News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Potions 101

Started by Queen Bonnie, May 15, 2008, 02:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen Bonnie

Wow! That does sound dangerous! Thanks for reviving this thread! I LOVE potion making! And tasting too!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

LadyElizabeth

Well I'm all about that viscious virgin drink!!  Sounds rockin' good to me!!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Brian Green Knight

Another fine potion from the ancient archives!

Typical Ryan's Rush in a shot glass:
Layer in the following pouring slowly in the sequence listed over the backside of a spoon to get a nice layered effect.
   FIRST:    1/3 oz. Kahlua
   SECOND: 1/3 oz. Bailey's cream
   THIRD:    1/3 oz. white rum

Now here is the manly version of Ryan's Rush. Depending on how you drink this manly version tells everyone what kind of man you really are! ~ i.e. the size of your gonads are inversely proportional to the size of your brains. Women can drink this version as well but usually don't as they have better sense!  ;)

Same ingredients as above poured in the same way but substitute the white rum with Bacardi 151 and light it and stand ready to suck it up with a straw.

~ Large brains and small gonads will wait for the flames to burn out before sucking down the hot mixture.

~ Large gonads and small brains will attempt to suck the drink down while it is still flaming.

BE WARNED! DRINK AT YOUR OWN RISK!
The second method of drinking this version if not done quickly and correctly has the potential to singe your eyebrows, hair, nasal cavity, etc.  :o
Nobody wants him, he just stares at the world. Planning his vengeance, that he will soon unfold. - Iron Man

PurpleDragon

My latest discovery is available in a ready to drink bottle.  BACARDI ZOMZBIE!!!!!!!  Thanks to Mike Pullen who introduced this drink and I at Sherwood Forest Faire.  YUMMY. Open bottle, serve over ice and enjoy.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Queen Bonnie

Zombie! I must try that!
Wingardium Leviosa!

C Dragonworks

I made something I really enjoyed....
1/2 blueberry pomegranite, half champagne

Queen Bonnie

wow! That does sound yummy! Healthy too! Must try that. I have blueberry pomegranate juice. I Love champagne!
Wingardium Leviosa!

Betty Munro

Anyone willing to share a Loki Potion Recipe???  I have looked online and searched forums, no luck ...

robert of armstrong

Here is one, but be advised, few give up loki recipes willingly.

Actually, this isn't true loki, but a bastardized version:

Orange Creamsicle Loki

2 pounds honey (hard, not liquid)
1 26 oz bottle Absolut vanilla
1 26 oz bottle Absolut mandarin

Gently heat the honey until it melts.  Gently, DO NOT BURN.
As you are heating the honey, combine the two bottles of vodka in a large container.
Add the liquified honey, stir.
Seal container, put away for minimum 3-4 weeks to allow to "mellow".
Enjoy at room temp, or over ice if the edge is still too much.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Betty Munro

Quote from: robert of armstrong on January 19, 2010, 03:46:55 AM
... be advised, few give up loki recipes willingly.

I have experienced that.  I just don't understand why not?  I could see if most Loki was for sale, but my experience is that it is mostly shared with friends.  I'd even be willing to sign a non-compete clause that I would not sell Loki, nor even come into their fair with their recipe.  Seems so out of character for Ren Folk.
? Am I wrong about that?

What is hard honey?

robert of armstrong

Loki is considered quite a treat;  it is kind of rare to come across nowadays and a person who has a nice tasting loki gets bragging rights when everyone at the tailgate enjoys it.  Usually, that loki took quite a bit of experimenting and some work and time (not really the case with the above recipe), and the person who put in that time doesn't want someone else taking the credit.  As a result, many guard their recipes.

Hard honey refers to honey that is harder in consistancy, usually sold in a tub or as a brick rather than the pourable kind or that sold in a squeezable container.  Those will work, but the loki doesn't come out quite the same for some reason.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Baroness de Vale

Also, Betty, if you head over to the crafting section there are a couple of threads all about making Loki. In the one thread Magister has listed a link that will help with making Loki

DonaCatalina

I can't remember who told me about this recipe during RenDevous but they called it a
Southern Belle. It sounds a lot like the old Scarlet O'Hara.

1/2 oz. Schnapps, peach
1/2 oz. Southern Comfort
1/2 oz. Gold Rum
1 splash Cranberry Juice
Mixing Instructions
Shake ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into glass.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rani Zemirah

Yummy... now I want to try them ALL!!!  Of course, I might not survive them all, but I could give it a good try!!!  :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

C Dragonworks

I am planning a batch of KILLER Melomel as soon as the fruit is ripe. I am hoping to have strawberries,raspberries,blackberries,peaches and plums to add to the Mix.. We have the honey! If all goes well TRF will be flavorful!

As for Loki...toooooo sweet,YUCK! I have several old recipes for different cordials.... all could become Loki or Revenge! May have to make Revenge this year... if I can remember the favoured one... Any old SCA(Society for Creative Alcoholism) people from TRF will remember that stuff! Cinnamon Apple was one! 

May make the Melomel with half a batch sparkling!