News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

To Treb or Not to Treb

Started by Woodland Artisan, May 14, 2008, 02:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodland Artisan

I'm doing my last minute packing of the truck and have a little space left over ...  debating about whether to see if I can fit the trebuchet in there this evening to take up to the faire in Wentzville, MO.  I haven't had a chance, due to working and weather, to play work with it for a few months.  It'd strictly be an after-hours, off-the-record playtime as I know that my business insurance wouldn't cover that activity at the booth.  But, still, it can sit out front of the booth and attract a little attention during the day while giving something for us to play with after hours (maybe up at the joust field?)

What does everyone think?  Treb or Not to Treb?

Ottheinrich

If you have the room why not? It would be fun to play work with. ;D

Malcolm

You might have to have it "peace tied" during Faire hours, but I'd say you need to
Bring the Trebuchet!!!
YOS,
Malcolm Abernethy
Knight Commander, Order of the Blue Ribbon
IBRSC #1272
1608 Society
"Be the best you can be... considering."

Nitestar

I wanna watch you peace tie it!!  And if it is peace tied...  do you have to put it on a belt? ;)

Lord Nitestar
Lord and Lady Nitestar

jcbanner

are you talking about that smaller one you made a few months back?   Bring it!

do you think it can be rigged up to throw waterballons?

(but of course, I never said anything about bringing it  ;) )

Once Debauched

Well dang, my post was lost somewhere...  I said...

I wanna see 'em zip tie that!
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

beeboy

Ottheinrich

Did you take the Treb or not? and if you did where are the pictures? :P

Woodland Artisan

I did take it and had a little time on Friday night to take it up to the joust field and launch a few tennis balls.  Before the wind picked up (and started throwing curve balls into the bleachers because of it), it was getting 73 feet.  A little hand-assist to the 50 lbs in the bucket gave over 100 feet.

Didn't take any pictures but I'll see if anybody can next weekend.  Probably try to launch some more on Saturday after-hours.

Water balloons?  Hmmm, that should work.  I'm also thinking some fruit and veggies too.  Unfortunately, the flaming balls-o-death are out.

jcbanner

sorry I didn't get the chance to head back to the field to watch you fire it, but by that time, I was already an hour late in leaving.

Malcolm

For those who like pictures, ;D
YOS,
Malcolm Abernethy
Knight Commander, Order of the Blue Ribbon
IBRSC #1272
1608 Society
"Be the best you can be... considering."

Woodland Artisan

Great meeting you, Malcolm!

That little treb has certainly drawn a lot of interest over these past 2 weekends.  Not that that wasn't the intention. :D    I've had several serious offers to buy it but just can't do that.  Many teachers (student day!) and engineers have stopped and talked about it with me and we've even discussed maybe doing some sort student Treb competition for next years' student day at the faire.  Not too sure who, in the faire management, to bring that up with, though.

My wife, who runs the booth while I make furniture and demonstrate in the area next to it, says that she can read many peoples' minds as they walk up to it ...  For the men: "Hey!  I can make that" ... and mentally take notes on how it is constructed.  For the kids:  "Hey!  If I put that rock over there in it, who can I hit".   And for the women:   "Hey!   What idiot brought that thing ... you could knock someones' eye out with it."  and  "Oh, I hope my husband / kids don't see that thing.  The cat will never be the same."     HA!

If the weather will ever cooperate, I'll have it back up to the joust field (or therabouts) for some castle (albeit a wee-castle) crushing.

Ratcatcher

Dinna forget, lad, that there be plenny o' pooh up in tha pettin' zoo tae be flung...

Woodland Artisan

MMmmmmm poooooohhhhhh.    Mike the Donkey (anybody know its real name?  That's just what we've been calling him/her   ..... he won't tell us what his name is .... such an weed puller  ;)  )

Yes, indeed, dear Ratcatcher.  Lots o' pooh in the general area to be flung.  Thankfully, that hasn't occurred to the wee ones as far as I know.   In fact, I was thinking of trying to aquire modest amounts of tomatoes to fling for this coming weekend.  If the weather allows and I can be up there in time, I'm going to be doing some treb firings friday and saturday nights around 7:30 pm up at the joust area ... possibly in the parking lot.

jcbanner

Just started my own treb, no promises on how well it will work, but I'll try and have it done and bring it to site with me. 
and it your looking for tomatos, you should talk to the people at the tomato throwing booth, they might have a few they could spare.