News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Finished Projects

Started by jcbanner, May 07, 2008, 06:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Becky10

Rogue Hidesmith  you are my hero right now! I LOVE that mask!  :o
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Keno

I wish I could do that..
This years travels 2013

Performing
Travelers Cross Faire in Strang, Oklahoma

Vending
Iowa Renaissance Festival in Amana Colonies, Iowa
Iowa-Minnesota Pirate Festival in Clear Lake, Iowa
Des Moines Renaissance Faire in Des Moines, iowa

Nighthawk

My new flask!

I don't like the waxing job, though, so I think I'll redo that before I go to the Colorado Ren Fest next weekend.

Rogue Hidesmith

Nighthawk, it looks like the wax didn't cool evenly. Did you use parafin or beeswax?
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Rogue Hidesmith

Quote from: Becky10 on June 12, 2011, 12:43:51 PM
Rogue Hidesmith  you are my hero right now! I LOVE that mask!  :o

Thanks :) I'm working on a few more masks that will be used for a local theatre's summer Shakespeare series, so i'll post those once they're done, too :)
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Nighthawk

Quote from: Rogue Hidesmith on June 14, 2011, 05:23:44 PM
Nighthawk, it looks like the wax didn't cool evenly. Did you use parafin or beeswax?

Well, given that this was my first attempt at a water bottle, I went on the cheap and used parafin. I'm going to pop this sucker in the oven, melt the wax off and try again. I know I can do better...

Rogue Hidesmith

I've made a few of these, so my advice to you is to get a funnel and ladle the wax into the bottle. fill it maybe a third of the way full, "cork" it and swish it around for a minute or two. Slowly pour it out while turning the bottle to get a nice even coverage on the opening.

Hope that helps :)
IBRSC #1603

Nighthawk

Quote from: Rogue Hidesmith on June 15, 2011, 05:47:31 AM
I've made a few of these, so my advice to you is to get a funnel and ladle the wax into the bottle. fill it maybe a third of the way full, "cork" it and swish it around for a minute or two. Slowly pour it out while turning the bottle to get a nice even coverage on the opening.

Hope that helps :)

I had a good friend who taught me leathercraft. He used to dip the entire bottle into the wax, let it fill, use a paper towel to wipe and buff the outside, and then he would empty the inside, which is what I tried, and why there's so much wax on the outside. I didn't clean the outside nearly as well as he used to!

His came out looking like this...

Thanks for your advice. I do appreciate it.

Rogue Hidesmith

Those are quite nice. Your friend is talented :)
IBRSC #1603

Nighthawk

Quote from: Rogue Hidesmith on June 15, 2011, 01:21:34 PM
Those are quite nice. Your friend is talented :)

Yes, they are lovely. He did a lot of work with the Vikings Vinland. You should have seen the shield he made! He made his own planks with a hatched, made the glue to hold them together, painted it with milk paint, all that! The glue he used for his leather goods was all glue that he made himself. He went all out for authenticity.

So- back on topic! I melted the wax off in the oven and rewaxed the thing. It looks a lot better now! I'll take and post pictures sometime this afternoon.

Here it is!!

Much better now...

amy

Very nice leatherwork from everyone here, but I must ask about this particular piece?  Is it over a plastic bladder with a lid, or is it wax lined and you have some kind of stopper?  I can't tell.
Thank you

Nighthawk

Quote from: amy on June 16, 2011, 02:22:38 PM
Very nice leatherwork from everyone here, but I must ask about this particular piece?  Is it over a plastic bladder with a lid, or is it wax lined and you have some kind of stopper?  I can't tell.
Thank you

It's wax lined. I currently am using a stopper from a whiskey bottle- the cork variety with a plastic head on top. I'll be replacing that eventually, as soon  I figure out what I want to replace it with!

amy

lovely!  I really like the tooling

Nighthawk

Quote from: amy on June 16, 2011, 08:39:47 PM
lovely!  I really like the tooling

Thank you! You know, it's funny- that's the part that gets the most compliments, and the part that I personally like the least!! I thought it came out terribly! Maybe I really am my own worst critic... ;D

DonaCatalina

OOOH - the water bottle looks fabulous. Rediong the wax made a big difference.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess