News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

what should a new patron know??

Started by Auryn, January 12, 2009, 01:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squire Mickey

Well met Auryn,

Be a S. Florida girl, you most likely know to bring water. It gets a bit spendy to buy it in the faire. There are 5 (I think) different pubs, each seem to have their own "regulars".

The wenches guild does their "walk" at 4. They often select out a new initiate to be "wenched". That is always very entertaining.

I look forward to meeting you "in the lanes" or at the Sea Horse Pub (my personal favorite watering hole).
Mickey Flint, Esquire
First Mate, The Harbinger
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Auryn

thank you all for the warm welcome,
its making me so excited I have a hard time paying attention at work hehehe

Squire Mickey,
does BARF allow patrons to bring in their water??

I now have to go searching for Wine and Alchemy on myspace
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Auryn on January 14, 2009, 05:44:36 PM
thank you all for the warm welcome,
its making me so excited I have a hard time paying attention at work hehehe

Squire Mickey,
does BARF allow patrons to bring in their water??

I now have to go searching for Wine and Alchemy on myspace

Well, now that you ask, I am not sure what the exact policy was. I have always kept a bottle in a pouch. Hmmm. If that is against the rules, then I have to say that I am against the rules!

Anna? Escarlata? you guys know anything better?
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Princess Christine 2.0

I bring water and some food. they really cant deny someone bringing water in.
due to health issues you might have *wink wink*
They in the past have not looked in bags or baskets. cover it up and all is good!
We bring in flasks and such. noone really says much. they are too busy doing weapons check.

No Live steel weapons allowed, even thou they sell them there... even if its peacetied.
I like to use my wooden weapons. You can get nice ones at flea markets or budk.com

Also, SUNBLOCK!!!! Bring it wear it and reply it. Handy wipes are a great idea! It can be dusty or muddy depending on the weather!

I carry in my basket:
a mini first aide kit, Hand Wipes. Toilet seat covers, toilet paper and tissues.
you may be chuckling but there have been days there was nooo toilet paper!!!

Im not bad im just drawn that way!

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Princess Christine 2.0 on January 15, 2009, 08:43:45 AM
I bring water and some food. they really cant deny someone bringing water in.
due to health issues you might have *wink wink*
They in the past have not looked in bags or baskets. cover it up and all is good!
We bring in flasks and such. noone really says much. they are too busy doing weapons check.

No Live steel weapons allowed, even thou they sell them there... even if its peacetied.
I like to use my wooden weapons. You can get nice ones at flea markets or budk.com

Also, SUNBLOCK!!!! Bring it wear it and reply it. Handy wipes are a great idea! It can be dusty or muddy depending on the weather!

I carry in my basket:
a mini first aide kit, Hand Wipes. Toilet seat covers, toilet paper and tissues.
you may be chuckling but there have been days there was nooo toilet paper!!!

One other thing that I almost always bring in are favors to give out to kids. In the past I have had small "crystal balls" which I got from the pet shop (they were for aquariums).

This year I have changed my persona to a privateer so I have plastic and metal doubloons, pirate rings and gems (again aquarium).

The wooden weapons are great. I had to put together one for this fair as well. I was able to find one on Ebay. It wasn't painted, so I used metallic spray paint to make it look a bit more real.

Princess Christine also makes a good point on the flask. Mine is full with rum...
;)
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Anna Iram

Rum?! Heavens forbid! There's drinking going on at our faire?  :)

Auryn

hehe
you guys are awesome.
My character is an archer/ranger so my weapons consist of a bow and arrows (arrows are individually tied into the quiver and have no tips), and a small dagger (display type, can barely open a letter) strapped to my thigh and peace tied onto its sheath and my belt.  I might just carry the bow or just my quarter staff.

Princess Christine, I would never laugh,I am always over prepared like you.

Sunscreen is definitely a must, my boyfriend has had skin cancer 3 times now, so we both wear spf85. IF you see us and need some sunscreen, come and ask, I always carry it.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Princess Christine 2.0

We had a bow and arrows last year no one gave us a problem

Drinking at faire.... never heard of such madness

Im not bad im just drawn that way!

Squire Mickey

I was just told by a most reliable source (thanks Welsh Wenchie) that the wench walk is at 5, not 4.

Now, my difficulty with the time is most definitely due to the cider and rum that is NOT being consumed at the faire....

Gramercy for the error (says Squire Mickey)

Tis a small mater, take the wenching when ye can (says Captain Mickey Flint)
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Auryn

Dear Sir,
pray tell what is the wench walk??

Squire Mickey

Well, in fairness, I feel a bit strange be the one to tell ye the tale, and I must say, its never been done to this honest Privateer...

But, I hear that all the bonnie lasses whom belong to this here Wenches Guild collect themselves into a group. Tis said that they then go for a walk, steren' up trouble, causin a fair bit o fuss with their feminine wiles as  it were.

Now the coup de gras be the Wenchin' Now this I shudder to tell ye of, knowin ye to be a proper lass. There are them that say it be lookin like this...

The Wenches Guild upon a walk

The object of the wenching selected

It continues all down the line (poor soul, branded for all to see)

Captain Mickey Flint
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Anna Iram

Mickey, we'll have to be sure to get some good shots this year of a wenching in progress at BARF. I expect there wil be opportunities aplenty.

Auryn, our Queen, Madge Estes and her Ladies are in our local wenches guild as are many of the cast and members here and myself. I must admit I have never participated in a wenching,( I'm fairly new and just never managed to make it, but the lads do seem to enjoy it.  ;) The wenches each take a turn with a kiss and perhaps a sweet something whispered. They usually turn beet red when they are finished with.  ;D

One cannot participate in a wenching unless you are a member, but you can follow along and watch if you'd like. You can even join the guild and become a wench yourself.  :)

Sir LJ

Stay clear of ALL UFOs!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Let me add this in on the "PROPER WENCHING TECHNIQUES" Thanks to Kathryn (Fae) Weldon on this one. She put it all together. Besides, not all in the pictures above are Wenches by official title!

My advice is to also send a PM to Welsh Wench. She is always one in the middle of a Wenching and can give you some good advice, proper techniques etc. Tell her LJ sent you! You will find Wenchie here. Look down at the bottom of the page for "Send this member a personal message" link!

Wenching Video
Semper Fi,

Sir LJ

The Red Horseman / Marine'n M'Crack

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Lord Jarhead on January 15, 2009, 02:38:26 PM
Stay clear of ALL UFOs!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Let me add this in on the "PROPER WENCHING TECHNIQUES" Thanks to Kathryn (Fae) Weldon on this one. She put it all together. Besides, not all in the pictures above are Wenches by official title!

My advice is to also send a PM to Welsh Wench. She is always one in the middle of a Wenching and can give you some good advice, proper techniques etc. Tell her LJ sent you! You will find Wenchie here. Look down at the bottom of the page for "Send this member a personal message" link!

Wenching Video

The images where actually from the TRF as I could not find any of the pictures from last year's wenchings (there were a slew of the them, especially from Fae from Kilt Boy, but I have no idea where they all went!)

But Lord Jarhead is correct, Welsh Wenchie is a font of information, and a muse of all things beautiful and true!
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Anna Iram

Auryn. if you'd like to learn more about the wenches guild and what they stand for. go to www.wench.org:) While WW has certainly been around a long time and could give you an idea from her own perspective, there are many who are Ladies and Pirates ..etc. that have their own way. If you DO want to become a wench look to bring out your own inner wench. Not a copy of another. That's the beauty of the sisterhood. We all respect one another's differences. :)

There are also plenty of other amusements at our faire... The Queens Men in Tights contest perhaps? Now that's a sight to behold. :)