News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

In memory of Dirk

Started by anne of oaktower, February 07, 2009, 03:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anne of oaktower

Dirk's obituary, as sent to me by Kharla:

Dr. Dirk A.Romito of Speers, PA, formerly of Canonsburg, passed away Febuary 7, 2009 after a courageous battle with cancer.  Born January 23, 1950 in Charleroi , a son of Lucille Romito and the late Dr. Louis Romito.

Dr. Romito was a Podiatrist in Charleroi for 35 years until his illness in 2008.  Fondly remembered by many as Dr. Dirk, he was also active in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronisms) as a medieval heavy weapons fighter where he was titled The Honorable Lord Ulfr hinn svarti Juzki.  Dr. Romito also acted in movies and was a former model.  He had a passion for renaissance and medieval times and is well known for his role as King Charming or Sir Wulf of the Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival where he served as a Knight in Shining Armor for several years.  He and his wife own and operate Morgan's Bounty Pirate Booth at Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival where his leather and wood crafts are sold.   Dr. Romito was also an accomplished and noted builder of scale model historical war aircraft, examples of his work are displayed in airports and museums.  Dr. Dirk has been a member of several organizations during his lifetime and studied at Georgia Tech, and Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine.

In addition to his mother, he is survived by his loving and devoted wife, Kharla Garner Romito, one son, Dominick Romito of Canonsburg, brothers Louis "Art" of Charleroi and Robert of Washington, nephew Rad and nieces Rayni and Tori.

At the request of the deceased, there will be no memorial service arrangements are being handled by Schrock-Hogan Funeral Home.  Memorial Contributions may be sent to: P. O. Box 75 , Charleroi , PA 15022
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Scarlett

I searched through my photo library and was surprised that I did not have more photos of Dirk.  Of course, this is because  he did not spend as much time in a stationary location (pub) as me and mine. But here's what I could find.  I am glad that at least one of my extended family members (my cousin Karen) had the chance to meet him. 

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i20/jmf061967/Dirk/

Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

anne of oaktower

Wonderful pictures, ladies...thanks for sharing.
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Charity Morgan

For those of you wondering or wanting closure about Dr. Dirk, Sir Wulf, King Charming, THL Ulfr hinn svarti Juzki...

You know he fought a difficult battle; the last months were quite intense.  But without being told when, his old Podiatry School friend called to ask if he could come.  This man is a minister now (with plenty of bad jokes about being a "sole man" since he treats feet and prays with you...) and he has known and loved Dirk like a brother for 36 years.  Somehow, he just knew when it was time.  Dirk spent a great day with Stephen and they prayed.  We had prayed many times.  You have prayed for us too. 

About an hour after Stephen left that day he called to say he got a sign from God and while I was on the phone with him I actually saw a physical change in Dirk.  He went from being able to walk to the table and enjoy his friend that day to never getting out of his bed again.  His vital signs spiked rapidly.  At one point earlier in the evening when I spoke to his doctor we had agreed that it could be any moment so if the violent vomiting continued another hour I should call the ambulance, otherwise Dirk and I preferred to remain at home. 

I stayed by his bed checking vitals every 15 minutes to ½ hour through the night and giving him what I could to fix what I saw happening.  By morning his numbers stabilized but I knew it was too late.  He was aware and talked.  He asked me if he could stay home one more day.  His son was able to come and see him at the house and know in his heart that would be the last time he saw him.  When it was time and his son was strong enough to drive away, his incredible visiting nurse and I called the ambulance and while he was still in the ER his vitals started going.  By the time they got him to his room his bowels became bloody. I talked in his ear for two hours and slept next to his bed until morning (for the first time in two days.)  In the morning I called in his family and he waited an hour more.  I was able to talk to him, he understood me he looked right at me and acknowledged what I was saying with his loving eyes as he took his last gentle breath.

So, consider this.  He won his battle.  The cancer is gone.  There is no more pain.  Of course my heart is broken I am completely numb, and I will never get over the intense feeling of loss...but most people never experience the true love that Dirk and I have, and to have him in your life as well, I hope you feel was a blessing.  He was a gentle and kind man who never mean to hurt anyone, many things in his life were very sad because of other people, he was very emotional and compassionate.  A true king walking among us.

It was his decision not to have the memorial service because he felt it would be for other people.  He felt he was ill for 10 months and there was plenty of time to digest his probable passing.  Some of his ashes will be included in a Viking ceremony at the Pennsic War.  His son and I will handle the remaining ashes later. 

We would welcome your notes at:

Dirk Romito Family
P.O. Box 75
Charleroi, PA 15022

His Obituarry can be viewed at www.schrock-hogan.com

Thank you for your prayers throughout this time.
Blessings,
Kharla
Charity Morgan ~ Morgans Bounty
Purveyor of questionably acquired treasures.

Scotsman

The greatest honor you can bestow upon someone is a memory ... our king will never be gone so long as we carry him with us. I, for one, plan to do just that! Thank you Dirk ... for your friendship, love, compassion and yes, introducing me to mead! The only thing sweeter then that succulent nectar of the God's you produce is the company you keep ... Charity, love you lass!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Terry Griffith

Words cannot convey the emotions that are closest to the heart.  A piece of all of us passed with our friend, Dirk.  That space which was once occupied with his friendship, his charm and grace, his strength and wit, his kindness and generosity, must be filled now with memories.  I'm glad we can share those.  The more we share those memories with each other, the easier it is to fill that space.

Dirk will be with us as long as we keep that space filled.

He was probably the one person that I remembered from my first visits to Morelandshire.  He was a striking man.  I didn't know until a year later that it wasn't just his appearance but his whole demeanor and personality were just as impressive.  Jan and I often spoke of him after our first visit as patrons in 2003.  In 2004 I was a stage act but only for a couple of weekends so we didn't really get to know anyone very well.  Dirk was one of the few that made such an impression that we remembered him but still admired him from a distance.  In 2005, I was sick during the fare season and still didn't interact much with anyone but he smiled that smile and nodded and we felt like we were known by someone and acknowledged.  In 2006, well you all know we were all lost.  In 2007, I was hired for the whole season and dear Kharla met us in the South Hills Village parking lot to give us material for the promotion at Twin Lakes.  That was really the first time we talked to Dirk.  As soon as we were alone in the car, Jan said, "Did you recognise that guy?  He was that very striking man in the armor."

Jan became part of the cast that year and Dirk took her under his wing because she was having problems walking and they pretty mush looked out for each other.  That's when we found out that he was much more than just an impressive visage.  His kindness to both of us made us realize what the renaissance fare was all about.  It's about sharing an experience that was outside the realm of "mundane" with friends who care about each other.  That sharing experience has become a way of life now.

I wish I could have shared it with him a lot more.  I wish I could have returned the favor, the friendship and the love of fare more often with him.  That empty feeling of missed good times should teach us all that we must not miss a moment with each other.

Let's remember Dirk together as often as possible.  I know Jan and I will never forget him and the experience he taught us.

Kharla, our thoughts are forever with you. 
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Kip

I'm going to miss Dirk. The first time I saw him was the first time I went to the Festival back in 98 or 99.  I called him the shinny knight. As the years passed during fair I got to know him a little more each year. But I really got to know him when he joined cast. I was going to use the treasure chest he made me as a prop this year.  But I will not let anything happen to it now.  It means so much more to me that his hands and mind made it for me. I look at the chest now in a different way. Thank you Dirk for being apart of my life.

chriscat53

Until this very moment, because I don't know you all very well, I did not think that I knew Dr. Dirk. Because I didn't know he was a doctor. And now I find that he is the doctor I met on a day at the Fair when hardly anyone else talked to me. He sought me out and we talked at length and I was always so impressed at how absolutely perfect and wonderful he looked. More than anyone else he put me in the period, and then on top of it was so friendly and gentlemanly and a beautiful person. How lucky you all were to know him so much better. He was a perfect knight with all the qualities too. He was marvelous in our eyes. And the love you all have for each other is also a glorious blessing that especially shines when you gather around to comfort one another in travail.

Charity Morgan

Quote from: chriscat53 on February 17, 2009, 07:10:56 PM
Until this very moment, because I don't know you all very well, I did not think that I knew Dr. Dirk. Because I didn't know he was a doctor. And now I find that he is the doctor I met on a day at the Fair when hardly anyone else talked to me. He sought me out and we talked at length and I was always so impressed at how absolutely perfect and wonderful he looked. More than anyone else he put me in the period, and then on top of it was so friendly and gentlemanly and a beautiful person. How lucky you all were to know him so much better. He was a perfect knight with all the qualities too. He was marvelous in our eyes. And the love you all have for each other is also a glorious blessing that especially shines when you gather around to comfort one another in travail.

So many people said so many sweet, wonderful, kind things, here, in cards, on the phone, emails...whatever.  I chose this last post here to quote because SILLY CHRISCAT...thinks she didn't know us well...yet as I reminded her in a recent email - she donated clothes and boots and things to me when I had my fire in 2006 - hers happened to be the one box I got the address from so I knew what she gave - I was KHRONEY then and sure my character and my look and my job at fair has changed several times....and sure several of you did not know my husband was a doctor (hell I didn't know that when he asked me out!) and maybe you knew him as a Squire known as ULFR from the SCA or the handsome Knight who melted every heart that walked by one of the booths he hawked for over the years...or maybe you saw him on the billboards or remember him from cast together on a local movie, maybe he was Sir Wulf to you or King Charming or he played your uncle or father or brother in arms...but most knew him and loved him.  (and ChrisCat...we looked over your photos together in 2006 when I worked for the festival, he LOVED your costuming and remembered you well!!!) 
     Thank all of you again...we may not all be close, but we are indeed a family.  I do not know that I can get to ren stock this weekend.  But please know Wulf and his Widow are there with you in spirit as you raise your glasses.  I want to remind you - 2005 we almost did not meet here again.  2008 when I sang that song from my steps and you saw me crying I knew he would not be back to join us together there the same way...YET he will NEVER leave that shire.  It is our home and we are a family.  Thank you cousins. 
Kharla
Charity Morgan ~ Widow Wulf

chriscat53

I have been away from my computer for 10 days although I have gotten some texts, but have not been able to consistently respond. I wanted to respond to your email Kharla but somehow deleted messages from my Blackberry and couldn't retrieve your email address. I read your email while on the road in Florida and you are right. I didn't know you when I sent the box, only that I had some of the right size of clothing. Thus your email gave me that feeling that I get, the adrenaline that goes from head to toe-the close encounter feeling when life events transcend what we think is reality. I guess on some level I believe that our communities of choice are not new ones and that we are just journeying together in different ways in different eras working out who we are with each other in order to go to the next place more fully human and more intensely spiritual.
      Maybe when you have some time, we may meet up. You may need to re-send your email because I am working off of the Comcast website and don't know how to view older emails. It may be on my home computer though.
      I hope that the new plans for the Faire include some beautiful gardens like the ones at GLMFand that we might then propose a lasting lifesize tribute to Dr. Dirk and the spirit of the Faire. Can you see it? The kids could still get their pictures taken with the Renaissance Knight in a beautiful flower garden with fountains and ponds. And perhaps a stone marker to remind people of the kindness and gentility and civility and loyalty and courage that knighthood was really about.

Terry Griffith

In responce to those who asked for the words to the song Syrak and I played at Winter Renstock for Dirk:

Song of Sir Wulf

Noble and true was a man that I knew.
His story will live on forever.
So strong and yet kind as you ever would find.
His visage we'll forget never.

With a smile and a nod he appeared like a god
With dark eyes that could see right through you.
The charm that he had would make you feel glad
When all your friends saw he knew you.

Oh, the King that charmed the kingdom
With good deeds and the friends that he made.
We'll sing of his legend forever,
And never let his memory fade.

The nectar he'd brew, shared with more than a few,
And friendship was part of the flavor.
The legends are true.  If he shared it with you,
Each drop was something to savor.

Part pirate, and high king,  physician and Viking.
But above all a I called him friend.
In the good times we share, we'll remember him there.
In his honor we share them again.

Oh, the King that charmed the kingdom
With good deeds and the friends that he made.
We'll sing of his legend forever,
And never let his memory fade.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Charity Morgan

Terry...I can not begin to thank you enough.  I am hopeful that Dirk's mother and son will have a chance to hear you song.  Kitti - thank you for ALWAYS supporting me in every role, as I do you.  Scarlett and Morwyn...is that a bell in your pocket?!  I could go on and on...it was a GEM of a night (did you belches catch that?!)  but I will just put excerpts from my other post in to this thread...because it will probably continue.  I love you all, and Dirk loved you as well.
Holy Ravioli that was some night.  I was very nervous to go but THANK YOU EVERYONE, it was difficult, but I did it!  On behalf of the Hogans - Joe and Dave as well as Mother Hogan (and Father who we never get to see!)  Sister Lynn and our sweet little Angel...I am sure they are as moved by the incredible support from all of you as I am, and so I offer a huge heartfelt THANK YOU.  My husband was clearly loved by many many people.  Several said they did not realize it was him who passed away until they saw the memorial photos.  Many spoke of his influence or the impression he made on them, thank you for helping me deal with this very difficult time, and thank you for keeping his memory alive, as I know we all will.  This season as we enter that Castle Gate...Sir Wulf King Charming and Queen Mum will be together in the procession with us.  (she referred to him as Doctor Yummy!).  Far too many special people worked hard to make that night so special for me to list here.  Terry, I can't wait to hear that song again more closely.  Mumsies and Annie girl - you rocked working together - and to each of you...for sharing and caring...I hope you can imagine how very much all of this means to me, and I'm sure to the Hogans as well.  SEE YOU AT FAIRE.  (PS: you don't think that ring was the ONLY thing he thought of do you?!)
Kharla Garner Romito
Khroney MeadOWtea

Drusilia

I am so sorry to hear about Dirk's passing!

He was one of the few people that I can remember from the festival each and every year that I worked or attended it. I always thought that he had the best costumes.

He will truly be missed.

All my best,

~*Dru
I am living in this world but living life as if it were a dream, yet what happens when in living a dream, it bleeds?

Charity Morgan

Quote from: Drusilia on March 13, 2009, 05:56:18 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Dirk's passing!

He was one of the few people that I can remember from the festival each and every year that I worked or attended it. I always thought that he had the best costumes.

He will truly be missed.

All my best,

~*Dru
Thank you Dru!  Good to hear from you! 
Charity Morgan
MKA Kharla

Charity Morgan

The Kennywood movie ADVENTURELAND is out and Dirk was filmed in 3 outfits of clothing (look for his hair!!)... if any of you see the movie and notice him will you email me and let me know the scenes?  Since he passed away I am not in contact with his agent so I don't know if his scenes made it in or not.  Thanx.
Kharla

Scotsman

Just a heads up, Lady Guinness and I got the new Renaissance Festival magazine with Dirk's memorial ad in it. Charity I got your copy. If anyone else would like a copy please let me or Black Fox know. We will both be going to GLMF and will happily bring it to you.
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Captain Fortune

Can you save one for me as well Scotsman. As of right now I will be there to open GLMF.

Thanks and can't wait to see you guys.

Wind in your sails.
A Pirate's Life for Me.

Charity Morgan

Greetings Cousins!
     It is four months since Dirk's passing.  Wanted to mention a few things... huge appreciation being foremost for everything that you as my family have done to honor and remember him. 
     Porter and Stout have released their new CD with a dedication to the memory of Dirk.  You can obviously obtain it online at their website www.porterstout.com or buy it directly from Jenny at GLMF or at our home faire.  I will also keep a supply at the booth.  This one is Dreadnaughts & Derelicts and has several wonderful traditional tracks!
    Also, great thanks to Scotsman and Black Fox for the memorial in Renaissance Festival magazine!
    As for a memorial service... Dirk had talked with me about what he wanted and we will be holding a full traditional viking ship burning ceremony at Pennsic War complete with bards and mead and a Kingdom wide feast.  Anyone attending Pennsic please be sure to join us!  Also, I will be talking further  about a memorial at Pittsburgh Ren Fest which will also include honor and tribute for our beloved Ric Bertolo who passed away last week following a motorcycle accident. 

metalcelt

The pic inside the CD is a great pic of Dirk. Due to a slight problem with the folks who make the CD's I have in my hands two extra copies of the CD jackets. The CD's don't work, but if you want a copy of the pic of Dirk I will happily pass it along to you.

Charity Morgan

Just back from Pennsic war where we held the memorial wake that Dirk requested.  I know that many of you wished you could be there and in spirit you were.  It was an incredible evening at the royal encampment with several of his war band, his favorite Baron, Their Majesties, Their Highnesses, lots of friends and war family, his son, and incredibly his consort Lady K who braved the war and encampment like the best of them.  Dirk made his own mead for the occasion and a display of some of his viking items and photos were available during the wonderful feast.  Then (a separate evening... too much drinking for one night!) his ashes, shield and other tokens were included in a traditional viking ship burning on the lake which was then completed fully to ash on a campfire surrounded by bardic tales.  Vivat and Huzzah, Ulfr hinn svarti Juzki, Sir Wulf, King Charming. 
Yours in Service,
Charity Morgan
Widow Wulf
Kharla

Rellspire

I want to start out by giving my sympathy to everyone that knew him.  I personally did not.  I mean I recognized him to see him, and spent the last how many years at fair trying to get a decent picture of him.  It was like he always knew when I was trying to take a picture and turned his head at the last second, that or something went wrong with the camera.  It had actually turned into a joke between my friend and I, to us he was the knight you couldn't take pictures of.  Haha I think I even saw him last year at Waldameer Park.  But until I described him as the Picture Impossible knight she had no clue who I was talking about.  It was I think more fun TRYING to get a picture than if I'd actually succeeded. I'm saddened that the game won't continue this year. He was one of the constants of the faire.  One of the guys that as soon as you saw him you knew that you were home.   He will be greatly missed, both by those that knew him, and even by some that didn't :'(
Don't make me get my whip!