News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Do you accent?

Started by gypsylakat, February 05, 2009, 11:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobaltblu

I do when it comes easy to me.

I mainly try to phrase sentences a little out of the normal to sound different than modern english.

You always convey your meaning better and faster doing what comes natural to you...and conveyance is much more important than accent.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Master James

Yes I use an accent while at faire but it depends on who I am as to which accent I use.  I am a Baron most of the time so I speak with a noble class accent.  Being on cast at VARF, its a requirement.  When I put on my garb I just drop into it.  I almost can't help it.   ::)  I also use a pirate accent although pretty light one when dressed as a pirate.  If I dress in M'Crack garb I'll sometimes try an Irish accent but it winds up sounding more Scottish (and bad Scottish at that) so I usually give up.  I'll keep working on it though.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Trillium

I don't bother beyond basic greetings.  I'm horrible at it and spend most of my time chasing my 5 y.o. pirate anyway.  Luckily, be fae most of the time, an accent is not really expected! ;D
Got faerie dust?

Luciana

Just basic old english, even that not too much. But my native accent is so thick that sounds exotic anyway.
Luciana
Gypsy Fur Trader
Ette,Divine Oracle

My goal in life is to be as good of a person
as my dog thinks I am.

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

Generally, i pick up whatever accent is being used near me.

knarlyknot

I do too, sealclubber!  I find that whatever accent is in the tent at the time I pick up, whether it's Scottish, Old English, Pirate or Gypsy.  Other than that I just try my best not to sound like I'm from Texas!

Dayna

Yes, always when in garb.  I have an advantage in having been raised for the first few years of my life by my Welsh grandparents, and having been given over 2 years of speech therapy once I started school, in order to teach me how to talk like an American mid-westerner.

I also have an ear for accents, so I tend to fall into the patterns of those around me, which means when I run into a Brit, it mutates rather quickly.

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Var Greyshadow

As a kid, I learned how to do a pretty good English accent from watching too much PBS and Dr. Who.  I've managed to keep it some.  I actually fooled some people at Dickens once, but at faire, I tend to lay it on a little too thick.  I do try and will keep trying. 

Lawrence does a good Scottish accent and has an excellent English one, if his persona ever allows.
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Welsh Wench

No, but I giggle in French.

And Scotsman, I've heard that accent. When you were talking to Mad Jack.  ;)
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I try to do a very proper English accent, but I can do Cockney very easily. Once had a guy from England tell me I did a damn good English accent with a twinge of Scottish thrown in. He was quite impressed. I'd love to do a French Accent but HAY forget that idea... me French? Yeah right
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Noble Dreg

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on February 05, 2009, 11:34:01 AM
No -my accent sounds forced and unnatural.

Me too!

To be truthful, no slam to the general performing populations, I find most ren-actors speak with a forced accent.  I find the "fair" accent DB spoke of much more "real".  When I hear a bad accent it takes me away from the "play" and I find myself thinking "What does this guy do in his day job?".  But if the costume is there, and the actor has a "playful mood", I find a "fair" accent does nothing to detract from the experience.
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Sonata

I can do a passable rendition of a few different accents ('generic' british, My-Fair-Lady Cockney, 'hollywood Irish'), but I can't hold one for long without really concentrating. Usually I find that just being careful with my diction, trying to lessen the Texas drawl, and using slightly more formal 'King James version' language is sufficient.
Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the fallen angel meets the rising ape. Terry Pratchett

Lady Neysa

I've never been able to speak with a faire accent.  I always sound like a dork when I try, so I gave up years ago. 

Katie Bookwench

I started in my early teens catching late night Monty Python... so when I started working at fair, I was already armed with a BFA.

Fast forward 20 years, and I can fool some Brits, but not every one of them. At this point, I don't even have to concentrate on whether I'm in accent or not.

But in the past couple of years I've been trying to incorporate a Northern Irish accent into my BFA - I fell in love with the dipthongs and a lot of the vowel sounds of the Northern (or, Ulster, if you will) dialect.

So it's repeated watchings of 'Divorcing Jack' and listening really close to Barry Fitzgerald from Ghost Hunters International for me (BTW, if you've never seen Divorcing Jack, give it a shot... it's a bit like Boondock Saints, dirty and gritty, and not very nice, but a good story).

It's coming along... I can do pretty much all the four letter words quite well.  ;D
Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: wyckdblyss on February 05, 2009, 01:36:40 PM
I don't bother...everytime I have tried accent, it ends up sounding a little bit Scottish with a Texas twang...to funny to be authentic, so I gave up  ;D

Like, "Hout mon, ya'll"?  This would me, too, I think.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."