News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

sad news-the battle is over-Dirk

Started by mumsies, February 07, 2009, 12:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumsies

With much sadness I pass along the news. I received a call from Kharla. Dirk passed away early this morning. We really don't have much more information at this time. I can't even find words right now but can find some consolation knowing he will be at peace after such a long and painful battle.
Dirk's wishes were that there be no services and no memorial. I am sure Kharla will need all the healing thoughts and prayers that we can send along. I am not sure if she is up to phone calls at this time, you can call Heather, Stacy or myself, and we can pass along to Kharla. If there or people that you know do not read the boards, please let them know.
If we have any more information, we will post it here. Mumsies

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

Thank-you for this update, this is very sad indeed.  I am pleased I was able to meet them this past year @ GLMF.
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Countess Westmorland

Oh.  I am so sad to hear this.  My thoughts are with Kharla.  He will be sorely missed.  He was a true gentleman.  May he rest in peace.
A little song, a little dance, a little rum down your pants!

Scarlett

Bonnie - I had heard the news this morning and was deeply saddened.  I am glad that you posted this so that others may also learn the news.  I am so happy that Morwyn and I visited him in the hospital last month.  He will be dearly missed.
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Syrac

I know that I do not post that often, but when I got the text message this afternoon, I was-and still am-deeply saddened by the passing of Dirk.  It is difficult to find the words to describe a vibrant, kind, cheerful, yet strong, inspiring, and valiant individual whom we have all lost.  His presence was that of a king among men, and I am not ashamed to say that I looked up to him and respected him for his qualities. I have even hoped as my life passes and the ages of this world wear on-I would become someone of his like stature, individuality, and quality. 
In our small corner of the world, we as rennies celebrate life-be it the way it is, or was, or ought to be-and I am proud to have called Dirk my friend and mentor.  I am sad for a great loss to all of us, just like Queen Mum.  For these friends of ours, these people who no longer grace us with their presence is a tragedy for all faire folk.  They are the heart of what we do and under a banner of friendship unite us in a common way, which is not so common at all in this world.  For Kharla and all those close to Dirk I regret that you must suffer his loss.  For those of you who only knew him a little, I regret you did not have more time with him.  For those people like me who looked up to him and respected what he taught about life in a subtle way by being himself, know that your memory will make him immortal.  Again, Regards to family and friends, may you remember him smiling.   
...everyone is in some "here"- and the only thing we can do is try to communicate with one another... -Milosz

Professor M

I can only add that I am one of those people who respected him, enjoyed his company, and wish I could have known him better.  Right now I am very sad, but as time passes, I will remember him with a smile.

Farewell, Dirk.  Be at peace.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

Lady Guinness

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those that are mourning the loss of our dear friend. I wish I could say something beautiful and soothing however my heart is so very heavy. I feel incredibly blessed to have gotten to know him over the last few years....I just do not have the words right now.

kilted one

I did not know Dirk that well, but always was treated with the utmost respect when I did see him and get a chance to speak with him.  I must second the point that he was truly a gentleman of true character.  We can only send our dearest thoughts to his family and remember our times with him with great joy.
....Because it was stapled to the elephant!!!   Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

Morwyn

I don't really have the words - but Kharla - I will remember his smile...'the bell in your pocket' - he will be with us always.

Lady Celynn

Dirk will be truly missed.  I wished I had known him much better but the time I did have showed me that he was not just a gentleman but a gentle man as well.  His strength and kindness will be remembered forever and the Renn faire will be missing a piece of it's heart and soul.  Kharla you have our deepest sympathy and know we're here for you.

Capt. Morgan

Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak whispers the o'er-fraught heart and bids it break.  ~William Shakespeare

Dwyn and I were blessed to have met him and the lovely Kharla during our first trip to Pittsburgh a few years back. He will be missed, but his life will be celebrated....
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

Charity Morgan

Dear Friends...I hope you know that Dirk and I truly consider you our family.  I just made a lengthy post to the other thread about his final days and it includes our mailing address, I would love to hear from you.  Of course I am having a very hard time with this but I will go again this week to have another heart cath so then I will begin to feel better.  Thank you for supporting us through this time.  Thank you for putting up with me when I haven't felt well for so long.  Thank you for help Dirk fight so hard. 

Every little girl should grow up to find the kind of love I have had for the last three wonderful years.  Even with all of the illness and a fire our love was so immense that it made it all ok. 

I would like to nominate Janice/SCARLETT and Deb/MORWYN for official Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival Awards (and as I type this have decided to speak with The Powers That Be!) Their efforts to cheer Dirk were admirable and talked about for weeks.  Thank you Bonnie/Mumsies for always being at the ready and for everything you do; Ann, well you're a hell of a First Mate! :-*; Loma only you would do the wonderful things you think of (I know they seem small to you!) and to each of you...for everything...thanx.

Dirk left a batch of his mead brewing, his friend will clear it for us.  We will have a celebration...when the season is right.  I love you all.
Charity Morgan ~ Morgans Bounty
Purveyor of questionably acquired treasures.

Scotsman

AH friends ...

... let me just say how thankful I am to have gotten to know this Giant of a man. I feel blessed to have called him friend. I will miss his mead. God speed brother.

Charity, whatever you need, we are not far away. Just shout and we are there lass.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

GypsyWriter

I am so sorry to learn of Dirk's passing.  While I did not know him personally, he was certainly a familiar and memorable face when I have visited your faire.  Sad news, indeed.

Kharla, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.
--Colette