News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sonora Celtic Faire

Started by NorthBayDreamer, February 12, 2009, 09:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainshot

We had a blast as well!  my family and I spent the majority of our time at our encampment at the Viking household, where we reveled with much ale, great comradeship, outrageous songs and tales all through the night. Of course we did managed to slip in a few visits to the shows as well as the vendors from time to time in between.
  Unfortunately we did not get to meet some of you out there when we arrived at the appointed time at the whiskey tasting area as no one was there.  But we did however managed to run into NorthBayDreamer and his friends when they came by our camp.  By the way NorthBay, I wanted to let you know that it was great to meet you and would like to also convey how wonderful your traveling companions were as well.   ;D
  Here's to meeting up with you again as well as hopefully the other people in this forum at another event real soon!

Merry

I am sad I didn't get to the meet up as well.  We were assigned gate duty at 11 so I was busy:(  But if any of you stopped by the pill near the Dauntless with all the herbs, My Ladye's Stillroom, that was us.  We were quite busy making posey's for those who suffered from unwashed doublets and other smelly things:)  We also enjoyed our Signature Treasure Hunt gig with the little ones.
that's me bottom right

NorthBayDreamer

It was my screw up that I missed the meet up , sorry about that.  I have a great time.  I am working on a trip report, it is about 1/2 done.  It will get it posted ASAP.
Lord Lisle (when a Nobel)
Horndog (when a Pirate)
Master Thomas Boddinham (when a middle)
Landshark No. 67

callalilly

missed this faire this year :(

Hoowil

2010's trip to Sonora is this next weekend! This'll be the first full season for our son, and Sonora is always a hit with my daughter who loves the pipes. We're planning on staying in Angels Camp Friday and Saturday night, and spending as much time as humanly/childrenly possible there on Saturday. Here's to hoping for not rain! Snow, cold, warm, windy, whatever, I can handle, but rain would be a bother for the little ones.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

NorthBayDreamer

We will be there Saturday.  Was not able to commit until a few days ago.  We did get a hotel room for Saturday, but at this point only going to faire on Saturday.
Horndog (when a Pirate)
Landshark No. 67

Hoowil

Well, better late than never I guess.
We left Sacramento Friday afternoon, and were in Angels Camp for the weekend. Things got a little mixed up, lost, or outgrown for garb for the kidlets, so I spent probably too much time sewing, and we had a late start Saturday morning.
Thankfully, the torrential downpour of rain that hit Friday night cleared well before dawn, and we had a clear, beautiful day for faire. Although, I do think this was the first time I've actually heard people complain about being cold at a faire. With the sun out, the cold wasn't too bad, except when the wind blew, which was a little too often. Especially as the sun started going down. We ended up heading out because the cold was getting too much for the kids to handle.
When we first got there, we missed being able to park in the lot right there at the grounds by one car, and I swear I saw a few empty spaces from the entrance. My wife ended up dropping the kids and I off at the gate, while she waited for a text message telling her where the shuttle pickup was.
While we waited, the kids and I visited the wolfhounds, and then watched court for a while. People were lining up to meet the queen. Amara walked right in, and started talking to a couple of the court members like she belonged there. In fact some of the folks thought she did belong there. I stood off to one side with Tristan in the stroller, watching as Amara talked with one of the lords and a couple of the ladies of the court. When Amara turned to come out, one of the ladies followed her, to make sure she was mine. Everyone thought she was a cast kid, who had been dropped at court while her parents got ready.
We ended up catching most of a set from Need Fire, where Amara was the only one dancing for most of it. It was kind of cute, and a little sad, that the band made sure to thank the tiny dancer for coming out on the floor. The stands, and the floor filled up pretty quick when it was time for the Wicked Tinkers though. We sat through most of their set too, but headed out a bit early, to beat the masses, and because Amara wanted to be be a little more rambunctious than the crowd let us feel comfortable.
It was the only real time we ran into a crowd, even at the food court (where, despite the wind and cold, Amara insisted on getting an ice cream cone, even instead of getting a trinket or her face painted). I wonder if the cold and perceived rain kept some people away.
We spent most of the rest of our day wandering, catching songs here and there, and checking out vendors, and trying to get Amara interested int he storyteller.
We saw Dreamer and his wife a few times, usually surrounded by masses of people, and only really got the chance to stop and say hi on our way out. In fact, I'd like to apologize for not introducing myself when we did stop by. So, if you didn't know who it was that came up with the little ones, it was my wife and I. Thanks for the coin for Amara, she loves it and calls it her little coiny. She played with it most of the trip home, to the point of breaking into tears if she dropped it (even in the car).
I'm not much of one for taking pictures (when I remember to), but I'll try to get the few ones I took up soon.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Lady Toadflinger

Huzzah! It is time for the Sonora Celtic Faire again! Today I just picked up my discount tickets at the Celtic Knot in Jackson. I can't wait to enjoy Wicked Tinkers and Tempest.  I am also looking forward to seeing Lord Rusty in all of his kilted and stilted glory. (love those hairy stilts) Is anyone else from these forums going to be there on Saturday? How about you Horndog,er,Northbay Dreamer? Maybe Hoowil or Merry? Shall we try a meetup? Let's hear it for the Sonora Celtic Faire and Jousting Championship 2011! (they lay claim to real competition jousting this year)
keeper of the royal menagerie

NorthBayDreamer

Ah yes, we will be there for the whole weekend.  We will be working the front gate for a bit.  I think 11:30-1:30 will be our shift, but other than that we should be free to roam.  our first faire of the season. :))
Horndog (when a Pirate)
Landshark No. 67

chainshot

We will also be there with our Viking household as well.  Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Lady Toadflinger

We will see you then! I'm bringing Molly and Irish as well. (in Celtic garb, not Pirate this time)

Mandrake Von Sets

While I'll be there in spirit (my guild will still be there - look for a trebuchet), please think about giving a donation for RJ Parson (of "Out of Kontrol") to Tina at the New Stirling Arms booth.  RJ has been in a hospital in Tucson, AZ. for some serious issues.

http://www.paparaja.com/
Wil

Lady Toadflinger

Wildabeast, I am just stunned by this news!  I cannot tell you how many times I have enjoyed Out of Kontrol at local faires.  I was just thinking how I missed them.  I will certainly stop at the booth and give a donation. After all, I would rather help out than buy another trinket or treat for myself at the faire.

Mandrake Von Sets

The 2012 version is right around the corner (as in next weekend), and I will actually be there. 
Wil

NorthBayDreamer

Indeed.  We shall also be there, working the front gate this time.
Horndog (when a Pirate)
Landshark No. 67