News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Beginner Archery

Started by Tammy, January 27, 2009, 07:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeduffey

For more information, you can also post your questions at
http://TheBowyersDen.com - the forum was erased by the free providers in February, but the resolute members are working hard to rebuild since this months new installation, and they are glad for new questions.

You might also be interested in gear available at http://bowstick.com
They have a sale for the rest of April.

Robert eben Hope

Quote from: jeduffey on April 19, 2009, 07:45:31 AM
For more information, you can also post your questions at
http://TheBowyersDen.com - the forum was erased by the free providers in February, but the resolute members are working hard to rebuild since this months new installation, and they are glad for new questions.

You might also be interested in gear available at http://bowstick.com
They have a sale for the rest of April.

:o Wow those prices are pretty steep. If you are just getting into archery I would reccomend working with the fine folks at Siege Work Creations. I bought my first bow from them a little over a month a go and I love it. A great price for a beginner, combined with great people that are willing to work with you and point you in the right direction. Their prices on bows and arrows can not be beat. I just ordered my second bow from them...and already thinking of getting a third...check them out and see for yourselves.

http://siegeworkcreations.com/

Bowsmith

You could always use a flatbow, shorter but wider than the longbow.

I'm a bowmaker myself, formally a blademsmith, who got into bows as a way to be creative and continue to work with my hands after I was unable to make blades anymore.

I'm also a big medieval archery fan, tho a novice.  (Curse you, S.M. Stirling!! :D )

I make all my bows out of red oak, by hand, sans power tools.  They come out looking a bit rougher than the big production models, but are just as effective.  Without backing the max draw is around 45#, which is still sufficient for light hunting duties.

Here's some of my work.

A flatbow named "Twisted Sister".  A 66" long Flatbow, 37# draw @28"  She's also for sale. $110.

An English Longbow....nicknamed "Scarface".  45#@28"

And a LOTR styled bow I made for my neighbors 8 year old son's birthday....

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
Bowyer

uncletimcobleigh

Beautiful work, Bowsmith!

Bowsmith

Thanks!

I'm working on one design now thats heavily fantasy/ren inspired called the "DragonFire Bow".

I'll post some pics whenI get it done.
Bowyer

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

I also am 5'4" and pull about 35 - 40 lbs.  I would really like to have a longbow w/shelf to use especially for the Loch Norman Highland Games next spring for about $50 would be great for my budge too!  I took archery as a Phys Ed class in college and only get to shoot at Faires and sometimes there set-ups are rather awful!  VARF has the best opportunity I have found yet!
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Cormac

While it does not have a shelf cut in woodbows.com has pretty good deals.  I have shot one of their longbows for going on 4 years now and other than starting to develop string follow it has performed very nicely.  I have now purchased a bow for my daughter and added a shelf.  To add a shelf I re wrapped the handle and added a leather wedge on the appropriate side of the bow.  Cost of bow, leather, and wedge was about $45.  Siegeworks was also recommended by a friend that purchased a bow and set of arrows for his son.

Get a bow and shoot lots! 

Chris B

Quote from: Bowsmith on July 05, 2009, 02:33:29 PM
You could always use a flatbow, shorter but wider than the longbow.

I'm a bowmaker myself, formally a blademsmith, who got into bows as a way to be creative and continue to work with my hands after I was unable to make blades anymore.

I'm also a big medieval archery fan, tho a novice.  (Curse you, S.M. Stirling!! :D )

I make all my bows out of red oak, by hand, sans power tools.  They come out looking a bit rougher than the big production models, but are just as effective.  Without backing the max draw is around 45#, which is still sufficient for light hunting duties.

Here's some of my work.

A flatbow named "Twisted Sister".  A 66" long Flatbow, 37# draw @28"  She's also for sale. $110.

An English Longbow....nicknamed "Scarface".  45#@28"

And a LOTR styled bow I made for my neighbors 8 year old son's birthday....

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Is that you Patrick?

Bowsmith

Sorry, but I'm no patrick.
Bowyer

Cormac

Bowsmith

Do you build recurves also?

DarkLord

Well it's a little off topic but I rarely get a chance to post pictures of my Horned Bow Pestilence made for me by bowstick.com at the top of the page.  So here's a couple.

Okay.  Sorry for the detour.  I don't see too many bow threads!
Bringer of Doom and Pestilence

Chris B

Quote from: Bowsmith on July 29, 2009, 03:11:35 PM
Sorry, but I'm no patrick.

No Problem.  My mistake.  You look a lot like someone who has posted on My Armoury and other historical sites a lot over the years.

Chris B

Dark Lord,

Now that is an awesome looking bow.  What is it's draw weight?  Is it a composite bow or made of traditional materials? 

Bowsmith

Quote from: Cormac on July 29, 2009, 05:48:30 PM
Bowsmith

Do you build recurves also?

Funny you should ask.

I made my first one yesterday.  I'm taking pictures of it for a build along I'm doing.

DL, your bow looks like it's made of horn, no?

Tiller seems a bit off, with the lower limb pulling more than the upper.

Whats the draw weight, and how does it shoot?
Bowyer

DarkLord

It draws 37 lbs and is made of three different types of antelope horn.  My memory fails me a bit here but I beleve two are springbok and gemsbok.  It shoots fine but doesn't get the distance of say an SCA longbow.  But for style it can't be beat :)
Bringer of Doom and Pestilence