News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A Coloradoan in Florida...or something...

Started by pktaxwench, January 10, 2009, 08:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pktaxwench

So, I thought I'd share my geeky Faire related news here....

Since I had to come FL to spend a few months cleaning out my mother's house (she passed away just over a year ago and I've avoided doing this long enough) I scheduled my time in FL to coincide with the local Renaissance Faire, the Bay Area Renaissance Festival in Tampa, FL. 

I've been cast on both the Queen's Court (they've two seperate Courts, I've been told that Henry and Catherine aren't the happy couple our Henry and Anne are) and in the human chessmatch.  The latter has me bouncing with glee, as stage combat was the whole reason I got involved with faires and it's been too long since I swung a sword.  I've made no secret of how I think it's lame that the only combat in Colorado is the Jousters - and it's sloppy stage combat too.

Never fought in a hoopskirt and corset before, but today was our first fight rehearsal and it's a lot of fun so far here.  Except for the relearning how to breathe in 90% humidity when it's 80 degrees in January.... I've become weak, living in Colorado.  Plus, it's been over five years since I wielded a weapon other than a flintlock or a funnoodle.  My shoulders are killing me, and it feels great. :)

So, anyway, that's my happy news.  I should be in Colorado again by the end of April.  Dunno yet if I'm performing or not at CRF... I don't know if I could handle 14 weekends of Faire in a 52 week period.  I'll see how I'm doing come April.  Stage combat right now wins in my book over just being a character at CRF, but who knows, I may just need more of this insnaity.  :) 

I'm so happy!  *bounce* *bounce* *bounce*

PS. Either way, I'm retiring my peasant character from performance for a few years, so you all should audition for it. :)

Anna Iram

How exciting! My homefaire is BARF so let me be the first to say Welcome.  :)

Yes we have an awesome combat chess troupe. Can't wait to see your bit in it and to meet you. You'll love our little faire.

Moldy Forest

I was born in Florida so I can understandthe heat issue, but wearing garb in Florida heat I gotta give you kudos. Whenever I go back to visit I always melt. Have fun at BARF- "BARF" haha thats awesome.
Chik-fil-a is the best restaurant ever. The End.

blondekarma

That sounds awesome!  Congrats Lady! :)

And BARF...  *giggle*
I do not fear death- I fear a life unlived.

Be Cause.  See Effect.

If anything matters, then everything matters.

Anna Iram

pktaxwench

yeah, yeah... every joke about "BARF" has been made, people.  But it's easier to say than CRF. :)

Zoë

That's why I always call it "CORF"...I tend to get it confused with CRF otherwise, which is Carolina...I think?  Haha.  But CORF is easier to actually say.  ;)
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Technically Colorado is SRF as it has been around a LOT longer than Carolinas. Besides if we have to be CoRF they should be NCRF or SCRF

But like Zoe I call it CRF as to many of those back east get confused.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Bryan Beard

"I've made no secret of how I think it's lame that the only combat in Colorado is the Jousters - and it's sloppy stage combat too." ...wow, thanks, we will certainly try and clean it up, hate being refered to as  Sloppy
Bryan Beard
Noble Cause Productions
Sir William, Lord of Whitehall

pktaxwench

Quote from: Bryan Beard on January 12, 2009, 06:31:53 PM
"I've made no secret of how I think it's lame that the only combat in Colorado is the Jousters - and it's sloppy stage combat too." ...wow, thanks, we will certainly try and clean it up, hate being refered to as  Sloppy

Sorry Bryan, but while I thought it was just me for a long time being snobbish, many of my friends and coworkers who have come to the shows have commented to me about it too.  I know people are tired and all, but these are people going as patrons who notice it too.  This year I heard it more than normal.

Bryan Beard

Well, though we try to, you can't please all the people all the time. I, and the rest of my team, as profesional performers can't just listen to the compliments we recieve for our stage combat, we must also listen to any criticism. So, I will take your open and very broadcasted opinion and end this conversation by wishing you luck in your new endeavor.
Bryan Beard
Noble Cause Productions
Sir William, Lord of Whitehall

Capt Spleen

I have always enjoyed the jousting of Noble Cause Productions.

.....The performance/s, and especially when the royal court is involved (king onfield threatening the bad guys with sword in hand - when the princess is threatened w/a bad guy back hand - etc, and different weapons are used ie. a crossbow bolt shot from across the jousting field, then turned against the agressor.

Bryan, You always have a fan in CaptDungeonSpleen aka royal gardens gatekeeper very near the jousting arena.

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: pktaxwench on January 10, 2009, 08:52:07 PM
I think it's lame that the only combat in Colorado is the Jousters -

AHEM.... wasn't always that way........

I've been a festival patron and preformer for 25+ years.  I've seen other Joust companies.  IMHO, the Nobel Cause guys have the best show I've seen..... and it has the most variety of themes, premeses, weapons used, etc.

so, opinions vary.....
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Demetrius

Quote from: Hey- Arent You? on January 13, 2009, 10:15:31 AM
Quote from: pktaxwench on January 10, 2009, 08:52:07 PM
I think it's lame that the only combat in Colorado is the Jousters -

AHEM.... wasn't always that way........

I've been a festival patron and preformer for 25+ years.  I've seen other Joust companies.  IMHO, the Nobel Cause guys have the best show I've seen..... and it has the most variety ot themes, premeses, weapons used, etc.

so, opinions vary.....

I've heard a few co-workers complain about the Jousters. I've also noticed these same people tend to complain about everything, except, of course, their own hamster.

I too have been attending for 25+ years and, personally, our Jousters are awesome! Well said, Hey-Aren'tYou? and Capt Spleen- the crowds do enjoy seeing the Royalty interact with the jousters.

I talk to patrons who come to my booth all the time about the shows and the response to the Jousting is always complimentary. Okay, there was this one guy who complained, but he couldn't find the arena and he claimed to have been run over by someone riding in a "large ball." 
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: Demetrius on January 13, 2009, 10:48:38 AM
Okay, there was this one guy who complained, but he couldn't find the arena and he claimed to have been run over by someone riding in a "large ball."  [/color]

what if we put the hamster on the OUTSIDE of the ball.........?????
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke