News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Drawing Your Blade!!

Started by Jack Daw at Work, February 04, 2009, 08:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Daw at Work

The TX Ren Fest rules stipulate that all blades must be tied in their scabbards.  I am, of course, not against this in any way.  But, I'm curious if there are ren-faires that do not have as strict a rule.  Anyone?

BTW, I think this is a FUN place!!
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Welsh Wench

*gets Crayolas (the 64 pack) and scribbles a nice rapier*

There! I drew my blade!

Huh?...what?...oh. OH!  :-[
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

BLAKDUKE

To my knowledge the one and only time that you can legally draw your blade at a ren-faire is if the faire has a fencing corral and you are standing at it.  And only if the master-at-arms gives his permission.  There were times in the past when I was younger and more limber and wished to engage in a bout at the fencing corral when I would ask the fencing master if I could use my own blade.  He would examine it and either say yea or nay.  What ever his decision it was final and no arguement.  Of course if you are attacked by some deranged patron, there is no prohibition on defending your self.  Outside of the above instances, I have never and would never draw my blade even when asked if it was real, which has been done upon occasion.

BTW
Jack Daw, anything Wenchie has looks better than anything we have..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hi wenchie ;D ;D ;D
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Jack Daw at Work

Actually, I was told by a constable in Harris County that legally I could draw an illegal blade at a re-enacting event.  But, it is the TRF's rules that say that it must be tied in.  Are there any law enforcement officers here that could elaborate?

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Trillium

TRF's rules are most likely for insurance reasons.  You may be surprised to know that many faires around the country do not allow any weapons to be worn.  We're just lucky here in TX! ;D
Got faerie dust?

Lady Christina de Pond

;D glad Garf lets us wear weapons also but peace tie is a must ofcourse I've not actually been stopped to check mine before either since my sheath has a snap that keeps my sword in even if i didn't peace tie it. reminds me need to find ribbon and do a real pretty peace tie on my sword before April
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: Lady Christina de Pond on February 04, 2009, 09:11:54 AM
;D glad Garf lets us wear weapons also but peace tie is a must ofcourse I've not actually been stopped to check mine before either since my sheath has a snap that keeps my sword in even if i didn't peace tie it. reminds me need to find ribbon and do a real pretty peace tie on my sword before April

Ribbons?  I use manly leather thongs.

Lady Christina de Pond

;D chicks can get away with peace tying with ribbons  ;D
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

SirRichardBear

Scarborough allows the Queen Own Highlanders to draw and march with weapons.  Its a privilege we take very serious we have a safety lecture before hand, pair people up with someone who has done parade before etc.   

Four Winds does live weapons demos and staged re-enactments you can meet with the director of those events and if you show your weapon is safe and you are skilled enough you can be part of the re-enactment.  It normally takes some time to show your skilled and safe enough its not something done on the spar of the moment.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Welsh Wench

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on February 04, 2009, 08:42:33 AM

BTW
Jack Daw, anything Wenchie has looks better than anything we have..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hi wenchie ;D ;D ;D

And it sparks so nicely when I drag it when running down a hill!

Hi, Blakduke!  :-*
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

groomporter

That's a pretty much standard rule at most Renfairs around the country.

There are even a few that do not allow customers to carry weapons at all. I think a couple really strict ones only allow their jousters and/or stage combat actors to carry swords.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Jack Daw at Work

This past TRF 2008, a friend told a story of how he drew his dirk to cross blades with another in a small friendly ceremony.  A stranger noticed and reported my friend.  Security showed up, understood the intentions, and let my friend off not even with a warning.

Anna Iram

I attended a very very small faire near my home in Florida a few years back. As it happened the King (being a very skilled swordsman) and a visiting noble (also skilled) took the opportunity to cross blades. It was impromptu and, though I missed part of it, I was helping a child find a lost toy nearby, I was close enough to catch a glimpse and hear the sound of steel upon steel. I'm sorry I was not there to see the whole thing. It was a rare chance I think.

I am very excited that my home faire is allowing ( once again) peace tied weapons! Even if you can't draw them it's nice to see them sported about.

Jack Daw at Work

Actually, one of the reasons why I ask is that I have to wear my claymore (two-handed sword) in a scabbard in a back baldric.  Historically, a Highlander just held it by the handle with the blade lain on his shoulder.  Of course, with the back baldric, I have two free hands all the time; so, it's not an issue. 

Var Greyshadow

We in the Royal Guard at Scarborough are permitted to draw steel for the Memorial Day parade only.  We form a sword arch to honor the veterans who are marching in the parade and then get to march with our drawn swords over the parade route.  We have also been asked to do sword arches for a couple of other events.  As SirRichardBear said, we do take it seriously and are also given a safety lecture in advance.

I've slipped my utility knife out when eating or at need, but the sword stays peace tied everywhere when permitted to draw it at Scarby.
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"