News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Known or expected changes this year?

Started by maddog00, May 15, 2008, 12:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog00

If I'm not mistaken, the faire is under new management, and I was wondering if anyone heard or knows about any changes that might be coming this year to the faire...or changes in the future.

Just curious for those who actually live nearby and can hear this stuff. I'm about 5 hours away, but going to go again for a weekend this year. :)

Lady Amy of York

Not as many weeks  this year as last year.  The hours have  changed  a bit.  Plus i thought someone  told me prices for tickets have gone up a bit.
  Also the theme weeknds  have changed   a bit  according to the  faire website.
I reccommend checking out the faire website !

But one way or another i'm looking forward to going ! :)
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Ozium

Well lets see if i can get this all together.

140+ BTM cast this year, has been 70's
Wolgamute
Crannog
Barby Holde
Boba DaVinci/Kenny Silkie
Paolo Garbanzo

The bridge between the two towers at the main enterance is being redone, so there
will be BTM people over you as you enter the faire i suspect. I have not had time to
walk the grounds to see what else has changed.

I expect more that i have not heard about.
Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

maddog00

BLAKDUKE

I know to some this may be beating a dead horse, but does anyone close to the faire owners think they might consider
re-vamping the weapons policy, or are they just going to continue as is.   I ask, not so much for this year as it is to soon to opening day but maybe for ensuing years.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Ozium

The core company of interactive actors, The Bless the Mark Players (or BTM for short), brings the town to life by portraying the rogues, vagabonds, and townspeople of Shakespeare's day.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

Minch

Gotta chime in on the issue of the size of the Bless the Mark players:

In 2006, there were 36 members in the cast.

In 2007, there were 18 BtM and 17 or 18 additional Warwickshiremen (the volunteer troupe of actors who were there on a less stringent basis, to fill out a few scenarios and work the lanes).

This coming year, according to the information on the website, there will be between 32 and 40 BtM and an additional 14 Yeoman BtM (which is the same deal as the Warwickshiremen, with a spiffy new name).  This will not equal more than 54 people.

Not sure if there were ever 70 people in the BtM, but I can say with certainty that this has not been the case at any point over the past several years.  There will not be 140 cast members this year.  Perhaps that is the total number of entertainers at the festival, including the musicians and the other independents...

Ozium

That's probably what i was told, 140 performers total, Because they had 70ish last year.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

Cobaltblu

So 140 total entertainers, ok.

I was looking through the "waybackmachine" or internet archive at an old cached version of the sterling website from 1999 (great place to see the changes in the festival website from 1999 btw) and it had the following text:

"More than 700 professional actors
and stagehands bring the festivities
to life. Meet them as you stroll
through town. Take in one of the
more than 80 stage and street
performances."

700???

Was there a time when there were 700 actors and stagehands (perhaps this includes the acts and vendors)?

I checked other years of cached versions of the website and around 2002-2003 the number was decreased to 200.

Either way the increase from last year is a good improvement.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Minch

I am also going to throw in a guess that the number 140 includes everyone who is signed, regardless for how many weekends they are engaged. 

700?!??  Holy Moly.  I was not there in 1999, but I can't remember a time from a visit or from my work there when there were ever quite that many "professional actors and stagehands."  Stagehand is also used fairly loosely.

I think maybe if you include every actor, groundling, independent, gamer, security guard, bathroom attendant, pub wench, flower girl and pretzel boy in the place, it might come close to that number, though 200-300 sounds a heckuva lot more likely.

I am tempted to close my eyes, remember who I saw around and start counting.  One two three four....

At any rate, I think that this is an important year for the faire, and despite the suck of gas prices and the economic uncertainty, I am hoping that a lot of people check it out.  It's going to be an exciting year to be there.

Elinor Hakebourne

I'm looking forward to it, no matter what changes happen! Faire is a part of my summer now, and I think my summer would be a little more hollow if it didn't include a visit to Warwickshire :)

Drake Starsong

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on May 16, 2008, 02:46:33 PM
I know to some this may be beating a dead horse, but does anyone close to the faire owners think they might consider
re-vamping the weapons policy, or are they just going to continue as is.   I ask, not so much for this year as it is to soon to opening day but maybe for ensuing years.

I don't think its so much up to the faire as it is a New York State thing with weapons, the state is very strict.

But...I can't wait till SRF season...excited for the new entertainment :D just with the Bad Dawg Tavern was coming back :(
Yo ho Yo ho!

DacianFalx

Have it on good authority that the Bad Dog Tavern is back this year... just thought you should know... :-)
Those who say a certain something cannot be done, shouldn't interrupt those doing it.

Tygrkat

Quote from: DacianFalx on May 21, 2008, 09:46:10 PM
Have it on good authority that the Bad Dog Tavern is back this year... just thought you should know... :-)

'Tis true, we're having our wedding reception there  ;D
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Drake Starsong

Are you sure?

I know its still there but I've been told its only being used for special events - they took it off the website in the list of food vendors.
Yo ho Yo ho!

DacianFalx

I've been told it's back and will be serving food...shan't be able to confirm 'til I see it for myself, but there you are... :-)
Those who say a certain something cannot be done, shouldn't interrupt those doing it.

Drake Starsong

*gasp* This year IS going to be a great year!! HUZZAH! *dances around*

I loved the first year when they had musicians and it was adults only...it had a more authentic feeling to a tavern!
Yo ho Yo ho!

Sir Douglas of Waterbury

The Bad Dog will be open to the public as a tavern with food and special entertainment every day, working around weddings and wine tasting events etc.

Tygrkat

Many Thanks, Sir Douglas, for taking time from the very busy pre-season to share developments with us...I am very much looking forward to seeing what is new this season, and enjoying all my favorite things ....
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

IndeanaSunday

Can I just say for the record that regardless of whatever reputation he has, it's pretty impressive of Sir Douglas to actually pop in on the boards. It's even more impressive that he actually writes replies. Huzzah to that!

skivee

We Pyrates Royale are pleased to be returning this year for Pirate Weekend. Not a major change per se, but we have enjoyed our past visits, and are looking forward to our all too brief return.

Lord Finger

Thanks, skivee, I'm certainly ready to raise my mug in some good pirate revelry. Looking forward to seeing you there!

MMario

Huzzah for the Pyrates!  Maybe this year I can arrange to SEE a show!