News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Briget Bardot and Georgie Girl.... our herd of Cattle!!!

Started by C Dragonworks, January 06, 2009, 05:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C Dragonworks

indigocenter

OK  I have to ask....are the girls pets or are they on the planning board for dinner and leather sources???
Lady Roselynn of McDade, Purveyor of Potions

C Dragonworks

No these are our future breeding stock and pets.... If we planned other for them they would have names like Sparerib or Sirlion... we learned that long ago!!!!! We plan to raise eating cattle from them in the future! Cat

LadyShadow

May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Queen Bonnie

They are beautiful! glad they will be pets!  Not knowing much about cattle- are they a special variety?
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

indigocenter

Don't forget basic biology though Cat, Georgie and Bridget will need a Cary Grant or Tom Hanks of the species in order to start building a herd!     ;D

C Dragonworks

Well we had Maurice Chevalier years ago... He was a Charolais.  We have not decided what we want bullwise yet.
The girls are out of Holstein cows and Georgie is a Longhorn cross and we think Briget is a Charolais cross. Even our vet thinks so!

We are going to the auction this Sat to look for sheep... we want to raise our own lamb!YUM! We are looking for a couple of ewes and a ram! We plan to put up Scotsman proof hotwire<G>! Cat

Queen Bonnie

Huzzah for raising lamb!  ShishKebab by next TRF?  My favorite!
Wingardium Leviosa!

Anna Iram

A Ram. Cool!  :)

I was facinated by the herd of longhorn I  came across on my first trip to Houston. We don't have that breed down here in Florida. Wonder why.

I grew up on a farm with a couple of cattle. We had one taged as 86. He was a great excape artist and yes eventually ended up on the dinner table. >sob<

May I suggest one of your "dinner guests" be named Barbie-Q?  ;D

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: C Dragonworks on January 07, 2009, 08:05:52 PM
Well we had Maurice Chevalier years ago... He was a Charolais.  We have not decided what we want bullwise yet.
The girls are out of Holstein cows and Georgie is a Longhorn cross and we think Briget is a Charolais cross. Even our vet thinks so!

We are going to the auction this Sat to look for sheep... we want to raise our own lamb!YUM! We are looking for a couple of ewes and a ram! We plan to put up Scotsman proof hotwire<G>! Cat

Beware the Scots, they are forever Dancing with Sheep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Lady Nicolette

One of my favorite stories about my great aunt and uncle.  In the 1950's, they bought a magnificent piece of property on the Mendocino coast, 100 acres of virgin redwoods and beautiful fields marching up to the edge of the forest.  I had the good fortune of spending every summer there, growing up.

My uncle was from England and had grown up on a working farm.  They bought a herd of 20 cattle to graze on the land, with the idea that they would take them to slaughter.  My aunt, animal lover that she was, ended up naming all of the cattle and enjoyed walking in the fields with them.  My uncle was adamant that they should be brought to slaughter, as they'd planned however.  They got the cattle loaded into cattle trucks and drove to the local slaughterhouse.

Before they got to unloading the cattle, my great aunt finally persuaded my uncle not to sell the cattle.  They left with one more new family member as well, an ancient sway-backed chestnut gelding, that my aunt named Charley Horse.  The cattle and horse ended up living out the rest of their lives on the ranch, Charley lived to the grand age of 35.  They never got any more livestock.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

RenRobin

Oh Cat they are beautiful and yes she looks to have Charolais in her.  I grew up on a farm and we had a Jersey milk cow named Baby.  My dad would go to auction and find a sickly looking calf that had been rejected by it's mom and force it on Baby, and she eventually accepted it as her own.  We called the pasture the orphanage as we raised so many orphaned calves up on her. We had Herfords and Angus but never a Charolais...they are so beautiful.  Also liked the look of the Limosine, black and so very long bodied...appropriately named. 

Every time we go to Houston we pass a pasture that has Oreo cows...back on both end with a band of white round the middle...beautiful.

I miss being around the animals, but not the work.
Loki-terr (in training)

C Dragonworks

Well so far no Sheep... Saw some sickly looking calves go for large sums(85-135).... We were quite lucky to get the girls for 20 a head! So we did not buy anymore calves. But we found 2 more auctions that are different days so we are going to go check them out...Yes Bonnie...With luck Sheep K Bobs by TRF!  I do so love Greek cooking! Cat

Queen Bonnie

Greek cooking is one of my all time favorites!  Lamb and rice stuffed grapeleaves! Yummy!
   HUGS to you, Cat! I miss you!
Wingardium Leviosa!

indigocenter

Paul and I are middle eastern food junkies...let us know if you do something...he is a great cook.

Queen Bonnie

I know Paul is a good cook! we should do a Greek food fest!  Lets get together soon Lynn! Are you going to the thing at Sherwood Forrest on the 24th? I will try to go.
Wingardium Leviosa!

indigocenter

Opah!!!    Sounds like a plan in the works.   I have not heard about the Sherwood Forest thing.  Alas I will be in Houston that weekend and Paul in Dallas.  What is next?

Queen Bonnie

I will get in touch if anything else comes up.  Nothing much else going on- that I know!
Lets plan a Greek Dinner sometime when you are free?
Wingardium Leviosa!

indigocenter

Bonny Pearl

mmmm Greek food!  Reminds me of the days when my friends mom and dad would come to town from 'the old country' and her mom would do nothing but cook and feed everyone that walked through the door.  That was some scrumdillyumpscious food!
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

indigocenter

Let us know when they are coming again Cat...!   lol

C Dragonworks

Well we added THREE girl sheepers.... Their names are Lilybeth, Funky and Zorrelda  Looks like 2 may be bred already! So MMMM Lamb if we are lucky! The girls have made it to safe place. As we told them you earned nonedible names.... So now we wait! Cat

Queen Bonnie

Huzzah to sheep! I always thought a good name for a lady sheep would be Ewenice! LOL!
Or Baa Baa Ann.
Wingardium Leviosa!