News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Already anxious

Started by TKM, February 10, 2009, 11:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKM

Yeah, I know. I'm just another crazy KC rennie who, already this early in the year, just can't wait for KC renfest to start. This premature springlike weather has got me thinking, though. I know KCRF has, for as long as anyone can remember, ran from labor day weekend to coluimbus day, but should it really happen during those blazing summer months? I mean, kids are already back in school by that time so it's not like they're picking a time most opportunistically for attracting patrons. I've always wished the fair would run right dead in the middle of autumn. That would be beautiful. Or spring, of course, would be great. Who else wouldn't complain if they changed the time of year the faire ran?

Cormac

Don't lamet the late start of the faire in KC.  Just go to OKRF at Muskogee in May, followed by STL over Memorial day, take June and July off to build up your war chest, and then hit Bristol in August.  That should have you fit and ready for KCRF for a couple of weekends or more.

kcdcchef

anyone at kcrf for closing monday last year froze to death in that rain just like i did. i oughta know, there were like 50 of us left at 6. it was damned cold.

generally, kcrf gets perfect weather the last 4 weekends, and scorching hot weather the first 3. sometimes all 7 are perfect. kc weather is so fickle, that going later may be a bad thing. i wish they would go til the end of october and do the final 2 weekends like the pennsylvania renfaire, a spooky daze and knights theme type of thing.

oh well, no need to torch success either, the kcrf traditionally ranks in the top or so faires in attendance despite having one of the shorter runs. example, the pennsylvania renaissance faire, draws less, starts 4 weeks earlier and goes 2 weeks longer. and it draws LESS!!!

Doc Tyma

the same complaints are lobbied regarding the weather at MNRF.  Eh, what can you do?  That's why we wear layers, right?
--
Doc Tyma (but Adam is fine, too ;-)
Devious little wandering professor of symbols and signs

TKM

actually, KCRF starts so early into the summer those who dress in garb are always dying the first few weekends, until it starts raining. If you ask me, I just think a renfest and crisp autumn air were made for each other.

Doc Tyma

I would agree.  Start at about 40, climb to about 60, then drop back.  Makes for excellent sleeping weather as well.

Speaking of that - are there campgrounds available for people that are non-cast to use at KCRF? 
--
Doc Tyma (but Adam is fine, too ;-)
Devious little wandering professor of symbols and signs

TKM

I wouldn't know. I live so close to the fairgrounds I can practically walk there, so I've never used anything like that. They might say so at www.kcrenfest.com. I'll help find out for you, too.

Looking at their site, I only see a couple campgrounds listed, outside of the fairgrounds and privately owned. They're all nearby, but I don't think KCRF actually sets up anything like that.

I'd love it if there was a fairegrounds somewhere that had an old renaissance inn within its vicinity you could stay at. I've always thought of starting my own renaissance/fantasy faire with cool stuff like that if i ever get filthy rich.

kcdcchef

Quote from: Doc Tyma on March 01, 2009, 01:34:47 AM
I would agree.  Start at about 40, climb to about 60, then drop back.  Makes for excellent sleeping weather as well.

Speaking of that - are there campgrounds available for people that are non-cast to use at KCRF? 

nope, none. sad, they need to do stuff like that. but plenty nearby. if you go to their webpage you can find several within about 15 minutes, not a big hassle. the feel of the kcrf is totally down home, with the faire being built into the hills and landscape, the dirt lanes, totally homely feel, but no camping like other faires nearby. i would talk to the maestro, (jim) or the gm ( carrie shoptaw ) i bet there are those who camp in the lots outside the faire off and on, and are allowed to do so.

Amyj

We typically camp at Cottonwood Campground; a mile from the fairegrounds.  It's south of 70 on K7 (the first Left once you get on K7).  The are really nice and very accomidating to us rennies.  Reserve now though if you want an RV pad, otherwise it's first come first serve tenting in the field.  And watch NASCAR weekends, that place gets CROWDED when the race fans are in town (although, we have been 2 times on a NASCAR weekend, and if you get there Thursday night, you should be fine.)

(Just checked, NASCAR is at Kansas Speedway 10/2 - 10/4)
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

kcdcchef

Quote from: Amyj on March 03, 2009, 06:43:02 AM
We typically camp at Cottonwood Campground; a mile from the fairegrounds.  It's south of 70 on K7 (the first Left once you get on K7).  The are really nice and very accomidating to us rennies.  Reserve now though if you want an RV pad, otherwise it's first come first serve tenting in the field.  And watch NASCAR weekends, that place gets CROWDED when the race fans are in town (although, we have been 2 times on a NASCAR weekend, and if you get there Thursday night, you should be fine.)

(Just checked, NASCAR is at Kansas Speedway 10/2 - 10/4)

now i know which weekend to avoid for my visit this fall!!!!

TKM

i despise the races. And, you can hear those damned cars all the way from the fairegrounds when they're going on.

Amyj

That's true...although the two times we went during the races were actually quite bearable.  We've even made a few converts.  The first time we were there race weekend we got a whole group from WI to blow off time trials for faire once they saw us in garb (the breakfast beers might have helped too...)

I would say that you don't have to AVOID it...actually 2 years ago, with gas prices so high, the campground wasn't too crowded...plus they have PLENTY of room for everyone.
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

Feline Groovy

The biggest problem I encountered last time I hit KCRF on race weekend was the oh-so-helpful traffic guide that steered all of the exiting faire traffic right -- away from the interstate -- which sent us right into the exiting race traffic.  *facepalm*  The day itself was lovely.  The hour-plus or so in the car afterwards just to get barely into the fringes of KC, well, was great conversation time but not much else.   :)
Where was I going and how do I get there?

kcdcchef

Quote from: Feline Groovy on March 07, 2009, 07:44:32 AM
The biggest problem I encountered last time I hit KCRF on race weekend was the oh-so-helpful traffic guide that steered all of the exiting faire traffic right -- away from the interstate -- which sent us right into the exiting race traffic.  *facepalm*  The day itself was lovely.  The hour-plus or so in the car afterwards just to get barely into the fringes of KC, well, was great conversation time but not much else.   :)

i have come to the conclusion they did this intentionally. we were there in 2007 on a race weekend, and they herd you into the legends shopping area. now, not only do i totally despise and hate suburban shopping sprawl, i have zero interest in going to shop at a shopping area that is identical to about 100 other suburban shopping areas in the kc metro area. no thanks. and i think they do it on purpose to ensure you go through the legends at village west to get you to get ticked off at traffic and hang out. i totally think it is intentional.

and like you FG, my day was awesome at faiire. it was 60 and breezy the whole day, i was in heaven. then i had to tolerate driving through the legends.

hey, am i the only one excited about faire with this weather? i hate warm weather in march, too early for it, winter is supposed to be cold, but this weather makes me think of spending a lazy day at the KCRF!!

Feline Groovy

Looks like we were in the same traffic at the same time -- '07 was the year in question for me, too.  I wasn't able to make it to KCRF in '08.  Missed it, hope to be able to hit it up again this year.  Preferably on a non-race weekend.   ::)
Where was I going and how do I get there?