News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New Interactive story - The Woodland Road

Started by DonaCatalina, February 26, 2009, 07:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Amy of York

Wat approached  the  half  asleep Daniel and  said  to him in  a low  voice,
" Sir, I am sorry  to disturb you, but i have  a feeling  we  were being  followed ."

"How so ? "  asked  Daniel.

"  I kept hearing  what  sounded  like a bird,  a Mockingbird  to  be  exact.   I remember  hearing  them one  time  when  i  visted an  aunt of  mind  down   south.  Well, it   seemed  odd  to be  that  a  Mockingbird  would  be   this  far  north."

"  Your  suspicions   do  make  sense ,"  aggreed  Daniels,"  Bring   the  man, Miles  here. See if  we  can  get  him  to  talk  ."

Wat returned  a few  minutes  later  with  Miles, his  hands   still tied  up.

" Master Miles,"  says  Daniel,"  My friend  here, Master  Wat, has   a  feeling  we  are  being  followed.  You  would  not  know  anything  about  this  now  would  you ?"

"  I  know  nothing  of  what  you  implie ,"  lies  Miles,"  I  was  in  a deep  slumber   until  i was  awaken  by  your  friend   sir ."

"   I  heard a  Mockingbird  call,"    replies  Wat    ,"  And  we  all know  that  Mockingbirds  live  down  south,  and  that  you  have   spent  time   down  south."

"  I  have  never  spent  time  down  south  sir,"  remarks  Miles  back,"  I  only  stated that I  wish  to  go  south,  to take  my    dear  sister  who is  very  ill,  to  a  warmer  climate.     Which my  the  way,  while  we are standing here  arguing  my  sister  is  growing  weaker."

"  You  forget   sir, that  my  sister is  involved  too,"replies Daniels,"   I  suggest you  co-operate   with  us.  What  about    then  man  Badger  who  paid  you  ?   Could  he  have  sent  men  to  follow   us ?"

"  I  don't know,"    says   Miles  growing impatient, then he  stops  and  thinks     and  says.."   You know, if  you  untie  me,  I  could  draw  you a map  of  where  his  men  may  be  hiding  out."

"  I  am  not  that    stupid  sir,"  remarks  Daniel,"   You will remain  tied  up until  i  get  my  sister  back."

Meanwhile  back at  the  bandit  hideout,  Cressida  can't belive  what  she  just heard Peter  say.
  "  Peter, are  you  certain ?  Is  my  brother  really  alive  ?"

"  I saw  him   with  my  own  two  eyes   ?"  answers  Peter.

"  Then we  must not  head  south,"  replies   Cressida,"  That  is  what  Miles  means  by change of  plans. He  does  not want us  to  head south.  If  i know  my  brother  he  wants  us  to  stay  put  until  he    makes  his  escape  and   comes  and  finds us."

"   I'm  not  so  sure,"says  Will.

"   Think  whatever  you want  to  think,"  remarks  Cressida  back,"  All i  know  , is  that  my  brother  is  still alive, and  for  that  i  am  very grateful  for,  and  that he is  going to  find  us,  and  then   everything  will be  alright.   Miles  will  make  sure  of  it.  He  always  takes  care  of  things. he  has  never  let  me   down."

Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

DonaCatalina

In their haste to be away from the half-ruined cabin, the outlaws bundled Luci and her maid onto horses with no breakfast. Lucinda's hand ached horribly from the strain of being tied to the saddle horn. She was sure that her maid felt the same. Luke and Will rode in front of the group. Cressida, Peter and the mute Angus trailed at the rear. The cough from Cressida that so alarmed Lucinda the previous day lessened as the morning air gradually warmed.

After they forwarded a shallow creek Will reined his horse to a stop.

"We need to circle back now" he said to Luke "If we can sneak up behind them we may be able to free Miles."

With a sneer Luke replied "You know how many men they have and you think we can take them with just the few of us here?"

Exasperated Will replied "And you should know that Miles would stand a better chance of getting our money from this Badger. Miles is the one he's had dealings with before."

Lucinda watched this argument with interest. The weak link in their plan was the loss of Miles. He had been the front man and mastermind of the whole enterprise. If she could play on their differences, she might delay them long enough for a rescue to be effected.

"You will all swing from a gallows unless you release us soon" Luci commented to Cressida "Let me speak to my family and we can work out someway for you to move south."

"Shut up you!" Luke snarled at her "We'll get our money and be long gone before anyone catches up with us."

Will moved his horse between Luke and Lucinda. "We are wasting time here arguing" he hissed angrily "Every minute those men get closer to us. We have to do something to get them off our trail or we'll never be able to meet up with Badger."

A beast like snarl revealed Luke's yellow teeth. "All right then" he finally agreed "We will do it your way Will. We need to hide the women somewhere and leave the mute with them for a guard."

With a jerk he turned his horse's head to the left and followed the creek they had crossed earlier. Will shook he head and motioned for them all to follow Luke.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Tremayne

Cressida had always known Miles was a natural leader, but she hadn't realized how quickly their band would deteriorate without him. She wasn't sure what to think of some of the men anymore and she knew with certainty, ill though she was, that she was going to have to reach down inside herself and find the fortitude to take action herself. It seemed at every turn things were not going as they should.

As soon as they had been stashed in a copse and the others were beyond hearing, she turned to Angus, looked him directly in the eye and asked, "Are you loyal to me?"

He gave a quick nod without hesitation, much to her relief. And now to see if he would trust her judgement.

"I want no more bloodshed. We must reach Miles and Lucinda's family before the others. Are you with me?"

Again a curt nod and a glint of understanding in Angus's eyes. He turned gather the horses. Cressida turned to Lucinda and Faith.

"I don't think this attack from the rear is at all what Miles meant when he signaled a change of plans. I'm hoping we can meet your family's guard before any more violence breaks out. Then perhaps we can all walk away and seek peace hereafter."

"I can only hope it turns out as you intend," Luci replied as Angus helped her and Faith onto their horse.

"My illness is the cause of this cursed kidnapping. Maybe I can put an end to it."

They rode off hard, guessing at the most direct line to the party they were trying to meet, praying their shorter route would bear them more quickly to their goal.
I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw. --Shakespeare via Hamlet.

Lady Amy of York

Cressida  and  the  others     rounded  a bend in the  road.  Suddenly  a  man  leaped out  at  them  grabbing  the  reins  of  Cressida's  horse.  Cressida     tried  to  fight  him off  , but  he  drew    a  sword  on  her.He  whistled  and  three other men  that  had  been hiding  in the  woods  came  running  out  to  confront  the  others.

"  Thought  you  go  and   sneak  off   did  you  ?"  grinned Luke,"  You  should  know  better  then  that.  Why  i  have  been  following  you since  you left .  Now  , don't  you  even think of  calling  out  for  help.   I  have  you surrounded ."

"  Luke  ! How  did  you get  away ?"  demands  Cressida. She  recognises  the  other  men  with  Luke. "  What  did  you  do  to Will and  the  others  ?Why  are  you  doing  this  ? How  did  you  get  those  other  two  to follow  you ?"

"  So  many  questions . Now  don't you  be  worrying  your  pretty  little  head  about  all that  ,"  grins   Luke.He pulls   Cressida   down off   of  her horse  .  With  a knife  pointed at her throat he  leads her off  into the  woods.    Another  man  stands  waiting  with  the horses.   

"  Tie  her  hands   and  feet up,"  Luke  orders  the  man,"  and  gag  her  too."

The  man  fellows  Luke's  orders. Cressida  turns  to  the  man  and  says ,"  Why  are  you  doing this ?   Why are you taking orders  from him?   I  thought you were better then  this ."

"   Quiet!"  orders  Luke," Soon it will be  just  me  and  you   my  lovely,  and i  will  make  you  my  wife."

"  You  don't  love  me,"  hisses  Cressida.

"  True,"  smiles  Luke,"  But  your  dear  brother  does, and  I  am  sure  he  would  pay    a  nice  sum  of  gold  to  get  you  back. "

"  You  know  Miles  does  not  have  any  money ,"  Cressida  shouts.

Cressida  tries  to fight  , but she  is  too weak,  and  Luke  is  too strong.     Once  she  is  tied  up and  gagged  he  picks  her up  and  tosses  her over   the  saddle  of  the  horse.   He  tosses  the  man a  small  gold  coin.

"    You  and  the  fellows   do whatever  you want  to  the  others,"  he  tells  the  man and  mounts   the  horse . He  keeps  one  hand  on Cressida  and  taking  the  reins  in  the  other hand  goes galloping off

DonaCatalina

Daniel left the man called Miles to the watchful eyes of the armsmen, along with his brother Rob. Miles took it in better humor than Rob did. Wat rode next to him as they continued to follow the trail left by their quarry. The small sounds of animals that scurried through the bush followed them through the gray, dew soaked dawn. From the marks in the damp sod Daniel could tell that the bandits had made no effort to hide their numbers. Unless they scorned the size of the search party, these outlaws were not the brightest men by all appearances. It occurred to Daniel that Miles was the more intelligent of the bandits. Capturing him at the outset could prove to have been a bit of luck. Daniel reined in his horse when the ever present chirping of birds fell silent around them. Barely a heartbeat later Wat held up his hand to halt the others. The slender Welshman slid from his saddle and crept silently ahead until he was barely visible through the foliage. The armsmen spread out around Daniel as tense seconds crept by. Even Rob slipped up beside his brother without drawing his censure. Just when Daniel decided to go after Wat, his tall form reappeared. As he walked up to Daniel his face was hard and closed.

"You should see this" he told Daniel as he remounted and led the way.

The rest fell in behind as the guided their horses through the brush. The smell of iron and manure made the young Baron wrinkle his nose unexpectedly. A pair of brown clad legs was Daniel's next warning of the sight that awaited him. Sprawled behind a tree was the body of a dark haired man. His faded yellow shirt was graced by a rust brown bib. Then Daniel's stomach lurched when he saw that the bib was actually blood that had soaked into the shirt from the man's ravaged throat. A retching sound made Daniel look away from the horrific sight. His brother Rob and Miles had both voided their breakfast onto the ground.

Wat's voice broke over the noise of the pair's illness. "Did you know this man?" he asked in an icy voice.

Miles took a drink from his water bag and wiped his mouth on his sleeve. "Yes I knew him" he choked out "His name was Peter."

"Wat" Daniel called out urgently "We have to hurry. If these brigands continue to fall out among themselves; my sister's life will be in greater danger."

His eyes locked onto the corpse before he turned away with a shudder. "We cannot spare the time to bury this man now" Daniel ordered "We leave him as he lies." Rob looked in shock from Wat to his brother and back again. Only Wat's eyes showed his dismay that Daniel's heart should have become so hardened. When the riders pushed on, only Miles turned back for a last salute to his late friend.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Tremayne

Angus refrained from interfering with Cressida's abduction because he didn't think he could take on 4 men, especially when galvanized by Luke's leadership, and he was fearful of Cressida getting wounded. But 3 men who had little sense of purpose he had no doubt he could defeat or evade. He had grown up being the target of bullies so 3-1 was not unfamiliar odds for him. He was clear on his priorities: set Lucinda and her maid free to ride on, as Cressida would wish, and then ride on himself to free Cressida from the degenerate Luke, as Miles would wish and as his own heart bid him do.

In the lull of indecision at Luke's retreat, Angus gave a quick nod to Lucinda without looking at her and lunged at the man nearest him.

Lucinda felt Faith lunge from behind her and saw a knitting needle sink into the shouldher of the man holding the reins of their horse. As he gasped and spun to defend himself from further assault, Lucinda gave their steed a fierce kick. It lunged and wheeled, throwing the man off balance and as he fell, the reins were released.  They were free and she set the horse to running into the woods though she didn't know which way led to safety.

Angus had one man down before the girls made their escape. The second he was able to close in swordplay and then punch hard enough to put him out. When he turned to Bailey, the man who'd been holding the girls' horse, the man held up his hands in surrender. So Angus cast his gaze quickly over the available horse, chose the one that looked least worn out, leapt up and was off on the trail of Luke and Cressida.

In the hands of such a savage of Luke, Cressida gave in to despair. Miles had no money to ransom her and he was a captive himself so he could not rescue her. She was not strong enough to defend herself. She gave no thought to preserving her life but would give it up to escape the fate Luke had planned for her. Her perch on the saddle was tenuous. Luke was counting on her fear of falling from a running horse to keep her in place. Instead, she decided to topple herself over the side. She flung her legs up; Luke attempted to catch her; the weight being flung around on the exhausted horse's back caused it to stumble, trip, and go down.  When it arose, heaving, legs shaking, the two humans lay prone and still on the forest floor.
I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw. --Shakespeare via Hamlet.

Lady Amy of York

Lucinda  suddenly reined in the horse, and started heading back in the  direction they had  come  from.

"  What are you doing ?" shouts Faith at her,"  You are heading  back towards  those men that held us  captive. We nedd to go the other direction."

"  I know,"  replies Lucinda," but i can't stop thinking about the girl called Cressida. She was so weak and ill  and  defenseless. I  can't continue  on  without knowing  what happn  to her.   We have  to go back  and  help her ."

" They are probably far ahead of  us  by now," says Faith,"  We are better off  trying to find  your brother."

"  I  don't even  know  where my uncle's home  is ,"responds Lucinda,"No we are most likely closer to Cressida  then my uncle's home.  If we  ride  fast  we maybe able  to find  them."

" We don't even know  what direction they went,"  protests Faith,"  iT will be getting dark and  we are two women out in the woods with no weapons  on us. What if  someone  approaches  us ?"

"  My mind is  made  up,"  says Lucinda,"  I keep seeing that poor woman's  face in  my  mind.  I  have to help  her."

"  You always  were stubborn,"  sighs  Faith.

**********************************************************************************

Angus sees a riderless horse  standing in the  road. He  dismounts  his  own horse , leading it by the  reins and approaches  the  riderless horse. The horse has been ridden hard  and is  covered in sweat and a thin white lather.  He pets  the horse on the  neck, calming it down  and  then grabs  the  reins.
  He leads both horse's down the  road aways  when he  spots two figures laying  motionless in the grass.He ties  the horses up to a nearby tree and  approaches  the  figures.  He approaches  the  first figure. A  woman layng face down. He  recognises  the hair  color and the  clothing she  is  wearing.
He rolls  the woman over . She moans  and lets out a gasp. she tries to sit up, but is in a great deal of pain.  It hurts  to breath.

" Angus," Cressida  says  to him," I need your help."

She looks over at the the motionless figure of  Luke  next to  her.

" Angus is he  dead?" she  asks.  No, she  could not be that lucky. 

" Angus grab his   weapons," Cressida  instructs him.

Angus approaches Luke. He grabs Lukes dagger and  sword,then he feels a firm grip on his   wrist.

" Just what do you think you are doing?" growls  Luke. 

Angus points  the  sword at Luke.

" Like  you know how  to us that,"  laughs Luke. He tries  to move,but the pain in his leg overcomes him.He can seea bone jutting out.
"  I  broke  my leg !"  He looks over at Cressida  and  snarls," You! This all your fault. That foolish stunt you pulled on the horse, you could have killed us.If only i could  stand up,  i would  throw  you back on  a horse  and get out of  here."He  tries  to stand, but the pain in his leg is too strong.
" Darn you woman, you will pay  for  this."

Cressida tries to sit up. Her  ribs hurt  and  she gasps in  pain.

" Angus," she cries out," You need  to go find  help."

Angus  shakes his head, refusing to leave Cressida  with  Luke.

" Angus, please, ,"  gasps Cressida  in  pain.

Angus heads for one of the tied up horses, unties it , mounts  and  rides off.  He rides for several miles when  he sees a horse appraoching fast  .Two women are mounted on  it. He  recognises  the  women and  signals  to them.

" It is Cressida's friend Angus," cries out Faith.    The  women approach  Angus. Lucinda tells him they are looking for Cressida  and  Luke.  Angus  points  down the  road  beckoning  them to follow  him.
Lucinda  and  Faith follow behind  him, and he leads  them to where Cressida  and  Luke  lay.

" Cressida," cries Lucinda dismounting her horse and running towards Cressida.

"  I can't breath,"  says  Cressida,"  It hurts too bad."

" We are going  to help you,"  comforts Lucinda.

" What about me,"  snaps  Luke,"  I could use  some attention here."

" You sir, can lay  there  and  suffer   for what you have  done  to Cressida as  far  as I am concern," replies Lucinda.

" What I  did to her,"  snarls  Luke," It is thanks  to her, that we are both laying like  this ."

" I know better  then to belive  one  word  you say sir ,"  replies  Lucinda turning her attention back to Cressida. Cressida  lets out a moan.

" We are going to have to make some type of litter  to transport her in," says Faith.  She  walks over  to Angus  and tries  to explain to him  what  she  needs  him to do.  Angus nods his head  and  sets off gathering branches  to make  a litter.

Cressida starts  to cough real hard  and has  ahard time stopping.

" I wish I had  some  water,"  she  gasps.

"I have a  small flask of  whiskey  in my pocket she  can have a  sip of,"  says  Luke. Luke pulls out the flask.
" Here take it ," he instructs Lucinda. Lucinda reaches out for it. Luke grabs Lucinda arm and pulls her ontop of him. She struggles to get back up, but Luke grabs her around  the neck and puts a  choke  hold  on her.

" Let her go," demands Faith.

" I'lll give  the orders around here," shouts Luke  ," Get my horse and  my sword  and dagger otherwise  your  friend here has breathed her last breath."

DonaCatalina

Very slowly Lucinda tenses up every muscle in her body as she felt her consciousness fading. Then as hard as she could she kicked blindly at Luke's broken leg. His inhuman howl of pain pierced her eardrums, but she retained enough of her senses to quickly roll away from him.

"You bloody harridan" Luke hissed at Lucinda through his sobs of pain.

Lucinda got up from her hands and knees with Faith's help. She got a clear view of Luke's leg and felt sick when she saw that his limb was now barely held together by the torn skin. She turned her head from the bloody sight to see Angus gesturing wildly towards Cressida. Lucinda knelt beside the ill woman and saw that she had lost consciousness.

Lucinda's voice held only a slight quaver when she said "Angus, we have to get her on a litter and look for a road right now."

Luke continued his tirade of curses and shouts ignored by the rest. As Cressida was moved onto the makeshift litter his curses gradually turned to pleas.

"I'll die if you leave me here!" he screeched at his former captives.

The horse that the litter was tied to shied at the unfamiliar conveyance, but Angus held tight to the reins. Using only his hand he had insisted that Luci and Faith mount the other two horses.

Lucinda pointed to a river that was just visible downhill from where they were.

"If we follow that river it's likely that we will come to a road soon enough" she stated flatly. Her tone brooked no disagreement. Not that either of her companions had a better idea to put forward. So with Angus walking beside the impromptu draft animal, they started towards the river. Luke's broken pleas soon fell behind them and out of hearing range.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Tremayne

As Miles turned from his salute to poor Peter, he noticed a bit of cloth wagging in the bushes. "Hold!" he called out. "Another! Alive!"

Both the commanding tone and curiosity caused the rear of the companyto come to a halt.

"I see nothing," said the man nearest Miles, following his gaze.

"There above the hedge," said Miles, unable to gesture.

"I see it!" cried out Rob from midway in the group. "A grey cloth bobbing." He pointed and moved to dismount.

"Everyone!" bellowed Daniel, "on your guard! This could be a trap!"

"M'lord, my instincts tell me he called it true," said Wat. "Let me go to the man to see if he can tell us anything."

"As you wish, Wat, but I'll have no useless delays."

Daniel and the others stayed mounted while Wat and two of his choice helped Miles from his mount and walked cautiously through the thicket to find a pale man lying prone, his clothes saturated with blood.

"Thank the gods," the man whispered when he saw Miles.

At Wat's inquiring glance, Miles said, "My second."  Miles dropped to his knees to better hear Will and save him the effort of speaking any louder than he had to. "What happened, Will?"

"Luke. He wants Cressida to wife."

"What?!" exclaimed Miles, turning pale himself.

"We left the women at Bright Spot along Willow Brook."

"Alone?"

"With Angus."

Miles felt a shade of relief.

"Luke went back with 3 men for Cressida."

"And the girls?"

"He had no thought for them. Off his rocker, Miles. Totally gone."

"And you?"

"Ride on. But if I've got any juice in me when you pass back, I'd appreciate you corking a few holes."

"No others?" asked Wat, "just this Luke and 3 men?"

"As I know," said Will.

"Time!" came Daniel's impatient call behind them.

"Peace to you," said Miles. "I'll return if I can." The guards were lifting him.

"You can lead us to the place? This Bright Spot?"

"Yes, it's not far from here and I'm as interested in speed as your young Baron."

Both Wat and Miles were experienced trackers. It was but a couple of hours later that they came upon the prone, unconscious body of Luke. It was a huge relief to Miles to see Luke broken and alone. He assumed that if Cressida was not with him that she must have gotten away on her own power.  Luke had dragged himself a short distance before passing out to no obvious end.  Daniel ordered Luke's hands bound and roused him for questioning. Though clearly in a weakened state, he was determined to be vile so long as he could draw breath.

"What happened here?" demanded Daniel.

But Luke's eyes were drawn to Miles standing nearby. "Cressida's a soiled woman now," he said with a sneer.

Miles felt his pulse quicken, but calmed himself. Nothing that they'd seen led him to believe that. All had been battle and haste. "Answer the man," was all he said.

"Bandits have taken all the pretties away--broke in on my pleasure." He fixed his eyes on Daniel. "Yours was a little fiesty but--"

He never finished his sentence as Daniel's sword came down on his throat. He raised his sword again.

"Stay your passions, man," said Miles. "He's a liar."

Wat appeared out of nowhere and placed a hand on Daniel's shoulder. "He's dead and the world a better place for it, m'lord, but no need to go further. Come see what we've found."

Daniel lowered his sword but as he turned he grabbed Miles by the throat. "I should kill you, too."

"The ransom was to help my own sister," rasped out Miles.

"And the women await our help," coaxed Wat.

Still glaring at Miles, Daniel growled, "mind how you address me in the future," before releasing him and following Wat.

Lady Amy of York

Lucinda,and Faith  on horseback , and Angus  head   down the  road  with  the draft horse  dragging the  litter carrying Cressida.  They are several miles  down the  road   when  they see  a figure laying by  the  side of  the road.  He  calls  to them.

" It is the man they called Will,"  shouts Lucinda , dismounting  her horse and running towards him.

" Thankyou for  stopping,"  replies Will in a weak voice,"  I  thought I would  be left to die  alone  out here."

"  What happen ?"  asks  Lucinda.

"  It is  a long story, " gasps Will. He  sees a figure  in the litter  and  asks  about it.

"  It's Cressida,"  replies Lucinda," She tried  to escape  from Luke."

"  If he  did  anything to hurt her,"  gasps Will, anger in his  voice.

" Easy Will," says  Lucinda,"  You  need  your  strength ."

" Will, is  that  Will ?"  coughs  Cressida.

" Yes  dear," replies  Faith.

"  Did you see Miles   and  your  brother Daniel?" Will asks Lucinda,"  They were just here a short  time ago."

"  And  they left you here,"  coughs  Cressida in  pain.

"  I  would only slow  them down ," says Will,"  They were  determined to  find  all  you  women ."

"  Daniel was here  !"  exclaims Lucinda,"  How  did  we  miss  them ? "

"  They must have taken a different road ,"  replies Will.

" We were  so  close ,"  sighs  Lucinda  in dismay. She looks  at  Angus  and  then  says  to him, "  Angus  , you nedd  to ride  ahead  and see if you can  find   the man called  Miles  and  my  brother Daniel ."

Angus  nods his head. He  mounts   the  horse  Lucinda  had  been riding  and  heads  down  the  road.

Lucinda  starts  to rip  one of  the underskirts  she is wearing.

"  We  will use  these strips  to try  and  stop  your  bleeding,"  she  says to Will,"  I don't know  what else  i can  do."

Cressida  starts  coughing harder.

" Take  care of her,"  says Will,"  That is  all  I  ask."

" I will," assures  Lucinda," But let me try  to help  you too."

DonaCatalina

The sound of pounding hoof beats caused Daniel to draw his sword almost before he realized it. His brother Rob reined his horse around drew out his small dagger. Daniel had but a heartbeat to spare for the sight of his brother's white, determined face before a rider burst through the trees. The pale haired rider hauled his horse to a skidding stop. An aborted movement by Miles drew a flicker of attention from Daniel. While his horse stood blowing, the newcomer gestured frantically at the men.

Miles cleared his throat and nervously ventured "Your Excellency, I know this man, his name is Angus. And I think he should be paid attention to."

Daniel tensed at these words but did not lower his sword. Several of the guardsmen moved around behind the man so that he was completely encircled.

"Well, what do you have to tell us?" Daniel spat out.

Miles broke in "I am afraid he is a mute, milord."

Daniel shot a glance down at his brother before he responded "Very well, do you know where my sister is?"

Angus nodded vigorously and pointed in the direction from which he had come.

"Can you lead us to her?" Daniel asked in a voice that was like the slow melting of snow.

After Angus nodded again, Daniel waved away the guardsmen and urged his horse forward. Miles nodded to Angus as Wat led his horse forward.

The hour it took for them to find the women seemed to stretch out into eternity for Daniel and Rob. The sight of their sister's golden hair sent relief though them in a flood. Then he noticed her bloody hands as she knelt between two prone figures.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Tremayne

In alarm, Daniel leapt from his horse and ran to his sister where she stood next to Will. "Are you hurt?!"

"No, I'm fine," she said with a weary smile.

Taking that as affirmation that he could do her no harm, Daniel gave Lucinda a strong but brief hug. Rob, who had been beside his brother, then stepped in with a longer embrace, which Luci returned.

"We're so glad to see you," Rob said. "And Faith, too," he said with a nod and smile to the maid standing on the other side of the prone Will looking relieved.

"But what are you doing?" asked Daniel spreading his arms to encompass the scene they'd rode up on.

"I'm unharmed but others were not so fortunate. I was trying to help as best I could."

"So these were other captives? I thought this man was one of the bandits."

"He was," said Luci, "and Cressida was an ill woman among them."

"So we've been tearing all over this wood searching for you while you've been nurse-maiding the very people who kidnapped you and killed a number of our guard?!" he asked in annoyance.

Luci drew herself up and bristled back at him. "There's more to this than what appears on the surface."

"Can we just go home," broke in Rob, "or to Uncle Thomas's," he corrected, "and sort it all out there?"

When the riders had pulled up Miles was both relieved and dismayed to see a pale Cressida laid out on a primitive cot. Managing to dismount without aid, he strode over to her as quickly as he could without causing alarm and knelt beside her.

"Miles," she whispered, her eyes filling with tears.

"I'm here."  He noted her short fast breaths. "What's wrong?"

"My ribs."

"Broken?"

She nodded.

He immediately understood the implications for her. Coughing would be excruciating. He felt men fumbling with the knots binding his hands. "Do any among you carry laudanum?" he asked.

"I expect," came the answer. "Finney, go ask Wat about some laudanum for the woman." The man cursed then and pulled a knife to saw at Miles' bonds. Shortly, they fell away.

Miles took one of Cressida's hands and caressed her hair. "We'll have some comfort for you soon."

Tears were streaming down Cressida's face. "It's all gone bad, Miles."

"Shh," he said. "There's still hope. Who brought you here?"

"Angus and Luci. The girl came back for me, Miles, when she was free. She thought I was in danger and came to help." It was too much talking for her. She began to cough with the last word and moaned in pain.

"Shh," said Miles, trying to soothe. "I'm sorry. I'll ask no more questions."

The laudanum arrived. Miles watched with relief as Cressida closed her eyes and her face relaxed.

"So this is the beloved sister for whose benefit so much chaos has been wrought?" came Daniel's sarcastic voice from above.

Miles clenched his jaw and mastered his desire to lash out at the lordling before he rose and turned to face him.

"Yes, m'lord," he said simply and then noticed the young lady standing beside Rob looking down at Cressida with concern. "But may the poor judgement of brothers never tarnish the virtue of their sisters," he said to Daniel before turning to Lucinda with a bow. "M'lady, would you be the kind soul who looked after my sister when you yourself were in danger?"

"Yes, I guess I am," said Lucinda, "though I never seemed in quite as much danger as she." Faith gave a contrary huff behind her.

Miles went down on his knee before Lucinda with a bowed head. "Then I pledge to you my sword, should I ever hold one again, and my services so long as I am able-bodied. My loyalty to you shall be second only to my loyalty to Cressida."

"This is outrageous!" burst out Daniel. "Lucinda, you can't possibly accept the pledge of a scoundrel, a bandit for godssake!"

Lucinda had been flabbergasted by Miles' actions and words. The thought that someone would ever do such a thing had never entered her mind and she didn't know what to make of it or how to respond. But her anger at Daniel bossing her around, as he so often did, brought back her resolve to act independently as she thought right.

"Look at me," she commanded Miles. His dark eyes met hers earnestly and then she saw his great sadness, that he believed he would lose Cressida and needed a second purpose to cling to. "I accept your pledge," she said quietly, "but I hope your first duty will yet be a long one."

"This is ridiculous," insisted Daniel in disgust. "You're not of legal age to accept such pledges."

"Is such a pledge ever legal?" speculated Rob, innocently trying to grasp the consequences of what had just occurred. "Isn't it just between two people?"

"It matters not, my young lords," said Wat behind them in an effort to defuse the tension. "His first duty is still to his sister who is in need of his aid while Lucinda is currently guarded by many, so his pledge is of no import at the moment. May we prepare to move on, my lord Daniel?"

Lady Amy of York

"  Very well,"  replies  Daniel to Wat.  He turns  and  points  to  Will, Miles ,Luke and  Cressida  and  says  "  But I want  those  four  placed under arrest.   You are  to ride  ahead  and  fetch  the  local  sheriff ."

"  You  can't  do  that ,"  protests  Lucinda,"  Luke, yes, he  is  evil, but  those  two other men  saved my  life   and  the  woman is gravely ill.  She  will die  if  you have her arrested ."

"  I'm sorry,"    snaps  Daniel ,"  But  the  law  is  the law. "

"  What happen  to you  ?"  Lucinda   shouts  angerly  at him,"  What happen   to the  loving  and  caring  older  brother  I  knew?  "

"  Enough  sister!"   Daniel  growls  back   starting to walk  away.

"   Don't you walk  away   from me !"  Lucinda  yells  back,"   Look at you Daniel.  You make  me  right now  ashamed  to call you  my  brother.    I thank  the  Lord  our  dead  mother  and  father  are not  alive  to see    this.   It would  break  mother's  heart to     see  you act  like  this.  This  people  are no  diiferent  then  the  rest of us.   Sure  they may  not be  rich, and  wear  fancy  clothes, and  have  a fancy  title  before    their  name,  but  they  are  human beings   just  like  the  rest of us  and  deserve  to be treated like  human  beings ."

"  Mount up,"  shouts  Daniel  to the  others.

"  Daniel,"  pleads  Lucinda. Rob  walks  up  to her  and  says  to her,"  Leave him  be  Lucinda . Now is not  the  time or  the place  . Lets  help  the  others."

DonaCatalina

Daniel spurred his horse viciously towards the road. He had spent the last few days in a fog of terror that he would lose his only sister. Now he had her back but he did not know how to let go of his anger at anyone involved in her abduction. From the look on her face, as well as Rob's, he knew he had hurt his siblings deeply. Half the guards had followed him automatically without waiting for their prisoners.  Once his horse climbed the embankment, Daniel reined in his horse in the middle of the road. The guards held back as their master paced his horse back and forth across the lane.

Lucinda held her mount to the same pace as the litter, so it was some time before she joined her brother on the road. She sidled her horse beside his as the others made their way laboriously up the slope and onto the road. Without warning she swung her gloves and struck Daniel full in the face. The force of the blow was not painful in itself but the shock of Luci's action shook him to the core. Daniel grasped her wrist before she could repeat the blow. The inferno of rage that had burned through him earlier threatened to return. Then he saw the tear tracks through the dirt on her face. The expression on her face was exactly the same as it had been the morning of their mother's death. For long moments Daniel maintained his bone-crushing grip on her wrist. His whole body shook with the effort he spent in controlling his emotions. His eyes closed when he heard a soft whimper from her lips. Ever so slowly he relaxed his fingers.

"Master Wat" he called with his eyes still closed.

"I am here your Excellency" the Welshman answered.

With only the slightest hold on his sister's arm Daniel continued "Is there not a monastery on the river near here?"

"There was the last time that I was through here milord"  was Wat's answer.

Daniel opened his eyes and looked directly at Luci. Brown eyes locked with blue as he said "Then that is the place we will take the wounded. After they are seen to; we will unravel the mystery that surrounds the architect of this fiasco."

Bright tears welled up in Luci's eyes that threatened to overwhelm her trembling smile.

"Thank you brother" Lucinda whispered through her tears "I knew you were a better man."

She turned then and smiled at Miles who rode beside Cressida's litter. It was as if the sun shone a bright ray upon him. The former outlaw's heart raced and almost caused him to lose his balance as he considered the multiple meanings behind that smile.

Under Wat's direction, the odd cavalcade turned towards the monastery and village that was a few miles away. The bells that tolled the noon hour were audible long before the walls came into sight. Built on a knoll amidst tilled fields, the warm golden stone of the buildings were a welcome sight to them all.

Rob was the first to reach the gate and he rang the bell vigorously until one of he monks pulled open the ponderous wooden gate. The sight of the two litters caused him to motion the party forward without a word being spoken.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Tremayne

As the weary troup gathered in the tidy courtyard, two robed figures swept out of a side gallery and headed for the wounded. A lean, brisk man in his sixties bowed to no on in particular and introduced himself. "Father Randall. And this is Brother Jeremy," he indicated his younger companion, a man of barely 30 with a kind expression. "We are healers and pleased to be of service."

"I'm grateful for any help you can lend," said Miles. "Will here has suffered several stab wounds and lost much blood. Cressida, my sister, has fallen from a horse and broken her ribs."

Father Randall knelt beside Will, while Brother Jeremy laid a hand on Cressida's forehead. "It's more than the ribs that ails her, isn't it?" he asked with calm concentration.

"She suffers from consumption," replied Miles. "We've given her laudanum to stave off the cough."

Brother Jeremy nodded. "Poor thing," he said softly. "We'll keep her as quiet as possible."

The words and the monk's gentle manner touched Miles so that he struggled with his emotions. He knew she would survive her present injuries but he feared the consumption would gain a stronger hold in the meantime. He had hoped to give her one more taste of a life without care as in their younger days but he never seemed able to provide that respite.

A hand squeezed his arm. "She'll have a good rest here," said Lucinda as though reading his thoughts.

Suddenly Father Randall began barking orders, calling others out of the buildings to carry litters, ordering Brother Jeremy to prepare needles and sutures, ordering still others to bring boiled water and towels to the infirmery.

This burst of commands and activity jarred Miles out of his thoughts. Looking around, he saw that most of the men had dismounted and that Daniel was engaged in conversation with a portly, jowly man of middle age with an officious manner.