News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

October 24-25th

Started by SleepyArcher, January 13, 2009, 09:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master James

Quote from: SleepyArcher on October 20, 2009, 01:01:53 AM
Gee I dont have a cape  :(

Has anyone been to Baltimore's Medieval Times? I havent been to one in a long time and thought I would go there since its like 10 minutes from my hotel and I am going for a "Renaissance" weekend hehe.

I've been to the one at Anne Arrundel Mall if that is the one you are talking about.  Its a great show although paying the extra for the royal pass isn't worth it to me.  Every seat is a good seat and you only get a DVD and picture for the $20 difference per ticket and you get to sit a little closer to the arena although you are just as packed in and get the same meal.  So not worth the extra as far as I'm concerned but the show and food are good and an enjoyable evening.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

will paisley

Quote from: SleepyArcher on October 20, 2009, 01:01:53 AM
Gee I dont have a cape  :(

Has anyone been to Baltimore's Medieval Times? I havent been to one in a long time and thought I would go there since its like 10 minutes from my hotel and I am going for a "Renaissance" weekend hehe.

I might do it in the off season, but it's pricey, and you can see more jousting and eat more and better food for considerably less money by just going to faire.  If I wanted to "keep the Ren party going" after faire, so to speak, I'd probably hang out around the gate after faire and find out where everybody was going to dinner, or just drop in at Famous Dave's or Fuddruckers and ask to sit with anybody wearing garb.  Medieval Times would be quite the let-down to me after faire.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

SleepyArcher

Sweet you guys have a Fuddruckers....I love that place!!!!
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

RSLeask

Quote from: will paisley on October 20, 2009, 09:31:36 AM
Medieval Times would be quite the let-down to me after faire.

I'm gonna jump in on this, as well.  While it -is- an experience, and can be a bit exciting for kids and such, MT is a huge expenditure (especially for a group of people), and while the food isn't bad, it certainly isn't "oh wow!" for the price you pay.  To boot, the jousting is all scripted show.  Even though I had went when I was younger, having watched the full-charge full-contact jousting at my home faire (MIRF), it was just blatantly obvious that it wasn't real jousting.  Honestly, even the joust here, I can't really sit through... no offense to the guys who ride, because it still takes a lot of skill, but I die a little on the inside every time I watch a lance snap in half.

You can have fun there, but yeah... not necessarily worth it unless you just particularly want to go for the experience.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

will paisley

Quote from: RSLeask on October 20, 2009, 02:47:19 PM
I'm gonna jump in on this, as well.  While it -is- an experience, and can be a bit exciting for kids and such, MT is a huge expenditure (especially for a group of people), and while the food isn't bad, it certainly isn't "oh wow!" for the price you pay.  To boot, the jousting is all scripted show.  Even though I had went when I was younger, having watched the full-charge full-contact jousting at my home faire (MIRF), it was just blatantly obvious that it wasn't real jousting.  Honestly, even the joust here, I can't really sit through... no offense to the guys who ride, because it still takes a lot of skill, but I die a little on the inside every time I watch a lance snap in half.

You may want to talk to some of the jousting aficionados at MDRF.  Everything I've ever heard about the Free Lance Jousters is that the jousts themselves aren't scripted (though the fighting afterward certainly has to be), and that the jousting tournament is completely real and unscripted.  I'm not nearly enough of a jousting fan to know the difference, but there's a guy at faire who takes heavy-duty, professional quality photos of the joust and captures some very special moments, such as tip-to-tip lance breaks, that can't possibly be scripted
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

LadySeasan

my husband and i will be there this sunday! although excited to go to faire, im sad that it will be the last faire of the season :)

is there going to be a tailgate at all?
Clan M'Crack-Season M'Crack

Lady_Glorianna

As a castmember I can tell you that this year the entire jousting sessions are 100% not scripted and totally for real. Previous couple of years, the skills contests were somewhat scripted (there were times things did not go according to plans) but the lance passes have always been again 100% not scripted. They are totally trying to unhorse each other while controlling their horses in a very short arena. The free lancers are excellent at what they do and just one of the few "jousting troupes" to do real jousting as opposed to "action theatre" and I know that at least two are National and International jousting champions. Closing weekend is tournament weekend where you will only see lance competitions on various styles. Aside from bragging rights there is a purse involved so the jousters have an extra incentive to fight.
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

analise

Huh, I didn't realize there was actual purse money involved in the tournament. :)

Lady_Glorianna

I guess I should have said that there may be a purse involved as I am not sure there is one anymore but there used to be. That is why we had jousters from all over and Canada coming down to compete.
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair