News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Do you accent?

Started by gypsylakat, February 05, 2009, 11:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al-Nimer

Quote from: knarlyknot on February 05, 2009, 03:16:08 PM
I do too, sealclubber!  I find that whatever accent is in the tent at the time I pick up, whether it's Scottish, Old English, Pirate or Gypsy.  Other than that I just try my best not to sound like I'm from Texas!
Yep, that's me as well, most of the time.  My drummer character is supposed to be Egyptian/Gypsy, so I usually try to talk with that accent, but I usually can only get a few words at a time.  Hard to stay in it all day when there are so many others around.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

gypsylakat

hows about vocab? "hey yo sup? this ren faire is totally tubeular" or "good morrow the festival is wonderous is it not?"
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Jack Daw at Work

For those that work the Texas Ren Fest, I've never heard anyone NOT speak with an accent.  Is it required?
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

wyckdblyss

That is pretty much how it ends up, Jack. I get lots of giggles from friends when I try it. So, I find it best to just try not to talk much...that way I am safer...lol
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Sitara on February 05, 2009, 01:54:00 PM
I can only say a few words at at time with an accent that sounds somewhat right.  Anytime I go over a few words, my accent changes to bad Russian spy, like Boris and Natasha bad.  I guess that one kinda works as I am a gypsy. 

Yeah but Boris and Natasha are not bad, they are great, along with BabyFace Braunshwieger.   
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Welsh Wench on February 05, 2009, 04:41:52 PM
No, but I giggle in French.

So does that mean you are bucking to be a "French Wench"
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Carl Heinz

RPFS participants have mandatory BFA workshops at varying levels of complexity.  Some of us have taken them so frequently that some workshops occasionally turn into a chorus.  The apprentice BFA workshop has a handout in book form that's also sold at the REP booth.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Captain Jack Wolfe

And what a giggle it is!  ;) ;D

And Scotsman, I've heard that accent. When you were talking to Mad Jack.  ;)

Strangely enough, we manage to understand one another.  It's easy when everything pretty much means "I think we need to drink some more."  :D

My biggest problem is shutting my accent off when I'm at faire.  Once I walk out the gate, it's easy.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Elennare

Quote from: Katie Bookwench on February 05, 2009, 08:09:03 PM
I can do pretty much all the four letter words quite well.  ;D

Hehe...me too. :)  Though not part of my normal vocabulary, I had to use them for my acting class, so I got them down cold.  Kinda makes the (at least from my faire) standard "break your accent" phrase (nuke the f*ing pop tarts) useless, though... :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

DonaCatalina

I do a passable Spanish accent....which is quite different from Mexican or South American accents. 
I've actually had people ask me what part of Spain that I'm from.
Of course it helps that I do speak some Spanish.

If I sound dorky, my friends have refrained from laughing so far.  ;D ;D ;D
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

metalcelt

I use what I call my "fake" Irish accent when performing at Faire. When talking to the Danes I try to remember to use it but I don't always....

Welsh Wench

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on February 06, 2009, 10:04:56 AM

So does that mean you are bucking to be a "French Wench"
Only in Paris..... ;)
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Dance_Dance

I can't control my accents.  Every now and then, I start talking like a British woman or a Russian woman.  A couple of times I've done an Australian accent.  And once I got stuck as a Scottish boy and couldn't figure out how to stop for about thirty minutes.  My friends couldn't tell if I was just joking or not, but I have little to no control over my accents.  Mostly, when I do have an accent, it's from my mutt heritage, and I can be tricked into an accent when I'm around others speaking like that (I've had people give me glares because they thought I was mocking them).  However, this only works when I'm not thinking about talking.  If you try to teach me an accent or point out that I'm speaking in one, I can rarely hold on to it.

But I'm totally in control of my vocab and do my best to speak Faire Speak when I'm messing around at the faire. :)

Athena

Quote from: Scotsman on February 05, 2009, 01:28:14 PM
Mine is more of a slur ... but that is probably due to the beer ...

Heh, that's the extent of my mine as well.  8)

I have a gawdawful English accent, and my persona is Eastern European so it wouldn't apply anyway. Accents from the Balkans I can do, but I just don't feel like it. I'll wear the clothes, and leave the BFA to the cast.  :)
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Welsh Wench

You could dazzle them with your fluent Greek, Athena!
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....