News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tattoos... NOT!

Started by BubbleWright, October 12, 2008, 10:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbleWright

PARF had 2 pirate weekends this year. The first one I wore tattoo sleeves and the second one I wore a long sleeve full tattoo shirt. This weekend no less than 2 dozen people stopped me to look at my "tats". One was a tattoo artist who felt a bit foolish to be taken in. From a few feet away they do look very real. These can be found at Halloween stores, dollar stores (sometimes), and on eBay. Seach for them under "tattoo sleeves/tattoo shirts". Prices can range from a dollar to over a hundred dollars. I paid a dollar each sleeve and twenty dollars for the shirt... it was well worth it.
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

dragongirl

LOL that is awsome!!!!  I wish I show off my tat at the faires.  However, to do that my hinney and lower back would have to hang out.  I got sucked in and got the "tramp stamp". lol
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

SleepyArcher

I have a pair of those. I had one pair that I wore to a poker game and my friends wife thought they were real and when she found out they weren't she bought them rite off my arms. I have since bought another pair. I wear them with my black utilikilts kilt and black pirate skull and crossbones shirt. When I shaved my head and had a goatee I looked pretty bad weed puller. i have wore them to work for fun and we all get a laugh out of them. Someday I will get the real ones lol.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Lady Mousie

I have a nautical star on ear shoulder and a big sparrow on my left arm. Problem is I work in faire and TRF does not allow participant to show tattoos and all piercings must be taken out. I really think an exception should be made for pirates. Besides think about the fact that yes they did have tattoos and brands, yeah they we're hard to do but it marked them. Hate having to cover them, I can't wear anything off my shoulders anymore.
Briga-Vala-holic
Chaingang wench
Mother to Reignbeau Dawn aka Mini Mouse

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

Lady Mousie you know at major dept. stores they have a line of makeup that covers up tats. Works very well, so show them shoulders! ::)
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

groomporter

I recently also saw an ad for the opposite of the fake tattoo sleeves intended to let people like police wear short sleeve uniform shirts, but still hide their arm tattoos. It kind made it look like they are wearing a long-sleeved Tshirt.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

Quote from: Lady Mousie on October 23, 2008, 08:39:19 PM
I have a nautical star on ear shoulder and a big sparrow on my left arm. Problem is I work in faire and TRF does not allow participant to show tattoos and all piercings must be taken out. I really think an exception should be made for pirates. Besides think about the fact that yes they did have tattoos and brands, yeah they we're hard to do but it marked them. Hate having to cover them, I can't wear anything off my shoulders anymore.

This may be a silly question, but ear piercings too?
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Lady Mousie

Well, I guess I should have clarified. We can wear ear piercings but people with plugs have to take them out. Performers can still wear theirs though. I think it looks more strange to see a hole through a saggy earlobe.
Briga-Vala-holic
Chaingang wench
Mother to Reignbeau Dawn aka Mini Mouse

Lord Figaro

Well they can't use the excuse it's not period, cuz it darn well is. Maybe they've been disenyfied and they don't know it? I can understand, that some danes get intimidated when they see a person with lots of tats on them, and they don't want to scare the customers away. But just one more way some places play that whole PC card.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

MacLaren

I don't know about performers, but I've been going short-sleeved in the shop for Excalibur without so much as a comment other than "hey where'd you get that snake done?"

Piercings should be allowed. Tattoos should be allowed for certain characters. I understand royalty not having any, but pirates? Come on!
Dan
Clan McLotofus
Captain, HMS Landshark
ROoL #78, guppy
FOKTOP

Messyn McCleavage

Quote from: dragongirl on October 13, 2008, 01:51:26 AM
LOL that is awsome!!!!  I wish I show off my tat at the faires.  However, to do that my hinney and lower back would have to hang out.  I got sucked in and got the "tramp stamp". lol

I've also heard them called, "As* Antlers."
Gneonach Gnomie - SW Houston, TX

MacLaren

On the tattoo subject....

I'm looking for ideas. The two pics are my newest addition. What I'm looking for is inspiration on some text between the bands. I'm thinking of Gaelic, but what to say? Strength, Honor, Courage, along those lines. Anyone have an idea?

The bands are nearly all the way around my arm, so a great traditional phrase idea would be much appreciated! Sorry for the fuzzy pic of the bands.

[/img]

Dan
Clan McLotofus
Captain, HMS Landshark
ROoL #78, guppy
FOKTOP

Messyn McCleavage

VIRTUES in Scottish Gaelic:

Courage   Misneach
Honour   Onoir

For "strength" you could be more specific and use:

Hardiness   Cruadal
or Boldness   Danachd

VICES:
Drunkenness  = Misg  ;D

If you're interested in using Tolkien's Tengwar alphabet (which just looks cool; traditionally Scotts gaelic uses Latin font)

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tengwar_gaelic.htm

Gneonach Gnomie - SW Houston, TX