News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Duchess

Started by LadyShadow, January 08, 2009, 07:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyShadow

So I bought and watched The Dutchess last night.  I must say that I enjoyed the movie.

Just curious on if others have seen the movie and what they thought.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Toki and I both really enjoyed the movie. I had wanted to see it at the theater, but Toki being a guy didn't want to. So once on DVD I reserved it from Netflix.

I thought the acting was pretty good and the dresses to die for.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

LadyShadow

I have to admit while watching the move I kept wondering if I could make which ever dress and then wondering where I could wear it.

I agree with the theater thing.  I wanted to see it there, but it was my fault.  I didnt remember when it got released and then next thing I know it was on DVD.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I bought 'The Duchess' two weeks ago and have seen it at least 4 times. LOVE IT!!!  Terrific film and nominated for several Oscars including COSTUME DESIGN!!!

The gowns are to die for!  The Georgian period if the 18th Century is my second favorite era for doing period clothing. The hats are also fabulous!!!!

There are at least 2 ensembles I want to make. The FOX ensemble(by this October) and the gown that Georgiana wears at the end of the film. I  also want to get my hands on at least 2 of those wigs from a source that do not look overly costumey.

I read the biography on Lady Georgiana Spencer(an ancestor of the late Diana Spencer, Princess of Wales) who had married the 5th Duke of Devonshire. a very good read.

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

This is the patern I have that will work perfectly for the FOX ensemble from the film..http://www.patternsoftime.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MF15

Plus this hat pattern... with a wider brim.

LadyShadow

That would look marvelous.  i would love to see a finished project.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Just watched 'The Duchess' yet again today. I was drooling over each and every sumptious gown. This movie is fab!!!

Definitely a Costumer's Day Dream!!! :)

LadyShadow

I say I must agree.  I have some other ren sewing projects that I need to get out of the way first before I can start one inspired from the movie.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The gown pattern I ordered from www.rockinghorsefarm.com

I have some very funky fabrics that I am going to use for my 18th Century Vampire attending the Venice Carnivale for the Social Night at Costume Con 27 in Baltimore in May!!!

LadyShadow

Wow cant wait to see it.

Tammy

I finally got to see it! The clothes are to die for!!
Her life was so sad. I can't wait to read the book!
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

CapnFayeCutler

You ladies have inspired me, for I am off to watch "The Duchess" yet again! I *love* this movie!
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Athena

I enjoyed the film, and the costumes are scrumptious! It won the Oscar for costume design!

For those who want to know more about the Georgiana, read her biography by Amanda Foreman.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I read the book as well. A very good read about a very corageous woman for her time..

No wonder, Lady Diana Spencer, later the Princess of Wales, was so miserable in her marriage. Must have been something in the Althorp water.

Nailin

I loved the costumes hated the story so he gets a mistress to flaunt in her face while after she gives him a son and raises his other daughter she can't have a lover or keep her lover's baby??? so wrong on so many levels still a great story and wow she gave her blessings to bess to succeed her that's amazing
Chieftess Nailin'
Irish Penny Brigade
Daddy's Princess
IWG # 3894

Scarlett

I loved this movie.  But then, I love Keira Knightly in anything, as well as costume dramas.  ANd it DID WIN an Oscar last night for Costume Design!  Yay!   How the thin, willowy Keira wore those wigs is still a mystery to me.
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Leyla

Quote from: Scarlett on February 23, 2009, 07:48:12 AM
I loved this movie.  But then, I love Keira Knightly in anything, as well as costume dramas.  ANd it DID WIN an Oscar last night for Costume Design!  Yay!   How the thin, willowy Keira wore those wigs is still a mystery to me.

I heard her in an interview talking about the wigs.  Apparently one was so heavy they had someone standing behind her with a pole propping the thing up while she spoke.
The costumes were gorgeous, but I didn't like the movie.  Ralph Fiennes is a slimeball.  I know we aren't supposed to like him anyways, but he grosses me out.  And the supposed love interest...could they have found anyone more bug-eyed.  At least they could have made the love interest appealing for the brief time they were allowed together.  I can handle a sad ending here and there, but this was just down-right depressing.  The beautiful costumes just didn't make the overall movie worth it for me. 

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Actually in the extra's on the DVD they talk about some of the wigs. Some where so big and heavy she had to wear a brace on her neck that also supported the wig. Mainly it was the one that catches fire in the movie from my understanding, but there may have been others.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

The Lady Mercedes

As I said in the other post, good book, good movie. I also liked Marie Antoinette-I'm reading the book too. Besides the renaissance, I love the 18th & 19th centuries for clothing. Wish cothiers paid such attention to details & fabrics today...
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Because of the very busy I have had, I did not get my 18th Century gown made. Perhaps over the winter, I will.

I do have several Regency clothing ensembles to make for myself and my husband for a trip to upstate New York in July for his town's 200th Anniversary. We are going to look as though we stepped out of a Jane Austen novel. Really!!!