News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Finished Projects

Started by jcbanner, May 07, 2008, 06:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwen aka Punstergal

This is my most recently finished craft project. It took approx 21 feet of rope (one solid piece). I made it for a Celtic cross contest. It is the first Celtic cross that I've attempted with nylon rope. http://knottynymph.deviantart.com/art/Celtic-Cross-in-Rope-88871813

Grr.. I can't make the picture show although I swear I've done it a zillion times before- I guess you'll have to click the link :(

[Moderators Note: Added Image for User :)]
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

Thistle

Wow!

Punstergal - pretty! I'd have not thought of actually, you know, making knotwork out of real knots. That's right clever.

Chris - that's amazing! So you did all the metalwork and castings as well? Have you ever thought about making custom leatherstamps? *hint hint*

groomporter - beautiful artwork! So are all the gameboards over on historicgames.com yours? The "Four Seasons" theme on the "master pieces" page is just incredible...

Here's one of my latest things. More fantasy than historical, but  a tooled leather pouch. Seemed kinda appropriate for being surrounded by the Chugach Mountains up in Anchorage:

I made it so I could just cut off the front flap and replace it if I ever wanted to change the design. There's also a little brass ring on each side, so I can attach a strap and use it as a small purse in the mundane world.

Edit - and here it is as as mundane purse:

groomporter

Quote from: Thistle on June 18, 2008, 06:10:39 PM
groomporter - beautiful artwork! So are all the gameboards over on historicgames.com yours? The "Four Seasons" theme on the "master pieces" page is just incredible...

Yup those are mine. Thanks!
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Gwen aka Punstergal

Thank you much for fixing my image, whomever.. my brain was just not working enough to get it right. I guess maybe I've been playing with the ropes too long and the simple stuff is what's confusing now, hehe.

Now that I've figured out a way to tie at least one model of Celtic cross, I may start making some smaller scale ones to use as garb ornamentation. I love being able to tie two of my loves together (no pun intended).

mieljolie

Wow!  There are some great projects in here!  My family and I are real newbies to ren faires and posting at this site for sure.  This is only my second post.  I'd been lurking on and off for a few months before the big loss.  Still not entirely sure what happened to the old site. 

Anyway, I just wanted to share a few of our weird creations that are not, in anyway, historical.  But, they are lots of fun!  Since we have little money to spare for costumes for faire, I've been playing around with soda/beer can tabs and bottle caps for awhile now trying to come up with something somewhat passible for the look at least.  Hey, they are cheap and easily aquired.  Any suggestions/ideas/opinions would be great.

This is my mom and me in our can tab corset/bodices at Scarby 2008:

And my daughter in her "warrior princess" costume:

The whip is made from green poly rope, a pencil, and duct tape.  We were actually able to get it to crack!

Here is a crown made with the addition of fruit and soup can tabs:

It is flexible and can double as a neckace.  I call it a "crownlace".

The latest project is this cavalier-style pirate hat made with skull shoelaces:

In the process of making a matching corset.

I love making crafts out of just about anything. I wish I had access to the knowledge and tools to create more authentically historical items like what is on here.  Please, forgive me for adding my attempts at "garb" here.  Can't wait to see more projects from others!
Royal Order of Landsharks - Guppy No. 85

Magister

newbiehere:

Welcome to the board!  Those projects are great!  There is no need to apologize.  They show some real creativity.  I see you already found the other thread over in garbing discussing can tab projects too.  I do look forward to seeing pictures of your next projects!

Gwen:

That was me with the picture ;)  For some reason I had to drill down a bit to find the actual image link and not the photo site reference.  No worries... just let me know if you have any further problems.
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

mieljolie

Thank you, Magister. 

Yes, I did find the other post.  Nice to know I'm not the only one these days playing around with the tabs.  I had to apologize because I know that can tabs used in a ren outfit has to be frowned upon by many.  :(  I just love working with them.  Love the way they look, too.

I'm going to start on a more Victorian-style black corset for my sister, next.  More curves, yeah!  It is supposed to be piratey looking.  She wants something like Anna Valerious (Kate Beckinsale) wore in Van Helsing.  Then, when the stocks are replenished, I'm going to attempt the jacket.

Chris B

The tabs are very creative.  You have a lot of creativity and they look great.

Here is a 2 1/2 week project I just finished today.  It is a 5th century Athenian Aspis made entirely by me.  I'll eventually work my way back into the renaissance, but this year is Ancient Greece.  Now I can't decide which Greek shield to carry at Texas Ren Fair's All Hallow's Eve (this or the pegasus shown on page 2 of this thread).

mieljolie

Thanks Chris B.  I definitely think you should go with this one.  Very beautiful!  We are thinking of going All Hallow's weekend again, too.  Maybe we'll see you there.

Thistle

First - Chris, I have to admit, I like the drama of the pegasus on your other shield. But they're both beautiful. And come back carrying it, not on it, eh?  ;)

Second - newbiehere - wow! Talk about trash into treasure! That's amazing... and your little one looks like she's having so much fun! :)

Anyhow -- ooh! ooh! Got some more done!

First, a little pouch to go with my firesteel and suchlike. It's basically a tiny little sporran, just big enough for a tin of charcloth and a chunk of flint:

Secondly, well... here's the story. A couple years ago while wandering the Gig Harbor faire in Washington State, I ran across a gentleman selling all manner of nifty leathergoods. My hands were already full of a couple CDs and some printed fabric I'd bought, so I went ahead and bought a small duffle from him to carry it all in. It was just so plain though.. so I added some grommets for the drawstring up top, then added a flap edged in deerskin and all a-covered with ribbons and trinkets - including my R/F pin!

(The arms and Scots badge are tooled and painted leather, the Gypsy Wheel is twisted wire, and the claddagh and harp are purchased fancies)

Finally and most especially, hanging on that bag is a tooled case for my flute, with the same tooled dancing bird on it, along with some familiar looking "two trees." ;)

Being up in Alaska, I couldn't help but add the Sickle of the Val.. I mean, the Big Dipp.. I mean, "The Plough" in the sky at the top. I think one day I might stick some little crystals in there for fun.

Erynn

Finally finished these for my jester costume. The stockings have been a long time going (I started them over a year ago) so I'm happy to finally have them done. My first socks! The garters are tablet woven and my first actual project with that. The shoes (which I love) were made by Lady Oren.

All the pictures are clickable to see the big version.

Gwen aka Punstergal

Erynn,

Those socks are awesome!! And a great accessory- I could see them fitting in with all kinds of interesting costumes!

Chris B

Newbie - If you do go, stop us and say hello.  I am sure I will probably stick out in a Greek Panalopy.  It is the only weekend that it would fit though.

Thistle - Yeah, I kind of like the Pegasus too.  We shall see.  I am working on a scaled Linothorax at the moment so I will also have to decide between that and the muscled cuirass when the time comes.  Thanks for the comments.

Erynn - Those are very nice.  I like the detail in the design.

Erynn

Thanks Gwen ad Chris. Now I just need to get the motivation to finish the rest of the costume...

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

Erynn , your bottom half of your outfit is AWSOME, I love those socks. Keep us posted. ;)
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples