News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What projects have you done this year?

Started by Squire Mickey, January 28, 2009, 09:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squire Mickey

Well, the time is drawing close for that opening cannon (fidgets with excitement).

So i put to ye this quarry... What garb or faire related projects have ye been toilin' on this past off season?

Fer meself, I been a hard to work on Captain Mickey Flint, Squire Mickey's bastard half brother. He be a Privateer in the employ of H.M Henry the VII against the Scots and the French.

As such I have created:
1. Captains Coat
2. Waist Coat
3. Bell Boots (from CABOOTS - YEAH)
4. 2 Baldrics (made from scratch)
5. Cocked Tricorn (just finished last night)
6. 2 flintlock holsters
7. 3 different sashes (can't decide what I want)
8. new "privateer" style flask
9. refinished my Disney bought double barreled flintlock
10. Finished 2 wooden cutlasses (I hate that I can't bring peace tied weapons into BARF)

Still need to do:
1. Create 3 inch leather belt
2. Figure out the best way to sew in the hair extensions into the head scarf
3. Get 32 pewter buttons and sew them into my coat
4. Make a pair of drop front breeches.
5. Make a document holder and my Letters of Marque

Sea and Salt, I best be haulin' lines and holdin' me wind!

2. Rework one baldrik
Mickey Flint, Esquire
First Mate, The Harbinger
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Princess Christine 2.0

Well I have not started much yet.
This weekend, Im going threw my stuff, Dry cleaning them again.
I lent my costumes out for a play i was in the summer, I know one skirt is Completely ruined. *I only worn it once*
but i have to threw all the stuff and she what needs repairing

I do have a new dress my guardsmen got me for X-mas.
I need a new tiara! I broke mine in the play.

and if i get time im making dad a costume and the guardsmen a new tunic.

Im not bad im just drawn that way!

Auryn

*crossing my fingers that the internet doesnt go out again*

Squire Mickey,
I just spoke with the marketing rep for BARF
weapons are allowed but they must be peace tied and tied to your person in some way so that someone cant take it off of you. Oh and yes metal/steel weapons are allowed- I asked specifically
However that also applies to my bow ( I asked specifically about that too), so I guess I will be working on some sort of holster for my bow.

Thats quite a long list you have been working on.

So far I have finished:
leather vest for milord (hand sewn)
leather belt for milord
wool cloak for milord
pirate shirt and pants for myself
leather cincher for myself

I still have to work on:
new pants for myself
leather bracers for milord
leather spauldron for myself (all from virgin veg tan leather, hand tooled, cut, etc) all I have left to do is one strap and the dye job
A leather quiver
some sort of harness for my bow to be strapped to me
a waterskin
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Squire Mickey

Auryn you may indeed be my new best friend!

That is wonderful news regarding the weapons policy this year!

What you are looking for for your bow be called bowcase. I recently joined a leather working forum and they are a great resource.

Sounds like you are capable with leather work. I will look for a pattern and some pictures of one for you.

Hazzah to the lady of good news!

What weekend are you and your lord attending? I feel sure that a pint on me is in order...
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Caligo

Auryn

Well I sure am happy to be the bearer of good news. Guess its bound to happen when I ask so many questions.

This was my question to her

" Are metal swords ok as long as they are in a scabbard and peace tied??"

her answer:
"Yes the Sword is fine,
All weapons must be tied to you, so they can not be used or removed by someone else. "

Her being
Deb Schaber
Director of Marketing
dschaber@renaissancefest.com

I am including her email in case anyone wants to ask more specific questions. She is terrific, usually replies within 15 minutes if you write during office hours.

My lord and I will be attending opening weekend for the highland games (not sure which day yet, or possibly both)
and then again on st.patty's day weekend as we have a wedding to attend on saturday in clearwater.
(and we get buy one get one free admission thanks to the "celebration of cities"

I sincerely hope to be able to meet you.

Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Anna Iram

Yay! Weapons are allowed again!

There's nothing like the swagger of a well and fully armed man.    :D

Anna Iram

I never answered your question Mickey.  :D

Nothing new for me. I made a few new things when I went to MIRF this summer, and they'll hane to do!

I'm curious about your three sashes. What's the deleima? Color?

Sir LJ

Quote from: Auryn on January 28, 2009, 05:20:49 PM
Well I sure am happy to be the bearer of good news. Guess its bound to happen when I ask so many questions.

This was my question to her

" Are metal swords ok as long as they are in a scabbard and peace tied??"

her answer:
"Yes the Sword is fine,
All weapons must be tied to you, so they can not be used or removed by someone else. "

Her being
Deb Schaber
Director of Marketing
dschaber@renaissancefest.com

I am including her email in case anyone wants to ask more specific questions. She is terrific, usually replies within 15 minutes if you write during office hours.

My lord and I will be attending opening weekend for the highland games (not sure which day yet, or possibly both)
and then again on st.patty's day weekend as we have a wedding to attend on saturday in clearwater.
(and we get buy one get one free admission thanks to the "celebration of cities"

I sincerely hope to be able to meet you.

Well you just made my day! Finally, I get to look the part even more!
Semper Fi,

Sir LJ

The Red Horseman / Marine'n M'Crack

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Anna Iram on January 28, 2009, 08:38:32 PM
I never answered your question Mickey.  :D

Nothing new for me. I made a few new things when I went to MIRF this summer, and they'll hane to do!

I'm curious about your three sashes. What's the deleima? Color?

Still trying to round out the persona...

I just had a fitting on my SECOND coat yesterday. But mostly the color and texture. I made one that I wore to the Pirate Festival in St. Pete, but it was too wide, so now I have two of those (as I split it in half) so technically I have 4 new sashes. Anyone need one?

I also reworked my tricorn hat last night and finally got it to a shape that I can live with. For the record, shaping those things is an art! I am clearly not a very good artist (yet).

I am trying to see if I can get up to Gainesville this weekend to give it all a try. And Lord Jarhead, they allow steel there too!
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Sir LJ

Mickey,

I snuck into Hoggtown last weekend on Sunday. Nice little fair. Had a great time but I did not bring any steel.Of course i did not check before I left either, silly Jarhead!
Semper Fi,

Sir LJ

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Lord Jarhead on January 29, 2009, 11:58:24 AM
Mickey,

I snuck into Hoggtown last weekend on Sunday. Nice little fair. Had a great time but I did not bring any steel.Of course i did not check before I left either, silly Jarhead!

So you would recommend the trip? How long did it take you to get there? Is it much smaller than BARF? Good "scenery"?
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Sir LJ

Quote from: Squire Mickey on January 29, 2009, 12:43:32 PM
Mickey,

So you would recommend the trip? How long did it take you to get there? Is it much smaller than BARF? Good "scenery"?

I had to drive in from work in Hudson. Took me about 1.5 hours to get to the hotel which was about 15 minutes from fair. Yeah that info is not real good for your drive time from Tampa. Figure on the long side 2 hours to get there but it should be less than that.

To me it is a one dayer fair. Smaller then BARF, yes! I would still recommend it.

Scenery? Dude it's a college town. I am certain my neck problems might just stem from Hoggtown Whiplash!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Plus, I had a hottie with me for the most part all day, so selected timing on the Hoggtown Whiplash was in The Plan of the Day!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Semper Fi,

Sir LJ

Celtic_Fae

I'd second the recommendation. I found that there was a lot more cast interaction at Hoggetowne, and that everyone was a lot friendlier. There is a good variety of entertainment, vendors, and food to choose from. Yes, it is smaller than BARF, and not much shade, but it is quickly becoming my favorite FL faire with everything that is going on with BARF.

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Lord Jarhead on January 29, 2009, 02:21:37 PM
Mickey,

I had to drive in from work in Hudson. Took me about 1.5 hours to get to the hotel which was about 15 minutes from fair. Yeah that info is not real good for your drive time from Tampa. Figure on the long side 2 hours to get there but it should be less than that.

To me it is a one dayer fair. Smaller then BARF, yes! I would still recommend it.

Scenery? Dude it's a college town. I am certain my neck problems might just stem from Hoggtown Whiplash!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Plus, I had a hottie with me for the most part all day, so selected timing on the Hoggtown Whiplash was in The Plan of the Day!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

VERY nice Lord Jarhead! I just spit coffee all over the desk when I read that. TOO funny. I think that I am going, but will be bringing me wee crew with me as well. I am looking to enlist me mate and his we one as well. Have found the use of a lookout in the crows nest saves ones neck, and that be truth sure told.

My trek should even be shorter than yers from Hudson, as I am nearly as far north and further east. Figuring less than an hour and a half each way.

And thank ye Fae. Am truly lookin forward to see ye fair face again soon. Might ye be a comin' out this weekend?
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Celtic_Fae

We'll be there. Not only is it our new home faire, but it is also one of the nicest in the area. As far as new projects, I haven't worked on any myself, but I gave my persona an overhaul into court garb.

Sir LJ

Quote from: Kathryn (Fae) Weldon on January 29, 2009, 08:31:42 PM
We'll be there. Not only is it our new home faire, but it is also one of the nicest in the area. As far as new projects, I haven't worked on any myself, but I gave my persona an overhaul into court garb.

The Garb I saw you in the weekend was part of my Hoggtown Whiplash! You looked absolutely stunning! My chiropractor id sending you the bill!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Semper Fi,

Sir LJ

Squire Mickey

Most excellent. I just got confirmation that Capatain Mickey Flint will also be in attendance. My knave half brother and sea dog privateer.

In my new persona, I will look foreward to seeing you looking most courtly Fae
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Celtic_Fae

Quote from: Lord Jarhead on January 29, 2009, 09:25:02 PM

The Garb I saw you in the weekend was part of my Hoggtown Whiplash! You looked absolutely stunning! My chiropractor id sending you the bill!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You seemed to be getting pretty cozy with Lucy, too! LOL! I'll get those photos up as soon as I get my PC back in working order. Right now, I'm on my Mac Laptop and don't have high-tech photo capabilities (well, I'm sure I do, but I don't know how to work them yet).

Squire Mickey

Well, I finished my black tricorn hat, and I am working on a brown up style hat now.

I finished the prototype for my Letter of Marque, but it still needs a bit of work and then to make the final one. Hand stitching leather is a bit of a b*&^%ch.

Still need new britches, but I think that might have to wait, or be purchased. I am running out of steam...
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Seamus Ex Machina

Mickey,

For the record, Mickey, BARF if the largest faire in FL, so everything else is, well, you get the idea...It's 2 hours north of Tampa in Gainesville.  And owing to the proximity of the University of Florida, the "scenery" was gorgeous........ ;D
Legendary Hellraiser

Squire Mickey

Finished my brown buccaneer style hat last night. I also made a black tooled leather hat band for it as well. I hope to break it out this weekend...
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Taffy Saltwater

Quote from: Squire Mickey on January 28, 2009, 09:10:04 AM

Don't fergit - ye be getting your Letter of Marque from the Royal Order of Landsharks as soon as I can get into drydock!  Phins UP!
Sveethot!

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on February 26, 2009, 10:19:54 AM
Quote from: Squire Mickey on January 28, 2009, 09:10:04 AM

Don't fergit - ye be getting your Letter of Marque from the Royal Order of Landsharks as soon as I can get into drydock!  Phins UP!

I be lookin' forward to it and proudly flyin' the colors!
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Squire Mickey

Finished me new belt last night as well...

Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

nobodyspecial

im currently working on a chainmail belt for me , and a chainmail with scales cod piece for a friend