News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A Tour of the Grounds

Started by rengypsy, December 28, 2008, 06:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autouloucous

This will be a beautiful communion--- We can't wait to see you there. To anyone on the fence, we are avoiding the burn ban with an nice enclosed outdoor fireplace, so the primordial muse will be present (though not the bon-fire we envisioned, a little company should in get cold).  The earth is sandy there, so setting up tents is a cinch-- digging a small hole in the ground is easy too.  The current entrance to the grounds is right on the main hwy between Austin and Houston, so it is very easy to find.  Thick and sparse forestry awaits you there of every different species known to central Texas. The heartbeat of Sherwood Forest Faire is growing louder----- come and add your own pulse to it!

We will meet by 3pm on Saturday
January 24th.  We will walk the grounds, sharing ideas and dreams. We hope you can stay
at least a couple of hours. Musical instruments are certainly in order. 

From Houston-- Take 290W till you are getting close to Austin.  5-10 minutes after a town called Giddings, pass hwy 21, and you're almost there. We will be on the right. There will be a driveway with a 4x8 sign by the gate. We will hang a butterfly kite on it to guide your way. If you see Old Potato Rd. you've gone just a bit too far.  Turn around , and take the 2nd driveway on your left.

From austin-- Go East on hwy 290 past Elgin.  You will pass a road called Old Potato Rd,
and the Land will be the second driveway on the left after that (and more visible than
the first).  There is a 4x8 sign by the gate. We will hang a butterfly kite to mark the spot.

Take care! It is a very fast-moving part of the hwy. 

Come help us bless the Land, see the forest, and sing a song or two of good fortune. Please let
us know if you will be making it out. We hope to see you there. 

dbaldock

Quote from: Autouloucous on January 09, 2009, 10:46:04 AM

From Houston-- Take 290W till you are getting close to Austin.  5-10 minutes after a town called Giddings, pass hwy 21, and you're almost there. We will be on the right. There will be a driveway with a 4x8 sign by the gate. We will hang a butterfly kite on it to guide your way. If you see Old Potato Rd. you've gone just a bit too far.  Turn around , and take the 2nd driveway on your left.

Driving West through Giddings on Hwy 290, the last traffic light is at Hwy 77.  From there, it's ~13 miles to the Hwy 21 overpass.  From the Hwy 21 overpass, the Sherwood Forest Faire site is on the RIGHT (North side of Hwy 290) 1-3/4 miles further West.

Quote from: Autouloucous on January 09, 2009, 10:46:04 AM
From Austin-- Go East on hwy 290 past Elgin.  You will pass a road called Old Potato Rd,
and the Land will be the second driveway on the left after that (and more visible than
the first).  There is a 4x8 sign by the gate. We will hang a butterfly kite to mark the spot.

Driving East from Austin on Hwy 290, you'll pass through Manor, Elgin, and McDade.  From the Flashing Yellow Lights at the edge of McDade, the Sherwood Forest Faire site is on the LEFT (North side of Hwy 290) 6 miles further East.

I believe the driveway is at these coordinates:  30°13'28.30"N, 97°10'10.10"W  (Enter them on the search line of Google Maps, and you can see the Street View photo that was taken of the Property For Sale sign.)

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Lady Rosaline

I hope a late arrival will be OK. I am planning on making it out. But it is a 4+ hour drive for me and i don't get off work until 12 noon on that day. If that's all good I'll be there.
I'm the reason the rum is gone! (Unless Teach is near by!)

rengypsy

late is fine.
thanks for your support.
rengypsy
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

rengypsy

would sure like to hear from more of you that you have plans to attend a gathering on january 24th.

need to make sure we have enough ale to go around.

lets hear from you!!!

sounds as if 30-50 will be attending. would like to have more, more, more........
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

Queen Bonnie

I plan to be there! I think Moon Dawg/ Bear plans to come also.
I can't stay- I don't drive after dark but live close by! Can't wait to see the land! I will sing a song or two to help with the merriment!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Trillium

That is a beautiful area!  And Giddings has a Walmart, good news for campers!  Also, Giddings is used to people in strange clothes invading every few months.  Amtgard host events at the park there on a fairly regular basis.
Got faerie dust?

Bonny Pearl

Talked with the hubby last night about this event and it looks like we just might make it out there with little Capn' NoBeard in tow.  Can't wait to see the grounds, it sounds very pleasant.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

MacLaren

Did I just read something about a drunken pirate? How about a Scot pirate?

Will see you all there. I really want to tour the grounds and hopefully stake a potential claim for the Bamboo Scotsman. I'll be there with kilt on!
Dan
Clan McLotofus
Captain, HMS Landshark
ROoL #78, guppy
FOKTOP

fireworks guy

I will be there. I'll be riding up with PyroMaster.
Love and Artillery,
Alan
"Whining is just anger forced through a small hole."

*Teach*

Quote from: fireworks guy on January 21, 2009, 12:48:02 PM
I will be there. I'll be riding up with PyroMaster.
Love and Artillery,
Alan
Why does that sound scary?

*I am so hiding my rum from you too...*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Molden

It's looking like I'll be out there as well on Saturday afternoon, then swinging by the AARG event at the Dog & Duck that evening.
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Moon Dawg

Helll if everyone can get orgasmized we can do it at Sherwood but so far I have had a bunch say they couldn't make it to the Faire grounds due to work so they would be at the D&D.
Moon)Dawg
Moon)Dawg
Mage of the Majick Box
Keeper of the Pygmypony
Wizard to the Kingdom of Onondaga

MacLaren

Is there any chance I could bring my 30' land ship and hook it up somewhere and stay Saturday night? I'd love to have a place to crash after ale, music, company and such. It'll even accommodate extra bodies if they need a place to crash. All I know is that I'd like to pull it to the site and stay over night, rather than drive home tired as, well, you know.
Dan
Clan McLotofus
Captain, HMS Landshark
ROoL #78, guppy
FOKTOP

Tanyor

I will be there with a buddy.  :o