News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Drawing Your Blade!!

Started by Jack Daw at Work, February 04, 2009, 08:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molden

At CRF this last November, they actually peace-tied me flogger...with a bright red ribbon!  :P

'course, ribbons pretty much look appropriate on a Manly Pyrate wot's wearin' a big frilly shirt an' bryte tyghts!  ;)
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

groomporter

Of course Scotsmen should probably be "peace tied" with a blue ribbon  ::)
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Cobaltblu

At Sterling Renaissance Festival they just started allowing peace-tied weapons to be worn last year...after many years of not allowing it.

You can't draw the blade though.

It is a somewhat silly issue since there are plenty of weapons which can kill with a single strike that don't have a blade such as a heavy walking stick with a big brass knob on the end.  I suppose faires think the inclusion of a blade makes it too easy to kill or harm someone quickly without giving them the time or ability to run away.  Heck people can pick up a rock from the ground and knock someone in the head with it and easily kill them.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: Cobaltblu on February 04, 2009, 12:42:43 PM
At Sterling Renaissance Festival they just started allowing peace-tied weapons to be worn last year...after many years of not allowing it.

You can't draw the blade though.

It is a somewhat silly issue since there are plenty of weapons which can kill with a single strike that don't have a blade such as a heavy walking stick with a big brass knob on the end.  I suppose faires think the inclusion of a blade makes it too easy to kill or harm someone quickly without giving them the time or ability to run away.  Heck people can pick up a rock from the ground and knock someone in the head with it and easily kill them.

Regards,

CB

I agree with you!  BAN ALL THE ROCKS!!  BAN THE ROCKS!!
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Welsh Wench on February 04, 2009, 09:23:44 AM
Quote from: BLAKDUKE on February 04, 2009, 08:42:33 AM

BTW
Jack Daw, anything Wenchie has looks better than anything we have..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hi wenchie ;D ;D ;D

And it sparks so nicely when I drag it when running down a hill!

Hi, Blakduke!  :-*

MY IRON LUNG,    WHERE IS MY IRON LUNG????????????????????
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Anna Iram on February 04, 2009, 09:57:52 AM
I attended a very very small faire near my home in Florida a few years back. As it happened the King (being a very skilled swordsman) and a visiting noble (also skilled) took the opportunity to cross blades. It was impromptu and, though I missed part of it, I was helping a child find a lost toy nearby, I was close enough to catch a glimpse and hear the sound of steel upon steel. I'm sorry I was not there to see the whole thing. It was a rare chance I think.

I am very excited that my home faire is allowing ( once again) peace tied weapons! Even if you can't draw them it's nice to see them sported about.

AAHHHHH  Anna you remember, that was a day indeed.  of Course we had to do something to liven up the day, God that was some weekend...

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: groomporter on February 04, 2009, 12:37:06 PM
Of course Scotsmen should probably be "peace tied" with a blue ribbon  ::)

Aye, we always come in first place, don't we!  Unlike those I-Talians.  I've seen the statues over there. 

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on February 04, 2009, 02:20:02 PM
Quote from: Welsh Wench on February 04, 2009, 09:23:44 AM
Quote from: BLAKDUKE on February 04, 2009, 08:42:33 AM

BTW
Jack Daw, anything Wenchie has looks better than anything we have..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hi wenchie ;D ;D ;D

And it sparks so nicely when I drag it when running down a hill!

Hi, Blakduke!  :-*

MY IRON LUNG,    WHERE IS MY IRON LUNG????????????????????

Where's my Irn Bru?  Wakey, wakey!!

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Cobaltblu on February 04, 2009, 12:42:43 PM

And that is after many years of allowing it.  From 1983 until the early 90's weapons were allowed.  I know because I have pictures of me there with sword.   Then it was the usual "some drunk" etc. etc.

I will not go on because this subject has evolved into many an arguement here in the forum.  I will only say that I relish the idea that there is a faire dear to my heart(Sterling) that is now NOT on my list of faires to boycott because of a brainless no-weapons policy.  At the risk of offending and such is not my intent, going to a weaponless faire is like going to Hooters and every waitress is a 29a or less.   Of course all us guys go to Hooters for the hamburgers and fries RRRRRIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHTTTTTTTTTT.................

Anna Iram

Indeed Blakduke, I remember it well.  :)

Jack Daw, if the Italians wore kilts and carried such large weapons as the Scots they'd be in the running for the ribbons too.  :D

LOL...Molden! I can't believe they peace tied your flogger.  ;D  Too funny...

I guess everthing can become a weapon, there's probably just too much of a chance that some lad with no safty and no knowledge of swordsmanship might get carried away and take someone's eye out. So peace tie everything you can.

gypsylakat

well, it is in my firm belief that not everyone should have a sword, unfortunatly there is no such thing as a "sword license" which allows my future brother in law to be ready and willing and able to carry a carbon steel battle ready sword. This a horrible idea and I am quite happy with him not being able to combine this ability with mead, and rum, and beer.

I would love to be able to look at the pretty shinies that everyone else carries responsibly, but I know for every 1 good swordsman there are 5 schmucks that gotta ruin it. If there were a swordscarrying weapon license, I'd be cool with it. Or perhaps at a faire where my F BIL isn't there...
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: Anna Iram on February 04, 2009, 02:40:24 PM
Indeed Blakduke, I remember it well.  :)

Jack Daw, if the Italians wore kilts and carried such large weapons as the Scots they'd be in the running for the ribbons too.  :D

LOL...Molden! I can't believe they peace tied your flogger.  ;D  Too funny...

I guess everthing can become a weapon, there's probably just too much of a chance that some lad with no safty and no knowledge of swordsmanship might get carried away and take someone's eye out. So peace tie everything you can.

The rocks have been banned!  I cairn not.

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: gypsylakat on February 04, 2009, 02:45:58 PM
well, it is in my firm belief that not everyone should have a sword, unfortunatly there is no such thing as a "sword license" which allows my future brother in law to be ready and willing and able to carry a carbon steel battle ready sword. This a horrible idea and I am quite happy with him not being able to combine this ability with mead, and rum, and beer.

I would love to be able to look at the pretty shinies that everyone else carries responsibly, but I know for every 1 good swordsman there are 5 schmucks that gotta ruin it. If there were a swordscarrying weapon license, I'd be cool with it. Or perhaps at a faire where my F BIL isn't there...

If you can limit your drink, you may have all the mead you desire.  Keep your sword tied and you can keep carrying it.

Femme Falchion

My favorite part of the process is telling security to tie me up however they see fit.... so they'll feel safe..... ;)
Domina Virago
Grand Mistress of the Order of the Hatchet
Mother Confessor
Sister of the Spring Fires

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: Femme Falchion on February 04, 2009, 03:01:16 PM
My favorite part of the process is telling security to tie me up however they see fit.... so they'll feel safe..... ;)

Oo, that's randy!