News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A real Minnesota winter this year

Started by winterland, January 14, 2009, 02:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dayna

It's been colder than I remember for several days now, no problem, long sleeved shirt, full-length skirt with flannel petticoat underneath, my trusty Windwalker boots from Bristol RenFaire, topped off by a full-length Texas Body Hanging wool cape with hood.  Except for my face, warm as toast.  The people at work were curious, until I had them put their hand under my cape. 

A wool lined cloak is warmer than a polyester down-filled parka, and it's much more practical when your main concern is keeping your 4.5 pound wee doggie warm.  Nixie wears her sweater and jacket, then wrapped in several layers of polarfleece and under my cape she goes.  You can't do that with a coat.

Dayna and the Mighty War Rat
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Phelyp, Lord Maydestone

Quote from: renren on January 15, 2009, 06:42:25 PM
Quote from: Phelyp, Lord Maydestone on January 15, 2009, 05:02:56 PM
-42C this a.m. in NW Ontario.  Lord have mercy!
Is that the temp? or windchill?

That's including windchill.

It's so cold, they canceled school today!

They did that in some towns just east of here but no such luck locally.  My students have been inside for 2 solid weeks - they've gone bonkers (and driven me there too - there ain't enough wine in Australia to fix this).
It's always time for Chardonnay!

groomporter

When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Leyla

Lord Figaro

Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Goody

Maybe the Dregs could add that to their playlist too!!

Speakin off MN winter spent all night at work listening to the rain (in FEBRUARY!!) It was sposda freeze but hasn't really and road crews have been salting so it's not slippery therefore I'm glad it was rain and not snow! (tried to not make that a run-on but oh well!)

white trillium

Happy to hear that the icy stuff didn't really appear (the news made it sound like Duluth and the surrounding area was shutting down yesterday).

We have a nice big puddle in the garage (there is a drain, but it is frozen still.....) and a little wooden bridge over the puddle leading out to the hot tub.  Rain in February is weird.
Everything starts as somebody's daydream. ~Larry Niven

Lord Figaro

You guys are getting rain and down here in my part of AZ we just got the worst snow storm they've claimed they have ever had. It had parts of I40 closed for quite some time. Heck it's been almost two days ago and still have snow on the ground. Most is melted, but the temps haven't climbed back up to normal yet so the snow seems to be sticking around a little. Odd wouldn't you say? I moved here to get away from snow and they've had two of the worst snow storms ever since I got here. Now what's with this global warming thing again?

George Santayana

DeadBishop

I think you just brought the snow with you, Fig... ;D

R/F.com member since 2003

Leyla

Looks like the warm weather is over...brrrrrr.  Back to the extra layers again.

groomporter

When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Lord Figaro

Quote from: Deadbishop on February 11, 2009, 01:11:25 PM
I think you just brought the snow with you, Fig... ;D

Brandi said if we tell people where we moved from that they'll be blaming us for it ROFL.

George Santayana