News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Amtgard

Started by Lady Rosaline, February 24, 2009, 09:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rosaline

I've heard people talking about Amtgard and after a bit of googling I have found that there is a group somewhat close to me. But I haven't heard too much about what it is exactly, what they do, common purpose, etc. Could some one shed some light on this for me? Thanks!!
I'm the reason the rum is gone! (Unless Teach is near by!)

DonaCatalina

http://www.amtgardinc.com/

Amtgard is a live-action fantasy roleplaying and boffer combat game primarily based in the United States as well as other countries. We've known people who played Amtgard, but mostly we haven't been too interested
because they are 99% combat oriented.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Trillium

Amtgard is a live action roleplaying group, similar to SCA.  However, they require more padding on weapons and are not as strict as to period garb and such.  All they ask is that you make an attempt at garb.  They are also much more accepting and open to fantasy and magical creatures/personas.  Every park has a slightly different flare but there is a nationwide rulebook.  They are fairly combat oriented, but do have groups and awards for bardic, garbing and other artistic items.
We played for several years, even helped start up the Galveston park, before stopping due to schedule conflicts and real life taking over.  We still attend some of the large gatherings as vendors but actively participate.  (I believe Texas has the largest amount of amtgarders in the country and has 3 kingdoms in it.)
Got faerie dust?

Tammy

You should check out this movie...
http://www.rolemodelsmovie.com/

There is a kid into live action role playing (not sure if it's Amtgard per se), and it's SO fun to watch!!
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Pipere

An associate tried to get me into Amtgard, but I wasn't too keen on it. The only stress on Roleplaying is put upon persona names and combat role- other than that it's basically getting together with some mates in a park and beating the ever-loving tar out of each other.

And sorry Amtgard folk present, this is what happened to me... it also reminded me that I have low running endurance.
Margraffin Katya Ghuttzout- Vulgarian overlady
Balquis al-Quasim- Turkish assassin
& the lazy college student Jeni

jcbanner

I would want to join one of these groups, but everytime I really think about it, I can't help but laugh because the people take it so very seriously, but when you get down to it, they are typically grown adults running around smacking each other with over sized "swords" and "axes" made from PvC, foam and ducktape.

If its not steal, leather and wood, its not worth it

Indigo

Quote from: jcbanner on March 02, 2009, 01:24:20 AM
I would want to join one of these groups, but everytime I really think about it, I can't help but laugh because the people take it so very seriously, but when you get down to it, they are typically grown adults running around smacking each other with over sized "swords" and "axes" made from PvC, foam and ducktape.

Aye, they use pvc, foam, etc, but in one of their jugging games at Central Texas Ren faire a few weeks ago, I saw a sprained ankle, a concussion, and various scrapes/cuts. There were definitely no slackers playing and it was not a game for the timid. I thoroughly enjoyed it, best entertainment I've seen in faire in ages. Plus, they're a great bunch of people.
Andi/Indigo

Trillium

I enjoyed amtgard because I got a great workout, great stress relief, and usually didn't have to worry about going to work covered in bruises.  However, at spring war 2 years ago I saw someone taken to the hospital by ambulance for a broken leg and another for a concussion.  It can get rough. 
And yes, for the most part, they are a great group of people!
Got faerie dust?

captmarga

Quote from: jcbanner on March 02, 2009, 01:24:20 AM

Steel and leather are fun, but end up with more injuries.  I have not stayed active in SCA because of the fighter policies (basically, if you want to be Duke, you win all your fights...)

Amtgard was a good alternative.  Curran and I still have our Amtgard weapons - the ones WE made.  We laughed when Safer swords were being sold.  We have half a dozen or more.

We only stopped playing when I got pregnant with Mischief, and after that we never really had time to go back.  I was Regent for one session at Midnight Sun. 

There are days when I miss it, and others I don't.  I got plenty of bruises, myself.

Capt. Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc