News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Organizing your stash.

Started by DonaCatalina, May 15, 2008, 01:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

For my patterns I use empty copier paper boxes. The width of the patterns stored in 1 gallon zip-loc bags seem to work well with this.

Ideally I have men's patterns in one box and women's patterns in another. Unfortunately, I'm working on my third box.

My fabric that is not 'in process' is stored in big plastic tubs with lids. I am down to six of those at the moment.

Beads, findings, buttons etc, are in clear plastic tubs that used to hold lunch meat.  :) They are up on a wall shelf.

How do you organize your stash?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Ann of Draycott

I'm just getting started so I don't have very much stuff accumulated yet.  ;) 

But, the patterns I do have I keep in a pretty cardboard storage box that I found at Hobby Lobby. 

Material is in a drawer in my sewing room, except for the huge bolt of fabric that I got a couple weeks ago...dragged that out to the storage building.  ::) 

Beads, trims and other misc stuff is stored in plastic storage containers.  For beads and such I have one of those old Tupperware containers with the divided trays in it.  Works great!  ;D

Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

Hoowil

One of my aunts has probably the best storage system I've seen. She keeps everything in numbered bins. Each and every peice of fabric and trim has a swatch stapled to an index card, which lists what the fabric is, and how much was originally purchased, how much has been used, and where it was purchased. Each card also has the bin number the fabric is in. Index files are sorted into fabrics and trims. She was talking about splitting the fabric files into weight as well.
When working on a project, you pull the cards to match swatches for color, and can know exactly how much is on hand. Then you go by the number, and pull down only the bins you need.

My mother used to work at a fabric store, so whenever stores were closed, moved or remodled, we could usually get ahold of the commercial pattern cabinets. Only my mom ever filled one of them, and the things were heavy beasts, but for the purpose, you couldn't beat 'em. Granted, I don't have the need or space for one now.

My stach currently is not nearly so organized. I have a little wooden chest thats just the right size to store patterns, in the gallonm ziplocks, stood on end. Fabric is stuffed into two bins, except for scattered bags that were stuff for projects that didn't get started. Somewhere, bundles up in a few trash bags hidden away in the storage area is a bolt of upolstry velvet.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Athena

I've got a plastic tub of that's full of fabric, and need to get another one because I have bags of fabric everywhere. Blast those sales at JoAnn!

I keep my patterns in a large tote bag that went out of commission ages ago, and store ribbon and trims in a small box.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

mellingera

Trims ribbons and decor are in a rubbermaid shoebox size container, it is about to burst at any moment...
Grommeting supplies, fabric glue, hole punches, etc in another of the same.
Fabric is in bags in a giant pile in the corner, currently takes up almost 1/4 of the room, I do plan to buy totes to store it in, but I keep spending the $ on fabric... Scrap fabric (personal motto: no piece is too small!) is in yet another corner...
Patterns are currently in an poly accordion folder thing, although it is almost bursting too...

FaireMare

Here is yet another infomative thread that will be a classic.  Great Job Dona!

Lady L

Like Hoowil, I got a nice metal, commercial pattern cabinet (McCall's) when  a  local fabric store went out of business. It's perfect and yes, I have it full. ;D
I love plastic tote boxes! I keep my fabric in them now. I only wish I had that to use years ago. I still keep my scraps in cardboard boxes. I have no idea how many of those I have full. I have emptied one this year, though, by sewing up the fabric it contained. I like the shallow plastic totes, to store my "work in progress". It helps keep the pattern pieces, cut out fabric, thread and notions all together, should I need to shuffle it from one room to another. (or until I get back to that project)
I store large spools of thread in a shoebox size plastic tote. I have a cardboard box that I keep my trims/bias tape/elastic in. Yeah, I could organize that better.
Beads I have in another shoebox size plastic tote.
Grommets I have in a cool whip container.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Kate XXXXXX

My patterns are in pattern-sized resealable bags, filed in 12 plastic stacking crates, and organized by type for the more modern ones (things like Historic Costumes, Weddings, Large Format Vogues, Children's, etc. and by date for the archived 50's-70's patterns.  Most of the crates are full, so there's an overspill of shoe boxes full of jumbled patterns!  (Damn! Need more boxes... )

The fabric is in flap-top plastic stacking crates with labels on the end.  Each box contains a particular type of fabric (like 'Short wool lengths', 'Kate's Brown Stuff', 'Suiting Lengths' and so forth).  Each box has an inventory on the top of the fabric.  There are over 40 boxes of fabric and nearly 60 boxes of stash altogether...  Trims and thread stay in the sewing room, but are bursting out of THEIR boxes too!

However hard I try, I never seem to get through any volume of stash.  I think it breeds when I take a bit out of a box to make some space/garment!

Lady Grape

Awesome!!!!!  Thank you Dona for starting this.

My mess although i'm trying to organize it, just doesn't seem like it's very organized when I go to find something.

Patterns are in pattern boxes - bursting (need more boxes or less patterns)
Fabric is in large plastic totes, and the scraps in a large plastic bag
Odds and Ends are sorted into smaller plastic bins.

Ok maybe it's just me.....LOL
Be the change you want to see.

operafantomet

I bought tons of white boxes ("Kassett") from IKEA, They are firm and have metal edging, as well as room for a name tag/description. They are also very decorative, and comes in different colours, and has made my previous unsorted, messy stash into a museum quality storing!  :D

I bought big boxes for my grand dresses, and for sorting fabrics: http://www.ikea.com/no/no/catalog/products/00115497
Smaller ones for my smaller dresses: http://www.ikea.com/no/no/catalog/products/00115478
And petite ones for trims etc, sorted by colour: http://www.ikea.com/no/no/catalog/products/00115464

The small ones are placed on top of my kitchen shelves, as seen here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/venetian/vennew4.jpg

The big ones are in the background here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/regency/reggeo1.jpg

Highly recommended for those who have limited wardrobe space!

Kate XXXXXX

Those are so smart, but would be wasted in my loft, and I don't have space anywhere else for much of the stash.  I use sets of Ikea basket drawers in the sewing room for things needed often and tools (I love the drawer inserts!).  I have the 'desk tops' on them to give added work surface for sewing larger objects, like this:

I have 3 sets of those drawers in the sewing room, plus another similar set of a different make, and 2 taller sets with big plastic tub drawers in my bedroom for towels and linen.  There's another set in the kitchen for stuff like table cloths and kitchen towels...  Ikea does some brilliant storage!  I use these for things like labels and needles and other small stuff: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80098583

LaurenLee

I have plastic bins, one for scraps, one for lining materials, and others for actual planned outfits - I try to put everything I'll need for a dress in one bin - lining, innerlining, fashion fabric, underskirt fabric, forepart and sleeves, partlet, TRIM, etc... if I don't do this, I'll forget and use it for something else, then kick myself when it comes time to make that dress!  Patterns go in a box I found that is exactly their size, standing upright, so I can easily flip through them.

Trim, buttons, beads,notions are all in fishing/craft/shoe-type divided plastic boxes, and stored in a 3-drawer sliding cart which I use as a lamp table in the sewing room (which happens to be the spare bedroom, God forbid I ever actually have an overnight guest), and on the shelves in that closet. 

Lauren

LadyOren

Plastic tubs for trims and laces.  For my beads, buttons, eyelets and small things I use a Tool bin from the hardware store, it has lots of perfect sized little drawers.  Fabric is stored in a monster cabinet in my shoe shop that was with the house when we bought it, it's in tubs, stacked on top of tubs.
I'd love to revamp that cabinet and someday will but right now neither have the time or patience to do such a task.
For spools of thread I have a wall board with pegs in it that the sit on and little bobbin holders that go into the spool of thread for keeping matching sets together, I also make use of Spice racks from yard sales to store spools of thread that I use the most on for quick grabbing.  Spice racks are great for storing small things too, I have one that has my machine oil on it with the necessary box of screw drivers, various machine feet, containers of machine needles and thimbles stacked up.
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman

Marietta Graziella

This is such perfect timing for this thread!  My current sewing space is down stairs in the unfinished basement.  My "room" is noted by the sharpie marker walls drawn on the floor.  ::)   Currently my fabric is all folded and piled according to weight and fabric content onto vented, open shelves shelves.  (metal shelves with small holes as the pattern)   Trims, bias, beads, tools, are all in small, plastic, three drawer containers.  Patterns are overflowing a basket.  Now...

I am trying to design my *sound trumpets please* SEWING ROOM.  I want to be organized, effficient, pleasant to work in, and easily maneuvered around.  My dad built this amazing cutting table for me for Christmas last year.  It is a full 4X8 sheet of plywood sized.  Legs are made to my ideal cutting height.  The top is coverd with a self healing cutting mat and is hinged!  Groovy!  It is separated lengthwise (for stability in pushing on the top for cutting) so I can put long fabrics, patterns, plastic boning, etc, inside and out of the way.  It also has 2 drawers in the front for the good scissors, cutters and a small tool set (dad bought a small set with flowers on 'em!).  There is also a plug in available on one side for doing whatever other crafty projects.  It's wonderful, but huge.  It takes up a lot of space.  So...  I'm tryng to design my space around this cutting table.

For those with dedicated sewing rooms, what do you think of kitchen style cabinets for storing and organizing?   With doors or sliders?  What about counter space?  Upper cupboards?  I'm sort of envisioning this room like a mini kitchen with the cutting table as the "dining table", a desk height counter for computer access, and perhaps a mini fridge.  I'm having the most trouble figuring out where to place my sewing table.  If I use one end and 3/4 of the back wall for the cupboards and the table and ironing board sit at the other end where the closet will be, where do I situate the sewing machine?

Am I overdoing this space, trying to make it too many things?  The space is 10 X 20 with an additional closet for hanging storage.  Your thoughts?

*I just realized that "sewing rooms" may need to be a seprate topic from "stash locations", please move as necessary, FM*
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Lady Anne Clare

Organizing stash??? I'm sure I don't know the meaning of this phrase  ;)

My patterns are in a plastic wire dish rack (might have to upgrade soon though), all organized by pattern number and company name and I have a list typed out for quick reference.  My material and whosit's and whatsit's are a different matter.  I have 3 large rubber maid containers filled with fabric and that doesn't include my current project which is on top of one of the aforementioned containers for easy accessibility. I have 2 little stackable towers that twist off into 6 compartments that I use for the really small things like jump rings and rocaille beads.  Trims, thread, hot glue gun and sticks go in the drawer of my desk and most other notions go in a clear pencil case sort of bag.

Actually that sounds more organized than I thought it was  ;D
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)