News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Coming Soon - Invasion of the Chicago Field Museum Exhibit - Real Pirates

Started by gypsyqueenie, January 16, 2009, 01:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gypsyqueenie

Yes just giving a head's up mates -The Brethren of the Great Lakes be planning an invasion to the Chicago Field Museum's Exhibit Real Pirates. As a veteran of this exhibit it is a must see for anyone who has any interest in history -nautical or not. If I remember correctly the display is set up by the same visionary who did the Tut exhibit a few years back. It is absolutely awesome. Stay tuned as we hammer out the details for the group. Thinking end of Feb at this point. The exhibit runs from the end of Feb through Oct. The more scallywags the merrier. Remember it's a Plunderful Year!!!
Yours in Piracy,
Admiral Morgan Ramirez MD
Pirate Lord of Lake Huron
Brethren of the Great Lakes Inc
Michigan Pirate Festival
etc

holierthanthou

Man that sounds exquisite!  Wish I could go.  Take a few hostages Morgan.  ;D

Lady Aleta of Brecknoch (aka the Lady with the immensly long hat pin from the founding year of Derbyshire who has relocated to Colorado Renaissance Festival and joined the nunery... But somehow manages to get into pirate garb and annoy the heck out of others now and again.)
There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish a small candle.

Lady Deborah

We went to this exhibit in Cincinnati in October 2007.  Wow!  I was expecting a few small artifacts.......but it was overwhelming!  Don't miss this one!

Lady Renee Buchanan

Out of curiosity:  Does your group go in garb?

Just wonderin'. . . . . ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

gypsyqueenie

We will be certainly taking prisoners and guests and the like. We are negotiating things now including date and mode of transport. Yeppers Hookah Joe and I went to the Cinci exhibit as well and it was stunningly luverly. I will advise when details are solid and will post here. Oh and of course it's in garb or nothing at all!!!

xox
AM
Michigan Pirate Festival
etc

Lady Gwyndolyn

Lady Gwyndolyn
Duchess of Kearsley

gypsyqueenie

Workin on it we be - got buses lined up in April now too. More details be comin in the next week.
Michigan Pirate Festival
etc

gypsyqueenie

Pirates, Privateers, Corsairs, Buccaneers, Scallywags, Mercenaries, Wenches, Rogues, Privateers, and Gentlefolk of Fortune,
Announcing the Brethren of the Great Lakes Invasion of the Chicago Field Museum Saturday 2/28/08 11:30a.m. in full Pirate Regalia!!
We have negotiated a group rate with the museum on the 28th for the following group reduced entrance fees:
$20.00 per adult (ages 18-44)
$11.00 per child (ages 4-11)
$17.00 per senior (ages 45 and older)
$17.00 per student (ages 12-17)

Tickets must be paid via the Brethren directly prior to the 14th of February to take advantage of this offer. We accept payment through Paypal or personal checks made out to "Brethren of the Great Lakes Inc". If the check doesn't clear neither does your ticket into the museum.  With a group there are no tickets but something similar to a "guest list" at the front entrance would be held and checked off upon our arrival. Please park in the parking garage and yes there is a fee. (Anywhere you park in Chicago will have a fee.) Once we are all arrived and settled the tour will commence.
Immediately after the exhibit and shopping at the museum shops, we will en masse head over to Gracie O' Malley's for a bite if you so choose. Prices range at the restaurant from under 10 bucks to 21.99 per entrée. Menu is located at this link:  http://www.mainstayhospitality.com/files/resourcesmodule/@random44c5bc35bbcd1/1229203251_Dining_Room_Menu.pdf
We had talked about getting our own room reserved but it was cost prohibitive. A reservation is made but wherever they can fit us will be fine. Keep in mind people Chicago strictly enforces their no smoking rules. Smoking is permitted usually outside and no less than 15 feet away from the building.
If joining us at Grace O' Malley's leave your car in the museum parking garage as the restaurant is within walking distance. A brisk walk versus another 20-40 bucks parking fee is worth it.  Walking Directions from:
FIELD MUSEUM
1400 S. Lakeshore Dr.
Chicago, IL 60605
312-922-9410
to
GRACE O' MALLEYS
1416 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60605
312-588-1800

Head North on S. Columbus Dr.; turn left (west) on E. Roosevelt Rd.; Upon arriving at S Michigan Ave – head South and until you arrive.
Again, this scenario is for people who will be meeting us at the museum and arranging their own transportation and parking.
Michigan Pirate Festival
etc

LadyHawkeontheHill

Hmmm, what a great excuse to go to Chicago...AND play dress up! I might have to work this in.
Willy Nilly on-the-wash town Strumpet
Castleteer Pillar
Irish Penny Brigade member

gypsyqueenie

http://www.brethrenofthegreatlakes.com/events/Whydah/whydah1.htm

Heave to ye scabarous dogs!
Ifn ye be interested ye have until 5pm on Friday 2/13/09 ta make
payment on yer tickets for the invasion. Otherwise we be leavin
without ye...mark me words - those that fall behind - stay behind.
Thar be no exceptions.

With that being said mates - if ye want to go - click on our website
and order tickets - the clock be tickin. We done had a plethora of
interest but when it's time to load yer pistol, ye dropped em - so
pick em up and start firin!!!

So far I be having the followin crew attendin, confirmed and paid in
full:
Me of course - Admiral Morgan
Hookah Joe - go figure
Count d'Booty - well duh
Capt Jackie Sparrow
Zohla and Sorcha
Repo and Guest

I will be advising on further instructions directly to those who be
going and no one else...like where we be meeting, where we be eating,
where we be stoppin et al.

Ye shall receive no further reminders on this mates - so no snoozin'
Yours in piracy,
AMR
Michigan Pirate Festival
etc

gypsyqueenie

Details from the Admiral for those of us that are going to the Whydah Exhibit at the Chicago Field Museum this Saturday:

Here be the skinny on this Saturday's Invasion of the Field Museum:

Michigan Crew Departure and Arrival
Avast me hearties we be heading out Saturday morning from BGL HQ at 10am sharp.(Michigan Time) Those that be meeting at HQ please be prompt as we 'ave others meeting us along the path.

We will then shove off and head over to Captain Ed's Candy Island arriving about 10:45am (Michigan Time).
The address of Captain Ed's Candy Store is 400 E US Hwy 20., Michigan City In 46360.
Their Website: www.captain-eds-candy-island.com
A pirate/nautical themed candy store. Free samples and free vintage pinball. One-quarter mile east of Marquette Mall on US Hwy 20. Look for the Pirate Ship. This be only 5 minutes off  I94 West mates so no worries (exit 34B in Indiana). We will meet up with folks here as well. We will spend no more than 25 minutes here. I would suggest cramming as many folks as ye can inta the vehicles here due to the toll roads and timing. I would budget at least $10 for tolls as we are taking the skyway.

We will have one seat available in the Admiral's vessel so first come first served – Jackie is that you I hear knocking on the porthole? We do have an I-Pass and will be through the tolls faster. Then the caravan be off to the Field Museum.

The address of the FIELD MUSEUM is 1400 S. Lakeshore Dr. Chicago, IL 60605 312-922-9410. We should be taking Lake Shore Drive aka (US41) north until the 18th street exit. We will be turning right on 18th and continue as it bends left, becoming Museum Campus Drive. Entrance to the parking garage will on your left on Museum Campus Drive. We should arrive around 11:30am CHICAGO time – which is an hour behind Michigan. We will be parking in the garage of the museum and yes there is a fee. (Anywhere you park in Chicago will have a fee budget at least a 20 dollar bill for this depending on your length of stay. They only accept cash. According to the museum website it states that it is $16.00 for the first four hours and $19 thereafter.)  There we will make final adjustments to our wardrobe and head into the Museum by 11:45am. Our tour commences once the entire group arrives so it is important that everyone be arriving within 15 minutes of each other and no later. Remember the tickets are timed mates so TIMING IS EVERYTHING.

WISCONSIN AND ILLINOIS CREW
The address of the FIELD MUSEUM is 1400 S. Lakeshore Dr. Chicago, IL 60605 312-922-9410. We should arrive around 11:30am. We will be parking in the garage of the museum and yes there is a fee. (Anywhere you park in Chicago will have a fee budget at least a 20 dollar bill for this depending on your length of stay. They only accept cash. According to the museum website it states that it is $16.00 for the first four hours and $19 thereafter.)  There we will make final adjustments to our wardrobe and head into the Museum by 11:45am. Our tour commences once the entire group arrives so it is important that everyone be arriving within 15 minutes of each other and no later. Remember the tickets are timed mates so TIMING IS EVERYTHING.

ALL CREWS/ALL PIRATES
Finally below are the wishes of the museum regarding their policy on weapons. Please understand that this is the best response for a  "no weapons allowed" gig I have ever heard in all me years doing this! Please do respect their wishes and our wishes for no weapons or I be casting ye overboard meself.

Weapons Policy directly from our folks at the Museum:

"In sadder news, I just spoke to the head of Security, and he told me that they cannot allow any weapons that could be mistaken for the real thing--even if that real thing is 100 years old.  It doesn't matter if they're holstered, zip-tied, or otherwise secured; anything that isn't obviously foam or plastic will not be allowed.  Items like this, (she sent the link for the plastic sword and eye patch for $6.00) which we sell in the Museum Store are fine, but I have a feeling your replicas are a little more realistic.

So I'm afraid you will have to be less convincing pirates than usual when you come to visit us; Security will not allow anything that cold be mistaken as a real weapon by other guests.  I did my best to pitch for you, but they started quoting our official Museum Security Guidelines, and those are pretty hard to fight.

Hope the awesomeness of the exhibit helps to mitigate the sting of being unarmed buccaneers!"

AFTERWARDS

Immediately after the exhibit and shopping at the museum shops, we will en masse head over to Gracie O' Malley's for a bite if you so choose. Prices range at the restaurant from under 10 bucks to 21.99 per entrée. Menu is located at this link: 
http://www.mainstayhospitality.com/files/resourcesmodule/@random44c5bc35bbcd1/1229203251_Dining_Room_Menu.pdf

A reservation is made but wherever they can fit us will be fine. Keep in mind people Chicago strictly enforces their no smoking rules. Smoking is permitted usually outside and no less than 15 feet away from the building.

If joining us at Grace O' Malley's leave your car in the museum parking garage as the restaurant is within walking distance. A brisk walk versus another 20-40 bucks parking fee is worth it not to mention the driving around looking for it time. Make sure you bring a coat or cape as I am sure the Windy City will be cold and windy as usual in February.  Walking Directions from:
FIELD MUSEUM
1400 S. Lakeshore Dr.
Chicago, IL 60605
312-922-9410

to

GRACE O' MALLEYS
1416 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60605
312-588-1800

Head North on S. Columbus Dr.; turn left (west) on E. Roosevelt Rd.; Upon arriving at S Michigan Ave – head South and until you arrive.

It's gonna look really cool a gaggle of pirates walking down Michigan Avenue eh??

Looking forward to it mates!!

Proprietess of of the Guiness Pub, Port of Holly
Morgan's Privateer Pub, Port Royale
Only child of Sir Henry Morgan Esquire
Governor of Jamaica

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updates and last minute instructions:
So I did some scouting ahead today like usual and I found that it appears this Captain Ed's is located right by a mall.
Therefore me advice if ye be meeting us there – forget about the stupid mapquest – it takes you off the direct path.
Fer smoother sailing try taking 94 W to exit 34 B/Route 421.
Head north to Highway 20 ( this intersection has Fannie May and the Mall to your left)
-   turn right/east at Highway 20.
-   Travel down Highway 20 about a quarter mile.
Captain Ed's is across from Brown Mackie College
Used to be a furniture store – has big boat
Highway 20 between 421 and Cleveland
(If you pass Cleveland you have gone too far- turn around)
Call if any issues 219-872-6294 Capt Ed's

-------
Additional news - the museum is thrilled to have us and as a special treat the concretion at the front of the exhibit houses something really special - pins and needles mates - pins and needles!
I will share the secret UPON our return

xox
AMR

Michigan Pirate Festival
etc

gypsyqueenie

Fantabulous time indeed.....and the surprise....welll...
how bout a shoulder bone protruding from a concretion of a real pirate - wouldn't it be astounding if it was Bellamy hisself??? I so verclemp(sp?)
xox
AMR

Michigan Pirate Festival
etc