News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Exceutioners Tools

Started by Brother Gregory, February 11, 2009, 03:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Gregory

Does anyone know where I can find an Executioner's axe, and other weapons of his trade. Our faire is set in the Elizabethan Era from 1400 to 1600.

BLAKDUKE

Some execution(Anne Bolyen) were done with a Flemmish sword.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

ALS

There is a mixed tradition for beheading, of axes and swords. Initially there was not a purpose specific implement for either, just the axe of sword to hand being sufficient. Over time specific types of axe and sword came to be used although by the 16th century the sword was in definite ascendency. Beheading swords of this time were broad bladed with no point ( no need for one), of straignt cruciform hilt type and the blades usually carried religious intonations relating directly to the job they were for. The tradition of beheading by sword was especially popular in Germany and continued into the 18th century. There no one that i'm aware of in todays market making anything like a beheading sword so that would be a custom commision. Any axe with a broad heavy blade will pass as far as the publics concerned, they really won't know the difference, most of thier " knowledge " being taken from movies which is a piss poor source for historical fact. You can probably find an old broad axe ( used for working felled tree trunks, they have large broad blades which are flat on one face) at a barn sale for a good price that will have that old, used hand made look to it that might work well for the portrayal.

robert of armstrong

I have a bearded axe similar to the one referred to above.  That would work as an "Executioner's Axe" only I suggest that the wooden shaft be replace with a longer one.  That axe is meant for field combat, and it's shaft looks rather short.

An Executioner did not have to worry about his target moving from side to side or dodging away, but did require a certain amount of power to make the kill clean with a single blow.  A longer shaft on the axe made for a faster head speed, and therefore a blow that had more energy making a clean beheading more likely.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

jcbanner

going off what you said about a longer handle, I think all the illustrations I've seen of executioners pictured with an axe, the axe stands as tall as they do.