News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

BARF Entertainment List

Started by Celtic_Fae, February 04, 2009, 06:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celtic_Fae

NoBill Lurker

Your link doesn't work...

But I think this is what you were trying for...

BARF Entertainment List
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Anna Iram

I'm very happy to see For Love or Money  :) and Cantiga is not to be missed for those who love music from the period. Really talented musicians. Christophe...many others.

Make it a point everyone to catch Hob the Troll. He had me laughing when I saw him at MIRF.  :D

Cpt. Black Shadow

im gonna miss the tortuga brothes this year
I am Captain Black Shadow. Captain of the Pirate Dreadship Katie Marie! MuwahahaHa

Lady Renee Buchanan

Have you had the New Minstrel Review before?  They are at Bristol, and we really like them.  I don't remember seeing them at BARF when we came down in 2007.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Anna Iram

Yeah, The Tortuga's were great. :) I think they've franchised.

New Minstrel's name was familiar, but I believe they're new. What's their show like Renee?

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Anna Iram on February 10, 2009, 09:58:34 PM
Yeah, The Tortuga's were great. :) I think they've franchised.

New Minstrel's name was familiar, but I believe they're new. What's their show like Renee?
Three guys that play music but joke around with themselves and the audience.  A lot of fun.  Usually each show is different, so we go to more than one in a day.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Squire Mickey

No Pirate tales? No Buccaneer weekend?

We ARE in Tampa aren't we?
Mickey Flint, Esquire
First Mate, The Harbinger
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Anna Iram

No. We're in 16th century England.  :D

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Anna Iram on February 11, 2009, 10:07:05 AM

As a matter of FACT, piracy and privateering where in place LONG before the Tudor Dynasty of England and were an intergral part of the wars with France and Scottland at the EXACT time the BARF is set.

My character Mickey Flint is a privateer in the service of Henry VIII in his struggle against the French and the Scots.  Henry VIII issued the following Letter of Marque in the year 1543, just months after taking the hand of Catherine Parr in marriage...

Letter of Marque Against Scotland and France,
Henry VIII, 1543

The King's most royal Majesty being credibly informed that divers and many of his most loving faithful and obedient subjects inhabiting upon the sea coasts, using trafic by sea, and divers others, be very desirous to prepare and equip sundry ships and vessels at their own costs and charges to the sea for the annoyance of his Majesty's enemies, the Frenchmen and the Scots, so as they might obtain his most gracious licence in that behalf, Hath, of his clemency, tender love, and zeal, which he beareth to his subjects, by the advice of his most honorable counsel resolved and determined as hereafter followeth:

First his Majesty is pleased, and by the authority hereof giveth full power and licence to all and singular, his subjects of all sorts, degrees, and conditions, that they and every of them, may, at their liberties, without incuring any loss, danger, forfeiture, or penalty, and without putting in of any bonds or recognizance before the Counsel, or in the Court of the Admiralty, and without suing forth of any other licence, vidimus, or other writing, from any counsel, court, or place, within this realm, or any other his Majesty's realms and dominions, prepare and equip to the seas such and so many ships and vessels furnished for the war, to be used and employed against his Grace's said enemies, the Scots and Frenchmen, as they shall be able to think convenient for their advantage and the annoyance of his Majesty's said enemies. And his Majesty is further pleased, and by this presents granteth to every of his said subjects that they, and every of them, shall enjoy to his and their own proper use, profit, and commodity, all and singular such ships, vessels, munition, merchandise, wares, victuals, and goods of what nature and quality soever it be, which they shall take of any of his Majesty's said enemies, without making account in any court or place of this realm or any other of the King's realms or dominions for the same, and without paying any part or share to the Lord Admiral of England, the Lord Warden of the Five Ports, or any other officer or minister of the King's Majesty, any use, custom, prescription, or order to the contrary hereof used heretofore in any wise notwithstanding. And his Majesty is further pleased that all and every his said subjects which upon the publication of this proclamation will sue for a duplicate of the same under the great seal of England, shall have the same, paying only the petty fees to the officers for writing the same.

And, seeing now that it hath pleased the King's Majesty, of his most gracious goodness, to grant unto all his subjects this great liberty, his Highness desireth all mayors, sheriffs, bailiffs, aldermen, and all other his Grace's faithful officers, ministers, and subjects of this realm, and other his Highness' realms and dominions, and especially those which do inhabit in the port towns and other places near the seaside, to shew themselves worthy of such liberty, and one to bear with an other, and to help an other, in such sort as their doing hereupon may be substantial, and bring forth that effect that shall redound to his Majesty's honor, their own suerties, and the annoyance of the enemies.

Provided always that no man which shall go to the sea by virtue hereof presume to take any thing from any his Majesty's subjects, or from any man having his Grace's safeconduct, upon the pains by his Majesty's laws provided for the same. And his Grace is further pleased that no manner of officer, or other person, shall take any mariners, munition, or tackle from any man thus equipping himself to the sea, but by his own consent, unless his Majesty, for the furniture of his own ships, do send for any of them by special commissions, and where need shall require. His Majesty will also grant commission to such as will sue for the same for their better furnitures in this behalf.
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Squire Mickey

Ah, Now I get what you mean....Fiddlesworth being England. Right!

Sorry a bit defensive about the new character after all the grief I took at the Gainesville faire a few weeks back. My own fault for not reading that it was a medieval fair, but still a bit defensive

My applogies if I sounded harsh, Lady Anna...Twas not me intent.
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Anna Iram

You pirates are a testy lot!  ;)

I did the same thing a few years ago at another medieval faire. I had split my weekend up between a pirate fest and a medieval faire and being in my pirate mode just wore that to both. Not until I arrived did I get it. Duh...whatever...I stil had fun. :)

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Anna Iram on February 11, 2009, 11:04:12 AM
You pirates are a testy lot!  ;)

I did the same thing a few years ago at another medieval faire. I had split my weekend up between a pirate fest and a medieval faire and being in my pirate mode just wore that to both. Not until I arrived did I get it. Duh...whatever...I stil had fun. :)

I was a little surprised at the grief I got to be honest with you. I WAS a little disappointed with myself because i DO have medieval garb and seldom get to wear it. I was excited to "test drive" the new persona before BARF opened.  Was not expecting all of the flac though. It stared at the main gate from the cast! Took me back a bit since it was my first time there and Lord Jarhead had given the faire high praise. Personally, felt more like a flea market than a fair anyway!
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Caligo

Wait, they bumped Pirate's Tales?

I liked them!

pktaxwench

Quote from: Squire Mickey on February 11, 2009, 10:31:42 AM

Sorry a bit defensive about the new character after all the grief I took at the Gainesville faire a few weeks back. My own fault for not reading that it was a medieval fair, but still a bit defensive

*delurking*

I busted out my Jack Sparrow attire for Hoggetowne, and got absolutely no grief at all.  Granted, I'm a former castmember of that show, but even the newbies I don't know treated me well (and I had to crossdress to be Sparrow!) and a few of them called me on subsequent days and excitedly told me that there were other Sparrows in attendance.   

On behalf of my old cast, I apologize if any of them treated you poorly, they like pirates even if they aren't allowed to be pirates.  The punks at the front gate are hired independantly of the cast; if you've a problem with their attitude, I'd reccommend contacting the city of gainesville dept of cultural affairs and letting them know.

Squire Mickey

Quote from: pktaxwench on February 11, 2009, 09:50:11 PM

*delurking*

I busted out my Jack Sparrow attire for Hoggetowne, and got absolutely no grief at all.  Granted, I'm a former castmember of that show, but even the newbies I don't know treated me well (and I had to crossdress to be Sparrow!) and a few of them called me on subsequent days and excitedly told me that there were other Sparrows in attendance.   

On behalf of my old cast, I apologize if any of them treated you poorly, they like pirates even if they aren't allowed to be pirates.  The punks at the front gate are hired independantly of the cast; if you've a problem with their attitude, I'd reccommend contacting the city of gainesville dept of cultural affairs and letting them know.

Well thanks for the apologies, but it wasn't your fault. I am sorry that I missed you. I saw one very tall Jack Sparrow renactor who was quite good. HE was very friendly to me (not surprising)

Cast or not cast, as I said, it was all in all rather a slew of comments all day about the time period being wrong from mundanes as well. I had high hopes for the gathering as it was my 10th different faire. I all honesty, I won't be making the 5 hour round trip drive again, and I certainly am not going to spend the time talking to a parks department.

Thank YOU though for taking the time to post. I hope to meet you at BARF if you are going!
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

renfairenewb

Quote from: Squire Mickey on February 11, 2009, 10:31:42 AM

Wow, I didn't know you caught grief at Hoggetowne.  I thought your garb was great (which I only saw from a distance).  I saw several individuals in pirate garb and a couple that there on Sunday that looked spectacular in their pirate outfits too.  I am new to this so I don't really understand why individuals are so worried about what someone is wearing.  Hoggetowne was my second faire and I enjoyed it, but the minute my wife and I aren't having anymore fun is the minute we'll stop going.  I guess it's because I'm not a "purist" in the regard that I am striving to be historically accurate, but I am striving to have fun and escape for a day or two.  My wife and I plan to make it over one or two weekends for BARF.

Squire Mickey

Oh, don't get me wrong. I hardly let it bother me much. If anything I was really surprised by it is all. I have never run across that before.

You will not hear anything like that at BARF. You get a great mix of historically accurate from all different periods (Elizabethan, Medieval, Viking, Golden age of Pirates) as well as AWESOME fantasy garb, Steampunk and your occasional Stormtroopers!

There are places where historically accurate is essential. They are called Reenactments. That is all together different. They are just as much for education as for fun. Even these welcome others to come in garb, if not participate in the reenactments.

Please don't let my grumblings discourage you. They are by far the exception. The norm is fun and VERY VERY friendly folk (especially once the pub is open!)

And lastly, sorry for unintentionally hijacking the thread   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Madge Estes

Tortugas will be in last weekend as usual.

High Seas Adventure is our Buccaneer/Pirate themed weekend.
Live so your dreams recognize you.

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Madge Estes on February 12, 2009, 09:59:00 AM
Tortugas will be in last weekend as usual.

High Seas Adventure is our Buccaneer/Pirate themed weekend.

Good Greetings Your Highness!

Far be it from me to dissent, but according to the website, the is no High Seas Adventure this year. It states that the last weekend is the Spanish Expedition April 4th & 5th sporting a flower festival, a longbow competition, and Spanish food.

I am greatly looking forward to seeing you and all the cast again soon!
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Princess Christine 2.0

*bows* Greetings Madge Estes. Glad to see you dropping in! Hope all is well.

YAY Flowers!!! i like flowers!!! and Spanish food!! HUZZAH!
sorry, my coffee is kicking in, im a little hyper!

Im not bad im just drawn that way!

Madge Estes

Part of the Wonders of the World weekend - Nautical Nonsense
Quote from: Squire Mickey on February 12, 2009, 10:12:34 AM

Far be it from me to dissent, but according to the website, the is no High Seas Adventure this year. It states that the last weekend is the Spanish Expedition April 4th & 5th sporting a flower festival, a longbow competition, and Spanish food.

Squire Mickey

Quote from: Madge Estes on February 12, 2009, 10:32:57 AM
Part of the Wonders of the World weekend - Nautical Nonsense
Quote from: Squire Mickey on February 12, 2009, 10:12:34 AM

FANTASTIC NEWS!

Thanks so much for the clarification!
Mickey Flint, Esquire
Landshark #107
IFRP #1473
Clan M'Crack P.E.T.
Captain, Ithilean Ran

Anna Iram

Very excited to see the Tortuga's will be here!  :)

I'll have to bring out my inner pirate for Wonders weekend. That'll be fun!

pktaxwench

I'll be at BARF, I'm new to the cast this year (and just here at BARF for one year).  Lady Elizabeth Norrington, and an be found with the Queens Court or on the chessmatch field.  Say hi if you can!

I'm glad at least my fellow Sparrow was pleasant to you.  We 'serious' Sparrows in general are a fun and pleasant bunch (look at who we like to dress up as) and have an active community online at keeptothecode.com, so if anyone of us is a jerk, we like to know so we can police our own.  As for the mundanes... well, pooey on them.   There's a reason mundanes are mundane... they've no semse of fun.

(And, well, if anyone made any comments anti-Sparrow, I certainly didn't hear them... the wig covers the ears and makes it hard to hear!  Plus, it was kids day when I went... they were more interested in denouncing my tattoo as fake.)

-Cristine

Quote from: Squire Mickey on February 12, 2009, 07:32:36 AM

*delurking*

Well thanks for the apologies, but it wasn't your fault. I am sorry that I missed you. I saw one very tall Jack Sparrow renactor who was quite good. HE was very friendly to me (not surprising)

Cast or not cast, as I said, it was all in all rather a slew of comments all day about the time period being wrong from mundanes as well. I had high hopes for the gathering as it was my 10th different faire. I all honesty, I won't be making the 5 hour round trip drive again, and I certainly am not going to spend the time talking to a parks department.

Thank YOU though for taking the time to post. I hope to meet you at BARF if you are going!

Caligo

I was told once of a great way to deal with garb Nazis, look at their feet. If they are wearing shoes that have a left and a right foot loudly proclaim about the wonders of such advanced footwear, talk about how you didn't think such a think would be invented yet for a couple of hundred years, then if you want go in to other aspects of THEIR garb, like machine made fabric, regular stitching, and perfect dyes.
It's actually very easy to nail most garb Nazis at their own game, you just have to be pickier than they are, but since they started it you can be louder, and more obvious.

Celtic_Fae

Just as a helpful, well-intentioned hint to anyone over at BARF headquarters: The web page listing the entertainment might be better received if it were updated to include the newly-hired's/other acts that have signed on since it was originally posted.

MargaretheDietrich

Quote from: Squire Mickey on February 12, 2009, 07:32:36 AM

*delurking*

I think that's one of the reasons that I like portraying a Campfollower to a group of German Mercenaries on cast. No one DARES pester a bunch of men with pikes!  ;)
As it was, Henry himself adopted the Landsknecht manner of "Puff and slash" and actually had his own group of the mercenaries.
We're fairly firmly entrenched in 1520s manner of dress with our costumes as well.
I'm  not one of the people who judges others' garb (unless it's solidly in the "way too shiny to be anything other than a prom dress" camp! ;-)
I can't wear wool (allergic and it's FLORIDA!!)  but I try to go as close to period as possible.
Seriously though, our group likes to joke around with pirates, so be prepared! it NEVER gets rude though. We're a pretty welcoming bunch of "Jolly Germans on Holiday."
If you have a glass of beer in hand, you're okay with the Landsknechts!  ;D
The guys will also be teaching their dagger classes again. Feel free to come take one! (Our "camp" is right across from the Pirates' Pub.) You may even hear our "Beer cheer" ringing out across the site!

Madge Estes

It has been updated.

Quote from: Kathryn (Fae) Weldon on February 13, 2009, 01:02:00 PM
Just as a helpful, well-intentioned hint to anyone over at BARF headquarters: The web page listing the entertainment might be better received if it were updated to include the newly-hired's/other acts that have signed on since it was originally posted.