News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New Interactive story - The Woodland Road

Started by DonaCatalina, February 26, 2009, 07:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

Rob and Lucinda jarred along in the ill-sprung wagon while their older brother Daniel rode his bay horse alongside. The early morning drizzle had faded to a fine mist that chilled the early spring air. The oilcloth covering of the wagon kept the two siblings and their servants drier than their brother's felt hat and leather cape kept him. At the outset of their journey, Daniel had insisted that his almost twenty years entitled him to ride. Now he wondered if he would have been better off, and drier, in the wagon. Along this way, the trees were clustered so thickly that it was known as the Woodland Road. Unluckily Daniel had thought that the canopy of leaves would protect him from the rain. He comforted himself with the idea that his guards thought better of him for sharing their misery. He certainly had no other reason to ride in the rain. The five guardsmen who rode with the small caravan certainly provided all the protection that they needed. He glanced back at the second wagon that held their personal baggage as well as other supplies.

Both he and the eighteen year old Rob had been summoned home for their parent's funeral. Lucinda had barely survived the fever that had carried off both father and mother during the winter. It was a blow that the oldest boy bore stoically. Being two years away from his majority meant that Daniel had inherited his father's title, but he and his brother and sister were now under the guardianship of their uncle. A decade had passed since they had last seen their father's younger brother. Daniel was the only one old enough to have a clear recollection of the man. There was nothing remarkable to remember about the man other than his resemblance to his brother, the baron. They had shared the same dark hair and green-hazel eyes. Daniel had inherited these same features, while the younger ones resembled their mother. Both had the same fine sandy blonde hair and pale blue eyes. In fact, so closely did they resemble each other that Rob and Lucinda often were mistaken to be twins.

The manor house where their uncle lived was a five day journey by wagon. Just a few miles down the road waited the village of Goosemeade. Daniel had always wondered at the unprepossessing name, but none of them had ever laid eyes on the place. The castle in which they had been born had always been the center of activity for the barony. Spring fairs and autumn fairs had filled the village square with a panorama of color and music when viewed from the battlements. Not for the first time, Daniel wondered if the fairs would continue in their absence. Then a sense of shame niggled at his conscience that he should have been concerned about a fair while he still mourned his parents. A trickle of rain found its way down the back of Daniel's neck and distracted his thoughts. The men-at-arms who rode around him maintained a glum silence. There was a distinct possibility that they would be released from service by the children's uncle and guardian. For them, these changes might mean loss of home as well as loss of their master. A beam of sunlight pierced the clouds and painted a pool of gold on the sodden roadway. For a moment this lightened the hearts of the group.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Christina de Pond

Lucinda watched Rob for a few minutes her brother who was usually full of life was silent and Lucinda knew Rob was greiving deeply for thier parents. Just as well as she knew how much Daniel must be grieving too. Even if they were going to live with thier uncle Lucinda felt it was her job to take care of them. after all they were all the family she had left.
Lucinda wondered what thier uncle would be like would he be nice or vengefull? All Lucinda could get out of Daniel was that thier uncle had looked a lot like thier father which ment he resembled Daniel.
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Tremayne

Miles waited patiently for the small caravan to reach the ambush site. It had been a year since they had engaged in banditry, yet his men were as sharp and confident as ever. They seemed glad to be back in action. Miles was not. He had thought he was done with this life once he'd made enough to buy a holding. But the land had not been generous and barely supported himself and his men. None of them were natural farmers, nor was he himself. Nor had his father been. Except for luck, he had much in common with the youngsters he was about to disturb. He had been a motherless lordling whose dissolute father had died just as he was coming into manhood. Though a lord, his father had left him nothing but debts he could not pay and so he lost the estate. He'd had no relatives willing to take him in. His father had alienated all of them in one way or another. His only luck had been the guardsmen who had stuck by him. One had known the art of theiving from earlier in his life, and so the group had robbed nobles in various ways, most often by an ambush on this road. They had developed a reputation of stealth, speed and efficiency among the underhanded that disturbed Miles. He had always tried to excel in anything he tried but he'd never wanted to be known as a superior thief. On occasion someone had tried to hire them for some dirty deed and he had always turned them down. But this time the pay was higher and he saw the opportunity to give up this cursed land that seemed to bring him no good. His sister, Cressida, had developed the coughing sickness. This money would allow him to move to a southerly climate that he had heard was easier on consumptives. The contract was to kidnap the girl of this family and keep her unharmed until a ransom was paid. He didn't like it. He normally wouldn't have bothered such a small sad group. But the money would allow him to start a new life in a new place where he had no reputation--good or bad--and perhaps save his sister's life.
I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw. --Shakespeare via Hamlet.

Lady Amy of York

Cressida  sat by  the  camp fire, waiting  for  Miles  and  the  others  to return.  He  did not   say  where he  and the others were going. He  did  not have  to. She knew  by  the look on their  faces  and  the  way  they rode  out of  camp, that they  there were off  to another  day of  theiving.  She  did not approve of  her brother's  doings, and  she  often felt  she  was  to blame.   She knew  he  was  trying  to make  enough  money  to take  care of  her.   Now  as  she  sat  alone  by  the  fire  she  could  not  help  thinking if   Miles  would  be  better off  if  she  was  not  alive,  but  then she  came  to her senses, and  realized  that Miles   needed  her in his  life.   She  began  to cough and  shiver.    The  rain and  dampness  were not helping her cough.  She  pulled  her  cloak,  and   the old  wool  horse blanket  around  here  and  huddled  against  the  tree, trying to keep  warm.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

DonaCatalina

Daniel happened to look forward just as Wat raised his hand to signal a stop. The Welshman had come into the old Baron's service a decade previously under sentence for poaching in the royal park. With no explanation given, he had remained in service even after his seven year sentence had ended. Daniel edged his horse up beside the silent man.

"You Excellency" Wat whispered "Listen and tell me what you hear."

For the briefest of moments Daniel started to look for his father before he realized that the armsman had meant him.

He whispered back to Wat "I hear nothing. What do you hear?"

The Welshman replied "I hear nothing and that is what bothers me. All day we have startled birds and small animals from our path. Here, something has already startled them."

With one smooth motion he pulled his bow from his shoulder and notched an arrow. Thoroughly alarmed, Daniel loosened his sword in the scabbard and looked around for signs of movement. The slight whistle of a passing arrow in the silent was the only warning he received before he ducked. Wat sped his arrow away and was rewarded when a man pitched headfirst from the brush. A horse screamed behind Daniel and as the rider-less beast careened past he saw the arrow embedded in its flank. An undulating scream came from the rear wagon when an arrow pierced the leather covering. Two of the other guards engaged three men who attempted to pull them from their horses. Using his horse, the Welshman tried to position Daniel behind him and against the front wagon. Daniel gritted his teeth and backed his mount away from Wat. Almost without thought he went into action as he had so many times on the training field. The shock of metal on bone went up his arm as he severed the limb of one attacker from the shoulder. A reverse and downward thrust enabled him to disembowel another. The arrows flew from Wat's bow in rapid succession. Then as suddenly as they had appeared, the attackers vanished.

Chest heaving, Daniel surveyed the carnage around him. One of their guards was down with his throat slit. It had been his mount that plunged down the road. The maids in the rear wagon had stilled their wailing. No sound came from the lead wagon. Daniel urged his horse around to the front. The driver lay across the seat, his head a bloody ruin. The sight of Rob's pale hair made Daniel's heart leap into his throat. His brother coughed and moaned when Daniel lifted his head. He had been stunned only. Then the terrible realization set in. Lucinda and her maid were missing.

Daniel whirled around and called out "Lucinda, Lucinda can you hear me?" Silence was the only answer.

Wat and another guard came up with a man between them. A trickle of blood between his eyes led from the spot on his head where he had been clubbed down.

In a voice as chill as a late winter wind Daniel demanded "Who are you and what has been done with my sister?"

The man blinked at Daniel as if he had trouble focusing. "My name is Miles" he answered "If you let me live I can help you get your sister back. I was driven to this by desperation only. I never wanted to be an outlaw".

Daniel looked the man over carefully. He glanced towards Wat, who gave him an almost imperceptible nod. As if he communed with an inner voice, Daniel sat motionless for several moments with his eyes shut.

Then with a sigh, Daniel looked again at Miles and said "you will come with us to my uncle's. We cannot mount a proper search encumbered by servants and baggage wagons. If you betray us, I will cut your throat myself. But if we get my sister back unharmed I will make sure you have your freedom and possibly more besides".

This last part made both Wat and Miles look at the boy Baron with an odd look. For the briefest second Daniel's voice had held an echo of his father's.

It was a sad caravan that reached Ruthin Manor. The dead armsman and driver had been placed in the front wagon. Seven dead bandits were left along the road in their wake. In the aftermath of the attack, Daniel had given thanks to his father that he had insisted that his armsmen and sons had always been well trained. One of the other guards had been detailed to drive the wagon. Rob, head bandage and all now rode that horse.

The noise of their arrival at the manor attracted the attention of the gate guards long before they were within shouting distance. By the time they had climbed the hill to the gate, a man on horseback flanked by four others rode out. When the two groups approached each other, Daniel saw that the lead man was a younger copy of his father.

This man dismounted and knelt in the dirt before Daniel. His companions followed suit.
"You Excellency" he said "We rejoice at your safe arrival even as I mourn my brother's passing".

Tears sprang to Daniel's eyes but he forced them back as he commanded "Uncle Thomas, do not kneel before me. I have more sad news for you. Lucinda was abducted on the road. We captured one of the bandits, but I also need your help to find her".

The shock on Thomas's face was genuine and for a moment he was at a loss for words.

"C-come inside" he stammered "I must hear this whole tale. My heart tells me that my enemies and those of the young prince seek to strike at me through my niece. But I must know more".

Daniel interrupted him at this point "We also have dead to be buried. Have you a chapel?"

"Yes there is a chapel" Thomas answered. He waved one of his men forward. "Lew" he instructed "ride with the bodies to the chapel and send for a priest from Saint Martin's".

As the man rode off trailed by one wagon, Thomas remounted his horse and lead the remainder of the group towards the three storey house.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Amy of York

Cressida  heard the sounds of horse's  hooves  approaching. She arosed  to greet  them, and pepare  some   warm tea  for  them  to drink.  As the  riders  grew  closer  she  counted  the  men  on horseback  like  she  always  did.    One,two, three, four, five , six...
Where were the  eight  others  ?    She hurried  towards  the  riders  as fast as her  weary legs  could  carry her.   The lead  rider a man, by  the  name of   Will, appraoch  her.
  "  Will, where are  the  others  ?"  she  asked him.
  "  No time  to talk now Cressida,"  he  told  her,"  We have  to break camp  and  get moving   fast, before  they  come  looking  for  us. "
   Cressida  could  sense  something had went terribly  wrong. As  the  other riders  approached  she  noticed   two  very   finely dressed  women  bounded  in ropes  riding with  them.
  " Will, what have  you  done  ?"  she    demanded.
  "  It was  suppose  to be a simple  ambush,"  shouts  Will,"  We had it all  planned out. Hurt  them, but  don't kill  them ."
   "  Killed  !" exclaimed  Cressida," Will, who  got  killed ?"   She looked  around  for   Miles.
   " NO ! No ! NO !  she  screamed  out in horror  and  colapsed   to  the  ground.

Lady Christina de Pond

bound and gagged Lucinda and Faith sat on the back of two horses
Lucinda believed the men had made a mistake they hand tied and gagged them but they forgot to blindfold them. Lucinda's eyes were sharp and taking in everything.
she watched in horror as the girl feel to the group is sorrow and sobs whoever Miles was he ment something to the girl. Anyone with eyes could see that she was fragile and was not well.
Lucinda wondered if she talked to the girl if she might have compassion on them. Lucinda was already planning in her mind given half the oppertunity they would escape. Lucinda looked at poor Faith who looked very very frightened and pitied her friend. Faith had been with Lucinda since they both were very small children and become quiet close.
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Tremayne

After Daniel had filled in his uncle about the ambush, the prisoner was brought in for questioning.

"What were you hoping to accomplish by raiding my deceased brother's family?" Thomas asked.

"I intended to satisfy a contract to kidnap the girl and hold her without harm until ransom was settled."

"How much ransom?"

"I was not privvy to that information. I assume you will find out shortly. I was to receive 2000 pounds upon completion of my contract."

"I can match that," Daniel blurted out, halting when his uncle raised his hand.

"I will abide by any decision you make, my lord, but I would ask you to accept my counsel and deal cautiously with brigands. Do not count much on their honor. We have this man's life in our hands. Perhaps that would be enough of a reward now for the return of Lucinda."

"It would not," stated Miles. "That money is needed to start a new life in a southern country where the climate will give my ill sister ease. You believe there is no honor among thieves but I trust my mens' loyalty to me, as they have shown me nothing but loyalty. If they assume me dead, they will carry out the contract and take my sister south as a last duty to me. I have no doubt of it."

Daniel was moved by this speech and glanced at his uncle but the older man remained stoney.

"Who is your contract with?"

"We don't give names much in this business," said Miles. "The man who dealt with us called himself Badger. I doubt it had any bearing on his real name."

"He had an accent?"

"No, he spoke as straight as you and I, though with a rougher tongue."

"There were no others?"

"We dealt with Badger only."

Thomas sensed a restlessness in his nephew and decided to adjourn the interview, nodding to the guards to take the man away. The moment the door was closed, Daniel stepped before him.

"Dear uncle, I owe you much and appreciate your wise counsel. I know you suspect this is part of some complicated plot and want to expose an enemy and traitor, but I don't care about all that. I want my sister back home as quickly as possible by whatever means is most convenient. Lucinda is barely recovered. This man's sister is so ill he wants to take her south. What if Lucinda should come in contact with her? I have lost enough of my family to sickness." Daniel paused to control his emotions. "I will not tolerate any delays. I will give this man what he wants if he can take us to Lucinda and we see her safely home. That is all I care about. Will you aid me?"

"Yes, of course," assured Thomas, placing his hand on his young nephew's shoulder. "Of course. I never meant to imply otherwise. And I did not mean to delay. I was merely trying to fully understand what we were dealing with--and to keep the thief off balance. But he's not easily unsettled. After we have Lucinda out of harm's way, I may see if I can strike a separate bargain with him. Though it could be he knows as little as he claims. I and my men are at your disposal whenever you're ready."

"Now then. I can't stand to linger in comfort when Lucy may be thrown in a pile of leaves somewhere bound and gagged. I feel I have already wasted too much time."
I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw. --Shakespeare via Hamlet.

DonaCatalina

Thomas was as good as his word. He supplied Daniel with spare mounts for him and his surviving guards. For additional guards he detailed ten of his own men to go with Daniel.

The two of them spoke alone in Thomas's study the morning that Daniel meant to set out.
"I cannot in good conscience allow your brother Robert to go with you" Thomas said sternly "If the king knew that I was risking one his barons needlessly as well as his closest heir, it would be my head."

Daniel nodded solemnly and replied "I understand, though I fear that Rob will not. Please keep him safe for me." His uncle clapped him on the shoulder and replied "You may depend on that." After a pause he handed Daniel a roll of leather. As he took it, the young man's eyes opened wide in surprise at its weight. "Gold" Thomas explained "keep it close and hidden. Only use it as a last resort." Daniel nodded and tucked the roll away into his waistband. With his throat full of unsaid words, he left the room and went out the front door.

Gathered out front were the fifteen men who would accompany Daniel. There was as yet only enough light to show the distant manor walls as dark outlines. Each man, including Miles, had a spare mount that also held his share of their provisions. Daniel's horse awaited him alongside a dark reddish bay horse. Rob stood in front of the group with a downcast expression. Moved by his brother's sorrow, Daniel came and stood in front of him.

"We must ride hard and fast to find Luci" Daniel explained "You must remain safe here to be the baron if anything happens to me." Rob dropped his eyes and mumbled "I know. But I wish I were going anyway."

Daniel turned away and mounted his horse. "We will be back as soon as we can with Lucinda" he called as he spurred his horse towards the gate. The group was soon lost to sight in the early morning gloom.

Outside the manor's gates Wat motioned to Daniel. "There is a lesser used road from here that will take us about to the spot where they would have left the road and headed south." With a thoughtful look Daniel responded "If that will save us some time, then I say we take it." Wat moved into the lead to find the fork in the road that they wanted. Miles was herded into the center of the group by the other guardsmen. Daniel twisted back in his saddle spoke to him "Remember what I said earlier. Regardless of my uncle's wishes in the matter, I will reward you handsomely if we get my sister back unhurt. If she is otherwise, I will not rest until I have hunted down you and ever last one of your friends." For a moment Daniel's cold expression made him seem much older than his actual years. Rarely had Miles seen such implacable determination even in his hard life.

Not far from the ambush site, Wat picked up the first signs of the brigand's trail. The stink from the abandoned bodies made everyone's eyes water. Already the forest creatures had begun to disperse the remains until they were unrecognizable. For Miles' part, he tried not to think about the fact that the ravaged bodies had once been his companions. Kicking at the remains of a fire" Wat said "They were very rushed your Excellency. They did not even linger to hide the traces of their camp." He walked a little further and examined the marks of hooves among the leaf covered ground. Wat remounted his horse and explained "By the looks of these tracks none of the horses were double mounted. They will have made good time for at least the first day and night."

Daniel clinched his fists on the reins. "Curse the lost time; but we are equipped to travel faster for longer then they."  He spurred his horse after Wat in the direction that the kidnappers had taken his sister.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Amy of York

A group of  riders rides  fast and  hard  thur  the  evning hours  despite  a few  protests  from the  women    with  them.
" Quiet,"  shouts  one of the  lead  rider,"  Or i will permanently silence  you  right  now ."

" That is  enough Luke,"  says   Will,"  and  remember  with Miles  gone  I  am  in charge ."

"  Who said  you were in charge ?"  snaps   Luke.

" Enough  the both of  you,"  shouts Cressida," Miles has not even been dead  for  very long,  and  here you two are arguing.How  do  you think, this  would  make him feel ?  Have  you  do decency  in your  bones ?"      She  begins  to  cough  hard.

" Excuse  me,  Will  is   it ?  Your  woman  friend  is  very ill," says  Lucinda,"  This  rain and  dampness  is  doing  her  no  good.  May  I  suggest  we   find  a  warm  place  to  stop  for  the  night  ."

" There is  an old  abandon cabin up ahead  that use  to belong to  a fur trader,"  says  one of  the  riders  who was  familiar  with the  area.

Lady Christina de Pond

the group followed Jason to the fur trader's abandoned abode
Luke stoked a fire and brought Cresinda to it even if Miles was gone it was the least he could do was look after Cresinda. Luke also brought Lucinda and Faith to the fire and had men guard them.
Even if this had been Miles' scheme he would see it out and that ment taking care of his captives to bring full randsom the man who hired them wanted an also to ensure full payment.
Luke knew someone would need to take Cresinda southward in her brothers absence Luke figured it might as well be him he could stand for a bigger pie of the pie knowing that most of it would pay for Cresinda living contently for the rest of her life
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Lady Amy of York

Cresinda saw the  way Luke  looked  at her, and it made  her feel very uneasy.  She  never did like  the  man. He  was very rude  and had  a very short temper.  She  tried  to listen  in tothe  coversation that Luke  was  having  with Will.
   " If we get captured, we  will all end up going  to  prison  for  kidnapping  and  murder.  What good  will that  do Cresinda ?  Give  me  my share  of  the  money  and  the  money  meant  for  Cresinda  and  let  me  take  her down  south  where she  will be  safe ,"  says Luke.

"  I  don't have  the  money," snaps Will,"  And  if  I  did, what makes  you think I would  give  it  to  you.  Since  when have  you  cared about Cresinda? You are always  ordering  her around.You have  always  been out  for  yourself  and  no one  else.  How  do i  know  you won't take  Cresinda's  share of  the  money  and  dump  her  somewhere . "

"  I  said  I want  my  money,"  demands  Luke.

" And I'm teling you I  don't have  it,"  shouts  Will back.

While  the  two men are arguing  Cresinda  takes  the oppurtunity  to walk over to Lucinda  and  talk  to her.  She  hands  her a  mug  of  water  to drink.
     "  I  thought you  might  be  thirsty,"  says  Cresinda.

"  Thankyou,"  replies Lucinda, appecting  the  mug of  water.

" I  can't talk long,"  whispers Cresinda,"  but  if  we wait  for  the  others to fall asleep, I am willing  to help you escape,  but  you  must take  me  with  you. 

" What are you telling them?"  shouts Luke, walking up behind  Cresinda  and   grabbing her arm so hard  that  she  cries out in  pain.

" You are  hurting  me,"  cries  Cresinda.

" What were  you telling  them ?"  shouts  Luke  at  her.

"  Nothing,"  replies  Cresinda,"  I was  just offering  them something  to drink ."

"  Are  you lieing  to me  ?" shouts  Luke

"  No  Luke,"  says  Cresinda  nervously

"  I'll teach you to disrepect me,"  shouts  Luke  slapping her across the  face.  Cresinda  drops  to the  floor   sobbing.   Luke  goes  to grab her, but Lucinda manges  to stick  out  her  rope  tied  legs  and  trips  him.

"  Why  you !"  shouts  Luke, pulling himself  on his  feet,"  I'll teach you a lesson  in manners  too  girl ."

Will had  entered back into the cabin, and  spotting Luke,  he  grabs him  from behind,  and   slams him against the  wall. He pulls out  a dagger and  points  it at Luke's  throat  and  says  to him,
   "  You  no good  scum.  Give  me  one  reason  why  I  don't  kill  you  right  now. If you ever lay a  hand  on Cresinda again  I'll   rip your  throat  out ."
             He calls  to a  couple of  the  other men in the  party and  says,"  If it were up to me, I would  make  this  snake  leave  our  party, but  i don't  trust him. He  would  probaly  turn  us  all  in.  Take  him  outside  and  tie  him   up  to  a  tree  out  there."

"  But  I'll freeze  out  there,"  protests  Luke.

"  You should  have  thought of  that before you  threaten   the  ladies  here ,"  replies Will.
  Will  bends  down next  to Cresinda  who is  sitting on the  floor   shaking.
   "  It's alright Cresinda, I  won't let him harm  you  again  ."

"  I  wish  Miles  was  here,"  cries  Cresinda.

"  I  do  too,"  says  Will  holding  the  sobbing  Cresinda in  his  arms . He  turns  towards Lucinda and  Faith  and   asks  them  if  they are alright.

"  No, we are not alright,"  remarks  Lucinda,"  We are tied up, and  hungry, and  being held  hostage   by  a bunch of savages."

" Savage am  I ?" laughs Will,"  That is  kind of  harsh words  for the  man, who  just saved  your  life."

"  Fine," replies  Lucinda,"  If you want to prove  you  are not  a svage,  then  let  me  and  my  maid  go  ."

"  I  am  afraid  I  can't  do that," replies  Will.

"  Then you  are  no  better  then that  other  man"    says  Lucinda

"  Will, why  don't  you  let  thm  go,"  begs  Cresinda.

"  You  Know  we  can't  do  that," remarks  Will,"  You  know  we  need  the  money.  How  are we suppose  to get you well gain ?"

"  If  it is  money  you need  I  can  talk  to  my  uncle ,"  says  Lucinda.

" No," replies Will,"  We will stick  to our plans."

DonaCatalina

When the light was too dim to see any their quarry's trail, Wat insisted that Daniel call a halt. "Your Excellency" the Welshman explained "It will do your sister no good if we over run their tracks in the dark" Daniel winced at the usage of what he still considered his father's title.

"It will be a cold camp here" Daniel answered in a voice filled with resignation "But you are right and we have no choice."

When he dismounted the others followed his example. With his saddle for a backrest, Daniel sat down in the shelter of budding oak. All the wood was too damp to burn, so their evening meal was cold meat and bread. The forest sounds returned to normal around them as the men settled in for the night. Dark came early under the heavily clouded skies. The temperature of the air fell across the landscape like an icy wave. It was not long before Daniel noticed that small animal sounds had fallen silent again. The snap of a twig turned his head sharply to the left. Wat crouched near his side with a finger held up for quiet.

"Something follows us in the dark." He whispered urgently to Daniel. Almost wraithlike in his movements he moved back silently. Daniel rose to follow him with slow measured steps. Both men froze at the sound of rustling in the brush. Quick as a snake Wat plunged his arm into the brush up to his shoulder. He pulled forth a flailing form in dark clothes and a dark woolen cap. In its struggle to be free, the cap came loose. Even in the darkness Daniel recognized the flash of gold from his brother's hair.

"Rob!" Daniel exclaimed "What do they devil do you mean by following us in the dark? You could have been killed any one of ten ways!"

Wat released the boy and he tumbled unceremoniously to the ground. Rob's expression turned sullen as he got to his feet. "I didn't though. I brought my own horse too. She's tied to a tree a little ways back."
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Christina de Pond

" you did what? your suposed to have stayed at uncles castle?"
" And what wait like a girl or a child" spat Rob
" It's not a matter of making you sit at home like a child or a girl you need to recoperate and get well"
"I need to help find Lucinda"
Daniel was about to try to reason with Rob again when Wat intervened
" Sir might i have a word or two with you?"
" Rob stay put I'm not done with you"
Daniel followed Wat out of Rob's hearing range
"Sir i don't mean to trouble you but he's come this far on sheer determination it would disgrace him now if we sent him home and well plus you would have to send men we can't afford to lose with him. Let him ride with us if a major incident should arise I will keep a close eye on him"
" Your right He has lost both his parents and now to lose his only sister for him to sit still would be maddening. I'll go tell him now that he is to come with us."
" Very Good sir"
Daniel returned to Rob
" Get up go get the horse and be quick"
" Your not sending me home?"
" NO it would take too many men that i can't afford to give up"
before Daniel had said More Rob had up and bolted to his horse thankfull Daniel had no choice but to bring him along
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Tremayne

Through the fog of sleep, Miles heard the crazy string of songs from a mockingbird. It was not insistent but it was annoying enough to nudge him into consciousness--and then into realizing it was Peter, one of his men, probably on his way to or from telling their intermediary that they had captured their quarry. Apparently he had found this group and investigated, finding Miles. The mockingbird was the "confusion" call, indicating one needed clarification in a situation. Miles couldn't very well whistle back. He couldn't imagine Peter could see him through the cover of trees. The call didn't sound that close. All the same, Miles shifted a bit to expose his hands to the glow of the fire and held his hands in the "change of plans" signal. His hands were tied behind his back so it was an improvised version of the signal. He had little hope that it could even be seen. But that was the last he heard of the mockingbird.

Peter rode up on his crew of fellow bandits at noon the next day as they were traveling toward the point where they would hand over their captives. He had ridden his horse to the point of exhaustion and "traded" it for another in the night. His new steed was heaving as he pulled up and jumped off. "Everyone! Cressida! Will!" he called out. "I've seen Miles! He's alive! He's being held captive by our hostages' relatives. He signaled to me a change of plans."

"What change?" asked Will.

"I didn't sit down and talk with him!" said Peter in exasperation. "He gave me the hand signal. That's all."