News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New Interactive story - The Woodland Road

Started by DonaCatalina, February 26, 2009, 07:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Amy of York

The portly,jowly middle  aged man that Daniel was talking to, just happened  to be  the  town's  sheriff.    Daniel  points  to  Miles, Will   and  shouts,
"  Those  are  the  two   right  there  sheriff.   I  want  them arrested  ."

Miles hears him say  this  and  turns  around  in anger  at  Daniel and  says,"   Why you no good 
b a s--rd  !  (edited  for  younger viewers ) .     You promised you would   not have us  arrested.  You gave  your  word  to your  sister ."

"  I  promised no such  thing  sir ,"  replies  Daniel , raising his voice  back  at  Miles ,"  I  only   said  that i would  see that  the  injured   were  cared  for.    You are still going to  prison  ."

" No you can't  do  this !" shouts  Lucinda.  She  turns  to Father Randall and  says,"  Is  this  not a place of God?   Then these men,  with  the  exception of  maybe  one ,  have  the  right  to sanctuary  here ."

" Stay out of  this  sister ," orders  Daniel,"  you do not understand  the  law  ."

"  No  maybe i  don't understand  ,"  says   Lucinda,  feelings of hurt  and  anger  ringing out in her voice ,"    But  i  do  know  I  hate   you.  I  will never speak  to you  again."
    She   storms  off.

Daniel starts  to  go after her, but  Rob  stops  him  and  says  to him,"  Have  you  not  hurt  her enough  for  one  day  ?"

"  Out of  my way  Robert,"  shouts   Daniel,"  I need to talk  to her  .I need to explain  to her why."

"  No !"  replies  Rob , bluntly,"    You will have  to get pass me  first ."

Daniel  swings a fist at Robert, and  the  two  get into a big  brawl.

" Break it up  you two," orders  Wat    pulling the  two apart.

"  I'm sorry   Robert ," Daniel says  to him," I  don't know  what is  wrong  with me  lately. I  can't  think straight.  I'm letting my emotions   get the  best  of  me. First mother and  father  dying suddenly, and  now  this  whole  situation, almost losing Lucinda.  I  was out of  line.  I  appologise ."

"  I'm not the one  you need  to appologise  to,"   says  Robert.

"  I know,"  sighs  Daniel,"  Hopefully she  will speak  to me , and let  me  explain."
Daniel  turns   to the  sheriff  and  says,"  Sir, i was letting  my emotions  get  the  best of  me.   I  did  keep a promise  to  my sister. A  promise  I  will not  go  back on.  Release  those  two  men ."

Daniel  walks  over to Miles  and   says ,
"  I  know  you did  what  you had  to  do  for   the  well being of your  sister," replies Daniel," I  too have  a  sister  I  care deeply  for.    Hopefully she  will forgive  me     for  my outburst  here ."

"  I think she  will," smiles  Miles,"  She  is  a good  woman  ."

"  Sir,  do you have an interest in  my sister ?' asks  Daniel.

" If i  did  , would  it meet  you approval  ?' asks    Miles.

" Your a good  man  sir ,"  says   Daniel   walking off  to  find  his  sister.

"  You did not answer my question ,"  Miles   shouts  after  him.

"  I  know,"  Daniel  shouts  back  with  a  smile.   Daniel finds his Lucinda  sitting by a fountain  crying.
"  Lucinda," he  says  to her, his heart breaking at the sight of his sister in tears, knowing that he was  the cause of  her dismay.

" I don't want to speak to you Daniel,"  she informs  him.

" I know  you are upset with me,"  replies  Daniel.

"  I am not a  child anymore Daniel,"  says Lucinda,"  I know  what it means  to make  a promise  and  to keep it.  You made a  promise, you gave us your  word. Those  people  not  only save  my life , they are  my friends. "

" I know ,"  Daniel says  to her  sitting down beside  her.

"  Then why  did you have  them arrested?"  she  cries.

"  I was not thinking straight," explains  Daniel,"  First  we lost mother and  father  then we almost lost you.   Not only that, but i saw that poor  woman Cressida  suffering in pain.  I  just  felt angry. I wanted  justice.  I  wanted  to protect you and make  evrything  right again.  I  wanted  to bring  mother and  father  back."

" Daniel," says Lucinda  reaching out for  her brothers  hand ,"  I miss mother and  father too, but  Miles  and  Will arrested  is not going  to  help anything ."

" I know," answers Daniel," That is why I  told  the sheriff to release  them ."

"  Oh Daniel, thankyou ," cries Lucinda. Her tears  change  from tears of  sadness to tears  of  joy. She hugs her brother.

" You are not angry  with me  anymore  then ?' asks Daniel.

" No," assures Lucinda,"  I understand  now . Thankyou  for telling me how you feel. You know Daniel , we are family. You can talk  to me  any  time."

" When  did you go from  being a liitle  girl  to a grown woman ?" laughs Daniel  giving his  sister another hug.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

DonaCatalina

The Monastery had lavish accommodations for visitors. This came as a surprise to Daniel until the Abbott informed him that the queen stayed there regularly on the way to her favorite shrine. Since the Royal Lady was not expected for another half-year, Luci and her maid were housed in grand style. Will and the ailing Cressida were sequestered in the infirmary. The King's chambers were given over to Daniel and Rob, while the rest of the men were housed with the monks. The young baron knew that only hope of a large reward held Miles to their cause. But his devotion to his sister was apparent. In order to impose on the Abbott's hospitality as little as possible, Daniel had instructed Wat to prepare for an early departure. But tonight, they would dine at the monastery's table.

It seemed as if as much effort went into this meal as it would have for the queen herself.
The three siblings were seated at the high table with the Abbott and his Chancellor.  The first course was hundreds of tiny quail eggs boiled in their shells. This was followed by suckling pig roasted in goat's milk. Twice Lucinda tried to engage the good Abbott in conversation, but soon gave it up as wasted effort. The worthy gentleman politely answered each of her questions, though it was his dinner that truly held his attention. By the time the last course of apples baked with almonds was served, all of those present were filled to bursting.

Daniel stood up from the table and picked up a bottle of the monastery's excellent wine. A small gesture of his hand alerted Wat to his intentions.

"Good Abbott Waller" Daniel started "I wish to express my thanks for this excellent repast. You have shown my family much honor by your generosity and the efforts of your monks. I hope I have done justice to the magnificence of your table. I will excuse myself now for a bit of a rest." He hated this kind of flowery language but he knew it would please the older man. The bag of silver pennies had also helped sweeten the monks' demeanor towards their unplanned guests.

By the time Daniel made it to the front door Wat and Miles were already waiting with four of the men-at-arms. The gravel walks of the monastery garden were a welcome change from the stifling heat of the dining chamber. Holding his silver cup aloft, Daniel poured himself a generous measure of wine before he passed the bottle to Miles.

"Since we appear to be allies for the nonce" he said to the erstwhile outlaw "it seemed appropriate that we drink to the success of our venture."

With a wry grin, Miles filled his cup and passed the bottle along. While the wine made the rounds of the men Daniel held up his cup once more and examined it closely.

He chuckled before he commented "Milord Abbott has the service of an excellent silversmith. My father owned no plate this fine."

He turned to face Miles where he stood next to the faithful Welshman. "The path ahead will be difficult and dangerous. But I swear that if you hold faith with me, I will hold faith with you." With his eyes fixed on Miles he tipped a drop of wine to the ground before he drained his glass. The older man swallowed hard before he mumbled "I also so swear." After all the men had drained their glasses, Miles turned to go back inside.

In the hallway he almost ran into Lucinda as she came from the dining room.

"Your pardon my lady" he said in surprise. His eyes flickered briefly as Faith came up behind her mistress. "I was wondering" he began in a choked voice "If you would do me the honor of a walk in the garden before you retire?"

A smile brightened Lucinda's face briefly before Faith nudged her arm. For long moments she looked at Miles as her smile slowly faded. His heart sank deeper with each passing moment. Then she said quietly "I would be happy to walk in the garden. But I think you should know that I have been betrothed to another man since I was seven years old. My marriage was only delayed by my parents' deaths. Once my year of mourning is finished, I will go south to be wed."

Miles faked a jaunty smile that he did not really feel. Inwardly he chastised himself for the delusion he had allowed. The girl's beauty had struck him through and he had let himself forget that she was a noblewoman.

"Well then" he managed to say "A walk in the garden after dinner is a simple thing after all."

Daniel saw them as they turned towards a torch lit path. He couldn't quite decide what he thought about seeing the two of them together and followed by Faith. He made his way to the bedchamber where Rob was already asleep. The long day and longer dinner had been too much for the boy. Briefly Daniel envied his brother the peaceful sleep that he enjoyed. The boots were hefted into the corner before the young baron collapsed onto the bed himself.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Tremayne

Dusk was falling so the threesome did not venture far into the gardens, whose plantings had turned into dark, textured shapes, some neatly defined, some with ragged edges. Bright flowers were reduced to lighter shades of grey holding out as night descended.

It had been a long, trying day even for the young and hardy. Miles felt it himself and saw it in Lucinda despite her proper bearing.

"Under other circumstances, I would enjoy a long stroll to learn more about the young woman who would go to such lengthes to help my sister. But I will defer that conversation to another day as I expect sleep is the best medicine for all of us tonight," began Miles.

"I just wanted you to know, though my earlier oath may have seemed rash, I meant it. Should any threat of harm come to you or should there come a time when your brothers cannot intervene on your behalf, I will gladly come to your aid as you did for Cressida. I hope you will feel free to call on me should need arise."

Lucinda wasn't sure how to respond. His attention was both flattering and embarrassing. "I am honored, but truly, it was nothing. I don't need anything in return."

"I may not seem so now, behind the heavy walls of the monastery, but know that you can call on me."

"Soon enough she will be married with an entire household looking after her," Faith interrupted indignantly.

"And what is the temperament of your betrothed, if I may be so bold?" Miles asked Lucinda.

"He seems pleasant enough," reflected Lucinda. "His father is a little scary--gruff--but Colin does not seem to take after him."

Miles nodded. "I'm glad to hear it. Perhaps you'll never need my service. Just know I have your welfare in mind and will do what I can for you."

"Your concern is appreciated," said Lucinda, "and I won't forget you--or Cressida."

"And now it is best if we retire indoors," asserted Faith.

Miles got the distinct impression that Faith did not approve of him and wondered how he might reassure her.

"You are right," he conceded and turned back for the halls. "It's a good thing Lucinda has you looking out for her."

"Indeed," said Lucinda with a touch of mirth, "she is quite handy with knitting needles in close quarters."

"Oh?" prompted Miles, genuinely curious. Luci held forth with evident pride on Faith's stabbing one of the bandits with a needle at a critical moment.

"And do you carry your concealed weapons on you now, Mistress Faith?" inquired Miles.

"None of your business," snapped Faith.

"Oh, Faith, don't be so prickly," chided Lucinda and then giggled at her pun.

"No, it's an excellent answer," said Miles, "One should never reveal such things and you should beware telling the tale too often. You may need that surprise another day.

"We have reached our parting. Thank you for sharing your company with me this evening." Miles bowed. "I hope you will grant me the pleasure again soon."

"The pleasure has been mine," replied Luci with a curtsy and a blush. "I look forward to walking with you again soon."

Faith, Miles noticed, remained on her guard, giving only the barest dip of a curtsy and not lowering her eyes. Giving Faith a little training, he though to himself as he headed for his pallet, might be the best way to discharge his vow of protection.
I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw. --Shakespeare via Hamlet.

Lady Amy of York

Daniel layed in his  bed, unable  to sleep.   He  decided  to  get up and   walk  around  for  a  bit.   As  he  headed   downstairs  to  the  courtyard  he  passed  by  the infirmary.He could  hear  someone  coughing and  crying out  for help.  He  entered  the  room,   to find that he, Will,  who was  sound  asleep,  and  Cressida  were  the  only ones there.   Daniel  walked over to the table  next  to Cressida's  bed  and  grabbing  the pitcher  and  mug pours  her   some  water  to drink.

" Thankyou,"  replies  Cressida, sipping  the glass of water.

"  Where is  everyone  ?'  inquires  Daniel,"   You  should  not  be  left  alone  ."

"   Faith and  Lucinda  were here earlier  but then they  went to bed,"  Cressida  answers,"  There was  a monk  in here earlier sitting with us, but I  do not know  where  he  went off  to ."

"   This  room is  very  stuffy ,"   Daniel says  to her,"  We  should  open  some  of   these  windows.  My mother use  to  say  fresh  air  was  good  for  what  ails  you ."  He  wipes  away a  tear  as he  thinks of  his  mother  and  walks  over  to the   windows .  He  spots  a  small garden  just outside  with a  bench .

"  I have  a better idea,"  says   Daniel,"  It is  a  warm night out.   Come  let me  help you up."    Daniel holds his hands  out to Cressida  and  helps  her stand  up.    He grabs  a blanket  and  wraps it around  her,  and  then  taking her in his  arms  he picks her up and  carries  her outside  to  the  garden.

"  Should  we be  doing  this  ?"  asks  Cressida,"  I  am sick.   Will, you not get in trouble  for  taking  me  outside  ?"

" Let me  worry about  that,"   Daniel     replies,"  Besides  like  I already  said,  the  warm  air  will  be  good  for  you."     He  helps   Cressida  sit  down  on  a  bench.  The  moon  and  stars  are out  and  they reflect  in the  small garden pond  next  to the  bench.Cressida  looks like a  delicate  angel sitting   on the  bench.   Daniel  finds himself  awestruck.

"  Oh  Daniel, thankyou  for  bringing me  out here,"  cries  Cressida,"  It is  breathtaking.  Like  a   small fairy land.   It reminds  me  of  the  small garden  my  mother had   when i was a  child. she use  to  sit  and  read  to me  in the  garden."

"  I  don't have   a book  to read  to you,"  says  Daniel,'but  i could  tell you a  story  my  mother  use  to tell  me."

"  I  would  like  that,"  answers  Cressida  smiling  at  him.   Daniel sits  down  next  to her  and  begin  to recite  to her   the  story  his  mother use  to  tell him when he  was  a  child.

"  What are  you doing ?"  shouts  a voice.

Daniel  turns  to  see  Miles  standing   there looking angry.

"   What is  my  sister   doing  out of  bed  ?"   shouts   MIles.

"   I   found  her in   her bed  coughing like  crazy  and  no one  there  to help  here,"  Daniel  snaps   back  at  Miles.

"  Please  Miles,"  begs  Cressida ,"  Daniel  was  only  trying  to help  me."

"  By  taking you out of  bed  where  you belong  ,"  growls   Miles.

" If  you  would  stop  shouting  for a minute  and  look at  your  sister,"   Daniel  tells  Miles,"   you would  notice  that she is  not  coughing at  all  right  now.    The  warm   moist  air  tonight is  doing  her  some  good , as  i knew  it  would ."

"  It is true   Miles,"     Cressida  tells  me,"   I have  barely coughed  since  i came  out here. Please let me  stay out here a bit  longer.  It is  so beautiful out here, and  it reminds  me of  the garden mother had. "

"  Yes, you can  stay,"  smiles  Miles.  He  pulls Daniel    aside  and  says  to him,"  I'm  not sure  what you  did, but  thankyou.  This  is  the  first  time  i have  seen Cressida happy  in  a long  time."

DonaCatalina

The dawn came much too early for Lucinda. In spite of, or perhaps because of her exhaustion she had not slept well. Even the luxuriously appointed bed in the Queen's chamber had not kept her from tossing and turning through the night. She yawned her way through the early Mass, and earned herself some reproachful looks from Faith. Daniel and Rob had fidgeted through the entire sermon, though not from the same reasons as Lucinda had. Rob's normal demeanor was to fidget, while Daniel's problem seemed to be simple impatience. After Mass was over, the only benefit that Lucinda realized from Daniel's hurry was a short breakfast.

The poor Abbott had looked forward to providing his guests with a breakfast as lavish and the previous night's dinner. When the young nobleman had insisted on a simple meal of breads and cold meats, the Abbott's crestfallen expression almost made Lucinda laugh. But he had recovered his good humor while the horses were prepared. The young woman suspected that the Abbott and his Chancellor would enjoy the extravagant breakfast in spite of his guests' absence. As the final preparations were finished, Cressida was brought out into the courtyard and seated on a cushioned chair. Will followed her out of the infirmary and surprised Luci when he mounted a horse, irregardless of the sling holding his right arm. Then her attention turned to Miles, who walked over and looked down at Cressida.

"We won't be apart for long, sister" he said to her. With a jerk of his head towards Daniel he continued "The Baron there has promised that as soon as you are well enough to travel, the monks will send you to his uncle's manor house, someplace called 'the Vyneyards'. He said he paid the Abbott a goodly amount of silver for your care and the expenses of your journey."

A fat clear drop rolled down Cressida's cheek. In a choked voice she responded "I am sorry that I have been such a burden to you my whole life. Now we are doubly in debt to these people only because you have tried to take care of me. I would rather that you were free to go and seek your own life unburdened by my troubles."

Swiftly Miles dropped to his knee beside the bench. "Never say something like that" he told her in a low and urgent voice "We are the only family that either of us has left. I will serve these people and repay my debt. The girl at least has promised to help us find a better life. She is yet young with a soft heart and I do not think she will let her brother renege on that promise."

Cressida nodded and wiped away her tear. "Then I will be happy for your sake and hope that we can be reunited soon."

Luci ducked behind her horse's neck as her heart pounded in her chest at what she had accidently overheard. The man was undeniably loyal to his sister, and for the sister's sake would remain loyal to Daniel and herself. His handsome face had seemed so pleasant and honest to Lucinda. But in spite of her instinctive liking, she now wondered if he would turn against her if he saw an advantage for his sister. She looked over to see Faith as she was helped onto a horse. There was no help there. If Lucinda tried to discuss her confused feeling about Miles, Faith was sure to bring up Lord Colin. That was a subject she hadn't thought about consciously in years. Growing up it had simply been one of the facts of her world that one day she would be married to Baron Worley's heir, much the same way she had grown up knowing she had blue eyes. She had not connected Miles's overtures with anything other than friendship until Faith had nudged her. Since then she had not been able to think of much else. Colin had been a quiet boy the few times that they had seen each other. But now the young woman wondered if that had only been in contrast to his large boisterous father.

Her thoughts were momentarily broken when one of the guardsmen helped her onto her horse. If Faith wondered at Luci's silence she made no comment. As soon as the riders passed outside the monastery's gates, Lucinda returned to her introspection. A memory of one autumn rose in her mind. Her parents had taken her and Rob to visit Baron Worley and renew their acquaintance. The baron and his son had been out hunting when they had arrived, but the servants had made them comfortable with warm drinks in the great hall. A thunderous crash had heralded the return of the good baron, though he was preceded by a pack of riotous greyhounds. Between his shouts and the barking dogs, it seemed the hall was barely able to contain him. Lord Colin who came in last had been almost silent in comparison. There was really nothing else about the visit had been memorable to Lucinda.
While she tried to remember anything else about her betrothed she heard someone call her name. She surfaced from her thoughts as if from deep water and looked around quizzically.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Tremayne

"You seem a bit distracted, sister," said Rob as he moved his horse up beside hers. He looked a bit dreamy himself--and fresher than anyone else in the party. He seemed to have been the only one to get a solid night's sleep.

"Yes, I guess I am," said Luci, dodging revealing her exact thoughts. "The last week seems more like a month in length--or maybe two months. So much has changed in so few days."

Rob nodded. "You know, I was thinking, it might be nice to take a visit to see that fellow you're betrothed to once this kidnapping business is settled."

Luci started and hissed to her brother, "How did you know I was considering that?"

Rob smiled. "I didn't. I only knew I was thinking about it."

They both chuckled. They were close and such synchronicity of thought was not uncommon between them.

Then Luci knit her brows. "But isn't this kidnapping business already settled?"

"No," said Rob. "Daniel is determined to expose the person who wanted you kidnapped and I doubt he'll let you out of Uncle Thomas's manor until the blackguard is brought to justice."
I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw. --Shakespeare via Hamlet.

Lady Amy of York

Lucinda  sat back  in the  saddle  and  looked ahead   at her  two brothers  who were  riding ahead of  her. Two very  fine  handsome, and  kind hearted   gentlemen  they were, but  yet  they were as   different  as  night and  day.      Even though  they were  brother and  sister    she   felt  there was  a  slight  distance between  Daniel and her.  Daniel was  the  quiet  type and  had  a hard  time  expressing  his  feelings,  which  made  it hard  to sometimes   read  her  brother.   The  bursts  of  emotion he  showed  the last few  days     were a  part of  Daniel  she  had  never  seen  before.
    "   The  recent deaths  of  our  mother and  father  have  changed  Daniel,"  Lucinda    thought to herself,"  then again  they have  changed  all  of  us  siblings."

Lucinda looked  at her brother Robert.  Robert   the  adventurer.  He  was  the   dreamer  of  the  family.  He had inherited  his  mother's  gift of  song  and  story  telling.   She  and  Robert  were  very  close.
   "  Robert  would  you  sing  for me  ?"  he  asked  him.

Robert  glanced  back at his  sister  and  smiled  and  began  to  sing a  song  that his  mother use  to  sing.   

Daniel heard his  brother  singing.  His  voice  was  so  much  like  mother's  except in a more  masculine  way.  Daniel's  heart started  to  ache  as  he   heard  the  words  of  the  song his  mother use  to  sing.  He  decided  to  ride  up  ahead  of  the  others.

Daniel  thought  he  saw  movement in the  woods. He stopped his horse  for  a mooment and  looked  around. He saw  nothing.     He shrugged his  shoulders  and urged his horse  on.

Lucinda  was too focused  on her brother Robert's  singing.   She  did not notice  until the last  second the arrow  come  flying  thru  the  air towards her  , just missing  her.

"  Ambush,"  shouted  Miles,"  Get  the  women  and  horses  off   the  road  quickly."   Lucinda    tried  to urge  her horse  forward, but he  was  too  frighten.   Miles   took  notice  and   galloped  towards  her grabbing     the  bridle  of   her horse  and  leading  into  the  woods.  Faith  followed  behind  them.

"  Stay here,out of  sight,"  he  instructed  Lucinda  and   Faith.

"  You have  come  to  my rescue  once again  sir,"  Lucinda    says  to him, " I  am much obliged ."

"  I  am  just  returning kindness  with kindness,"   replies  Miles,"  plus  i  would  not  wish  to see  either ofyou fall into harms  way. Now  please stay here and  keep  low."

Lucinda  smiles at him and  nods her head  as   he  rides off.

"  Do i have  to remind  you that you are betrothed  to another  man ?"     says  Faith  shaking her head in  disapproval.

"  The  man  just  saved our lives  Faith,"  Lucinda protests.

" Yes, he  has a  strange  way  of  showing up   whenever  there is   trouble  ," Faith comments  back.

"   Faith, what are  you  implying ?"   Lucinda  demands.

" I just  don't  tust  the  man," mutters  Faith.

Lucinda  urges  her horse  forward a hair.

"  Where  do  you think you are going ?" Faith questions  her.

"  I just want  to get a better look  thru the  trees,"  says  Lucinda,"  so i can see what is happening  to the  others.  All i can hear is  alot of  shouting  and horse  hooves ."

" You  stay  right  where you are  young lady,"   orders  Faith,"  I'm not  going  to  be  the one  to answer  to  your  brothers  if  anything happens  to  you  again."

Lucinda peered  thru  the bushes  and  watched as her brothers  and  the   rest of  the  men in their  party  skirmished  with  the  small mob of  men on horseback ,who  were armed  with bows  and  arrows  and  swords

Daniel held  a  sword up  to  the  neck of one of  the  ambushers. 

"  Please  sir," begged  the  man,"  I am just a poor  farmer. My wife  and kids  go hungry.  You and  your  party  looked like  people of  wealth, so my friends  and I here decided  that we would stage  this  ambush  and  rob  you.  We meant you  no harm."

" Do you think me  a fool  sir ?" Daniel  replied ," Look  at  the  way  you and  your  friends  are dressed  and   the  weapons  you carry, and  the horses  you  ride.  You are not poor  farmers.   You are  theives ,  highwaymen who prey   upon the  wealthy  and  innoccent travelers.  I will spare you and  your  men  lives this  time, but if you ever  try to harm  any of  my family again  you will not be  so lucky."

The  theives gather  their  weapons  and  wounded  and  ride off.

"  You let  them go !"  exclaimed  Miles walking up  to Daniel,"  Do you think that was  a smart  move  ?"

"  Strange  question  coming  from someone  who  is  also  a   theif ,"  replies  Daniel,"  Perhaps  you  would  like  to  go  join  them.  Or  maybe  you knew  about  this  ambush ."

"  How  would  I have  known about  the  ambush?"  retorts   Daniel ,"   I  have had no contact  with  anyone other  then   the people  you see  around  us .  I  would  not put your family in harm's  way  ."

"  Need  I remind  you that  you kidnapped  my  sister ?"  Daniel  growls  at him.

" Will you two  stop arguing ," says Robert  walking up  to the two of  them.

"  I'm sorry,"  says  Daniel  turning  to  Miles,"  It is  just that once again,my  sister and  brother were put  in harms  way.   They are all i have  left,  and  I  will do  anything  to protect  them. "

"  I understand," replies  Miles  patting Daniel  on the  shoulder,"  Come  lets us  check on the  women  and   getting  moving  before  darkness  sets  in   on us. "

Will walks upto Miles  after Daniel walks  away  and  says  to him ," You know one of  the theives  was Luke's  brother Jed . How  come  you did not mention  this to Daniel ?"

" Because the poor lad ha  enough  to deal with right now,"  replies Miles,"  He is  still dealing with  the  pain of losing  his parents  and  he is  also  trying  to  protect  the only family  he  has left, plus  get use to his  new role  as  lord of  the manor.  I feel sorry for him, he has  a lot of  weight on his  shoulders  right  now."

"  Aye," agrees Will," Why  do you think Jed and  his gang were around here?  There is no way  they could have  known about Luke's  death  this  soon ."

" I think," answers Miles," that Luke  told his brother about  the ransom  and kidnapping plans. While Luke  may have planned to steal  the ransom  and  make off with   Cressida, I think Jed  also had plans of his own  for  the ransom.   I  think Jed has had men  staked out on some of  the roads  around here just waiting  for us  to  come  by ."

"And by the look on your face," replies Will," You do not think we  have  seen   the last of  them   do you ?"

" I  don't know ,"  sighs  Miles,"  so keep close to the  women  ."

DonaCatalina

The outer gatehouse of the Vyneyards was an unexpectedly welcome sight for Robert. When he had been on the spot previously, he had been worried sick about his sister as well as nervous about going to live with an uncle he barely knew. But after the past several days he was pleasantly surprised to find, that for now at least, his Uncle Thomas's manor house meant safety. Rob was no coward by any means, but he felt as if his world had taken an insane turn lately. If he had his way, he would be going back east to finish his squire's training. He missed the friends he had made among the other boy's in the Earl's household.

He reined in his horse until his sister caught up with him. "Luci!" he called out to her "Are you daydreaming again?" Her obvious distraction struck him as funny so he laughed in spite of the thunderous look that she gave him.

"I suppose I am a little tired" she answered him "So my thoughts were wandering a bit. Did you ask me something that I missed?"

Robert moved his horse a little closer as they continued to walk along. "Not in truth. I was thinking about going back to the Earl's when I realized that you were very quiet. You haven't been your usual self since we left the monastery."

Lucinda looked as if she would reply when they were interrupted by the watchmen on the gate.

"Hallo your Excellency!" one man called down "Your number has grown since you left us. Is that your good lady sister who returns with you?"

"Yes this is she" Daniel shouted back at him "As well as a wayward brother. Send word to my uncle that we've returned."

"I am sorry Sir" the guard replied "But the master has been recalled to Court. He is not here but a messenger will be sent to him straightaway."

As the gates were opened Rob moved closer to Daniel. "Who is this wayward brother you mentioned. As far as I know, I am the only brother you have."

In response Daniel turned a strange look on his younger sibling. Then he suddenly burst out in laughter when the wry humor finally registered. The playful slap to the back on the head that he gave Robert was returned by a mock blow to the shoulder. Both of them still laughed when they spurred their horses into a trot towards the house.

In his heart Rob was glad that they would have a day or two before their uncle returned and Daniel would be intent on planning his vengeance.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Tremayne

The mystery of Luke's brother Jed's attac on their group plagues Miles so that he could not rest even within safe comfortable surroundings. He and will shared a simple room. Miles lay on his back staring at the ceiling and listening to Will's shifting and grunting as the older man vainly attempted to find a resful position that didn't irritate one injury or another.

Miles didn't consider Jed particularly dangerous but his attack had Miles wondering if there was more afoot that would make finding the identity of the original contractor for the kidnapping more difficult, if not impossible.  He had assumed their contract for the kidnapping was singular, not one in a line-up. This was one of few contract jobs he had ever done and he had never failed so he didn't know what sort of back-up plans contractors engaged in. By all accounts, Luke had not been connected with their contact, Badger, or he wouldn't have let Lucinda free and tried to get the money from Miles himself by abducting Cressida. Luke and his brother had always been rivals. Though he may well have bragged to Jed about the job, he wouldn't have partnered up with him. But for all Miles knew, Jed may have been hired to take up the job after someone reported to their contractor that Miles' gang had fallen apart and Lucinda rescued. And even if Jed had found Luke's body, there was little likelihood of the attack being revenge. Jed would more likely have seen it as a victory to have outlasted his brother or an opportunity to fill his shoes. Suddenly it occurred to Miles that perhaps Jed was trying to free Miles and Will so they could join forces. But then he dismissed it. That did not seem the nature of the ambush. It was aimed at the nobles. So was it random or were they backup kidnappers? Had the disintegration of their band and the rescue of Lucinda gotten out so quickly? Peter had most likely been on his return journey informing Badger of the successful kidnapping when he stopped to question Miles with the mocking bird call. According to the contract, it would be assumed they were keeping Lucinda safe while a note for ransom was delivered, which should have arrived either yesterday or this very day. If the letter arrived, it may not indicate anything since the contractor may have learned of Lucinda's rescue after it was sent. But if the letter never arrived, then they would know for certain that the contractor knew the plan had failed. And there was no way to know whether he would give up the endeavor entirely or hire someone else.

Lady Amy of York

Lucinda  rose  early  the  next morning, dressed  and   made her  way to the  kitchen, where she  asked  one  of  the  cooks  to  prepare  a  picnic  basket   for  three.      She  then  had   notes  sent  to both  Daniel  and  Robert  asking  them  to  meet her in the  stables.   She  then asked  one  of  the  servants  to go out  to  the  stables  and   tell the  groomsmen that  she  wished  for  three of  the  best  riding horses  to be  saddled  up.

Faith  entered  the  kitchen, a  mixed look of  disapproval  and  relief   on her face. "  There   you  are,"  she  said  to  Lucinda,"  I  have been looking all over  for  you. Scared  me  half  to death  , you  did,  when  I  woke  and   did  not  find  you  in  your  bed.What are you doing up  so early ?"

"  I  thought  i  would  spend  the  day  with my brothers before  uncle  arrives  back..  Just  the  Daniel, Robert  and  I,  riding, and having  a picnic, just like  we use  to  do, before..before..... "      Lucinda fought  to  hide  back  the  tears.   Faith  took her,  in her arms  and  hugged her.

" Oh Faith,  I  do miss  them  so.   The  stories father use  to tell, the  songs  mother use  to  sing.   The  smell of  the  perfume  she use  to wear.    I........  "     She  heard Daniel's    and  Robert's  voices  in the  distance,   and grabbing a  handkerchief   from her pocket  she  quickly dabbed  away her tears .She could not  let  her  brothers see her  crying.
   "   Look at  me,  carrying on like  this,"   she  said   forcing  a laugh out of her,"   I  best  get  to the  stables."

DonaCatalina

A Court page handed his message to Lord Thomas, but did not wait for a reply as his instructions had not included that bit. The puzzled expression that the nobleman wore quickly turned into surprise, though it was followed quickly by a more worried mien.
He had not expected his nephew to actually find the kidnapped girl; much less rescue her and get her to the Vyneyards safely. He spared a brief moment of regret for the gold he had expended in his quest for information about the abduction. But he shrugged off the expense with the hope that it might still bear fruit.

Regardless of his friendship with the young prince, Lord Thomas standing at Court only entitled him to two attendants. After a thoughtful moment, he turned to the one on duty and ordered "Go find Rupert and tell him to make preparations for us to leave, probably not before morning." He waved the scrap of parchment in front of the man and continued "I will have to explain to his Highness that I have yet another family crisis to manage. Be sure to tell Rupert that everyone at the town house needs to be brought along."

The man bowed curtly and started off before Thomas shouted at his retreating back "Wait Richard! On second thought, we'll leave two or three behind in the event of further messages. Between the two of you, you should be able to decide whom we shall bring along and whom we shall leave." Richard nodded in acknowledgement of his new instructions and walked quickly away.

Thomas sighed as he watched his man vanish down the long corridor. The prince would be unhappy if he missed the hunt planned for tomorrow. Perhaps a way could be found to sweeten his mood later. As he walked towards the Prince's public chambers, Thomas considered the possibility of inviting his Royal master and friend north. The forests around his late brother's castle had always boasted fine boar hunting. The prospect of a plan lightened the nobleman's mood by the time he reached the outer receiving room.

Meanwhile at the Vyneyards manor house, Daniel was making good use of his uncle's master at arms. Miles had thought that he was pretty good with most weapons until coming up against this man. The short wiry man who everyone referred to as Master Den was quick as a snake. Three times in a row he had disarmed Miles before it was Daniel's turn to spar. He should have known something was up when the wily Welshman who followed Daniel everywhere had declined a bout with Master Den. That day had seen all of them drilling with swords, knives and bows. Miles had even been surprised at Daniel's level of skill. That the younger man had some extensive training was apparent, but his natural skill with a sword made Miles give him a second and a third consideration. Time and more training might turn the young baron into a formidable weapon.

By the time Master Den called a halt, every man on the training ground was tired sweaty and dirty. The manor house boasted a cold pool and a steam room. Miles still viewed the nobility with a jaundiced eye, but as they headed for a bath, Miles was in complete agreement with Daniel.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Amy of York

While Daniel, Miles, and Robert were off practicing their skills  with the  sword, Lucinda sat in her  room  moping about.

" What are you sulking about ?" Faith  asks her," Why yesterday you were up early planning a picnic, and now you are sulking. What has happen to change  your mood ?"

" I'm bored  to tears !" exclaims Lucinda,"This may be  a grand manor house, but other then the serving maids   there are no other women here   to talk to besides you ."

" I'm not sure how  to interpret that comment," replies Faith feeling slightly hurt.

" Oh, Faith, I mean you no resentment, I just mean  , this house  seems  dull and  stuffy.  The majority of the maids  and  servants  are  elders, and  they hardly speak to me, unless i speak to them first. I wonder when is the last time  anyone had  any  fun in this place. "

Lucinda  pauses  for  a few minutes, then a  smile comes onto her face  and  she  turns  to Faith and  exclaims "  That's It !"

" What are you talking about ?' inquires Faith.

"we shall throw a party here at the manor, no not a party a grand  ball, yes, a grand  ball,  and invite  all the  local neighbors. that way i can meet  some of   the local  women who live  around  here."

"You are forgetting this is your uncle's home  and you are a guest here," implies  Faith.

" But dear Faith," replies Lucinda, If  i am to live here, then surely I should not be  denied  one  small ball, should  I ?"

Faith lets out a sigh and  shakes her head, knowing that there will be no arguing with Lucinda, forshe knows  that when Lucinda  makes up her mind  to do something there is  no  stopping her.

DonaCatalina

Lord Thomas was tired, sore and irritable when he finally reached the gates of his home. The last two days had been spent in the saddle from dawn to dusk in order to arrive as quickly as possible. This whole issue of his niece and nephews seemed to be spiraling out of control.

As he painfully slid down from the saddle he noticed and inordinate amount of activity in the great hall. He stopped the first servant who passed and asked "Where are my nephews?" Wide-eyed, the girl curtsied and replied "My Lord, I believe they are both in the armory yard with Master Den."

Lord Thomas swore and stalked into the house. It seemed to him that the successful conclusion of his adventure had given his young baron an inflated opinion of his abilities. He hoped without hope that Daniel had been satisfied with the return of his sister. Anything like an attempt at vengeance was likely to end in disaster.

True enough, Thomas found both his nephews at the practice ring. Though the man who he saw sparring with Master Den was the one that Thomas vaguely remembered as the captured outlaw. This certainly needed to be explained. Every man present went still as Lord Thomas stalked up to the ring.

"Your Excellency" he addressed Daniel formally "Would you mind telling me why you are training a known outlaw in armed combat?"

Daniel replied just as formally "My Lord Uncle, I have taken these three men into my service in reward for their assistance in liberating my sister. I admit that I took liberties in employing your arms master, and I ask pardon for that. Angus is the man in the ring now, Miles and Will stand over there next to Robert."

"I see" Thomas acquiesced "And what exactly is going on in my house?"

This time Daniel blushed and exposed his youth. "Again my lord, I ask pardon" he said in a quieter voice "Lucinda wanted a ball and would not be gainsaid."

At this, Thomas allowed himself a small smile. "A ball may be just the right move" he told his nephew "As long as you can keep those three ruffians out of sight, and we act as if this little adventure never happened. It pays to keep your opponents guessing."

Lord Thomas headed back to the house savoring the prospect of a long hot bath. Daniel jumped and ran after him. "Are we not going to seek out the man behind my sister's abduction?" the young baron asked angrily.  Thomas stopped and made sure no one was in earshot. "My dear nephew" he replied "All in good time. I have spent a goodly amount of coin in the hopes of gathering information. Let us give those seeds time to sprout." The nobleman continued on his way leaving Daniel dumbstruck behind him.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Amy of York

Miles approached Daniel and  said  to him," Did I overhear you and Lord Thomas correctly? Did he agree to the ball your sister is planning?"

"You sir  should not listen in to a private coversation," replied Daniel,"but yes, you did hear correctly. He did agree to the ball."

" I have  to be  honest ,"  Miles tells Daniel,"  I feel  abit uneasy  about  this  ball  ."

"  Afraid, you will embarrass  yourself  because  you can't dance  ," teases Daniel,"  Well you don't have  to worry about that, because   Lord Thoma  does not want you anywhere near him."

" Oh, i know how  to dance  my friend," replies  Miles," No, I  am concern about everyone's  safety, especially your  sister's.  Her abducter is  still out there, and  could use   the ball as   an oppurtunity  to  strike  again."

DonaCatalina

The evening of the Ball arrived and everything seemed to be going smoothly. Even Prince Edward had decided to attend. Of course that meant evryone within a hundred miles found an excuse to attend, whether they were invited or not.

Lucinda was rapturously happy to see some many guests. Most of the unmarried men assumed that this Ball was a chance for Lord Thomas to show off his niece, and possibly arrange a more advantageous marriage. For exactly that reason Baron Worley and his eldest son Colin were also in attendance.

Colin approached Luci as soon as they arrived "I assume you will save the first and last dance for me."
His manner bother pleased and flustered Lucinda. She liked the idea that he might be jealous, but she did not like his possesive manner. Perhaps Colin resembled his father more than she had thought.
Judging that she had hesitated just long enough, she replied "Of course, we are still officially engaged. It would be poor manners for me to dance the last dance with anyone else."

Robert over heard this exchange from the seat he had found in a corner. He knew how to dance well, but at his age he was unlikely to dance with anyone besides his sister. He had heard the tension in Colin's voice, perhaps more than Luci had. When Luci turned to greet more of the arriving guests, Colin went on into the ballroom. Something made Robert get up and follow him. When Colin crossed the room, Rob almost lost him in the crowd. Light reflected off something to the left and drew his eye. Rob turned towards it and saw that one of the tall mullioned windows opened; then Colin stepped out through it.

Rob peered through to make sure no one was watching, then stepped through himself. He saw Colin and another tall man standing under the trees not far off. As he froze in place he caught the tail end of a conversation.

"I didn't have a choice. If my father says I'm going with him, then I go with him." Colin's voice said.
"It would be better if you kept your distance from this business." the unknown man commented.
"Do you think I don't know that?" Colin asked angrily "I'll just act normally and we'll get through this ball and then go home."

The silhouette of the other man nodded before he pulled a hood up on his head.
"There will be a message at the usual place within two days" was the last thing he said before he disappeared into the trees.

Rob knew he had to tell Daniel about this, but he also knew that he couldn't let Colin see him. As Luci's betrothed walked back towards the open window, Rob shrank back into the hedge. The older man passed by without seeing Robert.

When the window closed, Rob let out a ragged breath and went to find Daniel.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess