News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Drawing Your Blade!!

Started by Jack Daw at Work, February 04, 2009, 08:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard de Graeme

At Bristol Faire last season an acquaintance, I will refer to as Daniel the Terrible, entered the Faire with a sword not peace tied. The guards at the gate did not check it. Later in the day the Terrible one drew his sword unnoticed by the Sheriff and his men. I have no point, other than the one on my dirk, just a story. :-X
"For it is the doom of man that they forget."
NE OUBLIE!
Purveyor of dubious wisdom
Player of spoons
Herbalist

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: Richard de Graeme on February 04, 2009, 03:14:09 PM
At Bristol Faire last season an acquaintance, I will refer to as Daniel the Terrible, entered the Faire with a sword not peace tied. The guards at the gate did not check it. Later in the day the Terrible one drew his sword unnoticed by the Sheriff and his men. I have no point, other than the one on my dirk, just a story. :-X

In the early days, I've drawn my sword, too, several times, but luckily I was not reported.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

jcbanner

Many of the rules I've seen have just as much to do with the people who DON'T have swords as teh people that do.

The STLRF is pretty good about weapons policy, blades must be covered, and bound so they cant be drawn, but anyone can carry them.

Everyone on cast keeps blades tied, not because we don't know how to be safe with them, but because other people we don't know about.  I can't tell you how many patrons will walk up to someone and try and pull swords from the other's scabbard. 

The only time a weapon may be drawn, is if its for a specific purpose, such as a choreographed fight, a demonstration, or ceremonial reason.

We keep strict rules, because it would be too hard to manage if we didn't use the same blanket standard for everyone.  I know that there are several people that come to faire that know how to use a sword safely, and they might want to show off some skills, but how do we tell other patron that just bought his first sword that he cant also have a mock fight?   You know all those kids that buy the wooden swords and start swinging them around with no idea what they are doing?  If it was an untrained adult it would basically be the same thing only with a stronger arm swinging a real blade.

If you have a sword you like, by all means, wear it to faire if the faire allows it, but if you want to have sword fights, join cast and take the cast training, or join a group that does sword fights.

jcbanner

Quote from: Jack Daw at Work on February 04, 2009, 08:49:19 AM
Actually, I was told by a constable in Harris County that legally I could draw an illegal blade at a re-enacting event.  But, it is the TRF's rules that say that it must be tied in.  Are there any law enforcement officers here that could elaborate?

I've seen several places with laws like this.  To boil it down, it give the organization the right to decide if they will or won't allow weapons, without the state or local laws dictating it to them. It also gives them the chance to demonstrate fights for educational and entertainment purposes without breaking any laws.

Cormac

Kudos to all of the faires that allow weapons to be worn.  I will enjoy carrying my sgian dubh and dirk this year at STLRF.  I hope to see some of the other faires I attend change their policy in regards to weapons.

groomporter

Quote from: Jack Daw at Work on February 04, 2009, 08:49:19 AM
Actually, I was told by a constable in Harris County that legally I could draw an illegal blade at a re-enacting event.  But, it is the TRF's rules that say that it must be tied in.  Are there any law enforcement officers here that could elaborate?

Not a law enforcement officer, but many Renfairs are on private property, therefore the property owners can enforce stricter rules than  what the local law covers. For example, a while ago Minnesota standardized it's regulations for getting a permit to carry a handgun resulting in more permits being issued, but private businesses are allowed to ban guns from their premises. (MNRF has signs at the gate stating they ban handguns in accordance with this).

When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Lady Christina de Pond

Jc i totally understand the point of having it peace tied i've heard stories of people walking up and attempting to draw others weapons. I've also been approached bye teens wanting me to let them hold my weapon. and i totaly agree with the peace tying.
also i remember last year my friends young nephews who wanted swords and finally got wooden swords half way through the day and being children they began wolliping the nearest thing they could with them(thankfully it was a huge pine tree) and they had the to be fulled off the tree and informed that they weren't axes. after lunch the boys began a fake sword fight and it was fun to watch but yeah i know some adults who would act like those kids so yeah peace tying is a good thing
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

BLAKDUKE

And I could not agree more.   However the people doing the peace tying should have a certain amount of common sense and you would be surprised at how many do not.  I went to a faire once(name with held so as not to start a flame war) and the person came up to me to peace tie my rapier.  I told the person it was already but the person was adamant that the official faire peace tie was more magical than mine and proceed to wrap the colored ribbon around the pommel and then to quillion cross guard...  ergo,  the only thing holding the sword to the scabbard and belt was my own tie.  Had I not had that not only could some twit of a teenager or less could have removed the blade but some drunk as well.     I had to tell the faire owners, once I got into the gate about it so they could instruct the people at the gate how to do it properly and the purpose of it.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

jcbanner

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on February 05, 2009, 02:22:44 PM
And I could not agree more.   However the people doing the peace tying should have a certain amount of common sense and you would be surprised at how many do not.  I went to a faire once(name with held so as not to start a flame war) and the person came up to me to peace tie my rapier.  I told the person it was already but the person was adamant that the official faire peace tie was more magical than mine and proceed to wrap the colored ribbon around the pommel and then to quillion cross guard...  ergo,  the only thing holding the sword to the scabbard and belt was my own tie.  Had I not had that not only could some twit of a teenager or less could have removed the blade but some drunk as well.     I had to tell the faire owners, once I got into the gate about it so they could instruct the people at the gate how to do it properly and the purpose of it.

haha, I think I've heard that story from you before. I can only hope that the people putting the peace ties on weapons here in STL know better!

Lady Christina de Pond

yeah i read you loud and clear it's not much of a peace tie if you can still draw the weapon
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

NoBill Lurker

But if it was a " Magical Peace Tie " wouldn't you become King if you could draw your sword then?
Or would that mean that you were a wizard?

;D
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: jcbanner on February 05, 2009, 03:50:55 PM
Quote from: BLAKDUKE on February 05, 2009, 02:22:44 PM

haha, I think I've heard that story from you before. I can only hope that the people putting the peace ties on weapons here in STL know better!

I think they do.  Having attended your faire on Memorial day weekend I went thru the gate the people there looked at my ties and motioned me thru.  Good Job
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Hatter

MN is quite strict about the peace tie.  The front gate always checks weapons and puts a zip strip on them.  I have a ballic dagger which I wear traditionally.  I always pick a nice young wench at the gate, walk up and present my dagger and say.  Put the tie just above the balls.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Hatter on February 11, 2009, 02:39:32 PM
MN is quite strict about the peace tie.  The front gate always checks weapons and puts a zip strip on them.  I have a ballic dagger which I wear traditionally.  I always pick a nice young wench at the gate, walk up and present my dagger and say.  Put the tie just above the balls.

You are such a baaaaaad man.  ;D
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Hatter