahead,dragging the coach's broken drawbar behind them!! Turning back to the coach,which now rested on it's side after rolling completely over,the small man shook his head with disbelief. "I don't BELIEVE this!!! I just went from Rich Bandit to Poor Pedestrian!! The coach,Gone! The horses,Gone! The Treasures?!?" Jogging towards the remnants of the heavy coach,he clambered up on top and wrenched the twisted door open. A look of awe and fear crossed his mobile face as he saw the two boxes that were the only contents of the "Special Coach". He had assumed that because of the Guards presence there would be gold,silver or precious gems inside. Instead he saw one of the boxes had broken open and a tiny furred body lay bleeding,it's head had been caved in during the violent crash. " Oh Noooo......!!" Shamrall whispered "Not Monkey-Hawks!!!"" Dark blood soaked it's broken wings and the shimmering feathers soaked up the crimson color as if they were sponges. As the stunned Halfling watched with horror the door of the second box,that had been wrenched free of it's straps but not broken open, was pushed outward and a screeching wail of pure loss threatened to deafen the small man. A second Monkey-Hawk,obviously male,dragged itself out and bent over the twisted body of it's mate. Delicate hands smoothed the fur of the undamaged side the tiny female's head and a sob escaped his lips,which turned into a blood cudling howl as the male turned his piercing gaze onto Shamrall! Lips pulled back to show impressively sized canines and it barked out a single recognizable word  "Murderer!!" The Halfling quickly backed up from the doorway as the Male leaped upward it's slashing talons missing his neck by mere inches!!!  His move saved his neck but it caused the small man to fall off the coach's side! He hit hard and laying there he watched as the Magicly created beast took to the air! Circling three times it surveyed the wrecksite and then turned to the East. "Run Little Man!!! Run and hide!!  I come back with Guards!! Then you DIE!!!!" The beast disappeared from his sight and Shamrall whispered to himself "OHHHHHH Yeah!! This is Perfect!!"
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

Lady Amy of York

After having her dinner, Jade  decided   to   go outside  and  enjoy  the  new fallen snow.   She stepped outside and ran thru the  snow laughing like  a child.  Suddenly  she  felt a certian chill in  the air, and it was not  from  the  cold  winter weather.    Then she saw   some of the  forest  creatures  come  running out of  the  woods.   Something was seriously  wrong  and  she  knew  she had to invesitgate.
     She  shape  changed  into a  falcon  and    took  to the  sky.    Up ahead she saw  an enormous     flock of hawks  in the  sky.   What were they doing in this  neck of  the  woods  and  why were there  so many of  them.   She  flew  closer  to get  a better look, but not  close  enough  to get detected.   She could make out the markings on the hawks. these were no ordinary hawks.   They were  monkey hawks.   A whole army of  monkey hawks  and  they looked like  they were on the  war path.  This  was  not  good.   No one  who came  within their  sight  would  stand  a  chance  of  survival.  She  knew  that the  town of Ravensfort    was not  far  from here.    The poor villagers  would   not stand  a chance  against  the monkey  hawks.     She had  to warn them, but how.   Who  would belive   her . The villagers  all knew her  as the poor ,  shy, silly, orphan girl who  was  sent  to live  with her   aunt.     
     she knew she had to try though. she   headed towards  the direction of    Ravensfort.
She flew as fast as her wings  could  take her.   This is  no good  she   sighed, and  decided  to  shape change into the fastest land  animal she  knew of.     Her body changed into the  form of  a cheetah, and  she took off thru the woods.   She came  to the  main  dirt road  and  decided to follow  it. 
       Upahead she see  she sess what appears  to be  the ruins  of a fine  coach.  Is  she  too late ?  Have  the monkey   hawks  ben here already ?
Then she  spots  a    Halfling  walk around  the  coach  cursing  to himself.     She transforms  into  her human form  and   slowly  but cautiously  goes  to approach the  halfling.
        "  Looks like  you  misfortune  has befallen  on you good  sir ," she  says  to the halfling," Would you be  the  driver  or owner  of  this  fine  coach ?  Did  someone rob you   good sir ?    Have  you been harmed ?   Were there others  with you ?"
         "  Why  do you ask  so many  questions ?"  snaps  the  Halfling  at her.
      "   why you don't have  to be  so rude,"  Jade  remarks  back," I was only  trying  to help ."
        " Humph, more likely you were  trying to rob  me ," remarks  the  Halfling.
       " And why would i rob  a  coach that has  been already robbed?" I say  with a laugh," No, as i said  i was just trying to help.  I live in this neck of the  wodds, and  was out gathering  berries  when i saw your overturn carriage . I mean you no harm, my name is Jade."
  Jade offers her hand  out as a sign of friendship, but the halfling  turns  his back on her.  She  sighs and  thinks  to herself," why am i wasting time  with this creature.  I have  to warn  the villagers.  "
   She turns  to walk away  and then look at  the halfling  and  says  to him,"    You are a stubborn creature  are you  not Shamrall ?  Your name is  Shamrall  ?"
   " How  do you know  my name ?"  demands   Shamrall.
  " Oh i have  ways  you have never heard of   dear friend,"  and  she  turns  and starts to walk off ahead.

Martin Montgomery

Shamrall stares at the young woman,Jade? He thought that was her name. She stood there as if she came upon expensive coaches torn asunder daily,and she seemed to give off a strange ......."Magic!!" He blurted out before he could stop himself "You can do Magic!! "Jade" are you one of  the King-Regent's pets!?!? Were you here to help control this pair of trained Mawks?" The little Halfling's eyes searched the sky but all signs of the Male Mawk that had flown off promising to return with ...."The Guards!!" His eyes snapped back to the unassuming woman and concentrated,his training had been spotty but even as a child his abilities could perceive a magic users Aura it told him what kind of magic the other was using most. Black Magic - black Aura,White Magic - white Aura,and so on. His second sight focused and Jade's Aura fairly leaped forth!!  "Why is your Aura GREEN!?!?" He stuttered "That would make you very,VERY powerful in Nature Magic!! But you are Human!! Nature Magic is only strong in Elves,Fae.......and The Gods!!!" The halfling's left hand made a sign meant to ward evil away and he sketched a quick bow,much to Jade's delight. "No, Shamrall the Small" she giggled as she stepped forward,knelt and checked his injuries. I am just a simple magic user,not a Goddess,but my story must wait, not five miles from this place I have seen a flight of wild Mawks. Dangerous and extremly expensive to create,the animals had the intelect and strength of the ape and the hunting skills of the best trained Falcons. Used mostly as messengers and scouts, they must have escaped from the King-Regent's breeding pens over the years and they obviously have bred true! They were being led towards here by one of their kind wearing a harness and collar,and he seemed to radiate a strong sense of grief!!" The comely woman finished her brisk examination,finding him dirty but unharmed,"I could sense the powerful emotions coming from him and they have struck a chord in the other Mawks,Protect the Young and the Injured, They are coming to bury the Female in yonder wreck" She nodded to the destroyed coach "And to make the ones responsible for her death,very sorry!!" Shamrall placed his head in his hands and wept, the death of the innocent female Mawk had bothered him greatly,but now with a flight of wild Mawks headed this way........" Jade!!" He cried "There is a village nearby! The Mawks will tear the villagers apart!!" Taking a deep breath and standing as tall as nature allowed,he spoke,voice trembling in barely controlled fear " I need to lead them away from Ravensfort!!!" Stepping to the center of the road Shamrall's eyes focused his second sight upon his right forearm,on the ornate leather bracer that held a stylized silver wolves head. In a low voice that seemed to emanate from everywhere ,and yet nowhere spoke these words "Shayde, Come Forth!" this was followed by his normal voice whispering "I really need you this time! Get out here,NOW!!!!" Jade barely believed her eyes! The power of that simple spelled charm had brought forth,in a soundless flash of light, a fully grown,three hundred pound wolf,wearing a leather saddle and boiled leather armour!! "Thank the Gods that worked!" The little halfling jogged forward and stuck a furred foot into the saddles stirrup,swinging up onto the powerful canines back,which seemed to not notice the extra weight. Donning an iron helm that had hung from the saddle horn,he turned to Jade, "My Lady, run to the Village and warn them of the danger! I will try to lead them away, but ......I have my doubts. Now GO!!!" With that he flicked the reins and Shayde tore off in the direction of the Grief-Mad Mawks.

Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

SarviaRose

Eirwen watched at the group of guarded passed her hiding spot she spit as the passed her, she knew most of them and found they caused more problems than they fixed. She decided she couldn't use the road that day and continued heading on her way but through the woods. There was a noise that startled her as horse ran past her with parts of wagon behind them. Carefully she ran to them and stopped them, she might be a hunter and tracker but that didn't mean she liked seeing animals scared and in pain. She said calming words to them and freed them of the remains of the wagon. "Go back to where you belong." The horses stared at her before running off again saying thanks in there own way. Eirwen watched as they headed back in the direction of a village not far from here.
Continuing on her way she felt something wrong coming in the direction the horse had coming, Eirwen debated checking it out when she felt the energy of two Mawks. She could since one energy fading and slowly disappear the other one filled with rage. There was more energy but she could not quite place. Eirwen passed trying to decide what to do when she felt another energy join this one was familiar a half elf. She passed not sure about the unknown energy it felt odd that she couldn't place the energy it felt like it on the verge knowing.
Eirwen decided to go check out what was causing the ruckus in the forest. She stated to follow the horses trail back to the road. Eirwen came to a stop when she heard someone yell "Get out of here NOW" she knew no one could see her and only very few would be able to feel her energy she was more determined to see what was going on. Through the tree she could see the half elf run towards the village and than she saw the Half-Halfling. That was the energy she couldn't place. She started to run after the half elf to see what was going on but saw the Mawk coming after the half-halfling. Eirwen ran after him and the Mawk hoping she could find out what had happened here.
Morale Ofc of the Bayou Scoundrel, ETTE, IFRP

Alphonse

Riding in a beat up grey cart pulled by a grey mare headed east down a bumpy dirt road cut through the forest,the old wizard mumbled an unheard spell and snapped his fingers over his battered churchwarden pipe. A flame lept up in the bowl as he puffed away on it.He had been out of pipe weed for some time before heading down into Raven'sfort for supplies.He sold potions,herbs and scrolls for the things that he needed and often more times then not had enough gold left over to buy a few books to add to his library.Glancing up to the sky to see if it was going to snow,sleet or rain any time soon he suddenly became alert as the pipe dropped from his mouth and into his lap."Damnation!" he said to no one in particular, while reining in the horse to a stop.

He quickly reached over and took up his staff with one hand and pointed it skyward. A good two dozen mawks circled high up and to the east. He muttered a spell that few could follow were anyone present and the mawks burst into flame and fell from the sky. It had been a long time since he had seen such a discusting display of perverted magic.Mawks were a creation of magic of a very low order and an abomination to the senses of anyone who had ever gazed upon something as noble as a dragon or unicorn.The king's wizling lackeys had been up to their old tricks again and Alphonse took a deep satisfaction in the knowledge that he had undone a very large part of their work.They were idiots and twisted magic in a fashion that it was not meant to be employed.Such a display as he had seen here of it, would have likely moved some of the elves he knew to move against the king's men in such a manner that nothing like it would happen again for a few generations at least.

Feeling something warm against his leg, the wizard looked down and only then realized that he had dropped his pipe. He picked it up and puffed it back to life, thinking about how easily a bunch of fools could ruin such a simple pleasure. He started the horse back up and resumed his travel, "the quicker I am off the road and away from the land of men and their petty schemes the better" he told the horse who paid him little mind as she pulled the cart along.Scarecly had he taken a puff or two, when ahead of him in the road came two Percheron's barreling straight for him."WHOA" yelled Alphonse as he made a gesture of command which stopped all the horses, his included. He swung down from the cart and approached the nearest of two horses in proper fashion and made the appropriate signs of respects before questioning him. The horse appeared to nuzzle the ear of the old wizard as he spoke,"he did what?"and then a chuckle rolled from his lips."I would surely have loved to seen the captain's face" he answered.Taking his leave he headed back to his cart and said a spell over it before pulling himself back up on to it."A mischievous halfling thief waits ahead for us, it pays to be a bit cautious", he said with a smile.Perhaps this trip will prove entertaining in spite of the distasteful business with the mawks he thought to himself as he turned back to his pipe and began again his journey along the rough forest road.

Lady Amy of York

I transformed  myself  back into a cheetah  and  ran as  fast as  the  wind  could  carry  me   to the village.    I  transform myself  back into  my human form  and   run into the tavern,  which was  crowded  with villagers  having an afternoon  meal  and  drink.
  " Good people,"  I say  to them,"  You are all in  great danger. An army of  Mawks  marches  this  way. I have  sen  them with  my own eyes."
  "  Mawks," said  the taven owner," why would  they be  this  far  from their homeland? "
   "  The  woman talks  nonsense  ,"  shouted another man.
    " Aye,"  said  a peasant woman,"  Ain't she    the silly  orphan  girl  from  the  woods ."
   " Please  you must believe me," I plead,"  You must leave  here. you are all in great danger ."
       " Why  so  we can leave  our homes,"   shouts  another man,"  and  have  them  robbed why we are gone. Perhaps  that is  your  plan.  You want  to rob  our homes   while  we   are away."
    " No !" I exclaim," i would  never   think of  doing  such  a thing."   
< This is not working, i say  to  myself, i  must  do something  to save  them.>
     I  leave  the tavern and  go back  outside.     <  What if Shamrall does not stop  the Mawks?  I  need   to  think of  something  to  stop  them from reaching the village.>
     I summon  up a hurricane  force  wind, followed  by  a blinding hail storm.
   < This  should  slow  them  down    >

Martin Montgomery

"Faster,Shade!" Shamrall yelled as he leaned low over the powerful War Wolf's form. "See if you can loose them in the trees!!" The wolves's mouth widened with a grin that spoke volumes,he was running,joyously free of the confines of his magical home! Shamrall was gladdened also,each time that he was able to call forth his lupine mount it convinced him that his mentors had both been wrong about the strength of his abilities. He had been taken in and raised by a White Mage and a Black Witch,the victims of a botched burglary attempt. Both of the Magical Masters had given up on his training after years of training,both agreed that he would never Master their respective magical arts. He had practiced his calling abilities in secret and by using a bit of each Form,had created the bracer that housed the amulet where Shayde resided when not called forth. Screeches of dismay could be heard behind him as the pair made it into the safety of the thick woods. "Fly after him!!" The male M'awk that had escaped the wrecked coach called to his Wild Brethren. "He Killed My Mate!!! RIP Him To Shreds!!" The strident call seemed to spur the pursuing M'awks and Shamrall turned to see seven or eight young males swoop under the low cover,the riotous colors of their plumage clashing against the green leaves. They flew strongly,darting over,under or around the heavy forest branches and tree trunks. "Watch it!" the startled Halfling yelped as his steed turned sharply,avoiding a thick stand of Razor Thorns the maneuver almost unseating Shamrall! His cried again as a bright red mass arrowed past his head,landing among the Razor Thorns! The red Mawk's screeches turned to horror as it realized it's fatal mistake,and it died,cut to ribbons by the thorns sharp points. Shayde's pads touched the leaf mold and changed direction again. His rider's mind,magically connected to his, agreed that heading towards Ravenfort to assist in it's defense would be the best,as soon as they lost the rest of their pursuers or they gave up! 
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

Martin Montgomery

Shamrall's heart tried to exit his throat as Shayde bounded across an overgrown gully,then his stomach wanted to join it when the War Wolf doubled back on himself diving into the heavy brush. Rider and mount both tried to control their breathing as the remaining three M'awks burst from the treeline and quickly overflew the pair in the gully. The screaming trio disappeared into the trees and quiet returned to the forest. Small birds flitted overhead and a pair of squirrels bickered over a large hazelnut. After ten minutes the two left the concealing cover and dashed towards Ravenfort! Leaving the thick forest for the open roadway was a chance that Shamrall felt he had to make. The road was faster traveling and he knew that the enraged M'awks would wreak havoc upon the human populace there! As the road swept beneath his paws Shayde sensed a powerful aura ahead,between them and Ravenfort. Linking his mind with Shamrall's he informed the halfling just before they caught up with a battered grey cart,pulled by a grey mare that was somewhere between two and twenty years. The robed figure driving the cart calmly raised his right hand to wave in a friendly manner. "Hold!! Friend Halfling!! Twenty or more of the Wizling's Perversions have perished by arcane spells guided by my hand and my mind! You need not fear me as I know you are,deep in your heart,a valiant warrior of good even as your Magical Aura says you practice the Grey Arts!"
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

Lady Amy of York

The storm I conjured up  has slowed down the M'awks  for now. Where is Shamrall? There is no signs of him. " Just like a man, to keep a woman waiting ," I say with a laugh, and  decide that I best go look for him, incase the M'awks  are roasting him for dinner. I make myself invisible, so I will not be detected by any M'awk scouts  and I head off to find  Shamrall.
  A few miles down the road I spot Shamrall, talkingto a rob figure riding on a cart.
" Trying to rob another cart are we Shamrall ?" I think to myself.  Time to have a little fun, and teach a certain theif a lesson.  I conjure up a little spell and  suddenly  Shamrall  finds himself  being lifted in the  air  and  tossed into  a freshly made pile of horse manure.
" Now to rinse off," i say to myself  with a giggle.  I send Shamrall flying into the  creek  that runs along one  side of  the  road. That should teach the  theif  a lesson.

Alphonse

The old wizard had some experience with halflings, enough to know that this one was no doubt unique even among his own kind. Even still though, he was surprised at the level of magic surrounding the young thief, when he began to levitate with scarcely saying a hello, Alphonse's surprise grew.Barely clearing the ground the young thief was flung violently into a pile of fresh horse droppings in the road and then into the ditch beside the road,hardly the sight one would expect when first greeting anyone along a road,definitely not the sort of gesture to inspire awe or fear. Quickly deducing the likelyhood that there was yet more to all this then met the eye, the wizard raised a small seeing stone to his eye and looked around. There was an aura of magic from yet a third source nearby."Friend or foe?",asked the wizard of the halfling,while taking up his staff. "I am not exactly sure", came a weak reply from the ditch where the thief sat,"it's been a long and complicated day"."Indeed, I am sure there is little that your involved in that is not worthy of a tale,best told around an alehouse hearth" said the wizard with a chuckle.

Lady Amy of York

I  make  myself  visible among the  others.   "
     Nasty  winds  we been  having  around  here lately,  they  will  pick  up just  about  anything,"  I say.   Then i turn  to the  wizard  and  say,"  I  be  careful  around  this  halfling sir,  for he is  quite  the  thief,but nothing a quick  reprimand  in  some  horse   droppings    can't  fix."    I start  to giggle.
" You two know  each  other ?"  the  wizard  asks Shamrall.
  "  We  are  friends,"  replies  Shamrall.
"  I hate  to meet  your  enemies  then,"  laughs  the  wizard.
"  Don't worry  sir,"  i say  to the  wizard,"  I mean him  no harm. just teaching  him a  lesson  in manners.   As   for  you sir, I sense      an aura  of magic  around  you.   You are a wizard  are  you  not ,  so  thus  one  could  ask you  the  same  question  that was  asked  of  me.   Are you  friend  or  foe  sir    ?"
  "   That all depends ,"  says  the  wise old  wizard," Wheter  you  be  friend  or  foe    mi  lady  ."
    I smile  at him and  say  "  You are truely a  wise  wizard  sir.   My magic  maybe  very  powerful, but  i only use  it  for  good.  I  am not one  who has crossed  to the  dark side, like  so  many  others  with  my powers.  I will bring you no harm sir.   I am  known as  Lady Jade, you can call me  Jade  for  short."
     I  go and  sit  down on the  grass.   
  "  She  is  quite  the  looker,"  says  the  old  wizard  to Shamrall,"    Just how  well do you know   this  woman ?"
     "  I  have  very keen  hearing  gentlemen,"  i call out,"  And  if  you  are      both  done  trying  to figure  out how  you can  score  with  me, I  would  suggest    we get moving.  Or have  you  forgotten  that  there is  a  M'awk  army     approaching  the  village  ahead  ?"

Alphonse

That your hearing is quite excellent is a fact I will note, as you will learn with time, mine is actually quite poor. I am in fact deaf on my left side,said the old wizard. I have learned to assume that everyone hears better than do I and don't generally speak anything that I do not wish to be heard because of that fact.

While we are becoming acquainted, young lady, I would like to also point out the fact that I am an old man, old enough in fact that I can remember back on a time when many a grandmother today, yet played with their dolls. Having said that, you can rest assured that I do not see figures or scores as a young man does, my appreciation is likely more conjectural then you assumed it to be.Enjoy the beauty of your youth while you still can, for it is said that time is a fire, in which we all burn.

You are right though, in the fact that if there is indeed a mawk army approaching a village, that should take precedence over this exchange. This is the first news that I have had of that, where lies this village and how big is this mawk army?I encountered a good two score along the road that will no longer threaten anyone, are there more? I have rarely encountered such numbers of them at any given time, that there are more, is a feat I would have scarcely given the king's wizling lackeys credit for.

Lady Amy of York

" Ah, my dear old wizard friend, you are not so old  that  you can not  catch  the  eye of  a young lass,"  I  say  to him,"  And  as for  why  there are  so many   M'awks  around, perhaps   our friend  Shamrall   could  fill you  in on that.  It seems  he   did  something, that made  them quite angry,  and  now they are  out  for  revenge  at any  cost.  I managed   to  conjure up a   small storm  that  slowed   them  down  a bit  , but i fear as  we  stand  here  now, that  they maybe  getting ahead  of us  and  approaching  the village.  We have  no  time  to  waste. 
          I  will go ahead, and  try  to hold  them off, but you best hurry along ."
I transform  into  a hawk  and   fly  off.

Martin Montgomery

"She does that sometimes,Sir,and it's really annoying!" Shamrall stood up in the shallow creek and turned to his lupine mount. "A fine lot of good it was having you out "Protector" my foot!!" Striding to the creeks edge the small man extended his right forearm and focused his second-sight. "Shayde,return from whence you came!" With a hurt look in his eyes the War Wolf leaped toward his friend! Several feet from completion,his solid form turned to ethereal smoke and dissipated into the magically worked bracer. "Nicely Done,little fellow!" The aged Wizard's brow creased as he sensed both White and Black Majiks but used in such levels that they nearly cancelled each's aura. "If you could handle females as well as you controlled the magikal forces,you wouldn't end up in these situations." With a casual wave of his gnarled hand the surprised Halfling felt an unseen wave of heat that dried his garments and hair! Looking up at the robed man with astonishment,Shamrall vaulted to the high seat of the sturdy old cart. Landing lightly he sat and pointed down the lane towards Ravenfort "If you would be so kind,Good Sir? I will be very pleased to tell you everything I know. On the way!" Blinking once,the grey robed Wizard nodded and flicked the reins,the cart started forward smoothly and quickly,making the thief look with fresh eyes at the Old Grey Mare. "My name is Shamrall,that was Jade,she and I have known one another off and on for several months and this is NOT the first time I have been her bad side! I think that she is a very powerful Nature majik user but today is the first time I have actually "seen" her do any majik! She is quite handsome,though,for a Human!" He turned away from the gently smiling Wizard and coughed. "Can't we go any faster?" Visibly starting,as he caught sight of a vibrantly colored cloud,M'awks,winging quickly towards the distant towers of Ravenfort. "Why can't I live a peaceful life,of leisure?" He sighed and removed his broke-down bow from beside his quiver,fit the two halves together with an audible 'click' then proceeded to string it with a waxed linen string.   
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

Lady Amy of York

I see   a  large  M'awk army approaching the village.  Two  small children are playing in the street.    Their  mother   stands  near by holding a young infant.  The M'awks  spot the children and head towards  them. 
  I change into my human form, and  runs  towards   the  children  picking them both up in my arms  and  running towards  their mother.
" Run," I shout to her,"  Run, and  don't   look  back ."
  "  What are  they ?' cries  the  woman in fear.
  "  M' awks ," i say to   her," and  they will destroy anything in their  way.  "
  We run as  fast as we can,  the  children  crying and  screaming.  We pass other viilagers in the  street  and i shout to them,"    Now  do  you belive  me.  Run, run as  fast  as  you can."
     I run   with the children.  I can hear destruction  behind  me, and   people  screaming.  I keep  running, not wanting the  children to witness   anything.   I  spot  two  more children out playing  and   call  for  them  to  run  with  me.   We head thru the  village  square  and  into the  woods.
          I   instruct  the  young mother and  the  few villagers  that followed behind  me  to lay low  in the bushes  and  keep  the  children quiet.    I was  going  back  to see if  there was  anyone   left  to save.
                 I head back to the village.  Houses  are on  fire.  Bodies lay  scattered in the  streets. Some  M'awks,  a  few   human. Over all the  death tool, was  not as bad as  i  had feared but still this  should  not have  had  to happen.
  " No !"  i shout  in anger.
   I see   the  remaining  M'awks  approaching.
  "  You will pay  for  what you did  here,"  I shout at  them.    I conjure up a huge  wind of fire,  and  it engulfs  them.
    I kneel  down and  weep for  those  who lost  their  lives  here.    Then i hear cries  and  shouts.  They are coming  from the  church.  I run  towards  the  church . Inside  i find  a  group of  villagers   who had taken shelter in  the  church. 

Alphonse

Riding up to the village the wizard and thief arrived in time to see a swirling mass of cawing mawks circling over head.Both of them looked up just in time to watch the mawk army incinerated.The heat from the swirling fire ball was strong enough to be felt where they sat." I am not much for such large displays of fire", said the mage.

"Can you think of any better reason to use a fireball?",asked the the thief.

"No, mind you, I am not being critical, just stating my preference, I had a bad experience once performing a similar feat myself", replied the old wizard."No matter, though there is plenty of work yet to be done here", he replied as he pointed his staff at a burning house nearby.A torrant of water fell out of the sky,extinguishing the flames. Quickly the two climbed down off the cart and began working their way through the village giving what aid that they could, as they went.Before long they had worked there way to the church where they joined Jade and the rest of the survivors.

"Well things where not as bad as they might have been, but still there where four that we found that were beyond any help we could offer," spoke Alphonse to the group. "Why?" asked a young lady holding two scared children,close to her."Yes why,why did this happen to us?' went up the question asked by a chorus of voices with in the crowd.

"Indeed", said the wizard, "a good question, not easily answered." "I suppose there could be more then one answer to your questions, but suffice it to say that the ultimate responsibility lies with those who create such abominable creatures." "To learn the answer to that, one would have to ask the King's lackeys" replied the wizard. "For it is by their hands that these creature came into being."

Lady Amy of York

I leave  Shamrall  and  the old  wizard  with  the  villagers  that  are in the  church    and  go off  to gather   the  children  and  elder viilagers  who  I left  hiding  in  the  woods.  I lead  them back  into the  village  and  to the  church  to  join the  others.
The viilagers  continue  to talk  about  the  creatures that  atacked them  and  the  King's
lackeys.   As  i listen  I  find    some of  the  conversation quite  disturbing.
  "  I  need  to leave  for  awhile ,"  I  tell Shamrall,"  Watch over  the  villagers  and  try  to stay  out  of  trouble."
  "  Where are  you  running off  to ?"  asks  Shamrall.
   "  I  need  to  talk  to  someone,"  I  replie.   I  hurry  off.
    "  Where is  she  running  off  to?"  says  the  old  wizard   walking up  to Shamrall.
       "  She  did  not  say,"  answers  Shamrall."  Just muttered something  about having  to talk  to  someone."
   " Hmmm,"  ponders  the old Wizard   rubbing his  beard,"  How  well  do you know  Jade ?  Can  she  be  trusted  ?"
       "  Other  then the  incident of  throwing me in the   water,  I  have   found  no reason, not  to trust  her,"  answers  Shamrall.
      "  Just  seems  funny  that she  ran  off  so  fast,"  replies   the old  wizard.

I  reached  the  castle  where I  lived  and  hurried up  the  steps  to  find   Sarah.
   "  There  you are  child,"  said  the  old  woman,"   Where have  you been? I have  been  worried  about  you ."
    "  Sarah,"  I  say  to her,"  tell me  about  my  father. I  know   he  was  a great  king. What else  can  you tell me  about him ."
     "  Why  do  you ask  child ?'  questions  Sarah.
     "  Because a  army  of M'awks  attacked  a village  today  and  the  people  say  that  the  King's  lackey's  were  behind  it ."
      "  That  does  not  sound  like  your  father,"  replies Sarah,"  He  was  a good kind  man. It  pained  him to send  you  away  when he  did, but he did  it  to  protect  you,  for  many  feared  your   magic   and  wanted  you  put  to  death.  No  this  does  not  sound  like  your  father at  all.  he  would  never  turn  evil,  atleast  not  the  man  I  knew."
         "    When  did  you  last  see   my  father  ?"  I asked  her.
    "  Why  i  have  not seen your  father  since      he  sent  me  here  with you  as  an infant.  But  i  have   received  letters  from him  over  the  years  inquiring  about  you, although  i  have  not  received  any  letters    in  a few  months."
   Sarah walks over to a  desk  and  open a  drawer  and  hands me  a letter.
  "  This  is  the  last letter  I  got  from  your  father,"  she  tells  me.
    I hold  the letter in  my hands.   A vision  appears  before  my  eyes.  I  can't  make  it out clearly,  but  I  can sense  my  father is  or  was  in  some  kind  of  trouble.

Martin Montgomery

Shamrall leaped down from the high seat of Alphonse's cart to lightly land beside Jade as he broke down his unused bow and returned it to it's place,she suggested to the halfling that the wounded needed care and the rest of the frightend villagers needed to be organized. After pointing out the Mayor of Ravenfort she turned and went off into the forest searching for any stragglers there might be. Pushing through the gathered villagers was difficult for the small man,as they were all huddled into small groups asking each other "Why had the beasts attacked ? Did your family come through the attack unharmed?" and "Did you know anyone that was killed?" Shamrall approached the tall village elder noticing that his right arm dangling uselessly by his side. "Sir? Your arm seems to be dislocated,may I be of assistance?"  Sitting on a bench the Elder wordlessly gave a nod of assent and searched the faces of his people,muttering to himself that he couldn't have stopped the "Filthy Beasts" even if he hadn't been in the rear of his shop when the attack began. The halfling gently probbed the man's shoulder and arm nodding as he found that it was dislocated,not broken. "Sir,I must re set your arm....It will hurt!"  The man turned to face Shamrall and the small man could see the pain of failure in the man's eyes. "Good Halfling,I have just watched as a mass of winged beasts,who none thought as particularly harmful,appeared from nowhere in unheard of numbers,ravaged my town and killed many good people! Do you REALLY think that you could hurt me worse?!?" Silently shaking his head no, Shamrall looked into the man's eyes and received a nod,then with a skillful *Snap* reset the shoulder and gently placed it upon his patients chest. A small grunt of pain escaped his tightly pressed lips and a fine sheen of sweat covered his forehead,but the steady voice he used when he said "Thank you,young Sir!" told the small man that the man was in much less pain. Taking the man's own cummerbund and fashioning it into a sling,Shamrall listened to the Elder softly speak "Damn the "King Regent'"  and his Wizlings! The M'awks just attacked,without provocation!" A pained look crossed the man's eyes as he slammed his uninjured hand onto his knee. "Sir?" Shamrall looked around at the villagers that surrounded them,many of the hurt were being attended to by others. Ones that had sought refuge behind the solid stone walls of the village's church. "The wild M'awks were driven into this attack by a new type of their kind. During a robbery of what I believed to be the King Regent's Tax Wagons, I ......was responsible for the death of it's mate and somehow,through the Wizling's continued majikal meddling,it has gained the ability to project it's feelings,to influence the minds of it's own kind. It's grief,from the loss of it's mate,drove them all into a killing frenzy and this....... is what happend! I am so sorry Sir! I have done many....questionable things in the long years of my life,but..... Never,have I caused so much pain and suffering with such a careless action!! I will find a way to make it up to you and your village. If you can find it in your hearts to let me try!" Unshed tears wet the small man's eyes as the Village Elder lay his good hand on Shamrall's shoulder and gave a small shake. "Stop blaming yourself for the actions of others and do what you can to set things right! You and I will keep this between ourselves and shall speak of it to no one else! You and your friends are welcome here and any support that we can offer will be given! Our thanks for your help is freely given and it would be disrespectfull for you to refuse it!" Alphonse walked near and Shamrall could see that the old,robed Wizard had been very busy attending the many other wounded. Excusing himself to the Mayor,Shamrall turned to another villager, a comely young woman with long slashing cuts along her back. Obviously the raking claw marks received as she protected the now sleeping child in her arms. Moving to her he asked if she would allow him to help her,she smiled and nodded. His heart in his throat,Shamrall gently began to clean the painful but thankfully shallow cuts that crossed her back. Someone handed him a bowl of green ointment and he carefully covered the injuries with the strong smelling goo. He then tried to re-tie her torn blouse,finally giving up and removing his own vest to drape over her back. "Thank you kind Sir." she spoke with a lilting voice that did not sound the same as the other villagers "I shall return your raiment as soon as I can get home to put Matilda down for a nap. My auntie will watch her and I will return to assist you and your friends with the other injured." She walked away and the small man's eyes followed his vest,and her red hair,until she turned beyond the church's wall. Alphonse called to him and his mind returned to the task at hand. For the moment.     
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

Alphonse

After a time of helping the worst of the injured, Alphonse told Shamrall he thought it time to take a break."Come with me", said the wizard as he headed outside to the old grey wagon.The two left and approached the wagon as the wizard unfastened the latches and let down the hinged gate at the back of the wagon."Allow me to lend a hand",said the old man as reached down and helped the halfling hop up on to the back deck, where the two took a seat. The wizard reached into the items stowed there and produced a bottled of meade and two cups."It's meade, and not a bad batch either, I make it myself", said Alphonse.

As he poured them each a cup, he continued,"as a healer you likely well know about the idea that it is not uncommon for those that you care for, to feel a bond or indebtedness to you when you give them aid. It can even manifest itself in the form of romantic intent, but you may not realize that on occasion the inverse can occur as well. Handing the young thief a full cup, the wizard went on,not that I imagine that your one to seek advice in moral matters from someone that you have just met but I would say that there are practical concerns besides the morality of taking advantage of that sort of vulnerability, that speak against such relationships."

"I never... began the halfling, when he was abruptly cut off by the wizards responce.

"I never said you had considered such a thing nor that you ever would,said Alphonse. I am speaking strictly hypothetically. I am making no judgement but am simply offering advice", said the old man.

"Hypothetically speaking, you must admit she is quite a good looking lass", said Shamrall with an impish grin as he began taking a deep drink from his mug.

"Indeed" answered the old wizard with a grin of his own.

"You know, before today, I never realized that I was fluent in hypothetical, strict or or otherwise", said Shamrall as the two of them broke into laughter.

"You know when one faces such a grim task as was set before us today, one must either laugh or cry in order to cope with it, said Alphonse. Like you, I prefer to laugh whenever possible."

Lady Amy of York

I nedd to   find  out what  may  have  happen  to  my father,  but first  i  need  to   check  on  the  villagers  who  got attacked  and   my  friends. I head back to find  Shamrall and  Alphonse.I spot them sitting, on the  wagon drinking and  laughing. I  approach  then and say,"   You  two  make  a lovely  couple.   I  leave  you  two  in  charge, and here you  are  both  getting drunk . Find pair  you  two  make  ."

Shamrall starts  to say something but I interrupt  and  say,"  But after  what we  went thru today, I would  say we all deserve  a  good  drink. "   I  grab a mug and  pour  myself  some  mead.

" Easy there lass," says the old  wizard,"  It be  strong stuff ."

i take  the mug  and  drink it all down. The  men just look at me  in surprise.
" What!," I say  to  them," Have you not ever seen a woman  drink  mead before. ? You wouldn't have  any chewing tobbaco  on you, would  you ?"
   The  other  two  just look at  me, and  I  start  laughing .
"I'm joking ,"  I  say  to  them,"  We  should  finish  up. I  would  not be  surprised  if  the  M'awks  tried  to come  back here .  My castle is not far  from here, we  shall  take  the villagers  there.  "

We put the injured in  the  wagon, and  the  rest of  the villagers follow behind.  A  couple of   the  young  unmarried  men  are  chosen  to stay  behind    to gaurd  the  village   from theives.

We arrive  at my castle.  The  villagers  stare  at it  in awe.  It is  like  a fairy tale  castle  with  a  small lake , gardens, and  deer  and other forest creatures  grazing  around  it.

" Nice place,"  smiles Shamrall  and  says  to  Alphonse," Remind  me  to start  being  nicer  to Jade."

Once  everyone has  settled in I hurry upstairs  to freshen  up. I have  never had  guests  before, and  the sudden exctement of  that fact  makes  be  forget about  my father  for  the  time  being.  I  quickly bathe and  then  put on a deep greensilk gown  that highlights  my red hair  and  fair  skin,  and  emphasizes  my  best features.

I  then head back downstairs  and  into  the  dining hall.   With  a bit of magic  i  conjure  up  a  fine  feast and  drinks.   I then  call for  everyone   to  join  me.  Shamrall and  Alphonse look up from where they were siting talking  with  some of  the village  men.

"Wow,"  says one of  the village  men looking  at  me  in awe .

" She  cleans  up nicely,"  says  Alphonse.

" Indeed  she  does,"  says Shamrall with a grin staring  at  me ," Indeed  she  does."