News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Do you accent?

Started by gypsylakat, February 05, 2009, 11:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gypsylakat

Random question, do you use an accent at faire? Do you speak in ye olde english? I'm just curious as to who does what...
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Taffy Saltwater

No -my accent sounds forced and unnatural.
Sveethot!

Cormac

Nope, just can't get it to flow smoothly throughout the day.  I work at it a bit at a time and maybe after another decade or so I'll have it down.

Rani Zemirah

I do use a fairly thick Romanian/Turkish mix accent in my Gypsy role, but I am also beginning performance at our local Faire, so I have to try, at least. As a child I was always fascinated by languages, and the way English sounded being spoken by non-native speakers, and so every time I would hear a pronounced accent I would try to reproduce it until I was at least almost good enough to fool people with it... so I suppose accents are part of who I've been most of my life, not just for Faire.
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Yennefer

I am lucky :P I still have my Russian accent - I had been in US for about 5-6 years now so I dont have to fake mine hehe..

I am  going to try and pick up couple of lines  with English accent for Scarby this year.. Wish me luck :)
Yennefer von Vengerberg

Jack Daw at Work

Unless I'm sure I can do a genuine Scottish brogue, I won't and so I don't.  All it takes is to meet a real Scot to feel embarrassed at butchering his accent like Mel Gibson did in Braveheart.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

RumbaRue

After using a very strong Irish accent....most people couldn't understand what I was saying. Except one time when I was doing the Irish Faire that use to be at the Santa Anita Racetrack in Pasadena, some people from Ireland actually thought I was from Ireland. I broke their hearts when I broke the accent and started talking in my California gal accent.

As for now, I don't bother really except maybe when I'm writing something.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Elennare

When I'm working at Faire, I do.  If I'm just attending, I might, but usually don't.

I started with "basic faire accent," then decided I liked Irish better after I used it for a performance in an acting class, so I switched.  I use a rather "soft" accent, both because I'm not that good at it yet, and because the accent tape I got to learn from sounded like Lucky the Leperchaun and I DID NOT want to talk like that (I gave up on the tape and just watched Boondock Saints many many times). :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

BLAKDUKE

I do.  Whether performing or visiting.  The only time I would not would be if I were lucky enough to attend a faire IN England.

Then I would be a visitor from the colonies.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

DeadBishop

While working my booth, I speak with what's referred to as a "faire" accent.  Essentially, you're just over enunciating everything you say, along with using period terminology, and voila!  You're speaking with an accent.   ;D

R/F.com member since 2003

Scotsman

Mine is more of a slur ... but that is probably due to the beer ...
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Lady Christina de Pond

:P last time i attempted to use accents i wound up rambling off random spanish words and making wonder how did spanish leak into old english accents
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

wyckdblyss

I don't bother...everytime I have tried accent, it ends up sounding a little bit Scottish with a Texas twang...to funny to be authentic, so I gave up  ;D
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

SirRichardBear

Not really an accent but I use certain words and phases to give a little period to my speaking.  If someone
says you don't sound much like a scotsman, I've had people tell me that, I explain I've spend the last 20 years fighting in France, Spain, Low Countries, and Italy and before that spend 10 years in Wales living with me father who is welsh, before returning to be with me mothers people in the highlands.  Which normally confuses them so much they forget that what they were saying about me accent.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Sitara

I can only say a few words at at time with an accent that sounds somewhat right.  Anytime I go over a few words, my accent changes to bad Russian spy, like Boris and Natasha bad.  I guess that one kinda works as I am a gypsy. 
Beer wenches are the best wenches!