News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Discussion of Mudbeggar and Maiden

Started by Tremayne, January 28, 2009, 10:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alphonse

Indeed, writing as a group can be that way, I did not mean to step on your plotline and apologize if it seemed that way. I was seeing a differant possibility and should have shared something about my thoughts on that much sooner. I liked what was written about the budding friendship of Walter and Serafina. When Walter was forced to leave I wrote something to the effect that he promiced to come back. Perhaps we can develop the story in that direction? Rather then a fight, granted a highly stylized one perhaps we can explore the adventures of the Prince as he and his friend explore the ins and outs of their culture while coming of age?

And while I am thinking about it, not all jailer are cruel, unwashed thugs. Some of us can be quite charming when we put our mind to it ;D I know I used to be one myself. Martin Montgomery I believe is still at.Who knows perhaps it is because of that to some degree why I prefer to write of adventure rather the fighting?

Blackbead

Well, Alphonse, I have to admit I was a little put out by someone coming along and building a road across my "Appian Way" but I completely understand your point of view.  I can also see that this is going to be a tremendous amount of fun from this point forward!   ;)
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

DonaCatalina

With this type of writing I limit myself to vignettes, instead of writing towards some far off conclusion.
We all have different perceptions of these people and what they might do under various circumstances. The unpredictability of it is one element that makes it fun.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Blackbead

I see what you mean about this type of writing, Dona Catalina, but I still believe that in order to make it a true tale there must be some plot.  I agree that plots have twists and turns but there is till an overall path that a tale follows or it quickly loses a reader's interest.  Tales go from vignette to vignette to vignette with a build-up, some conflict, a climax, and a denouemont.  If Bilbo and company had simply wandered from scene to scene without a purpose to their travels, who would have cared where they were going?  On the other hand, I understand where Alphonse is coming from - it's just not the type of thing that I write.  I prefer tales with action and conflict and a thread that the reader is impelled to follow by the very nature of the story.  I propose that I continue to contribute for a couple of more weeks but, if I am writing in a style or a way that doesn't fit in with what everyone else wants, then someone just let me know and I'll bow out without any hard feelings.  Till I go, however, I promise to make the story as compelling and as harrowing as I can!

Blackbead
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

Tremayne

I hope we can all continue to write together. We have certainly been at a disadvantage when the person who initiated this story provided only the sketchiest of beginnings and then disappeared. Obviously the title leads one to believe there will be romance, or that at the least there will be interaction between people of two sexes who might not hit it off initially. Alphonse has suggested a subplot of the King testing his sons. Maybe it would be good to decide at this point whether we want to focus on palace folks and bring the peasants into their sphere or focus on peasants and bring the royalty into their sphere (or out of the palace anyway). (My preference is to move away from the palace and into the fields, farms and forests but I'm flexible).

I can see that Alphonse's decree by the king fits in with what I said initially about the King working hard to keep a peaceful, nonviolent realm. I haven't given up on the notion of having a joust, though, and even having Walter participate (even if with a far from sparkling performance). I've emailed with Alphonse and Alfred is going to meet his maker (he's due to pass on anyway) because with someone like that on his tail it will be hard for Walter to get on with life and learn from creating both mistakes and victories of his own.

And Alphonse, Dona Catalina was giving the description from a prisoner's point of view. Perhaps you would have been shocked to learn what your prisoners thought your nose resembled.  :D  And perhaps the reason you're disinclined to fighting these days is because you engaged in more than your fair share in your youth.  ;)

I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw. --Shakespeare via Hamlet.

Blackbead

As we say farewell to one of our members, shall we continue with the story as m'Lady and I have written . . . ?

DonaCatalina

Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Blackbead

Yes, yes!  And I apologize; I had written that piece late last night and wasn't able to get it in on time.  If you'd like me to withdraw it, I'll do so and wait my turn till next week.  I tweeked it a bit to get it to fit so maybe it would be better for me to pull it.  Let me know what you two think.

DonaCatalina

Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Alphonse

I had already began making plans about how I would write about Walter at Alfred's funeral, but I see that is not to be. Likely for the best as well, I am sure it would not be as interesting as the adventure that lies ahead. The only reason that I mentioned that,was to let everyone know that writting this way requires a good bit of give and take. I too can give up an idea for a story tangent as well as anyone else can  ;D I say, write on and let us see where the road will lead us...

Blackbead

Well said, Alphonse!  So, since it looks like it is just going to be us three . . . I believe that makes it your turn, Alphonse.

Alphonse

Dragons? interesting development. I have been writing about them in another story for some time, where do you see this going? A major development or a passing fancy? How much magic are you interested in having in the story?

DonaCatalina

A dragon? I must admit that phantasmagoria are not really my forte.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Blackbead

I am obviously not very good at this writing in a group environment.  I seem to be 1 for 4 in my attempts.  Maybe it's a sign.  I started into this endeavor as a way of having some fun but I'm afraid that I just don't do well with this way of producing a story.  Obviously, my last scene fell into a genre that is unsatisfying and, it appears, offensive to m'Lady.  I think it would be best for me to follow in Tremayne's footsteps and withdraw.  I'll take out the last scene I did so you two can take the story where you wish.  Best of luck in your writing and in all things!

DonaCatalina

I'm sorry that you took my comment that strongly. It was not meant as a suggestion that you withdraw.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess