News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Any rat owners??

Started by *niemi*, January 21, 2009, 02:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

*niemi*

Not fest related~ hope it's ok to ask here.  My 10 your old daughter just got her first rat a couple days ago.  I finally talked her out of one of the nasty hamster creatures.  >:( 
Are any rat owners out there willing to give a little advice?
Thanks!

Ferret

Craigslist has a pet forum. You might ask for rat help there.
Ferret

Lady Pagos

I have owned rats in the past and work with them every day.  Let me know if there is any questions I can answer for you.
Congrats BTW.  They make wonderful pets!!
Pagos M'Crack
Sister of Bugsey
Loveland Castleteer

Peddlin

Send a renmail to Metheri. Not only does she own rats, she also fosters them, and I'm sure she would be happy to help.    :)
Peddlin M'Crack
Countess of Tyrone
Ette
IWG #3790, Local 96

Celtic_Fae

I own 6 rats, have owned rats in the past, and am expecting a potential litter on the way. Feel free to ask anything you want. I'm glad you saw the merit of getting a rat over those nasty little hamsters!

NORSEMAN

Do exwives count as rats?.

Metheri

Yes I am a rat owner with 3 of my own and 4 fosters currently. They are sweet creatures. They are very social creatures so we try to have bonded pairs but a single rat can be very happy but needs lots of human interaction. I would be happy to answer questions.

Metheri
Metheri
Moneypenny
Cruise Director and Brigade Secretary for Clan O'Ceallaig
Irish Penny Brigade

Celtic_Fae

Here's a good site to start your own rat research or find out answers to specific questions you might have: http://ratguide.com/care/

RenRobin

I can not get past the thought that with every step they take urine is passed on their back feet.  Turn on a black light when they have just walked on a surface and you will see....  Glad somebody lurvs the critters.
Loki-terr (in training)

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: RenRobin on January 21, 2009, 05:11:48 PM
I can not get past the thought that with every step they take urine is passed on their back feet.  Turn on a black light when they have just walked on a surface and you will see....  Glad somebody lurvs the critters.
Well not much worse than a cat who takes a dump in it's cat box or uninates in it, then walks all over it, then walks all over the floor and some people let them get on tables and counters where food is prepared. I'd take a rat any day.

One of my boys owns a rat. Veru intelliget creature it is. It was a bitter at first and by wearing gloves it stopped. He wold also blow in it's face when it tried to bite and rats don't like that either. Plus all the handling helped.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Welsh Wench

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

captmarga

Quote from: *niemi* on January 21, 2009, 02:13:26 PM
Not fest related~ hope it's ok to ask here.  My 10 your old daughter just got her first rat a couple days ago.  I finally talked her out of one of the nasty hamster creatures.  >:( 
Are any rat owners out there willing to give a little advice?
Thanks!

Huzzah for getting a rat and not a hamster!  Having worked in pet stores for years I came to loathe hamsters.  Love rats!  My daughter had rats for several years, had one live well over 4 years (pet store bred).

Capt Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

RenRobin

Quote from: Lady de Laney on January 21, 2009, 09:11:11 PM
Quote from: RenRobin on January 21, 2009, 05:11:48 PM
Well not much worse than a cat who takes a dump in it's cat box or uninates in it, then walks all over it, then walks all over the floor and some people let them get on tables and counters where food is prepared. I'd take a rat any day.

Don't have one of those either for that very reason.  :P ;) :D
Loki-terr (in training)

*niemi*

Thanks for all the resources!  My biggest question is how much to feed her.  I'm finding lots of info on what to feed her, but not on how much.  Do they stop eating when they're full??  Or will they over eat if given too much?   ???
Last night we had her out, and holding her cuddled in a towel (she's still a little timid), but my daughter was petting her head, and rocking her and she fell asleep (the rat, not my daughter..).  So cute.  My daughter finally named her Roxy JoJo~ after the Roxy brand of Skis/snowboards, lol..

Lady Pagos

Sounds like it's going well! 
The amount you want to feed depends on what kind of food you are feeding.  I'm a big pellet/block promoter (as opposed to seed diets).  A small handful daily should be fine.  You will want to clean the bowl daily so if you fill it all the way, you will be throwing out alot of food.  Don't forget that your rat will enjoy some fresh fruits and veggies as well :)
Pagos M'Crack
Sister of Bugsey
Loveland Castleteer