News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Potions 101

Started by Queen Bonnie, May 15, 2008, 02:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapier Half-Wit

Quote from: C Dragonworks on May 04, 2010, 10:04:51 PM
May have to make Revenge this year... if I can remember the favoured one... Any old SCA(Society for Creative Alcoholism) people from TRF will remember that stuff! Cinnamon Apple was one!

I am one of those people from decades gone past, and I do remember Revenge.
If her eyes aren't sparkling, you didn't do it right...

Queen Bonnie

That kind of SCA I LIKE!   Revenge sounds interesting!
Huzzah to melomel! That I want to try!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Drudonn

Chocolate Cake

1/2 shot of Vodka
1/2 shot of frangelico
slice of lemon
sugar

coat the slice of lemon in sugar, and pour the liquor in the shot glass. Lick the sugar off the lemon, but don't swallow yet. Take the shot, swallow, and then bite the lemon. It's supposed to taste like chocolate cake.

I myself haven't gotten it quite right just yet, but I'm willing to do the work necessary   ;D however, I have heard of this from several friends, and they say it's the most bizarre thing in the world.

Rani Zemirah

OMG!!!  I had this at Scarby and it really, honestly DOES have an aftertaste of chocolate cake!!!  I couldn't believe it!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Drudonn

I came across a new one that sounded really interesting.

I was watching a rerun of Anthony Bourdain today, and he was in Uruguay. A local was making a drink called Siete y Tres (Seven and Three). It's seven parts red wine and three parts coca cola. I'm drinking it now and it's....interesting. I can't quite decide if I like it or not. Sometimes it tastes like red wine, and sometimes like coca cola. I used a cabernet sauvignon, but it would be interesting to find out what different reds do to the flavor

Queen Bonnie

Well I like the red wine part!
  Not fond of sweet sodas.
My favorite potion is easy to make. Take a tall glass. Fill with ice cubes. Fill with single malt scotch! It makes me happy!
Wingardium Leviosa!

C Dragonworks

I have not had a chance to make my melomel this year...things have been too hecktic... seems the standard.
I love blended potions... one I redid to suite  was the Grasshopper

I use

Mint Choc ice cream(in place of the cream)2-2 1/2 scoops
1 oz cream de menthe
1 oz cream de cacoa
1/2 oz good vodka
handful of ice

blend well this serves 2 easily!  I call it a spotted Grasshopper

Another is Berry ice

4oz vodka
bag of froz berry mix(good sized bag)
ice
ginger ale

blend ice,vodka and berrys add ginger ale until it is a nice mushy slushy! serves 3-4

midnightferret

Sooo, I'm doing one of those bad bump things where you bump a thread that's ancient.

What happened to the scurvy cat?

It's Bob Marley's Birthday tomorrow, so it's an emergency!

Queen Bonnie

Glad you gave it a bump! I think all these threads need bumping!
Alas! I have not had a Scurvy cat in ages! Twas Grog that wrote down the ingredients!I remember it was good and lethal-  Huzzah for Bob Marley's birthday! Lets celebrate! Pass the Jamacian rum , Mon!
Wingardium Leviosa!

midnightferret

Well, hmm, I remember the day the pool guy came, we had been drinking scurvy cats in the twilight (sounds poetic, don't it?).

They had, uh, rum and Paula's TX orange in them, I think, and some orange juice. Emphasis on "some." :D

I decided we will have dark rum and Jamaican ginger beer cocktails. The ginger beer is infused with orange nectar.

Queen Bonnie

I think Meyers rum ,golden rum, Paulas TX orange and a dash of OJ- was there coconut rum too? That should be about right. They were tasty.I wrote it down somewhere?
Your drinks sound good too! We used to like Rum and Ting- grapefruit soda from Jamaica. You can get it in Central Mkt!
Wingardium Leviosa!

DonaCatalina

We need a Thanksgiving / Celtic Christmas themed potion.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Queen Bonnie

How about Scotch on the rocks with a sprig of holly? LOL!
Wingardium Leviosa!

Merlin the Elder

For the holiday season, I put a bow on my Jack Daniel's bottle.

Other than that, I do enjoy a nice hot buttered rum as I sit by the fireplace. Teach would enjoy that, I'm sure!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

DonaCatalina

I always wondered how you actually made hot buttered rum.
For some reason it makes me think of hot Dr. Pepper.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess