News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A Piratical Pajama Christmas

Started by silverstah, December 25, 2008, 12:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverstah

I've been so busy with Christmas sewing that I haven't been able to do much faire/SCA sewing!  This is my husband's present this year - a old fashioned nightshirt made out of a piratical checkerboard pattern.  :)

Pattern Used:
McCall's 6642 - Unisex Sleepwear (Out of Print)

Pattern Description:
Wonderfully simple sleepwear pattern - great for beginners, or to use up all that flannel you buy on sale! :)

Pattern Sizing:
Since it's sleepwear, it's meant to be loose and comfortable.  I cut out size L for my husband, who has a 43" chest and a little bit of a belly.  It fits him beautifully and comfortably.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yep!  I did two of these - one with the pocket, one without. 

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very easy to follow.  Everything was clear and concise.

What did you particularly like  or dislike about the pattern?
I can't think of anything that I disliked, honestly.  I really enjoyed working with this pattern - it went together beautifully, all the pieces matched up nicely, sizing seems accurate, and it turns out a nice, solid garment. 

Fabric Used:
100% cotton flannel in a pirate pattern. :)

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
None, other than omitting the optional chest pocket.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Absolutely.  I plan on making myself one, and probably another one for my husband.  He really loves it - and it's a great way to use up all that cheap flannel I keep buying and have no specific use for. ;)

Conclusion:
Wonderful, easy pattern - great for beginners, and great way to bulk up your sleepwear collection.  Highly recommended!
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Cool PJ's!!! Pirate fabric makes great gift ideas be they Pj's, shirts, bandanas, etc.

I have the same pattern that I made pajamas for my daughter, but the shorter top and did buttonholes in the front for a drawstring tie rather than  elastic for the pants.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

gem

That's fabulous!  Do you have a closeup shot of the fabric?  What are you going to make yours from?

I made Milord a pair of lounge pants last Christmas (my first pants ever!).  He's a musician (brass), and I found this zany quilting print of all the brass instruments.  He actually wears them, which makes me crazy proud. :D

(Can I ask a brief question about the format for your review?  It looks very official; are you cross-posting it somewhere like Patternreview.com or the Bay Area Costumers' Guild site?)

silverstah

Aw, thank you!

No closeup of the fabric - I didn't think that far ahead. ;)  The black squares have little skulls, and the red squares have little crossed bones.  Very cute. :)  I haven't decided what mine will be made of - I have flannel with big happy ladybugs, and I also have flannel with fluffy sheep.  I'm leaning towards the sheep. :)

The format is from patternreview.com - I review all commercial patterns I use on there, and it was easy just to cut and paste. :)

HEE!  I'm sure your husband LOVES his lounge pants.  For some reason I always end up making Himself PJ's for Christmas - probably because they're easy and fun! :)
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

gem

Taffy Saltwater

*doing best Napoleon Dynamite* - luckeee!  Nice nightshirt - I'm sure His Nibs will be nice & toasty.
Sveethot!

Kate XXXXXX