News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hoggetowne, A HUGE THANK YOU from Kitty Carroll, Falconer

Started by HawkMom, February 02, 2009, 01:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkMom

Thank you for the generous donations that you collected for me.  I was very touched when a box was brought to me full of donations.  They will re-invested into the birds and their care. 

For those of you who did not know. One of my Harris' Hawks (Cortez) was electrocuted when he landed on a transformer at Hoggetowne on opening day.  This happened right during the last show of the day.  'Cortez' was the cousin to my old Harris 'Zorro'. Cortez, like Zorro bird was a wonderful bird, sweet, calm and simply beautiful. Very dark. Not only am I heartbroken. It happened during an educational free-flight program. It was a late in the day program and he landed right on top of the transformer. Despite being surrounded by lots of trees. I tried to call him back, but too late. I saw the sparks, he froze up on it. Then he fell. One of the audience members was a Vet and was trying to revive him before I got there, but too late. He had already expired.   BTW:  If anyone knows who the Vet was, I would like to get in touch with her.  I was so distraught, I did not get her name.  Because of the lateness of the day and the proximity of the transformer pole.  The later (after 4:00p.m.) shows were cancelled.  We did not want to risk another bird landing on the power pole and having the same fate happen.  Despite the pole being insulated for the second weekend.  I was uncomfortable with them landing ANYWHERE on the electrical parts, because if they touch anything and connect, the same thing can happen again.  I've been at Hoggetowne since 1993. 

Again, Thank you!!!

The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill, but man's relationship with his hawk.      --- T.H. White

BLAKDUKE

Kitty

I am so sorry to hear of this.  Your birds are alway a joy to have at faire.

THE BLAKDUKE
King Allyn
Al Kahl
GCRF
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

The Scotsquatch

Our sincere condolences, Kitty.

You and your beautiful birds are a wonderful facet of Hoggetowne, and a beloved asset.  We are so sorry for your loss.

Kevin and Patti
Siege The Day
Kev and Patti
Siege The Day!!!
Obside Diem!!!