News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wishful Thinking- Faire in Memphis, TN

Started by Dinobabe, January 29, 2009, 01:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinobabe

I always thought it would be cool to have a faire in Memphis, TN, even if it was just one weekend.  Has anyone ever put together a one weekend faire?  How hard is it?  Is the turn out good (both vendor and spectator)?  With all of the talent, the way we are spread over the US, and diversity on this board I would think that a one weekend faire could be put together almost anywhere!  ;)

The Pink Palace Museum puts on the Craft's Fair one weekend every year and it is a BIG success!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

BLAKDUKE

My dear it is not as easy as you would think.  It is expensive.  Who will take the chance of putting up $50k to $100K to bring in the talent necessary and take the chance that it either does not draw the necessary crowd to cover the expenses, or you have bad weather and no one shows up.   Scratch having it in the summer months, mid May thru mid Sept...... to bloody hot.  Then there is the situation of acts.  Most of the acts want a long run 4 to 8 weeks.   About the only way to get acts for a 1 weekend faire would be as an add on to a faire that is just closing down.  As an example the first week in June, you might get some people from the just finished Tenn RF, but then refer to the comment about to bloody hot.  If you opt for a different time such as March thru early May you are bucking up against the Florida, Georgia, Texas, and Tenn. faires.  In the fall you have much the same problems with other competing faires.  Not for patrons mind you, but for entertainment.  Now there is one intriguing possibility.  If you can find a building whose insides can be made to resemble the interior of a castle, you could have a mini faire to back up a feast.  You would not need as many acts that way as for a full weekend faire and you could build on it, if it is received well by the community.  That way you are not limited by weather and could look at the January/February time frame.  Menu items for a feast can be elaborate but they do not have to be.  Simple meats(pork loin, turkey leg, ye ribs of beefe) along with vegatables(potatoes, etc.).    Here in Columbus Ga.  we did exactly that in 1989 and 1990 and if it were not for the brain dead politicians who thought or were told that they would make money from the get go, we might still have something going on here. Hate to be so negative, but those are the facts.  I have rummaged this idea in my head for a long time and have just not found the deep, deep, DEEP pockets that would be necessary to pull it off.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Imestra

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on January 29, 2009, 03:49:57 PM
 If you can find a building whose insides can be made to resemble the interior of a castle, you could have a mini faire to back up a feast.  You would not need as many acts that way as for a full weekend faire and you could build on it, if it is received well by the community.  That way you are not limited by weather and could look at the January/February time frame.  

The Loveland Castleteer gatherings seem to gain momentum with every go.  The last one was a benefit, and entertainers were arranged.
Maybe your passion can be the start of something....
We are all of us in the gutters, but some of us are lookin at the stars

renfairephotog

It'd be a big undertaking. You should check area sci-fi fantasy conventions for interested parties. 

http://www.scenic-city.com/sfrg/

I know there was a Celtic event near Memphis I'll look for the info.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

renfairephotog

http://www.cswt.org/celticfest.html

Celtic Fest in Jackson. TN
2009 dates aren't on this site but band Needfire says they will be there Nov 6-7 2009

This weekend
Annual Robert Burns Night Supper                                                                                 

Saturday, January 31, 2009    6:30 PM

St Mary's Church / Lourdes Room    1665  Highway 45 Bypass   Jackson, TN.

Dinner  $20 per person
Fairy photographer

Dinobabe

Quote from: renfairephotog on January 29, 2009, 11:33:06 PM
http://www.cswt.org/celticfest.html

Celtic Fest in Jackson. TN
2009 dates aren't on this site but band Needfire says they will be there Nov 6-7 2009

This weekend
Annual Robert Burns Night Supper                                                                                 

Saturday, January 31, 2009    6:30 PM

St Mary's Church / Lourdes Room    1665  Highway 45 Bypass   Jackson, TN.

Dinner  $20 per person

Cool!  Thanks!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Craigmeister

I'm shocked at that high cost.  I live near Tulsa, OK.  There were 2 new faires that started around here last fall.  Both of them were just for 1 weekend.  They were held in city parks & were well received by the attendees.  They only lacked for a shortage of advertising.  That has prompted me to begin handing out fliers & starting a website w/ info on local Renfaires.

Tulsa also has a Renfaire put on at a city library.  It is very well attended for its size.  My favorite faire was about 50 miles from Tulsa on lakeside property owned by a small town.  They brought in very good local musical and combat talent.  A few years they had a small jousting troupe as well.  The benefit of the local talent was that they didn't travel over several states to perform and they had more weekends available.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

renfairephotog

The Alabama ren faire is one weekend.  It's been running twenty something years. Most of the entertainment is local. It's in a city park.
Fairy photographer

Jack Daw at Work

Memphis is where i was born and I still have living and dead there.  It would be great to be able to go for a ren-faire. 
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

bmgjarvis

A one weekend fair can be done. Bladedude is right, though. Startup is expensive and difficult. You have to consider your location, your timing, your entertainment, your liability insurance, your local legislation, your sanitation, and your security.

A charity event or an educational event might be easier to start. Partnering with an arts council or a cultural group may help with the location. And, depending on who and what, might help you to get the where. Trading out tickets for products might lower your costs some, but you still have to set up the insurance, sanitation, and security well in advance. Not to mention, booking the location.

Good luck with it!

Craigmeister

One of Oklahoma's new Renfests last fall was the Messina Italian Renfest.  It was partnered w/ 2 or 3 nearby wineries.  It seemed that more people were enjoying the festivities than the wine though.  Huzzah!

http://www.freewebs.com/eventcoordinator-mirf/
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Dinobabe

Just wishful thinking!  Maybe someday!  ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com