News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Simplicity 3782

Started by Zoot, January 29, 2009, 08:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoot

http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=section/histCostume/historyCos_ElizaRen.html

I remember this pattern being discussed on the old forum, but haven't seen it here yet.

I'm considering making this gown and was wondering if anybody here has made it, and what was your experience with it?  If you stuck pretty much to the pattern as is, what underpinnings did you use?

I'm not looking for historically accurate, just something that goes together reasonably well and gives a decent end result with the overall "feel". 

Thanks so much!

Taffy Saltwater

Per http://www.reddawn.net/costume/simplic.htm

Misses Renaissance Costumes. Elizabethan dress and skirt in two variations, bumroll. Shaped sleeves, sectioned shoulder rolls, and an adjustable bodice strap. Somebody has actually looked at current costume research and paid attention. Definitely buy this one. Buy two, it's worth it. 2007.
Sveethot!

Auryn

I have this pattern also
and would love to know opinions too.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Zoot

Thank you for the link Taffy.

And yes, I remember the pattern being discussed here quite extensively when it first came out.  I promptly bought it, and of course now I can't remember what everybody said.  I seem to remember the overall opinion was positive, and that many people made various changes...

but seeing that my brain is like a seive, I'd be grateful for any details and experiences that could be shared!

Margaret

I have this pattern and over all liked it.

I did not make it *exactly* as the directions called for, but both the bodice version and the doublet version worked out well.

The collar on the doublet is a little tricky to work with to lay right and the straps of the bodice are so thin they end up disappearing under the shoulder treatment, but other than that I was happy with it.

Oh, I wear both with a corset, hoop and bumroll.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

LaurenLee

I just made the doublet-style dress... I love it.  I found out the angle of the skirt front didn't dip enough, so the front opening at the top is a little wonky, but I worked with it..otherwise, it was a very easy pattern.  There is a pic of it in the Gallery of Finished Projects,  posted just last week.  I even made it in maroon and gold (just a coincidence)...

Casche

I made it last year, and I really liked the skirts patterns for someone who had never made more than a simple elastic band peasant skirt.  I haven't used the doublet pattern, but I didn't really like the bodice pattern, I had to do lots and lots of futzing to get it right, and I still don't like it and have completely retired the bodice after just one faire season.  But part of that is do to my own errors and an odd torso that doesn't like to stay in one shape heh.  Otherwise, I thought it was a very easy for a first time noble gown.

gem

No advice on this pattern, but I did want wave wildly to Zoot!  It's great to see you here again--how have you been?  I've been thinking about you lately (there's a woman on the PatternReview forums whose avatar reminds me of you).

Zoot

Aww Gem, you really are very kind and sweet.  You're a real asset to this forum, always very helpful and kind to everybody!  I've been well, thank you, and hope you have been well also.  We moved over last summer, then had a string of houseguests, including MIL from England, that then led into Halloween and my family coming to visit for Thanksgiving.  In between, I've been sewing for Halloween and my beloved vintage clothing!

I'm actually quite active on PR.  It's a great site and a wealth of information.  I'm Kellie R over there... so maybe it was actually me that reminds you of me!  lol

LaurenLee, your gown is beautiful!  It's good to hear that this pattern is a good for somebody who hasn't made such a gown yet, like myself.  I've always been a bit intimidated, but having just finished a large "Victorian" project (it was supposed to be for Halloween), I'm more confident that I can handle a large project.

Thanks everybody for your advice.  I was speaking with my girlfriend last night about Bristol.  We're hoping to meet up.  She had a blast the last two times she went and can't believe that I've not yet made a big project to wear and attend.   SO, I'm all jazzed up and pulled out all of my patterns last night.   My eye really kept going back to this one.

Now I need to figure out the fabrics.  I'd love to use a deep blue with an eye catching rust/orange contrast.  But you know how it is, when you see the right fabrics pop, you know it!

Marietta Graziella

I also went out and bought this pattern after all the positive reviews from the old board.  Haven't made it yet, though.

As a side note, JoAnn's (at least in MN) has their Simplicity patterns on sale for $1.99.   It seems their selection has decreased dramatically.  Of all the patterns (strictly costuming) I looked at, I didn't find anything new to buy.  It seems they have stagnated.  I probably should've looked at the clothing and tried my hand at something different.  Oh well.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

LadyShadow

I am glad to see this post.  I was bored looking on the Simplicity website and bought this pattern because it looked nice.  And I have good success with sewing Simplicity things.  So I am glad to know that this one has good comments on it.  Now just to save a few extra dollars so I can start getting material.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

CapnFayeCutler

I've used this pattern before, more than once. I haven't used the doublet bodice pattern but the other The shoulder straps do tend to disappear when you add on the shoulder rolls in the pattern. My main issue I had with it is fitting. The pattern tends to run big, and I've seen this issue with other people as well. But hey, a smaller size! ;)

Overall I like this pattern, and I have several of them in both size sets so I can use/teach other people who want to make a gown. Before I got my Margo patterns, this was a good go-to and it's not too hard to tweek if need be! :)
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Alisoun

I made gown A for last season, and it was my first attempt at any gown.  The directions weren't difficult until I started to skip bits and pieces that didn't fit the vision I had for my gown.  I left out the sleeves so that I could mix and match later.  I played with the idea of making the forepart detachable, but time was running short so it's in one piece...for now.  I agree with CapnFaye about the shoulder rolls, and I will probably remove them before the coming season.  I also had to shorten the straps a good two inches because of gaping in the front. 

Under the dress, I wore a hip length chemise, a farthingale (from the Shakespeare In Love pattern), and a tabbed corset.  I did not wear a bum roll.  Since I was able to work around the pattern so easily, I think it was a great buy. 
"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." --William James

Lady Marielle of Andorra

I'm glad to hear all the feedback on this pattern. I bought it last year, but haven't attempted it yet due to my amateur abilities.  :) I agree with comments about the lack of good commercial Ren patterns like Simplicity. I notice a decrease with the other pattern companies as well. I was a busy little bee building up a nice little stockpile of out-of-print Tudor and Ren patterns from e-bay last summer and made some excellent buys with some very hard-to-find items, but even this source seems to have dried up a great deal lately. Occasionally, though, you can still get a good deal, and all the merchants I've dealt with have been very dependable.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what patterns are good to work with apart from the usual Simplicity/Butterick/McCall's? I actually found a cute fantasy/Ren type pattern in Vogue's Blouse section that looks like it would be fun for Faire, even if it's not historically accurate. I appreciate any input about where else I could look for ideas. Thanks for taking time to read my post.

Cilean

Quote from: Zoot on January 29, 2009, 08:10:57 AM
I'm considering making this gown and was wondering if anybody here has made it, and what was your experience with it?  If you stuck pretty much to the pattern as is, what underpinnings did you use?  I'm not looking for historically accurate, just something that goes together reasonably well and gives a decent end result with the overall "feel". 

I have not seen anyone address the underpinnings, and if you want an 'overall look' then you do need to have a good PoB and Farthingales and the last of the simplicity patterns if you have it will give you a pretty good PoB or Corset and Farthingale and Bum roll.

This will give you the best underneath to make the gown and kirtle work.

I hope this helps
Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail