News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

what should a new patron know??

Started by Auryn, January 12, 2009, 01:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

Hello all,
Well
this will finally be the year that I attend Mosi for the first time.
I live in south east florida- about 4 hours away.

My boyfriend and I are hoping to attend opening weekend for the highland games.
We will most likely be staying in Orlando for the night, he has friends there. Due to financial constraints we will probably only be visiting on one weekend.

As new patrons of this location, what should we know??
Any favorite vendors/ acts??
Is mead available at Mosi??
oh yes we will be in garb, not HA though.

I would love to know any insider tips you have.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

iain robb

DO (most definitely) connect and meet up with the folks on the board here. There are a great number of friendly people who will be glad to see you and spend time with you and show you around, ranging from the perhaps a bit shy and reserved (like me) to the perhaps a bit too friendly (you know who you are).

Escarlata

*chuckling* Iain, quit talking about me like that.

Auryn, we look forward to seeing you for opening weekend. Iain is correct, there will be a good number of us there. Keep a watch out for Leinad and I in the Will Call line on opening morning, that's where they tell us the Season's Passes will be ready for pickup. When you see the tall man in grey with the flattop smoking a pipe and the petite redhead wandering about giving what appear to be enthusiastic hugs *grinning* you've found us.

As far as what to know ... make sure you have sunscreen, the Queen's Tea is a hoot, mead is available as well as a coffee bar (sometimes it's cold that first weekend). The faire can be quite dusty if there's not been any rain. I've not seen the entertainment list yet, so can't recommend specific performers but I'll keep an eye out and update that later. Not HA is not a problem, there's a good mix of both.

Several members of the Court are either members of R/F or well aware of the forums. Make yourself known as you come through the welcoming line and you'll be greeted warmly.

We'll see you at Faire!
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

Auryn

ohh
you guys are making me so excited.
Ive been to faire before (Florida Renaissance Festival- its only about 30 min from me) but my boyfriend is a faire virgin.
I will post pictures of both of us so if you see us, feel free to come up, neither of us is very shy.

I have him very excited to be going. We have been talking about it for over a year now- he was deployed in Dubai for a year- just came home in August (he is finally home for good).

Escarlata, is the Queen's Tea something we should think of doing on our first visit?? I can't find any information about it on their website.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Escarlata

Auryn, I'd recommend the Queen's Tea if you are willing to spend $15 per person (last year's price) and about an hour. You sit down in a shady tent, are served finger foods and tea, and are entertained by a sampling of some of the lesser known performers. Good Queen Katherine Parr, our own Madge Estes here on R/F, presides and she is a delight. I try to go at least one day each weekend we're there. If we have a big enough R/F crowd, we try to coordinate the day and then the fun really begins.
Esc be no lady!

Princess Christine 2.0

Ahh, but just remember what happens at queens tea... stays at queens tea *wink wink*
Im not bad im just drawn that way!

Auryn

hehehe

We are big tea drinkers so I think we could make time for that hehehe
where would I purchase tickets for the Queen's Tea??
I've been trying to get my tickets in advance to take advantage of the discount- but no luck yet.

Escarlata

They've not posted advance single ticket options yet, I'll post when I see it.

Queen's Tea tickets can be purchased at a table inside the gates, between the main gate and the Maypole.
Esc be no lady!

Princess Christine 2.0

you can buy them when you first walk in the gate at faire if i remember correctly.
there will be wenches pushing the tea!

It is a real hoot! always a great time!

Anna Iram

Yes tea with the Queen and her court is a great way to take a break and enjoy some really good entertainment. If you are lycky the Mummers will be there to act out one of their fairytales. Seriously about fell out of my chair laughing.

We have (or had in the past few years) a smoker as well. About the same price as the tea, with beer and cigars offered along with a comedy show. About the same price. Fun!

I'm sorry, I have no idea who out entertainment is this year, but Manolette is a good show and Christophe the Insulter (rated R) is a riot! There was also a great Pirate group that sang bawdy songs. I know I'm forgetting some other good acts.

I'm not sure if I'll be there opening day, but for sure I'll be there on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing everyone. :)

Celtic_Fae

Empty Hats is a must...if they are there this year.
Wine and Alchemy is a good bet---they are part of the former E Muzeki and will most likely be there.

Anna Iram

Wine and Alchemy may be there? I'd love to hear Mark's new group!

..and yes, absoute must to catch Empty Hats at least once (if not more).

Oh and I forgot Emrys Fleet our Rat Catcher's show.  :)

Princess Christine 2.0

OHHHH! if wine and alchemy is there i will do the happy hoopskirt dance!

Celtic_Fae

I'll be working for Wine and Alchemy if they get contracted. So, when I know, you'll know.  ;D

Princess Christine 2.0

YAY!!!! I have 2 of their songs on my myspace playlist!