News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Favorite Lyrics for Drunken Sailor

Started by Blackbead, February 06, 2009, 10:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackbead

Ahoy, shipmates!

The crew of the Adventure is currently putting the finishing touches on a stage show called "Devil's Tavern," the thirty minute show being an attempt to bring the audience to a tavern full of pirates.  We sing songs, tell tales (recite poetry), and give out tid bits on life at sea ("So, if I tells ye that me ship be 'stiff' do ye know what that means?")  We are planning on starting the show by singing "Drunken Sailor" and we're looking for original, but real, sounding lyrics.  One of my favorites is - "Lash up his chest and show him the keel"!  But, if you suggest one and it strikes our fancy, you might hear this year at -

Middlefaire
Pirate Days at the Colony
Lawton
??????

So, to quote a more recent songmeister, "hit me with your best shot!"

Blackbead
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

Just make sure that your lyrics fit in the meter of the song!

"Put him in a dress and call him Shirley"

"Kick him in the belly til he pukes 'is guts out"

"Put it in a bucket and make 'im drink it"

We did some shows last year with a group that took audience suggestions for this song and you'd be surprised how badlly the lyrics fit on some.
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

Blackbead

Captain Thighbiter,

In one of our shows for last year's Middlefaire we just walked among the crowd and pointed at people to sing a verse.  We got a couple of good ones but there was one or two that were kind of scary.  Graydog, ove at the Pyracy Pub, suggested one that would create a chance to educate the audience.  THANK YE!

"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

NorthBayDreamer

I always liked "Put him at the wheel of an Exxon tanker"
;)
Lord Lisle (when a Nobel)
Horndog (when a Pirate)
Master Thomas Boddinham (when a middle)
Landshark No. 67

Blackbead

Lol . . . "Father Joe."  Thank ye, NBD!!

Queen Bonnie

Stolen from the Bilge Pumps!( Pirate!)
" Send him out to pee in the poison ivy!"
My own- "Throw him overboard and troll for sharks!"
I make it fit when I sing it! Yo Ho!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Blackbead

LOL!!  :D  I agree, Your Majesty, sometimes the besst lyrics to this ditty are the ones we have fun making fit!  Thank you!

mpullen

Will you come and dance with me
Will you come and dance with me
Said the fair young maiden.

To hell with the dance,
pull down your pants
Said Barnacle Bill the Sailor.

Opps, guess that's Barnacle Bill and not the Drunken Sailor.

(BTW, have lots more verses for BB).

Blackbead

There has GOT to be a way to make that fit in "Drunken Sailor" . . .