News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Drawing Your Blade!!

Started by Jack Daw at Work, February 04, 2009, 08:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard de Graeme

Hatter - would it not prolong the tying and hold up the line ??? ;D
"For it is the doom of man that they forget."
NE OUBLIE!
Purveyor of dubious wisdom
Player of spoons
Herbalist

Hatter

On one occasion it did hold up the line.  The fair wench was so embarrassed that she could not perform the function.  She turned 3 shades of red and fumbled with the zip tie.  She finally had to get another gate person to do it.

Richard de Graeme

NE OUBLIE!
Player of spoons
Herbalist

Carl Heinz

To sound somewhat grumpy, if those carrying swords won't take the responsibility to keep track of the tips so that others get jabbed in the shins with them, is it any wonder that events that permit carrying require that they be peace tied?  Too many folks feel that it is the responsibility of others to take precautions to avoid the tips of their swords.  Back in the days when I carried a rapier, I used a baldric and had it rigged so that my sword was nearly verticle when walking around.  I could readjust it to an angled carry if the situation warranted it.  Now, I just carry a knife or dagger.  They range in length from around 5 inches to a dirk that's around fifteen inches.  They're peace tied except when being used while eating.

At RPFS, the Sword of State is carried in parades unsheathed as are some of the swords carried in some of the other parades.  Some of the shows have staged sword fights and there is the fencing arena.

Salamander Armory (www.atar.com) enforces the state law that potential customers must be eighteen before they can handle items on display for sale.  Customers are allowed to test for balance--unless they appear to be drunk and might pose a risk.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Richard de Graeme

Good show CH. Common sense will out. 8)
NE OUBLIE!
Player of spoons
Herbalist

Sir Morgan

Not as bad as me, I like to find a young pretty thing and have her tie my two hand sword(for those FF buffs its a replica of clouds sword from ff7) then ask her if she has ever done one THAT BIG.

somefinfishy

My friend loves the nintendo charicter link.
He tried to get into fest with a longbow (no arrows on his person)
he was told he would have to unstring it and that ment cutting the string ::)
but he could have had a quiver full of arrows to stab a dosen patrons. ROFL
My dull / unsharpened two handed sword must be peace tied but my son can carry a 5' staff with a 2lb acrylic "crystal" ball on the end Like I couldent beat someone stupid with that in 2.2 seconds.
I would also think the drunkards would be more apt to use the blunt wepons since they seem safer/non deadly.
I'm making my blade a wrap so I can wield it but have the blade/tip still covered. kinda a sheath inside the scabberd.
Allthough I'm thinking of makeing a VERY real looking wood blade would love them to have me piece tie that since there are 100 other wooden swords that arnt.

unfortunatly peace tie rules need to be and I realy dont mind that much but they are needed and I respect them most of the time ;D

SirRichardBear

I often carry a black walnut staff about five and a half feet long.  I'm always amused when people ask me why I'm not armed like the other scots.

Of course I will also carry a wooden cain down town if I know I'm going to be around late at night and laught when people ask me if I worry about being unarmed down town that late at night.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

DonaCatalina

LOL ...Don Juan has frequently told people that he would do more damage with his cane than his sword.
The cane is solid hickory and has a 4 pound brass head.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Pyroguy

Flintlocks, cannons, canes, walking staffs, wooden weapons, arrows, hammers/flails/maces etc... not to mention the "cannon on a stick" I plan on bringing with me. Wonder what else I can bring that loopholes the "safety" rules. ;)
Does anyone else hear a ticking sound..?

BLAKDUKE

Most of you know my stand on weapons policies at faire, so I will not expound here.  However I believe the original question had to do with drawing your blade at faire.  Now I will go on record as saying that I would not draw my blade outside of a fencing corral just to show off or show someone my sword and that I could not be drunk enough to do that.  However I will also say that there is 1 situation that not only would I draw my blade but I would use it, and that would be if some drunk were coming at me with a drawn blade, at that point it is self defence and I would defend myself.  I am sure that faire management would say "call for security"  rrrriiiggghhhtttt!!!!!!   The guy is 10 feet from me and security is God only knows where, by the time they get there I could be dead or worse.     
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Shameless plug!

Sword swinging drunk deterent:

Bringing law and Orders to the faires near you!

BLAKDUKE

that is why Templars are always welcome at faires I reign at.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

DarkLord

I have yet to visit a faire where a playtron is allowed to draw a steel blade.
Bringer of Doom and Pestilence

crazyrennie

Arizona always has had a peace tie the weapon policy.
I will agree with most of the people here saying that the people who know how to use a weapon are neer the people I have to worry about-

Although I did see a patron bring in a 40 pound war hammer with the cutest little peace tie on it-