News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

RSS Feed

Started by Artemisia, February 12, 2009, 11:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemisia

Does this site have a rss feed url?

If so, how do I get it to only show a certain forum? For example, only the feed for:
RenaissanceFestival.com Forums > Faire Garb > Sewing

Thanks.
Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Tom

I've added a RSS system, it's usable now down to the child board level but not to individual threads.
Thanks,

Tom

A.K.A. - Lady Serenas husband

majikboxman

Why is rss needed here ?  Is the rss going to feed all of my posts across the intra-web ? :-\  If so... why ?  If so... how can I turn off the feeds for my postings ?
This Space For Rent

Tom

RSS is resquest based. It's for people that want to be updated on forums they wish to monitor. It does not "feed" to the internet but rather is pulled by users. For more information on how RSS works you can read this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format). There is no way to turn feeds off for individual threads or posts but I would like to note that this is really less invasive than the various bots that crawl the forum for the search engines as RSS alerts have to be requested.

Tom

PS - RSS has always been enabled on this site, I just added the forum links to make it easier to use.
Thanks,

Tom

Blushing

Thanks!  I've only recently been introduced to RSS feeds, it's a quick way to keep tabs on my favorite forums.  =)
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

majikboxman

Thanks for the 411 and the linky-winky.  I've not had any experience with rss.

I can see how it can be useful for uploading 1 thing to different online sources at once 'like when blogging', but other then that I can't see any other usefulness. 

I don't like it as it gives some unknown person the oppertunity to keep tabs on someone else.  Gives me a creped out feeling.  I personally feel that anything that allows someone else keep tabs on me is invasive.  When at home, at-least I know I can close the blinds 'or go outside to kick some @ss' if someone is watching me through a window.  Can't do that online however.
This Space For Rent

Artemisia

Thanks Tom.

But can you humor my ignorance and post the actual url? I'm dumb like that.
Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Tom

It depends on what section you want the RSS for. The links change by board. You can right click on the little RSS icon and select copy shortcut and then paste it where you need it.
Thanks,

Tom

Artemisia

The icon! I had no idea that was it. Danke very much.
Artemisia Moltabocca