News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

When was your 1st time at Scarborough Faire?

Started by Love Good Wood, January 13, 2009, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbaldock

Sounds like you weren't the only one having fun that day.  ;)  :D
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

LadyElizabeth

My first time was in 2004 with my one and only rennie friend and her boyfriend.  I was still very new to fair, it was only my second time ever at a festival.  I was lost the entire day, but had a wonderful time.  It was sunny and georgous and I remember meeting the Duchess and thinking she was the most amazingly dressed woman I'd ever seen.  To this day I still find her garb extremely impressive!!

Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

julessweetie

My first Scarby...Opening weekend 2007 ;D  I had a wonderful time...and it gave birth to the Loki Musketeers!  lol ;)  Opening Weekend 2009 HERE I COME!!! ;D

VIII

It was 1983 and I went with my best friend  8) and my girlfriend  :-*.  We were punked-out and I got her sooo drunk on Mead. A Minstrel drew a crowd around us and we all joined in on a song.  We got to the Joust late and couldn't see a thing, so we went for a final Mead.  I drove her father's car home and she Ralphed all over the side of the car.  ::)

She never returned and I have been back every year with a Season Pass, until I joined cast in 1987.

Interesting Note: In the Scarborough office, there is an arial photo of the Faire from 1981.  The Joust was in Crown Meadow and there was no Pecan Grove!

Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Tukaram

I started going in the 2nd season.  My girlfriend was taken to Scarby opening year by her boyfriend.  So she took me the next year and we had a great time, even got invited to an orgy our first time there.  But since she was only 16 we decided it would be best not to go.

Except for a 4 year Navy break I have been every year since. 

Now I get to see how different it will be as an employee for the first time.

HeatherLarsen

2008 will mark my 15th year to visit Scarby. My dad took me for the very first time in 1995 when I was seven years old. We have been to every season since then, except now I am married and my husband and I take our two beautiful daughters. I'm keeping the tradition going!

Heather Larsen

Ryk Rakham

My first trip was 2nd weekend in 1993. A friend at work invited me because he thought, being recently divorced, I needed to get out and meet interesting people! (none of those at Scarby though are there?) I went on closing weekend in garb. I have been ever since, never out of garb, and have had a season/FOF pass since 1997. I have a "garb room" now, the closet is not big enough, swords enough to hold off a small assault, and many wonderful memories of great friends. Oh, I was greeting by Lord A and Queen Bonnie on our first trip and found them ever time I went. I do miss seeing Lord A (although I've seen him out of the corner of my eye, standing in shady spots on nice days). In '93 I had no grandkids...on last year I took 7 of my grandkids and got them and their parents all hooked!
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry

Love Good Wood

Quote from: VIII on March 17, 2009, 11:40:59 AM
It was 1983 and I went with my best friend  8) and my girlfriend  :-*.  We were punked-out and I got her sooo drunk on Mead. A Minstrel drew a crowd around us and we all joined in on a song.  We got to the Joust late and couldn't see a thing, so we went for a final Mead.  I drove her father's car home and she Ralphed all over the side of the car.  ::)

She never returned and I have been back every year with a Season Pass, until I joined cast in 1987.

Interesting Note: In the Scarborough office, there is an arial photo of the Faire from 1981.  The Joust was in Crown Meadow and there was no Pecan Grove!

I thought I remembered the joust being in Crown Meadow (it was a LONG time ago... thought I was just imagining it)... I have a picture of me in the "stocks" in 81... much smaller fair then but still great... if anyone went to the faire in 85-86 I worked at the "drink cart" right by "Whimsey Stage" by the joust... also worked with the Knights a bit.... great memories

Trixie

My first time at Scarby was in 1993. I won tickets to attend on Mother's Day from a local radio station that was at the Fort Worth Main Street Arts Fest. 
My daughter  insisted on wearing her Christmas dress along with her princess crown. The dress was a daisy kingdom with big puff sleeves and a big skirt that had lots of layers. It looked like it belong in the late 1800's or early 1900's instead of 1533. lol   Katie has a mild form of autism, so I know when to pick battles and when to just leave it be.
   She had a blast with everyone calling her princess or milady. 

The catch to the free tickets was to meet the KZPS bus at a doughnut shop in Fort Worth, we were then given the tickets along with some food coupons.  Of course we had to meet back at a certain time to ride the bus back.
     It was my second time at a faire, the first was in October 1992 when I went to the Kansas City RenFest, with the guy I was dating at the time. He was from Emporia, Kansas.  As a mom I had to bring back something for my daughter. lol So she got a t-shirt and the princess hat.  The type with the long scarves off the point.

My next time to Scarby was in 1995 with my boyfriend at the time. Buddy was a rennie. He had went every year from the time Scarby open until the year he died. While he was attending TxA&M he went to TRF.  So far I've only been to TRF one time and that was in 1997 with Buddy.
   Hopefully, I'll have the time & funds to attend TRF this year.

In the meantime this will be my 2nd yr to work Scarby instead of just attending.  I did enjoy meeting those of you who took the time to stop by and say hello.

Trixie